New barbell Invention

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I saw this article in an alumni magazine of the university my mother teaches at. Thought I would share.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Students invention may carry some weight

It's a device that could make one StFX student a lot of money. With a patent pending, Human Nutrition student Scott Logue is gearing up to design a prototype and hit the streets with his new invention. The Ottawa
    native's invention is designed to ease stress on the back and wrists when using easy curl bars at gyms.

The invention, called InerfleX, will consist of two prototypes. The InerfleX bar will be similar to the easy curl bar seen at gyms. But instead of the weights on the bar, the device will consist of a bar with weights hanging below, thus allowing the weights to come closer to the body, relieving stress on the back and wrists. The other prototype will be an attachment to a bar. People with home gyms will be able to easily attach the device to hang weights off their bars.

Not only is this invention impressive, but the spin-off in research and student participation is also noteworthy. "I'm really thankful to StFX and especially to Dr. Edwin DeMont for helping out so much. If it wasn't for StFX and Dr. DeMont, it wouldn't have gotten off the ground," says Logue.

Logue approached biology professor Dr. DeMont last fall. The pair have been working together ever since.

Dr. DeMont has also incorporated the invention into his classroom teachings. Students are using the exercise device as a research project, studying the effects it has on the body.

Logue has also taken on a business partner, fourth-year business student Chris Reid from Birtle, Manitoba. His short-term goal is to find a manufacturer to make a high-quality prototype.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Ottawa native's invention is designed to ease stress on the back and wrists when using easy curl bars at gyms.

[​IMG]

l-r: Biology 401 students CASEY SMITH and MARK MACKENZIE helped with research. MORGAN SMITH volunteered to use the invention, while inventor SCOTT LOGUE, DR. EDWIN DEMONT and researcherAMY O'FARRELL also participate in the experiment.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmn, weights hanging below the bar? Same as backpacks with rocks in them? Who really had this idea 1st :woo:

2. inteq9

inteq9 165lb of TROUBLE!

Yeah but his idea cost more so its probably better... ;)

Since when does it hurt your back to do curls??? If you curl that much weight why wouldn't you just use a preacher bench????

Oh well.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's a fricking curl bar :woo:

Wow, funny how the bicep curl boys all appear to have internally rotated shoulders! Could it be they bench press too? lmao.

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

That is funny. But, you know you've spent too much time dealing with textbooks when you see a photograph and instinctively start analyzing for posture-related problems. Bro, I thought school was done. ;)

5. Ad McG

I have to find some way to mock the guy who invented another curl bar! :D

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Honestly What's the problem?

Curls are one of the core exercises in the training routine of a martial artist

IMO deadlift, squats etc are overrated, they may help in some muscle and strength development but in no way do they provide as much as curls. Exercises like the curl and the triceps kickback provide excellent strength compared to inferior lifts like the bech press or the pull ups. Not to mention doing squats greatly increases the chances of an injury to your lower back.

Curls also give excellent power to your punches which is the reason why many boxers use it

Bodybuilders, martial artists and powerlifters all have some form of curling movement in their routine, compound lifts are waaaaaaaaaay too overrated IMO

I see the curls occassionally bashed around on this forum by ingnorant people who never tried incorporating it into their routing and instead relying on hearsay and wasting their time on compund lifts....

BTW me just kidding, have a nice day.

|Cain|

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Cain, that was about as funny as barbed wire toilet paper. :rolleyes:

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

If you're a masochist, than that's probably fun though. :eek: :D

So yeah, ummmm... this invention you speak of. Isn't it just a way for those lazy asses to curl heavier weights without their poor back being stressed? :D

And to steal the thread for a moment...deadlifts are the 1337 fo' shizzle! (3x8 deadlift day was yesterday...weeeeeeeeeeeeee! hehehe:D)

9. RRForeverZ

RRForeverZ Valued Member

why god?.....why?
    :(

10. Ad McG

Cain - For a second I actually thought you were serious... I have had a few pints though :D

11. Cain

Cain New Member

:Angel:

My 300 seconds of thinking like a troll paid off :D

I just wish someone would quote a lengthy reply to my post until he/she finally manages to read the last line :D

|Cain|

12. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Believe me I nearly did! lol

13. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Why is it that most people want to take the "hard" out of fitness when this is what actually gives the most worthwhile of results?

14. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Because most people are lazy.

My mother wanted me to make a routine for her, but then she saw how intense I get when I do a 20 rep squat, and now I cant convince her :eek:

15. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

And that is why the scam artists, and has been actors in those infomercials still have a job.

16. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

You mean Chuck Norris lied to me? :cry: :cry: :cry:

17. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Hmmm....probably not.

There are things you can do on the total gym that will tax you. Although I have some doubts on the product's durability.

18. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

You can tell from the photo?

19. Ad McG

Reasonably well, yeah. You can see the chest is slightly caved (not on all of them, and it's not too significant with any of them), the shoulders are brought inwards and the hands tend to point backwards more than normal. Things like that. It's easier to tell stuff like this when you have various different shots, you can do a full body comp assessment with about 3 or 4 pictures.