New Fiore manuscript

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by lklawson, Sep 26, 2008.

1. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I'm surprised I haven't seen it reported here. It seems to be burning up the WMA 'net. Apparently, about a year ago, Ken Mondschein found a previously unknown Fiore manuscript, by accident, misfiled in a Paris collection.

He paid to have it scanned (not an insignificant amount) and now low-res images have shown up online (not good enough quality to read the verses, but you can kinda make out most of the illustrations if you squint).

The text is, apparently, short verses or couplets in Latin and the illustrations are color. Current thinking is that it doesn't show much "new" but the illustrasions show slight differences (according to those who know).

Ken claims that he is going to be publishing it but it may take some time.

http://images.bnf.fr/jsp/index.jsp?contexte=accueil&destination=accueil.jsp

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Kirk...
    thats italian ....we're all 'german' ... we dont care! :whistle:

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The Italians did longsword? ;)

The Bear.

4. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

"There is but one art of Longsword."

[ducking]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah and it's German the rest are just watered down versions. :D

The Bear.

6. RAbid Hamster

ironically one of our membership is italian and HE does german as well!
    Think that says a lot.

7. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

...and the website written in Frankish lol..

8. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Asides from Stolenbjorn, are there any "Fiore-ists" on the board? I've wanted to learn a bit in case I have to fight any. :)

-Mark

9. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

The document was found, misfiled, in a private French collection. No one is sure how a manuscript about an Italian style, written in Latin, printed on Polish paper, made it's way into a French collection.

Some have speculated that the French might have, er, "liberated" it during one of their campaigns. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Mark Lancaster

Mark Lancaster Valued Member

We do Fiore almost exclusively.

We've seen the German stuff, but decided to stay with a proper fighting system :p

11. RAbid Hamster

Mark ... didnt the best placed italian longsworder at Autumn Exchange (the BFHS tourney) this weekend come THIRD with German FIRST and SECOND and weren't both of those german longsworders SCOTTISH? :happy: Perhaps you haven't seen german done right! :whistle:

ps technically one german longsworder is an italian ... but we nationalized him! :)

above mocking dependant on me having got the right end of a brief message

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  12. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Scotland der Tüchtige!

Any footage of the tourny?

13. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi George.....

Shouldn't that read, "german longsworders trained in Scotland"...
    2nd placed Marco is Italian, and I'm guessing from his accent that 1st placed Martin isnt a Scot either (?) - apologies to Martin if he's a well spoken east coaster!:)

Louie

14. RAbid Hamster

My tribe therefore must be Scots! This racial stuff is easy if you think of it like this.

15. Louie

:) We're aw G. D's Bairns...

BTW, gave Martin a deja vu moment when he thought I'd put another hole in his hand today! :eek:
    Louie

16. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Sorry for a late reply; I've been fighting for 3 days :D

Yep, I've been doing fiore for some years now, and as for italian vs german.... it's a stupid discussion. The borders weren't there back in the good old days. The way I see Fiores system, it's an "anti-liechtenauer-system", and have nothing to do with italy, france or germany per se.

Fiore puts a lot of emphasis on describing the state of the art wresteling and fighting, and representing some counters that he have found to be effective, and who -if kept secret will surprise the opponent, as the counter doesn't play along the logical liechtenauer-line.

-IMHO that is :)

17. Mark Lancaster

:D Hi RAbid, but we're London based and couldn't make it up there! Anyhow, I read the DDS rules and there was a definite German bias (something about anyone liking pitza is demoted two places :wow:).

Cheers,

Mark

18. Mark Lancaster

Hi there - not too sure I agree with you here. Having done more research than I consider healthy into the period, the one thing that keeps coming through is that, although there wasn't an Italian state, there was definitely an Italian identity. I think it's fair to call Fiore's system Italian - it certainly travelled from Friuli to a large part of northern Italy - Milan. Ferrara/Parma, Pavia, Padua, etc.

I tend to look at this as a complete martial system (unarmed through varous weapons) that is correct for his time and situation in Italy.

Sorry for the speach :eek:

19. Louie

Hi Mark....

I'm pretty sure ONE of the Exiles was there on his own (cursing you all for not showing up :)) - we did a bit of Freeplay together - but I met so many new faces over the weekend his name escapes me for the moment:thinking:

As to the rules, IMHO they were more on the side of the defensive player and not the blitzkreiger and we saw the lightest of touches scoring!
    Great warmup for the Free-play though. :evil:

Louie

20. Mark Lancaster

Hi Louie,

That would be Ken - a new(ish) member of the small study group we have up in Carlisle (which is much more local than trying to get up from London :eek:)

Yeah, it's a hard one getting those rules balanced properly - I'm not a fan of point scoring, but hats off to the DDS as I know Ian has put a lot into getting their rules together and pushed out.

Free play - now that's where it is :evil:

Louie[/QUOTE]