New Ideas for the site and Questions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Chazz, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

IDEAS:
    Well besides the "Chatroom" Idea i was about to say *L*

Members Page:
    What about a member count on the members page. Just keeps a count of the total members that we have on here.

Club Dirrectory:
    Love the way you have to done by countries. In the US section, is there any way that the listing can be arranged by states (such as an easy bullet method) it would just make it easy to find school that people may be looking for.

Question:
    What does the Jr. Member status mean? Is there anyway to be higher that that and if so how and what?

Thanks for reading
    PS. TKD PEOPLE NEED TO POST *LOL*

2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Hey Chazz,

The number of members is displayed at the top of the forum page at present we have 63.

We will eventually move the US to states but at the moment we don't feel we have enough clubs to justify this.

Jr. Member just goes by the number of posts you have made, in your case Chazz you will be a senior citizen in no time at the rate you are posting. LOL keep it up.

Hope this has answered some of your questions.

Keep the ideas coming

Cooler.

3. Chazz

Cooler

*LOL* thanks, Thats nice of you to say. Just making friendly suggestions *LOL*

4. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

All suggestions are welcome.

Cooler.

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

One thing I have come accross a lot of on other forums is the same old people always posting! Normally they are Dans (Sempei, Sensei Teachers) of all sorts and although their imput is very important and we learn a great deal from such people - it could be a little intimidating for lower belts such as me, to ask questions, etc.

Perhaps we could ask some of the members (as time goes on) to volunteer their names, grades and styles and be available for questioning? Perhaps have a dedicated area for these people to check out questions from us underlings and we wait with bated breath for their response? I am sure I am not the only karateka out there that has had this problem (?)

Just an idea...

Melanie

6. Chazz

Melanie,
    I like that idea, and ide start by offering mine to everyone. 1st Dan Black Belt, ITF Tae Kwon Do

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

That is a good idea. And if the powers that be here set up a special place for this, I will assume that they can transfer whatever info is here over to that new place ... or I'll have to transfer it myself :)

Anyway ... my background is pretty diverse. I've officially trained in a handful of arts including TKD, Okinawan Goju-Ryu, Sikal, Shen Chuan, Pentjak Silat Serak, Doce Pares/Eskrido, and Kun Tao Silat de Thouars. I've been exposed to some degree or another to a whole slew of other arts/systems/styles and have a pretty broad base of general MA knowledge.

Specific ranks:

Guru Satu (first level instructor) in Sikal (a hybrid of elements from several Filipino Kali and Indonesian Pentjak Silat systems)

3rd Dan in Doce Pares/Eskrido (though it's more a matter of recognition than of specific study ... GM Cacoy assigned me that rank because I've go the various elements of Eskrido but, for instance, my throws tend to come from Silat instead of Judo where his come from ... but the same principles are employed)

I'm always open to answering questions. If I can't answer a given question (i.e.: about Judo, for instance ... which I've been exposed to but never formally trained in) I will always try to refer you to someone who can answer it.

Mike

8. Ghostsuit

Ghostsuit Designer

Ok Let's see if I can answer some of this...

Chat: Looking at one at the moment should have it ready by next week sometime. :D

Members page: as cooler said it's at the top.

Club Dirrectory: As cooler said we'll change this as required.

Custom User Status: At the moment this is set up to be

• Junior Member (Minimum Posts: 0)
    • Member (Minimum Posts: 30)
    • Senior Member (Minimum Posts: 100)

however if you've been registered for 10 days and made at least 10 posts you will be able to change this for yourself to more or less anything as long as it's not rude ;)

Questions and Answers area: We would hope that people don't feel intimidated to ask questions, I guess this will come down to how friendly we all sound on the board. However I'm not eactly sure what you mean about the questions and answers area as we already have one set up, could you expand on it a little more? Do you mean seperate sections with in the forum or an ask sensei area for example?

Volunteers: We will ask members to join us as moderators of the board as we grow. I'm also looking at ways to change the user profile to be more informative with more information being held there for those who wish to submit it.

Hope that helps and keep the questions coming :)

9. waya

waya Valued Member

I agree with the backgrounds being posted for questions and such.
    I am a 2nd Dan in Shotokan, a 6th Gup in Hapkido (yep beginner again and loving it lol) and currently about to test for my 1st Dan in TKD. I have also been exposed to and train intermittently in JKD but not necessarily looking to get rank, mostly just for exposure to the techniques and attacks that it has. I do alot of studying on the history of various arts just out of personal interest since I am a history nut. Some of the info I have found on Hapkido and TKD are on the site I put together for the school I train at under US Clubs (Royal Dragon Academy).

Rob

10. Chazz

Killer, Im glad to see another TKD martial artist on here. I think another way to let people know that they can ask you about your style is to put it in your BIO section of you info page along with your rank and style. Thants what i will do any ways

-Chazz

11. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi!

Another suggestion for you lot. In this expanse called my brain I have been rattling around a idea for a couple of days now and wondered what you would think of it.

Scenarios - Basic scenarios of real or fictional moments where we ask other styles and grades how they would react and see what variations and different ends they could come up with.

What do you think people?

Melanie

12. Chazz

I think it's a killer idea. I dont know about you all but ide take part in this. Ya never know, this sounds like a good way to learn from each other.

Great Idea, ;-)
    Take Care
    -Chazz