New Articles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Cooler, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I must say that i got a little sneak preview of these, and they are great. A must read by all members.

3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Melanie,

I really enjoyed your articles.
    Nicely written.

Ladyhawk

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

morning with jimmy bore

ok

5. morphus

morphus Doobrey

morning with jimmy bore

Having read the article mentioned above i found your comments most interesting. The comments you made were quite typical of practitioners from other martial arts, not that you were damning at all, you showed respect(for that i am grateful). But as i read on, i felt you didn't quite understand some of the movements and concepts, i have found this to be true of people(other martial artists) who have had lessons from myself - i instruct CKD; they more or less have to unlearn what they've been taught though the concepts may have a similar roots. To perform CKD they have to change much, this takes time and effort. After one lesson many give up taking the attitude 'its inferior to what they already know!' I believe it takes quite a few lessons in CKD to fully recognise the underlying truth and to see the beauty of its graceful flowing movements. Though you didn't trash CKD i urge you to (when you have the time) to have another DEEP look at Choi Kwang Do, you 'll find a new way of looking at martial arts and perhaps at life itself.
    PIL SUNG!:D

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I wouldn't call Choi graceful exactly, certainly when you're starting its just plain ugly. Works though.

7. morphus

morphus Doobrey

ugly? hmmm......

Ok, i concede, When beggining it may look a tad ugly but it is affective from the outset (more or less). But seeing Grandmaster Choi perform is seeing poetry itself, there are however many sides to this art - its affectiveness and its beauty(performed in the correct way), the fact that it works for everybody, keeping healthy and so on and so on and on, the benefits are of plenty.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Morphus,

I would respectfully suggest that most of us have the same feelings when someone from a different art takes a look at ours.

Just as I can't analyse your system at a glance, nor can you do the same for mine.

The nice thing about this forum, is that people have been willing to say " I'll show you mine if you show me yours" It takes an act of bravery to go to another style and be open minded, just as it does for a style to welcome an outsider.

The purpose of these visits, having been visited myself, is so that we can all learn from each other. If we could show all the important aspects of our arts in a couple of hours, then they wouldn't have a lot going for them long term, now would they?

It's a fantastic honour to have someone from another system write an article about your style.

This forum has been a unique experience for me in open discussion of the arts, and my door is always open to anyone. I'd like to be able to walk through yours as well.

Don't show me how your art is better though! Show me how it is different!

Regards

Andy

Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  9. morphus

morphus Doobrey

respect

Hey everyone,
    My last comments were not meant to cause any offence(please forgive if they did). Mr murray made very good points about my view; firstly this forum is fantastic.
    I also concider myself to extremly open minded; i really do appretiate people taking the time to visit other classes(i do the same every opportunity i get) and indeed an honour to have articles written about CKD, what i was actually doing was trying to get people to see how much more our art has to offer, other than that seen on a first lesson, as you rightly pointed out, one lesson isn't enough to cover everything, many appilogies for any confusion(or offence) caused. Anyone wishing to make a trip to our class will be most welcome, anytime.

morphus

10. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hiya Morphus,

Thanks for the remarks. I did enjoy my class with Jimmy - so much so that if the opportunity arises again and he makes it down this way again, I will definately take part in another session with him.

I hope to take part in at least one class of as many arts as possible over the comings years (I'm not in any particular rush) and be able to take away at least one technique from it with better understanding.