Need more will, need more inspirations!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by zhangsanfeng, Apr 24, 2006.

1. zhangsanfeng

zhangsanfeng Valued Member

I made several good choices on my exercises but can't follow it regularly, I need some will and inspirations but how? I would like some advices and would also like to share mine.

Mine inspirations mostly come from trying to set my community right and make a stop to "racism".

Peace is essential.

2. zhangsanfeng

Anyone even care about this post? If not please just delete it.

Thanks

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hi dude,

I think you need to be a bit more specific about what you want to ask people.

What kind of things would inspire you?

What do you want to know?

4. zhangsanfeng

I wanted to know what is the motivation that kept you going and going into martial arts. What is the motivation that kept you training regularly. The thing about me is when I train I train hard but after few days I stop the training. What is your motivation?

5. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

i understand what you mean. i think that motivation comes through in phases. sometimes i'll be really motivated, and at others i won't give a damn.

here's my top 10 motivators, maybe people might care to write their own list

1) passing a big grading :rolleyes: i feel like i've achieved something, and then i hit earth and thing "omg im a BB, i better show people that i deserve it" *runs and hits the H&F forum*

2) seeing other people achieve big things: when i watch videos of amazing martial artists, or pictures of really fit looking girls, it makes me want to be like them!

3) i also watched a programme on telly about "normal" people running the London Marathon, and i thought, if they can do it, so can i

4) a good workout song. there's nothing better than somehting upbeat to get you in the mood for a workout

5) a good diet: i always find that when i force myself to eat healthily, my spirits are higher, and im generally more in the mood to do things

6) the more i exercise, the more i want to exercise!

7) setting yourself small achievable goals: if i set myself a goal or doing the splits, il get really depressed and give up if i cant do it in a few days lol
    so, i set myself smaller goals, like if i can just get 10 cm closer to the ground...

8) charts: i love charts and things. when i fill them in it makes me feel like iv achieved something, so it gives me motivation to move on to the next goal!

9) a buddy: if you want to train extra, see if they arent some mates from your MA club that fancy all getting together for a session. we sometimes get together for some sparring, and when other people need you to be there that helps

10) FORCE yourself! whatever works for me, may not work for you. but sometimes, im in my room and i think "i could be doing 10 push ups" so i just think GET ON THAT FRIKKING FLOOR NOW AND DO IT BIATCH!

:Angel: hope it helps :D :D

i just re-read the post and you actually dont ATTEND training. to me that says you're not enjoying it! it should be part of your lifestyle, that those days are reserved for training and you will go. and i think a minimum of 2 times a week is important to keep the insterst up.
    if you're not finding it exciting enough to stay, maybe you should consider taking up another class.
    i just love trainin, i love the people there, and i hate missing a session, and it's got like it naturally.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't understand. You train hard for a couple of days and then quit? What do you do for that couple of days then?

It would probably help for you to be able to tie your training directly to your goals. In other words, can you describe how your training directly relates to stamping out racism in your community? If not, you're probably going to need to identify a different motivator. Something that's easier to connect the dots.

Stuart

7. Ferenc

Ferenc New Member

I think you have to find a more personal benefit for your training.
    Its honorable, although doomed I think, that you want to do something good for your community but I dont think that is enough - it seems obvious by your thread in the first place.

You have to find personal, more selfish and internal benefits - health, self-defense for yourself, comradery, friendships, or spirituality for example.
    If you depend on others to keep you going then what will happen when people unavoidably let you down or hurt you emotionally?
    I bet that will make you quit since you are servicing other people with your training and they are the source of your actions, you are dependent on them.
    If your strength in training comes from inside and personal motivations, not from the outside, you have an internal source of will and energy.
    So think and worry about yourself first before worrying about others.

8. Keidan

Keidan New Member

I find that the best inspiration one can get, is the benefit of using martial arts in order to better yourself, to become stronger, more energetic, and healthy. The reason I continue to do it is to find a way to calm myself, to focus mainly on my studys, so that I can forget all my personal problems, as well as to become a better, more healthy person. Martial Arts can only make you better, it is your choice whether or not you remained comitted to it. You see..inspiration can be found in the simplest things.

9. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

If you find motivation in helping other people, a very achievable thing to think about is increasing your own skill with a view to being able to teach others to defend themselves, help others to develop emotionally and physically and so forth.

You don’t need to reach a very high grade before being able to pass on a few tips new novices. Even after a month or two you may be able to give a tip or two to a complete novices.

10. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

After doing it, you most likely feel good about yourself, and are glad you have trained, right?

Well remember that, next time you doubt; when you don't want to train. Tell yourself: "I might not want to train now, but it's never happened even once that I wasn't glad I did it!"