Need some rules

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Nettey04, May 2, 2006.

1. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

In my TKD class we are now adding BJJ. We use the IKF MT rules for stand up and need some rules for ground fighting. I would like to know what rules some of you guys/gals use in your class and what rules you would add or take away. Thank you for any and all help.

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

My grappling class allows all chokes including gi chokes, leg locks are allowed but not heel hooks since it's easy to cause a fairly major injury with them, wrist locks are fair game, but not finger locks, again because of likely injury, and no "chicken wing" locks, again due to safety reasons (they suck anyway). We also ban all the usual crap like eye-gouging, hair pulling, licking your finger and putting it in their ear, farting in your opponents face etc
    If your instructor is "adding BJJ" to your curriculum then he/she should be fairly well versed in what to allow. If they're looking for a good place to start, check the ADCC grappling championship rules

3. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

My Instructor is 7th degree BB in TKD. He learned BJJ with from one of the Gracie's while they would teach Chuck Norris. When he left Chuck's system to start his own school he added this to his class. He does this not to get belt rankings, but to give student an understanding of how to fight on the ground. My instructor has me work with his other BBs to learn. Now the reason I would like some gorund rule is that he is teaching me so that I can start my own school in the future and I would like stand up and ground fighting rules. As for now we play it by ear. I am currently a green belt and for my next test I would like to do MMA style sparring and if I get a set of good and safe rules my Instructor may allow it for lower ranking test as well as BB.

4. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

so how qualified is your instrtuctor?
    chuck trains w/ carlos machado.

5. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

Well he has trained with Chuck Norris, Mike Dillard, Jhoon Rhee, and Scott Conan Mincy. So as far as TKD @ 1 time he was the best in the state and surronding areas. In his 30+ years of teaching he has only 30 BB (he does not give belts away).I do not question his striking ability or his ground. All I want is some general rules for grappling so we can mix it up. I do not think they trained like this befor I brought him out of retirement. My whole life I wanted to be able to train people in the MA he is letting me help design a new system of training for this I am greatful. As far as who Chuck trains/trained with I bet almost everyone could name a someone.

6. Topher

Topher allo!

Why not just use BJJ rules? :p

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah.... but how qualified is he? saying he trained with someone doesn't give any real indication. what belt did he get in BJJ?

8. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Er...is this a joke? He learnt BJJ from one of the Gracies and he doesn't know how to roll/spar?
    He obviously didn't learn very much.

9. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

What? Who didn't train how? You aren't making a whole lot of sense here.

He's letting you design a new system of training? What by introducing ground fighting? What an unusual and innovative concept

Faster Than You meant Chuck Norris trains BJJ UNDER Carlos Machado. Hardly "naming a someone"

Maybe you should. What experience does he have and what belt did "one of the Gracies" give him?

10. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

He did not get a belt in BBJ. As I said befor he is a 7th degree BB in TKD. When he was with Chuck Norris he was tought basic technique I belive it was Rickson or Royce dont quote me on that next time I see him I will ask witch one it was.

Garibaldi, as far as are trainig goes we do satnd up and ground seperate. What I am trying to do is get some rule to combine them both. And as far as a new system goes a lot of people my use standup and ground what I mean by new system is new to us not the world maybe next time I will be more clear in my post. I feel I do not have to/or need to question my Instructor as I speak to people like Mike Dillard (Chuck's personal friend) and some of the other Insrtuctors around Oklahoma, so not everyone would be lying (at least I hope not). And as far as jokes go I think it is a joke that I ask for help with rules and out for all the responses I get Server and Homer J are the only ones that helped. Thank you 2 very much for your time.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  11. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Sorry if you think we're being unhelpful but you did say you were introducing BJJ into your training and I wondered how you couldn't possibly know what rules this followed! Especially if your instructor learnt it direct from a Gracie! :eek: :confused:

Yes, be specific when you explain.

If your instructor is not qualified in BJJ then you are not training BJJ. You may be training some poor second rate imitation ground fighting and therefore I believe you are fully justified in querying this with your instructor! There's no need to question his TKD credentials, but every reason to question his BJJ/ground credentials. Don't forget how much of a "bandwagon" BJJ & MMA can be! Everyone wants to learn so everyone and his dog are suddenly teaching it. It does not mean they are qualified or able to do so.

Just because he has a 7th degree in TKD does NOT mean he is qualified to teach BJJ.

Then how about using the stand up rules you normally use, and when one of you falls over you use the ground rules you are used to? Pretty straightforward. :rolleyes:

12. Nettey04

Nettey04 Valued Member

Garibaldi, I know you are trying to help. And I do know that BBJ is a "bandwagon" MA.
    Do you agree that if you have submisson knowledge, you do not have to be a master or highly ranked to able to teach what you know. All I am saying is that he is only giving me the basic knowledge. I am not saying that he is a BBJ teacher he is just sharing what he knows. I have grappled with some of his old students who have also trained with BBJ instructors as well as mine and they have nothing but kind words to say. I also train in Judo and some of the moves that I have learned from my insructor I have been shown in Judo class. Knowing that my instructor is not qualified to rank people in BBJ is the reason that I started Judo so one day I will be able to rank students in a grappling art. Not that it is the exact same as BBJ, but it is were it started from. When I started this post I thought that maybe some of you had a strict set of rules for MMA type training I did not mean to step on any toes or dog anyone . All I wanted was rules I guess I will hit google.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  13. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

Are you actually typing "BBJ" on purpose? You did it so many times that I honestly think you are. There's no such thing as "BBJ." Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is abbreviated with the letters BJJ (who'd have thunk it?) or Gracie Jiu Jitsu with GJJ.