NEO-Bartitsu

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Corrmaz, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Japanese Kanji frequently have the same pronunciation, but mean different things, there are a massive variety of meanings, so you would be incorrect to take just one and attempt to apply it to every Japanese word you see - it is the Kanji itself that you should be attempting that correlation with, not its pronunciation if you are seeking to explore etymology.

Ryu-Ha refers to a school or lineage of school.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Ryu = school/ system. Ha = origin (from)

Ryu Ha = the school of origin

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Why? Did you forget that you held a BJJ Blackbelt and wanted to put it to good use?

4. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

no i have not trained in any of the arts however I do plan on researching Bartitsu techniques. I do plan on training in
    Muay Thai
    Boxing
    Escrima
    BJJ

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

My advice to you would be to train in any of those arts individually, or in combination to the point of excellence. And then decide to create your art should you still find the need to do so.

6. Devon

Devon Valued Member

That's cool, but I think you'll save some time if you can find a Dog Brothers training group nearby. It sounds like what you are most interested in is a kind of "MMA with stickfighting", and that's pretty much what the DBs do.

It's also pretty much what Bartitsu was over a hundred years ago, but as I suggested before, even neo-Bartitsu is still an attempt to revive Barton-Wright's original system, so combining Muay Thai, escrima, BJJ etc. and calling it neo-Bartitsu wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Techniques do not a system make. A system is a synthesis of movement. It is a philosophy in action.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Any one of these arts would take anywhere from years to a lifetime to get really good at. You're planning--now--to begin studying all of them AND synthesizing them into a useful blend that (presumably) does something different than any of them individually do.

This plan doesn't make a lot of sense, I'm afraid. It sounds like it's more based on a marketing strategy than a technical need.

9. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Indeed, if you join a good MMA gym you will get training in BJJ, Muay thai and boxing. And the best bits as well. Just do some eskrima with that. I (personally) would have more respect if a guy told me " hey I do MMA and eskrima" than if a guy told me " I have created my own style". That kinda seems like ENTER THE DOJO territory.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Similarly, I think there's a world of difference between "doing some eskrima" and knowing eskrima well enough to incorporate it usefully with other styles. There's always the option, as someone said, of studying something that already combines those elements. In which case, you're doing whatever THAT style is. Not "neo-Bartitsu."

11. Devon

Devon Valued Member

It may be worth pointing out that the Bartitsu Society designates all modern "Bartitsu revival" efforts as "neo-Bartitsu", in recognition of the fact that the original system, which was basically a form of cross-training between several historically and culturally specific styles, was abandoned as a work in progress circa 1902. That said, I don't see the point in describing a combination of Muay Thai, BJJ and escrima as any form of Bartitsu, because those styles were never part of the original mix.

Again, if the OP basically just wants to practice kickboxing/grappling/stickfighting without worrying about whether those styles were practiced at Barton-Wright's club in London, the Dog Brothers have been doing that for years and with considerable success.