Need more of an understanding of the different competitions (K-1, UFC, Pride)...

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by jread, Jun 15, 2004.

1. jread

jread New Member

I know of these different MA competitions but I'm not sure how they work. I've gathered, though, from what people say on here that they have different rules, etc.

The only one I've watched is UFC, which seems to have lots of grappling. I've heard they can't stay on the mat forever anymore, though. Is this true? I hope so because watching grapplers try to get a submission for 30 minutes was BOOOOOORING!! UFC tends to not be that exciting to me unless someone crazy is on there like Tank, lol.

The K-1 clips I've seen have shown it to be more of a striking-oriented competition. Is this correct? I've found the K-1 matches I've seen to be much more fast-paced and exciting than UFC matches.

As far as PRIDE, I've never seen it before so I don't know.

Could anyone give me an explanation of these three competitions so that I can better understand what they're about?

2. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

K-1 is kickboxing/lot of striking based competition.
    UFC is an MMA comp so yes be prepared to see lots of grappling. I havent heard of the rule about not aloud to stay on the floor though. If so thats lame as **** because its taking the MIXED part out of MIXED MARTIAL ARTS.
    Pride is a bit more skillful than UFC (although i think UFC is better)
    In pride you see a lot more grappling because there are lots of JJ and BJJ fighters from Japan etc.
    In UFC whole fights can go with striking without being taken to the floor.
    In Pride it is more of a rarity to see a whole fight striking.

And im guessing you dont do any grappling MA or MMA because you find watching grappling boring. Once you realize theres skill behind it it beomes very interesting. I suggest you watch K-1 if you don like grappling.
    Its people who dont know anything about grappling who commercialize these competitions.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  3. jread

jread New Member

Thank you for your help.

You're right, I am not into grappling (although I will be in a class very soon) and therefore would rather watch paint dry than two people go for a submission. I'm sure I will like it more once I learn some grappling myself. I still don't think anything is more exciting than a high-energy striking match, though, even if you are a grappler :D

4. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Groundfighting in the UFC depends upon whether or not you are stalling, or trying to better position and stay busy. You take a break, you get stood up. You cling from the bottom to ride out the round, you get stood up. You FIGHT, you no get stood up.

K-1 has shied away from the kickboxing a bit, and has started to feature more freak-show type MMA matches such as Sudo versus Butterbean.

5. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Its wierd, in the early stages you'll fast forward the videop once somebody starts grappling. But when you become a little experienced in grappling yourself, as they are grappling you'll be saying "GO ON, GO FOR THE ARMBAR!!" or " NICE MOVE MATE" and it becomes as exciting as stand up.

6. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

I agree with Jamo. Once you have an aprpeciation of the grappling and submission game, your eyes light up when you do see an cooly executed submission attempt!

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I remember i used to get bored as soon as the fighters hit the floor and started grappling. But now ive started grappling myself i love it. The way they move and control their opponent.

8. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

K-1, Pride, difference?

is there a difference between K-1 and Pride, or are the two organizations essentially the same, just different organizations? i know both are based in japan and both take place in a standard boxing ring.

9. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

K-1 allows striking only no clinching or grappling. Pride allows grappling and clinching too.

10. brainuse

brainuse New Member

Let me see if I can sum this up as efficiently as possible.

K-1 began as a kickboxing organization, with their first events around 1993. They have focused primarily on heavyweights, but in recent years, K-1 Max, their branch for smaller guys, has been far higher quality and more exciting than standard HW K-1. Standard K-1 matches are kickboxing only, and in recent years (often under somewhat shady circumstances) they have made more and more rules against Thai clinch style tactics.

K-1 has mixed in a variety of MMA matches throughout the years, but only recently have they developed a serious MMA division with their K-1 Heros (and eariler Romanex) shows. While K-1s general MMA talent level is pretty low, they still put on some big shows, and have quite a lot of interest in their lightweights, with guys like Yamamoto and Sudo drawing HUGE in Japan.

UFC and Pride (along with Shooto, TKO, Rumble on the Rock, Icon, Cage Rage, ZST, Deep, Pancrase, Jungle Fight, Meca WVT, King of the Cage, and a million other organizations you might hear of) are MMA organizations. Some of these organizations will ocassionally stage kickboxing or grappling matches, but generally they are purely MMA based.

There are no unified worldwide rules for MMA, thus while it is all considered to be the same sport, each one of these organizations have rule variations. UFC allows elbow strikes, but no knees or kicks to a ground opponent. Pride bans elbows all together but stomping guys is fine. Shooto has no rules against hitting to the back of the head, and gives a ten count for striking knockdowns. It goes on and on.

The great majority of MMA organizations will now work on a round system and will stand a fight up, or give stalling penalties, if it is stalled on the ground. This varies by organization, as some of them will stand it up quite quickly, and others will almost never interfere as long as guys are working. This has done a lot to stop the lay and pray bore fests that filled early Vale Tudo and UFC shows.

11. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

Now that I'm doing BJJ I get excited when I see a good submission attempt or escape or something like that, but for a good portion of the time if some guy's just in the others half guard adn trying to work and theres a punch every 10 seconds, I can still get pretty bored.

12. special43543

special43543 Special Member

I guess this is as good as a place to post this as any. What is ILF? I know it has something to do with teams and MMA, and Bas Rutten is heading it or something. Can anyone inform me exactly what is going on with it..as well as anyone know anyway. I know they have said there will be know kicks, knees, or elbows while on the ground. I don't know if that's to the head only or what though, so the ground and pound game could get dummed down a lot. I have also heard about ILF in contact with FOX networks? What is that...are they going to air it on FOX?

13. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

Jamo has it right, once you start taking a grappling art, you start picking out the moves you know out of UFC or Pride, you begin to guess what moves he can do from that position which makes it fun.

As for K-1, I think its crap, the old fights were better, when it was more MMA and not Kickboxing, Chung Li is the only REAL grappler left in K-1.

14. brainuse

brainuse New Member

International Fight League

Brand new attempt at an MMA organization. Teams of five guys, one in each weight division, compete against each other supposedly every 6 weeks. They've used some shady marketing, like pushing the team coaches rather than the fighters, and a lot of people are extremely skeptical, as a few league mma ideas like this have failed in the past. Rutten is one of the four team coaches.

Rules: Short 3 minute round, quick standups, no elbows to the head, no knees or kicks to the head of a grounded opponent. They are trying to push action, but I fear it will cause a lot of decisions.

Supposedly they already have a tv deal with Fox, though the report is the first event will not be aired as they will use that event to put together video footage for future airings.

http://www.ifl.tv/Index.aspx

15. brainuse

brainuse New Member

I don't even know where to begin with this.

First, until recently, K-1 had only rare MMA matches, and has only had a dedicated MMA arm for a short time. It's basically always been a kickboxing organization, so I don't know what you mean about it being more MMA in the old fights.

Chung Li has never taken part in a K-1 kickboxing bout or a K-1 mma match. He was in a few San Shao side bouts on K-1 cards. However, he is no longer connected to k-1 in any way that I know of.

Chung Li's grappling skills in a non-San Shao setting, where he doesn't completely outclass his opponent, are totally untested.

16. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

its Cung Le and the guy hasnt fought in an actual K-1 event in his career. he fights nobodies and has-beens under a ruleset no one has heard of to protect his record.

K-1 has never been about MMA. it has RECENTLY introduced a MMA section to their shows but that is still pretty minute compared to the kickboxing segment. i will agree that the quality of fighters, in the heavyweights at least, has gone down the toilet.