New Here

Discussion in 'Karate' started by binski20, Oct 31, 2002.

1. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I am new to the boards here, and just thought I would introduce myself along with my question.
    Real name is Byron. I studied Taekwondo in high school for about 2 years up to a green belt. I have currently been boxing for about a year and a half. I have a long term gf and a 4 month old son. I am looking to pursue martial arts once again, no dignity, respect or teachings about imporving the inner self in boxing.

Here is my question:
    The only karate school I have here is a shotokan one, associated with the JSA (is that right?). Was wondering if someone could explain shotokan ie. basic style. I also wondered if there are any sweeps or throws taught in it?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to sharing with all of you.

Keep Training!
    binski20

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Welcome to the forum Byron.
    I trained Shotokan as my primary system for quite some time. I was taught most very basic sweeps and throws, but I understand some schools do go more in depth in this. It's a rigid system , but, as with basically any system, definitely can be an effective art for self defense if it's taught properly. There are several people on the forum I believe still actively training in different Shotokan schools who can probably be alot of help to you with the specifics of how it's currently taught. I'm training Hapkido more than anything else myself at the moment.

Rob

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

welcome to the forum byron...
    i m curious why u lookin specifically for "Shotakan"?? if u try out u'll find other arts...like Wing Chun, Mantis, Hung Gar, TKD, Hapkido, Taichi these arts hav teacher almost every where(expect minee :( ) especially in west, u hav to find out...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Shotokans a great style to train in. At the begining of your training the emphasis is on conditioning and power, learning only a few basic strikes/kicks/blocks. Later on the emphasis is on developing strike speed and mobility.

As Waya said, most schools will only teach basics (punch, kick, block, sweep), kata, basic Self Defence Techniques and sparring drills. If your lucky, your school will teach kata applications and really stress the SD side!

Good Luck

5. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I have very limited options where I live. Boxing, judo, shotokam and taekwondo. That's it. I have heard good things about the shotokan school, which is what made me lean that way.

6. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Why not go to them all? Go down and ask if you can participate/view a couple classes of each school then make the descion based on what you see and think.

7. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I m just saying Hello.

8. Kosokun

Kosokun Valued Member

Shotokan is the parent art of most, if not all, TKD styles.
    The founders of most of the major Kwans that came together to form Tae Kwon Do, were all students of either Gichin Funakoshi, or one of Funakoshi's students. (Funakoshi was the founder of Shotokan and the 5 kwans were Song mu kwan, Oh Do Kwan, Mu duk kwan, Ji do kwan and Chung mu kwan).

*note* the founder of the Chung mu kwan was actually a student of Kanken Toyama (Shudokan Karate do).

Rob

9. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

Just taking time to welcome you Byron. I know I am late and you've had alot of responses.....so.......I'll just say enjoy the forums. I'm sure you will.