need to learn basics of safely controling minor kiddos

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by matveimediaarts, Sep 7, 2019.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

In this new job I have I will be assisting in k-6 classrooms as an aide in special needs classes. Some of these kids are quite severely autistic and difficult to physically control. They also sometimes self-harm, harm others, attempt to damage property, etc. The few control techniques I've learned over the years are designed for adults and I've only practiced with adults. So, I turn to y'all for advice. Thanks in advance.

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

See if there are any specialized courses in your area your job can send you for. While there is advice people here could give you, liability is unpleasant and people are very litigious these days. Cover your backside and don't do what people on an internet forum tell you to do. Get some training which will hold up in court and which has preferably been approved by your employer. You want to shift as much responsibility upward as possible because if something goes wrong they're going to shift as much blame as they can downward.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

There should be an approved CR courses for you to do, kids are very different to adults, both physically and legally.

David Harrison likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Why isn't that training provided by your employer?

Thomas and aaradia like this.