NEO-Bartitsu

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Corrmaz, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

I was thinking of coming up with my own style of neo-bartitsu.

BARTITSU - MODERN

Savate - Kickboxing
    Jujitsu - Jujitsu
    English Boxing -Boxing
    Cane Fighting -Escrima

How would this work out. Should I use different styles.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think these things should just evolve, so if you are asking if the styles will blend, then you're not ready to move on.

I teach my own system, which is a blend the styles/systems I've studied and been exposed to over the years.

It sort of just happened and evolved when other classes shut down and I took over the reigns.

I don't think you can just wake up one day and decide to invent an art.

4. Devon

Devon Valued Member

There's nothing wrong with that combination (though boxing is pretty much subsumed within kickboxing) but I don't see the point in referring to the result as neo-Bartitsu (?)

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Sherlock Holmes fan?

6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Apart from the Escrima for the cane techniques rather than a French influence that is Bartitsu.

See nothing new here. What experience do you have to attempt this?

Why not find a Bartitsu revival group, theres a few in existance if you have an interest?

Cheers

Dan93

7. Devon

Devon Valued Member

I meant that a combination of modern kickboxing, jujitsu and escrima would only tangentially resemble what Barton-Wright was doing circa 1900. The Bartitsu Society, which coined the term "neo-Bartitsu", always stresses that the point of neo-Bartitsu is to get as close as reasonably practical to the original system, which was comprised of old-school "scientific" boxing, a specific blend of Japanese ryu-ha, basic savate and the Vigny method of stick fighting. The further away from that combination you get, the less sense it makes to refer to what you're doing as "Bartitsu".

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Boxing + kickboxing (panuntukan) + dirty judo (dumog) = most FMA systems.

Study FMA.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Really? what would be the reason too?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  10. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

What's that supposed to mean Fusen

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What are your qualifications in those arts? Surely that has a lot to do with how well you'd be able to synthesize them. Regardless of what you ultimately call this new art.

12. shootodog

Dude, you know what, do whatever you want.

Bartitsu was able to synthesize these arts because there was some connection between them like savate and la canne; boxing and wrestling; and judo and, uh well, judo. (Also there is a link between boxing and savate; and judo and wrestling).

FMA has synthesized the aspects of weapons and empty hands over generations and made it workable through centuries of tribal fighting. Centuries of fighting colonizers. Centuries of using it for community and self-defense.

Do it man!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  13. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

well im going to do it but what are the differences between kickboxing and muay thai and jiu jitsu and BJJ

14. shootodog

Lots. Lots of differences.

By you asking this, I take it that you have no experience training, fighting, and teaching kickboxing, muay, jujutsu and BJJ.

Then I suggest that before you try to synthesize any of theses, I suggest you DO IT first. Learn them. Fight with them. Teach them.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It seems to me, that when someone wants to create a new Art it is not that the old art doesn't offer the things they list, it is that they aren't any good at the old art - there are some exceptions to this, but they are for other reasons and created by people that have a very solid level of experience.

OP - what is your level of experience/seniority/achievements in:

Savate - Kickboxing
    Jujitsu - Jujitsu
    English Boxing -Boxing
    Cane Fighting -Escrima

16. shootodog

And on that note:

OP have you ever trained in bartitsu? Under who? For how long?

17. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

I decided to change the arts

Bartitsu. Modern

Savate. Muay Thai
    English Boxing. Boxing
    Cane Fighting. Escrima
    Juijitsu. BJJ

18. shootodog

Would you care answer the questions?

19. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I started training Bartitsu with a group in NYC that seek to explore the art as it demonstrated by Barton Wright Jigaro Kano and the Vigny method of fighting. These men were masters of Ju Jutsu etc....
    They did not arbitrarily decide to mix and match things that they had no experience with.
    I started doing a Neo-Bartitsu class to try to start a group in my area to train with and bring in the Bartitsu Society Reps to teach seminars. If you want to do it, that is my advice to you.
    You can not start something with no experience and without paying your dues.

20. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

This was mentioned earlier, I know its not exactly on topic but what is "Japanese ryu-ha"
    I was under the impression that "Ha" meant "wave" as in "Hadouken" , would be wave motion fist.