New Bo Staff Tricks!!!(Neck Rolls and Release Moves)

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by xmawut, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

forced breathing at the beginning, doing both reis like he was hitting something, unnecessary scream, scream kata name excessively loud, he flails his head and hips while he moves, bounces around and stamps the ground to create a beat and looks like he is dancing. i heard three loud kiais and two more subtle ones when he swings the bo like a baseball bat.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ifYevF2RSiY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=se6zDqyciAg(full speed at about 3:40, just ignore the school intro)

these are what i would refer to as "traditional" bo kata.

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Can I point out that theres no plural in Japanese? Its one bo, two bo, a dozen bo, a gi, 500 gi, 4 kiai.

I had to say that before someone like Steve shows up ;)

3. Fish Of Doom

but i like talking in japangrish :D

4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Awesome. :)

IMO, all this XMA stuff is a load of utter bollocks. Either you can fight or you can't. Everything else is optional. And if you spend your time doing flashy forms with a "bo staff" (a redundant sterm), that's less time you have for learning how to actually fight with one.

If that's what turns your crank, go for it. Go play rhythmic gymnastics with a gi. I'm hoping for nipple tassels to go with my longsword myself.

Best regards,

-Mark

5. xmawut

xmawut New Member

haha this man stumbles on the last move even doesn't complete his strikes and is half the power... but still a nice form :) .... clearly I was wrong to post some talent on this forum cuz alot of you are forgeting the first thing martial arts teaches you is respect of other karate-ka .. thanks for the comments but I know what a good bo staff form is... have a good one

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The first thing martial arts teaches you is RESPECT FOR THE ART turning it into a circus is NOT showing it respect.

regards koyo

7. xmawut

xmawut New Member

there are many different "ARTS" and what people enjoy... this doesn't look like a circus to me it takes alot of skill to perform open extreme bo.... clearly you dont apprieciate skill in that form so if you didn't want to see new bo tricks then why did you click the link.... just so you had something to bitch about?

8. Fish Of Doom

well, i didn't say they were good, i said those were what i considered traditional :p.
    and i would like the XMAer's kata a LOT more if he didn't thrash his head and hips around so much. the way it stands right now i wouldn't be surprised to hear on the news "Extreme martial artist dies at demonstration, severs own spinal cord", a few days from now. AFAIK, no style would teach such a way of moving, since it would be counterproductive both to your martial prowess and probably to your health.

9. PlasmaShock

PlasmaShock Valued Member

Everybody stop giving this guy attention. He goes on different forums and repeatedly posts his videos trying to get views. Especially one forum called trickstutorials.com, he has at least 20 topics about a couple of the same videos that he is trying to advertise.

10. koyo

Could be..OR maybe I have been training for decades and hold a teaching cerificate in weapons from one of the most respected shihan in Japan and know what I am looking at..who knows?

regards koyo

Attached Files:

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Damn straight.

-Mark

12. Shirusawa H.

Shirusawa H. Valued Member

He looks really stiff and tense in the traditional video. And I think the extra loud kiai are totally unnecessary. He should also note where he is looking and shouldn't jump to one technique to another so soon I think.

13. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Just insert a little sparring and then he'll realise what he's doing wrong =P

14. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Personally, I like XMA and performance wushu better than "Traditional" forms, because at least they (generally) admit that their forms aren't about fighting. And while I think the excessive screaming in XMA is dumb, some of the tricking is pretty cool. I think I'm going to have to try those under-arm over-neck rolls with my three section cudgel.
    All of you people criticizing the lack of martial application..... how much of Heian Sandan do you really use when you fight? When was the last time you went into a low drop stance when sparring?

15. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Good point, and a bold one to make. I regard XMA as pretty difficult to perform, just as I regard rythmic sports-gymnastics to be pretty difficult (like the dancers with this rod with some silk-textile attached to it, etc.)-and I admire the skill it takes to perform it. But I don't think it have anything to do with martial arts.

The traditional forms might not be very useful on the street, but they do have something to do with martial arts; they are -and correct me if I'm wrong; pedagogical techniques derived from people fighting, regarded by those people to be an efficiant technique to teach people how to fight.

Us doing WMA have only paper to work from, and this gives us a lot of freedom to stress-test, and to not be judged by the "traditionalists", but on the other hand, we might miss the very same "traditionalists" when we want correction and evaluation of our interpretations.

16. Fish Of Doom

sorry, but i find low stances quite useful, being five feet tall and all... if i didn't use them, i would have a fair few brain problems by now, what with all the headshots i've evaded by lowering my body, and i wouldn't be able to get past anyone's guard if i couldn't slide under them in a low stance into striking range and back again. also, you generalise. not all styles use "low drop stances"(which isn't even a real term, as far as i know) on the heians, or even at all. in fact some styles don't even HAVE the heians.

17. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

The "drop stance" (pu bu) is a piece of footwork used in Chinese martial arts, particularly long fist systems. It involves stretching out your lead leg completely, and putting your buttocks on or close to your rear heel.
    It looks kind of like this:
    [​IMG]

I did a lot of them in my various CMA trainings. It's very pretty looking, but I have yet to find a "combat" purpose for it besides inviting someone to stop on the side of your extended knee.

18. Fish Of Doom

ah, got it; my apologies. well, without knowing the forms themselves i admit i haven't a clue what they might be used for, but one possible use is aggressive advance to occupy the opponent's guard, then drop stance forward and grab the lead leg, which can lead(no pun intended) to a lock, takedown or leg strike. i reiterate that i don't know any cma forms though so i don't really know, but i CAN say that at least in karate they're not used, and AFAIK they're not used in jujutsu, judo, aikido, japanese kobudo or okinawan kobudo either, and bojutsu, meaning the use of a japanese bo(meaning staff, making bo staff a redundant term), is what is being discussed here, making the mention of drop stances more or less irrelevant.

on another note though, if you're using a six foot long staff, a drop stance does make for a couple nasty knee or ankle shots through circular staff sweeps(baseball swing analogues), or an upwards thrust to the throat or jaw, passing under the guard. the key for all these hypothetical moves i'm describing for a drop stance is being able to move in and out of it relatively quickly, though. no stance is useful if you make it completely fixed, but chain them together into fluid movement, and know when to use them, and they become effective.

19. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

ever thought it might just be a training tool for body conditioning and balance, and have absolutly no combat applications whatsoever?
    thats certanly how forms and formal stances are used in my style.

20. koyo

Conditioning, balance and flexibility relate directly to effectiveness in combat.....twirling a stick and posing does not.

regards koyo