New 2nd Dan

Discussion in 'Karate' started by marmaduke, Nov 25, 2010.

1. marmaduke

marmaduke Valued Member

:happy:Hi all. Haven't been here for a while. My son just past his 2nd Dan testing last night. Kwan Mu Kan/Kajukenbo Karate. And he's only 19.

:happy::happy::happy:

2. mawashi

mawashi Valued Member

my compliments, but I still think that 19 is too soon

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I passed my 2nd Dan in Kukkiwon Taekwondo at 19. I started training when I was four. Maybe we shouldn't judge peoples' experience or skills solely on their age, eh? :)

4. liero

liero Valued Member

congrtats!

There are some very talented 19 year olds out there!

Do you have a video of the grading marmaduke?

5. mawashi

mawashi Valued Member

no matter how young you were when you started.
    A second dan is too important to give it to a boy, sorry
    because dan is not about talent, skill and experience only, it's much more about maturity

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

19 is an adult. How about treating him as an adult and not patronizing him.

While I cannot speak to his specific abilities, there is nothing about being 19 at 2nd degree black belt that is uncommon, improper, or unreasonable.

congrats!

7. liero

liero Valued Member

I agree I got my 2nd dan at 21...there is really nothing too different between mine and his son in terms of age.

3 years of life is nothing!

I meerly wish to see the grading material to compare it too my own and some recently added dan grading material (stuartA) and see how things compared...

8. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Well done to him! If he can do what he needs to do to be a second dan, he's a second dan, no matter what anyone says.

9. mawashi

mawashi Valued Member

so why not 10 th dan ?

please, let be serious ...and above all a little humility

10. Moosey

If he meets the criteria for a 10th dan, why not?

It's not a religious position, it's based on his ability at karate and presumably, if you're talking about 10th dan, his contribution to the discipline of karate as a whole. If, theoretically, he was the finest karate pracitioner in the world and had developed karate in a beneficial way, why not 10th dan?

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

So you're being cocky and telling everyone else to be humble? :rolleyes:

Well done to OP's son:cool:

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This post makes you sound like a complete tool. A black belt is exactly what you said it isn't - an indication of one's talent, skill and experience. It doesn't matter if you're as mature as six-year old cheese, if you don't have the skill or knowledge required, you shouldn't have the grade.

Unless you are one of "those" types who come up with BS philosophical excuses as substitutes for tangible ability? Whose anger is directed at younger, more talented practitioners. Obviously.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

yeah right, mawashi, because you're the judge about what dan ranks mean, and because all schools have exactly equal ranking

14. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

What a pile of puke.

It's a sport. It's about ability not age. If you can do the required techniques, you get the grade. Translate that to any other sport and you'll see how silly it is. How would it be if you were doing gymnastics and you weren't allowed to learn level 10 moves, say, because of age? How would it be if you were told 'it's not just about whirling through the air 10 feet up, it's about maturity'? That's right - you'd think that was a pile of crap. And it's the same pile of crap when it happens in the martial arts.

Even if you were to have requirements about maturity, age wouldn't necessarily come into that. Age is, sadly, largely a number.

15. mawashi

mawashi Valued Member

how fine to have everybody against me , but I am sorry karate is not a sport.
    anyway, I am surprised of you being such " ranking freaks "

bad for you

16. Moosey

I don't think anyone's being a "ranking freak", I think it's more that people are seeing rank as being what it is - a measure of knowledge and ability. If you have the knowledge and ability, why not have the rank accordingly?

As an aside, I'm guessing from your avatar that you're JKA? The JKA give second dan to under 21s, so why is it a problem for you if it's not for them?

17. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Thank you! If anything he is being a ranking freak - he is trying to turn the ranks into something uniquely special that they are not.

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

When you act like a douche, people treat you like one.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

ranking freak?

i could have taken my around a year and a half ago, but since it's useless to me, i didn't.

20. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

A Dan grade is a reflection of your ability in that martial art, not a grading of your life experience or attitude. I don't know about you but my grading didn't include my examiners following me around for a week with a piece of paper and marking me on how I lived my life outside the Dojang!

I got my 2nd Dan in TKD at 22 after 9 years of training, took about 4-5 to get 1st Dan then the same again to get my 2nd...I don't think that I was too much of a "boy" and not "man" enough. Hell I was studying full time at university and had 2 part time jobs at the time.

I am kind of against children Black Belts though, I will give you that. IMO as long as you are fully grown (17-18ish) and you can perform techniques with the strength of an adult, you can grade as an adult.

Oh and congrats to your son, hope he keeps training and learning.