Never knew there was so much missing in boxing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, May 23, 2019.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I saw this video and had to share it here. It is impressive how much bobbing and weaving can keep you from getting hit. I never realized it was such and important skill.

Saw this on another site that was discussing the gap. That time between where the other guy throws a punch and his recovery. He throws a punch and is spent and has to recover and that, recovery time, is when you hit him.

I had a xingyiquan shifu who yelled at us one day while training a stationary piquan (palm strike). We were all exhaling with the strike. He told us to stop tying our breathing to striking because if you can only hit, with power, on the exhale that means you have to inhale before you strike again. So in his mind once you exhale, that was when he was going to hit you, "the gap".

What do you think about this?

Also some great clips in the video of some great fighters

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    David Harrison and Grond like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

For me boxing is very much underrated.

I feel many claim to have boxing in their syllabus, whereas they only really have punching.

When you understand the mechanics it's a fantastic art.

When you start to include your defence in your attack the difference is subtle, but massive at the same time.

Morik, Grond, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Simon

As for the breathing I do teach to exhale on the strike, but that is because if you get hit will a belly full of air you get winded.

I do get my lot not to take a muscular breath, as that will leave you tired quickly.

With boxing if you aren't there, you can't get hit.

As I said attack in defence and defence in attack.

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  4. Xue Sheng

I agree, but I think my xingyi shifu's point was be able to hit, with power, no matter if you are on an inhale, or an exhale. And that is not what we were doing at the time

Interestingly, my view of xingyiquan philosophy on attack and defense is; attack is attack and attack is defense :)

5. Simon

I"ll try and post a video teaser explaining.

When you train defense and attack together you train twice as effective.

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  6. Xue Sheng

That is what Xingyiquan is, when you attack, you are attacking, but when you are defending you are attacking. But I would like to see the video teaser too, I think boxing is awesome.

Grond likes this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm a bit confused about your title? Do you boxing is missing elements?

I agree though, boxing is essential if you want to be able to fight in any striking capacity. It's a sport in which the mind boggles. I can't and never will understand how guys can go 12 rounds and still hit as hard in the last round as they did in the first.

And yeah, exhaling on the hit is incredibly important. Once it's muscle memory it helps with your cardio because it's so easy to hold your breathe whilst you're striking.

Grond likes this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Watch the video, the way these guy can bob and weave, there are a lot of missed punches. I use to watch boxing a lot, from Ali all the way to Tyson, and I never noticed all the missed punches due to that skill that many boxers have at bobbing and weaving.

Not meant to say boxing was missing anything, it was a comment on how many times these guys in the clip missed due to the impressive bobbing and weaving skills of the other guy. Also note the times the guy throws a punch, missed, and before he has time to bring his hand back and throw another, he gets hit and or knocked down. Taking advantage of the gap, if you will, that too I find impressive

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  9. Simon

Hopefully this video goes some way to explaining attack built into defence and vice versa.

Happy to shoot further videos if needed.

axelb, Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I exhale with every strike, but it's a twitch of the diaphragm, not a complete emptying of the lungs. Can do maybe six before needing to inhale (not that that's sustainable over time, but the point being, it's just a partial exhale with a strike).

axelb likes this.
  11. Xue Sheng

Now I get what you re talking about, thank you.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Excuse to post one of my absolute favourite videos:

ned, axelb, Grond and 3 others like this.
  13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

exhaling on a strike is really important because you get tired faster if you don't exhale hard enough, and regularly. Not only does exhaling right keep your lower body tight, it makes sure you are also taking time to suck in oxygen like clockwork. Holding your breath is natural in a tense situation like boxing. So it makes sense to time your breathing with your striking combos.

If you want to drill some boxing combos, it goes like: 1, breathe out, breathe in, 1-2, breathe out, breath in, 1-2-3, breathe out, in, and on and on. That "breathe out, breathe in" may seem pretty simple but that's the sweetness of the science of boxing :) Oxygen, with a kind of regular rhythm.

As far as missing, yep I love not being hit. Boxing means getting hit a lot, but staying on your feet. You might hit something, you might not at any given moment. But training to not get hit, or get hit and keep going...that's the best martial art there is, I think.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Great to see original content on the forum again :)

Great video, nice way to highlight the importance of boxing defence. Funny how many people were unsure what they were getting into.

15. ned

ned Valued Member

As Ali said, "the art of not getting hit".

Grond likes this.
  16. Simon

Videos, post your videos.

I can't understand any of your breathing techniques, so you need a video to explain.

Grond likes this.
  17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Boxing is very much a product of its rules set.
    Limiting you to just hitting with the hands makes you get very good at well hitting and avoiding getting hit with the hands.

Hitting without being hit is a hard thing to master, as is staying in the pocket avoiding damage and being able to inflict it.

At the risk of sounding like Matt Thornton professional boxers have great athletic abilities which they have polished over years and years so sometimes watching them can be slightly miss leading and even them relying on those attributes can get you hurt on occasion prince nassem for example.

You see much less bobbing and weaving in Thai, or MMA because more weapons are involved so a) they have less time to hone their athletic abilities around avoiding one skill set and b) they have to think about other weapons bobbing and weaving into knees can hurt, leaning back can get your legs kicks slipping to the outside of a punch can lead to a head kick and so on.

Not saying it's not a great think to do, just that it takes years to master, requires good athletic attributes to make work and works best in a specific environment. Of course if you can make your opponent fight your fight they are still going down lol

Simon and Grond like this.
  18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I am a big fan of JV's channel. This guy is my go to whenever I want to refresh basics or regain some perspective on things. Could be anything from techniques to sparring to conditioning to wrapping. He's got a lot of great videos on the breathing cadence for boxing. Don't know the first thing about JKD but I assume it's similar?

Here's a good one. He's got others but the basic idea is the same 3 reasons: hitting harder, keeping the abs hard, and remembering to breathe in too. From my own experiences it's when you start to gas out that you're in the worst risk of getting hammered. Slow, tired from holding your breath in ultimately ends with opponent realizing it and then it's goodnight Gracie.

David Harrison and axelb like this.
  19. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Sorry here's his full channel. It's a gold mine: Precision Striking

Some choice selections

Slip line (fun)

Peekaboo slips:

20. Grond

Grond Valued Member

In the head at least. Icefield is spot on, too. I never really worry about getting hit in my legs or below the belt. I mean it happens but rare and no point in practicing. Back in karate point sparring it was a different matter because those below the belt kicks were most of what connected and fists were more of a sideshow, so evading kicks was critical. In boxing it's really all about the head. I've only seen 1 guy go down from a body shot (and notably he was gassing out at the time from breathing wrong).

ned likes this.