Need help with Uniform.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KidCanFight, Aug 18, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Well, I got a TKD uniform today, but I dont know how to do it up. I know how to do the belt, but not the top shirt thing. Could someone help me please :)

2. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

All TKD uniforms I know of have a smock type top, so you just slip it on over your head. Is the one you bought a wrap around one like in judo or something then? :confused:

3. KidCanFight

There are little tie things on the inside. Its weird.

4. angry

angry Valued Member

(Oh no, this is making us aussies look a bit slow! :D ) Only kidding.

When in doubt do what all the wise people do!

Ask your mum! :)

or your instructor.

Just put it on and work through it yourself. It is a little different from a t-shirt and jeans but your martial arts dobok/gi/uniform has a long history and this question has been ask through out most of it!

5. KidCanFight

Oky doky. My Mum doesnt know. I will ask my friend (who does TKD)

6. angry

angry Valued Member

It is not to uncommon but this is one of several reasons I have all my students try them on when I give them one, but if you got yours from somewhere other then your class, I am sure your friend or your instructor will be happy to show you how at the next class. If it is a v-neck uniform (like a oversized long sleeved t-shirt) don't worry about the ties. If you have a cross-over (open at front with a piece from each side which cross over to cover your chest) then you tie the one at the end of each side to the one in the middle of the other side. It is normally the left side last so it is over the right side.

I hope this helps.

7. Ren-shi-shin

Ren-shi-shin New Member

if it is one-sided tie elastic, this goes under the shirt, across to the button on the other side, which holds the top flat.

8. Sang

Sang Valued Member

Is it a WTF of ITF uniform? I could help you if it's a WTF uniform.

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Easy way: cut off all of the ties... the belt will hold the top in place anyway

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

no, it definitely won't. i find the elastic string helpful, especially when sparring.

11. Handsup

Handsup New Member

uno...i dont think iv eva heard a question like this before ....

truely unique

12. Thomas

Hey... looks like a deep argument here: yes, it will! :D

I've never had a problem with the v-neck or the wraparound by not using the ties. In fact, the wraparound unfirms we wore in Korea didn't have ties on them at all anyway. On the v-necks, I found the elastic strap broke quickly, (or if it had the string ties, they broke quickly) and/or the button fell off fairly soon. By not replacing them , I didn't have a problem. Tie your belt on tightly and go to it. (Also, if you do any grappling or grabbing in class, the ties will break off anyway).

Personal preference, I guess.

13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

:D :D :D we don't use wraparound uniforms. they're all v-necks but i find the elastic string very handy. the buttons of my unforms have so far never fallen off and i always use the string because otherwise the uniform simply...well..moves. maybe it's a girl's thing :D :D :D

14. KidCanFight

I still dont really get it. I will ask my instructor.

15. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hahahaha you should've done that in the first place. but let me give it a try:

a) if it is an elastic string, then the string is let's say on the right side and a button on the left side of your v-neck uniform, if we are talking about a v-neck uniform. so you attach the elastic string over your stomach to the button and all that underneath the front part of your v-neck uniform, or better said top.

b) if there are ties, then there is one tie on one side, the other tie on the other side and you can tie them again underneath the front part of your top

so in both cases, the string and the ties, they prevent the back part of your top from moving and when you tie your belt then the front part won't move either.

was that a bit better? :D

16. Sang

Sang Valued Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Let's hope he doesn't have a uniform with loads of different ties/elastic strings!!!

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hope never dies :D :D :Angel:

18. Thomas

:D :D :D That could be a difference!

19. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

The little button fell off mine, and I didn't even use it!!

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well guys if you want to use the button, then a little thing called 'a needle' will definitely help :Angel: