New CBD Article - Protecting Against Rust: Part III

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by lklawson, Jul 17, 2009.

1. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Another good article, Kirk :)

3. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Glad you like it. The free webhosting service was giving me fits last night. Didn't want to display the html page. Kept giving generic 500 errors.

Strangely enough atspace would serve out the individual pics, just not THAT html. Other html docs in the new dir would serve up just fine, just not that one.

I thought maybe I'd made an error in the markup code when writing the doc but it served fine off of my personal server (Apache) and none of the basic error checking (gedit, kedit, OOWriter) noted any issues. (though I've never known free hosting services to pre-scan html for errors before serving it up)

Really had me frustrated.

Then this morning, out of the blue, it "just started working."

I'd considered that atspace claims they have a "delay" before serving out uploaded content as live, but the were serving out the pics and other html docs I placed in that dir so I figured that couldn't be it.

I HATE it when stuff just spontaneously "fixes" itself. Makes me nervous. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Thanks Kirk, Shocker on the Mineral oil which is what I use. Probably why I spend so much time having to clean my sword. Definitely food for though if I have to store weapons for any length of time.
    Fantastic piece of work here and long forward to more.

The Bear.

5. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Yeah. Really surprised me too. I've used it for various tasks myself in the past. Still, it performed as well as the Rem Oil and has the triple advantages of being readily available, inexpensive, and historically accurate.

So far the biggest surprise for me was the WD-40. I'd just totally accepted that WD-40 was awful stuff for this sort of task and I'd be condemned to some Dante-esque ring of Hell reserved for people who torture small rodents, steal from their relatives, and use WD-40 on swords.

Thanks. I'm really glad you find it interesting and hope that many find it useful. Next test (which I admittedly haven't started yet. :p ) is currently slated to be Renaissance Wax, Food Grade Silicone, 3-in-1, and a surprise entrant (maybe two).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  6. Ur Anaite

Ur Anaite tabi cos only 2 toes

I definitely can't see part III in that article list. Is it just that I am daft or is it somehow hidden from Eastern Martial Art practitioners?

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Hmmm, your right. Part three isn't there any more :confused:

8. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

It's some flake with my freebie hosting service. The article is there, in the path listed. However, for some reason, the hosting service web server isn't presenting it. Not sure why.

This happened the first few hours that I published then it magically rectified itself.

I'm still working and making this issue vanish.

I guess this is the price I pay for using a freebie service. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

OK. I got it figured out now.

Seems that the free hosting service I have been using, atspace.com, has a filter in their web server that automatically redacts any web page that contains a reference to things that they might consider abuse. In this case, my web page contained the word "eBay" and atspace's rules didn't like it so it cropped the whole page and issued a worthless 500 error.

I ended up trimming the page and adding back in slowly by slowly until I zeroed in on "eBay"

I don't mind atspace having these sort of rules, but BLAST IT, it would have been nice if I could have gotten some sort of useful error so I knew what was causing the issue. :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk