Need motivation.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Tian-Tian, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

Hey MAP!

Once again I've taken an indefinite hiatus from MAP only to return with not much accomplished other than moving to a new state, transferring to a new university and miraculously finding employment. :)

Well, I guess that could be considered quite a bit... but as far as TKD goes I have not been active. The most physical activity I've done as far as keeping in shape is climb 3 flights of stairs every day, went hiking up a mountain once and visited the pool at my apartment complex only to discover the water is too cold and the pool too shallow to do much of anything, let alone laps. I've been having to cut back on food portions only because I can't afford much.

On the bright side, my joints are feeling ready for action again and my neck and back seemed to have healed up nicely since the car accident last year. Also, there is apparently a TKD club on campus that I'm looking to join later in August during Club Rush week. And to continue helping my joints, I'm in a Tai Chi class (which will also help keep me relaxed since I'm taking math this Fall... the horror!)

Until then, I just need to come up with a workout regime, fit it in my busy work schedule and stick with it.

I need motivation......

How's the world on this end? :cool:

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sort it put or I'll sing to you. Motivation enough?

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Possibly stupid question but do you enjoy training or do you find it a chore?

4. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

When I lack motivation (which is every week because karate terrifies me every class, but that's part of why I go), I think of the feeling I get after a physically and mentally exhausting session where I know I was scared but did my bit (this is basically every lesson :p), that feeling where I go home, peel off my gi and shirt, sit down and think I absolutely deserve every good thing in my life lol

Dunno if you get that feeling after taekwondo (as in you personally, not suggest for a second that taekwondo isn't as awesome as karate xD), but just a suggestion.

5. Moi

Sure you're not mixing up karate and a trip to the dentist?

6. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

As someone who's had two root canals, three or four teeth pulled (it's kinda worrying that I can't even remember) and countless fillings* I can safely say, for better or worse, nope.

If you met my sensei perhaps you'd get what I mean** xD Though if you met me, you'd know I'm the token nancy of the class so whenever we do stuff where I might get hit I react like a clown just ran in and dived on my back.

*Depression does terrible things for keeping up with oral hygeine, kids
    ** In case you're reading this sensei, I say that with utmost respect :D

7. Moi

I like going to the dentist. She's blonde and Russian. Still haven't persuaded her to call me Mr Bond yet but I'm trying

8. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Im not sure if TKD is/was your primary art, but find some video footage of a well known practitioner. Watch and see if "the spark" is still there...

..rinse and repeat..

ps-by well known, I actually meant..a champion, or gold medalist-type.

9. Tian-Tian

Oh mans if you give me some sparring gear and a partner I could go at it for hours. Or even just a kicking bag. I love working on my form and kicks and everything. It's just that I haven't done it in so long... I don't want to lose my spark. I know it's still there, just need a chance to go at it and kick something (in the face, preferably).

10. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Enter a comp ???????

11. Tian-Tian

Haha I wish! I have to work and pay bills and do things that take away from things I actually like to do. And plus, I'd embarrass myself if I entered any comps in the condition I'm in.

12. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Been taking TKD for about 8 months - some of the Black Belts want me to go in for a comp... why... Because they want to bet on the fact that I'll be disqualified within the first thirty seconds...

Can't sweep, Can't catch kicks, Can't tread on toes, Can't hit from behind (especially when strangling opponent)... Sheesh what's a fella to do :)

Seriously though - I'm loving TKD training - it's great to put on a white belt and just go and have fun and try to learn stuff.

All the best.

Robert.

13. Moi

Disqualification's as good as a win

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I should get you and my 1st kyu judoka and occasional kickboxer student who's nearly 60 together and we'll see who "cheats" best :D

Mitch

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

The motivation is the training. If you want to do it because of what the training with give you you'll never train for long periods. You'll go here and there but not consistently.

Martial arts is about the journey, not the destination. If you really want to train you'll go train, there not really anything more to it.

16. Tian-Tian

Unfortunately my recent journeys have not been the greatest; I am trying to make the best it and find my footing again so I can focus on training. And school and work and relationships and studying and everything else in my life. I'm lacking proper balance in a lot of areas.

Geez, it took me staying up to 4:12am to realize this.

17. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

You might talk to some of the people at the TKD club and see about setting up an open mat every once in a while for people to show up and fool around a little with drills, sparring, kata, all that. Training and practicing with people outside the regular school time and location is good for you, and most people don't get much of it.

18. Moi

How about writing out a schedule? A week to week planner with all the things to want to do on it. Give yourself plenty of free time but get the classes on there together with anything else you might feel you're neglecting. Then stick to it. After a while I doubt you'd even need it but at first it'll give you direction.

Great advice given to me recently by the way. I love lists, I know where I am (or is that maps??)

19. Dikzzz

Dikzzz Valued Member

If it's warm where you are right now, why not meet up with some fellow students and train in the park.
    Or if you are close to the coast, go train on the beach.
    Training in a different location can be really inspiring.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Here's some motivation...we are only on this planet a short time.
    If you want to live a fruitful and happy life you need to take charge of it and make use of what time you have.
    My motivation is that I don't want to be a 50 year old couch potato.
    So I move everyday. I train. I run. I walk. I vault. I do cartwheels in the park. I occasionally do martial arts.
    If you don't have time for it right now don't feel bad. It's not a prison sentence you have to complete. I've taken time off over the years. Go with what you feel and hopefully things will change.