Never thought I'd see the day where Eddie Bravo called TKD kicks 'the future'

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by aaron_mag, May 14, 2015.

1. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Right around 1:10. Weird to hear him say that.

That being said we all remember when Machida's style 'was the future' and then he lost a few. The hype train takes off fast and derails fast.

Just thought it was really funny to hear someone like Bravo say that. On a side note while he is a polarizing figure the guy has always been pretty good in interviews.

Sorry I haven't been around much. So swamped!!!

EDIT: https://youtu.be/MiLck5307MI

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Got a link? :)

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You can find youtube vids of Rogan and Eddie Bravo saying kungfu is dead.

I always tend to quote that during TUF3 finale, there was one fighter who was a TKD blackbelt and was generally not very good.

JoRo would be quite derisive of it, despite being a TKD BB himself. Now theres vids of him promoting it (teaching GSP the spin kick). Due to the recent boom in some high profile fighters. Pettis being one example.

Waiting for the 1inch punch ground and pound to come in..

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Once you have a solid base in timing and distance, there isn't much that wouldn't be effective if you were smart enough.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

TKD is the past, present and future.

TKD is love.

TKD is life.

6. aaron_mag

7. aaron_mag

That is pretty much Bravo's argument. Of course easier said than done... ;)

But for old people like me is is surreal to see Eddie Bravo say something like that. I actually have his book and some of his videos and he is a pretty intelligent guy. But back in those books he'd poke fun of TMAs and their practitioners.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's easier said than done, but it's gettin easier as more people do it and lower the risk factor.

ITF is like 60 years old? How is it a TMA?

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tradition has to start somewhere :p

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

[​IMG]

11. aaron_mag

Ha ha...yeah, Bravo even had smoking on his instructional DVDs.

12. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

He mocks the non-sparring form-heavy MAs he used to do. I don't think he'd put either flavour of TKD in the same category, even if their competition rules are a bit bizarre.

13. aaron_mag

Maybe...but even in the video link I posted he brings up Karate and Taekwon-do and says, "We thought it was all a joke back in the day..." So he is clearly reversing his opinion a bit.

It isn't all that important anyway. Even in the video he calls himself an 'armchair MMAist'. But it was something I thought people would find interesting...

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I really don't trust Eddie Bravo talking about striking, i don't know why, but like, him saying Conor is legit for beating Siver, is kind of like saying beating Shannon Briggs would make you the number 1 contender for Klitschko.

15. aaron_mag

But you've got go with Chael Sonnen agreeing with him. World class striker right there. ;)

I think even Bravo would agree with your criticism. He even says in the video he is giving an 'arm chair opinion'. It just took me by surprise when he said it.

16. Mitch

Testify brother, testify! :D

Mitch

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, it is something of a surprise, granted, i think Chael just lives to troll, the mean streets of West Linn,OR require people to build defenses against the harsh reality of life, and Mr. Sonnen's cocoon was hand crafted in dead pan sarcasm.

18. aaron_mag

19. Mitch

Nice bit of Cap at the end there too I guess?