New Doctor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ap Oweyn, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well, that's the bind isn't it. In fact, Idris Elba said that of the James Bond rumour. He didn't want to be "the black James Bond." But, really, how could he NOT be? As pointed out, there was an uproar when they cast a blond-haired, blue-eyed Bond.

Similarly, any against-type Doctor would have their work cut out for them.

It's an interesting question. But I'm obviously mostly hoping the new guy is entertaining to watch, bottom line.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Me too, but it's not frontline in my worries about equality.

Mitch

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Would it?
    I mean, how long could they string that out for?

Is Doctor Who about individual gender, or skin colour? Are we still stuck in that place?

4. ned

ned Valued Member

tom baker was the classic doctor for me too-quirky,slightly anarchic and acting just the right side of 'hammy'.Funny thing is when you see him nowadays(which is rare)he seems
    exactly the same!

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Must be an age thing, Tom Baker is my favourite too!

Mitch

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

All the best MAPers like Tom Baker! :D I started to lose interest in the series once he left and eventually stopped watching around the time of Colin Baker. The hype over this Dr makes me cringe, as have the few episodes of the recent incarnation of the series I've watched. I just find it too cheesy and camp for my liking. As for the gender/race issues, for me Dr Who is a white male and it has never even occurred to me to think of him as anything else, or be upset that he hasn't been a female yet.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I'm disappointed to see Matt Smith go, I thought he was good. I'm curious if they will imply a big gap where lots happened to explain why he is now an older man? Especially if they are keeping Clara Oswald in the story. As far as I am aware each regeneration is supposed to live for centuries before getting old. I don't see that putting in a black actor would have done anything except let them say, "look, we are using a black actor here".

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

9. David Harrison

I'm not fussed about Dr. Who. I kind of liked Christopher Ecclestone, because he had a bit of a menacing edge. The last two were far too wet (I live with a Dr. Who fan, so I have to make the most of it, which is tough since they ditched the Delia Derbyshire theme).

I was hoping for Grace Jones to be the next doctor, or failing that Gregor Fisher.

Was I the only one suspecting River to be a regeneration of the doctor when she first appeared?

I'm just glad this one wasn't Miranda Hart, because she is rubbish.

Peter Capaldi is a great actor, and should be a welcome relief to the wet young'uns they've had, but I do see it as a lack of vision on behalf of the producers. Dr. Who is not a white guy, Dr. Who is an interdimensional being capable of inhabiting any humanoid form.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A season.
    You are arguing that it is about individual gender and skin colour. My argument is that it shouldn't be a factor in casting decisions.

11. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

You're the one who's bemoaning the production team for not casting someone of a different ethnicity or gender to an established role.

You're making it an issue. "Oh no! BBC are racist and sexist!"

Just accept, the character is a white male.

12. David Harrison

No one said the decision was racist or sexist, just that it was a bit disappointing they played it safe.

I don't even watch the show much, and I know that the character only inhabits the forms of white males - the actual Time Lord is more than the forms they take.

You've shown a double lack of imagination: that the Dr. is merely the forms they inhabit, and that calls for a different form have to be a result of "political correctness gone mad", rather than wanting a chance to explore new horizons with the character.

13. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Where are you getting the idea that Doctor Who is an inter-dimensional being? They lived in the same universe as humans, they just are capable of regenerating when injured or worn out for a total of 12 times. I expect that to be ignored however given how popular the series still is.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, gotta say I wasn't really expecting heated debate on this one.

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

The BBC have already tested the concept of a female Doctor (17.00 onwards after Hugh Grant's Doctor):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM"]Rowan Atkinson is Doctor Who - Classic Comic Relief - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think that Peter Capaldi is a great choice. I wasn't keen on Matt Smith at all.

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I didn't at first, I was too sad seeing Tennant leave, then I watched a few when I was bored one evening. I didn't mind Smith as the Doctor in the end but I didn't really like any of the plots. The episodes all felt a bit too...meh. Like they ran out of ideas or a few times decided to go a bit over the top. I've never seen the old series before Eccleston though so I might just not get the spirit of the Doctor Who series.

Also Smith always seemed to be angrier and more of a douche. One of the cool things about having Tennant's doctor being happier, or at east pretending to be, was that when he did get angry, or scared I suppose like in Midnight, it had more of an impact.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think this is a very exciting time and we should all calm down a little....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59guruVL4o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59guruVL4o[/ame]