New 2nd Dan

Discussion in 'Karate' started by marmaduke, Nov 25, 2010.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

I do understand the whole "mature" agrument to a degree, but at 19 you could have been fighting in the Army for nearly 3 years. On the other hand, you could get a 50 year old dude who sits behind a computer all day and goes training twice a week who will be eligable to grade when he has done his time. But everyone may "think" he is experienced because of his age. A 19 year old could have trained for years under the best instruction possible. In my opinion, experience and age are not always connected.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Tatsuo Suzuki of Wado started at about 14, and was a 3rd dan by 19.

2. puma

puma Valued Member

What is Kwan Mu Kan if you don't mind me asking?

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Marmaduke,

CONGRATS to your son.

Re the other issue - I am a 5th dan and pride myself on being the happiest, silliest, jokiest person in the dojo - including when I am training with kids. If you are not having fun when you train you are missing the point. Oh and the more serious the technique the more you need to smile - If you are practising a potentially lethal technique and are taking it WAY seriously - then you probably shouldn't be training !!!

Of course you also need to be serious and respectful and loads of other stuff too - but nothing should stop training being fun!!!

And rank is whatever the sensei wants it to be - if a club gives 1st dan to 5 year olds then that's fine by me - if a club gives 1st dan to adults after three days of full time beasting that's up to them... To each their own :)

4. Kazuya_Mishima

Kazuya_Mishima Valued Member

I actually agree with Mawashi.

5. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

So you agree with judging on age rather than merit?

Why so?

6. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

Marmaduke, congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment. It's good to see another Kwanmukan person on here, I got my black belt from Shihan Hickey. Can I look forward to seeing your son at the next tourney I can attend? :D

As for the other argument
    I don't think you are in much of a spot to argue who is qualified to be a Nidan

P.S.
    I'm nidan in 2 styles and I'm 18. I got my nidan in Karate at 16.

7. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

you could get me talking all night on the subject, but I have finals to study for, bad Puma!

It's a style of karate that was founded by George E. Anderson in the late 60's or 70's

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

note the age

note the number of stripes in the belt

someone just failed

9. Kazuya_Mishima

Note you don't know me or my maturity. Also note i've been in martial arts since 7. Note that we already have enough mcdojos.

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

hey, relax, its just a disagreement about age and ranks. It even drove poor little mawashi away.

Cheer up, here have a pussycat.

[​IMG]

:)

11. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Maybe you didnt actualy read mawashi's point of view correctly, He thinks 19 is to young for 2nd, let alone the 3rd you display at 16! He would probably ask you when your next grading is? :)

Personaly i dont have an opinion other than to say congratulations to the OP's Son, and to you for your achievements.

If an organisation puts forth a curriculum with no age requirements, and the curriculum requirements are met, then congratulations to any and all that meet them.
    :cool:

12. Kazuya_Mishima

Taekwondo and Karate are very different arts. Let's not forget. The hwarang were 15 year old warriors. Karate, their has been no such thing. If you can't grasp the concept or respect the art, then get out.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Seriously you're a 3rd dan at 16?!?
    Where do you train man? What did you do to get that 3rd dan?

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

So what if there were hwarang aged 15 in the past, with no analogue in karate? It's not about what people did aeons ago. If you're good enough you get the belt.

Thanks for the kitten Blade, can I keep him? XD

15. Fish Of Doom

how old is taekwondo, and how does it differ from, say, shotokan?

16. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Now that is an interesting question ;)

17. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

One's TOTALLY AWESOME!

Don't make me fly over there, man!

18. Fish Of Doom

your flight lacks kime

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Totally awesome TKD lets you fly nearly anywhere, we use our legs as rotor blades :D

Mitch

20. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Sadly though it shreds your balls :) :) :) :) :) :) :)