New guy

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Eclectic_Fist, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Eclectic_Fist

Eclectic_Fist Valued Member

My name is Jon. I actually came here a few years ago, but with my life picking up, my input sort of fell off sadly.

Art: I just started Muay Thai again, but I am now in a school that sticks to traditions (My previous did not), and has amazing training. The school also offers BJJ, and I intend to start that as well, but I'm going to wait about a month. After some time, I want to incorporate Wing Chun into my training, but I still don't know how I'm going to do it. My brother and his best friend have mixed backgrounds with WC incorporated into their standup, but all they have given me are quotes and statements. lol

Most of my previous experience is with Boxing, Kickboxing, and Tae Kwon Do. I've practiced some others (MMA, Kyukido, Hapkido, and more), but I really am no expert, and after a two year hiatus from practicing anything, I have a lot of work to do to get back to my old self and to get even better. My Khru here doesn't play either. lol

Other hobbies: Mountain biking, running, music, computers, the internet, exercise, chatting, and many more.

I'm a fairly open book, so feel free to ask any pressing questions!
    Thanks for having me.

2. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

welcome to MAP

3. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Welcome back to MAP, Jon! :)

4. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Croeso/Failte/Welcome, my advice would be to wait on mixing things up too much and get a much deeper understanding of a core art, then do serious cross training if you want. Dipping in and out of stuff is okay- i occasionally do Aikido, Lau Gar, some Chin na and Preying Mantis. But different strokes for different folks!

5. Eclectic_Fist

Eclectic_Fist Valued Member

I agree with you. I think I won't start Wing Chun until about five or six months where I've made some great progress in my striking and grappling.

6. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Well, it's up to you, but unless you learn incredibly fast (or possess a time squashing machine) i was really thinking years rather than months. After a few months you may have understood and even remember techniques, but they are unlikely to be 'in your body'- i think a lot of mine still aren't after 6 years.
    Best of luck.