New chest guard

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, May 10, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's time for a new belly pad/chest guard.

I'm currently using the one below and have had it for years.

The thickness of it means you can take a shot of any power, but it's not flexible enough to wrap around your body, meaning angling off and throwing body shots is out of the question.

Belly Pad.jpg

I want something that can take a powerful kick, but is more flexible.

I could go for something like this but would prefer something that protects the entire chest area.

It only takes a kick to the ribs under the armpit and the traditional belly pad is rendered useless.

I'm thinking of this type of guard, but I'm not sure it's man enough.

Your help please.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I've actually been on the same hunt. I need something which can take hard push kicks with the heel and body shots to the ribs as well.

I think I've finally settled on this -> http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Traine...8&qid=1431305204&sr=1-8&keywords=Ring+to+cage

[​IMG]

Ring to Cage has a good rep, the sides look fairly thick. The only complaint I've heard about their body protectors is that it's a little restrictive on the arms when trying to hold Thai pads in front. My only real concern with this one will be whether it sits high enough on the chest to substitute for striking to the face (on that top section) while I have students practice trapping drills.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've got something you can try and it's yours for free if you want it Simon. I'll send you some pics.

I can't do it can I? I'm actually incapable of typing something that doesn't sound rude. :D

Mitch

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

:D

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank you kind Sir.

Honestly members, if only you knew. :saz:

6. liero

liero Valued Member

There is an old (comparatively) chest guard which was one of the early Taekwondo electronic scoring systems. It was the Adidas pressure sensitive. A little heavier than the existing ones, but it had a layer of what I assume is adamantium in it. Protected me on many occasions from an unstoppable heavy weight back kick. The technology is so outdated and it's not used anymore in competitions or practice, you could pick one up for next to nothing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0OdI0v9oYE"]Adidas Electronic Body Protector - YouTube[/ame]

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

What style are you using the pads for?

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I use something similar, and like Simon I find they don't curl around the body particularly well.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am necro'ing this thread because it is that or start a new one on the same subject. After 14 years of valiant service, the strap broke away from the body of my very first chest protector. Rest in Peace!

So, I need a new one for sparring, and am a bit overwhelmed by choices. Now, I have a thinner Kwon one, but I want one that is heavier. I guess mid range? I want one that protects me on days where the hitting is full on power days and I don't want to feel the impact like the thinner ones. Say, leading up to tournaments or test dates, where I am being extra cautious.

But it needs to not make my arms jut out like some of the really heavy ones do. I want proper arm motions, not chicken wings. So, I guess a mid level protection one is what I am looking for.

Another concern is that some chest protectors are built for male bodies. And they don't sit well on female hip structure. It makes them ride up.

I would like thoughts on the ones I post below or any other ideas you may have on ones you like.

Here are a couple of choices I have found searching on Amazon. This one is the one I am leaning towards right now. I like that it says it doesn't limit motion of arms.

https://www.amazon.com/RDX-Taekwond...R18WTYYZ68DFF7N7P&refRID=RKFR18WTYYZ68DFF7N7P

[​IMG]

This one is a possibility

https://www.amazon.com/wesing-Martial-protector-70kg-75kg-154lb-165lb/dp/B01MZ0UPBT/ref=sr_1_34?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1550997971&sr=1-34&keywords=martial+arts+chest+protector&th=1&psc=1

[​IMG]

Here is another one, but it might be too light. Too similar to the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Martial-Boxi...=9061183&hvtargid=pla-349798051611&th=1&psc=1

[​IMG]

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Not sure what kind of impact protection you are looking for @aaradia, but we (my club) recently trialled the RDX chest protector, and we found it to be severely lacking - In my opinion, the images online do not give an accurate idea of the thickness of the padding, which we felt was a little on the thin side, and not fit for purpose.

Worth noting though, that our hands were not padded (bare knuckles) during our tests, and that all techniques (kicks and punches) were delivered to a stationary target, so they might be better suited to protection for a moving target, from somebody wearing the appropriate hand coverings.

Travess

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Thanks Travess,

I did end up trying the RDX one and so far I am very happy with it! I personally had a different experience from you as I found it to look about what I thought it would look like from the image. I have worn it in sparring class a bit now and it took me through my last tournament.

It feels light and I don't have the chicken wing issue. It doesn't ride up my hips. It has taken some heavy kicks and protected me well. Yes, I feel them, but I don't want one so heavy I don't feel anything. Like the Amazon reviews, I think the clips in back could use improvement. I tend to just have it in place and slip it over my head, because it is hard to clip in the back.

One of the Sifu's from another location liked it so much he asked where I got it. I sent him the link via Facebook.

I would recommend it at this point. I don't know how well it will hold up over time. We will see.

Travess likes this.
  12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

That's great to hear aaradia, I'm glad that you had a much more favourable experience with yours, than we did with ours - This certainly is more fitting with how I'd expect a review of an RDX product to read, given that (generally speaking) they do usually deliver exactly what the buyer/wearer is looking for.

Travess