need help with switch kick

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Sep 21, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

Hello lately I've been messing around with the switch kick in sparring but have been getting countered/caught most the time. It has been making me think the kick doesn't work (I know it does but as you see after getting countered a lot,it decreases my confidence in the manuever) .
    My question is there any way to disguise the kick or a really effective set up? For example I have been doing the basic combo that ends with a 2 then a switch kick.
    I'm trying to start throwing these more and other switch attacks such as the knee but I feel like when I execute the switch step is when a good guy reacts.
    Any help? Thank you

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Practice practice practice. Get on the bag or pads and drill, drill, drill until that switch step is speedy speedy.

The best ways I've found to use it, being someone who doesn't like the switch myself is:
    You can throw a one two with a strong jab, weak cross and switch just before the end of the cross and then kick.
    Get them backing up and switch as you move forward a little.
    Get them circling toward your jab and away from your power hand and switch kick.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Could be you may be doing too large of a movement which lets your opponent see it coming from a mile away. It will be a large movement when you first learn it but you need to eventually make it short and quick for it to be effective. You don't always need to go into a whole stance switch, you can even move the lead foot slightly behind or even with the rear foot to load up the hip for the kick. Some guys hop up in the air too which not only makes it a big movement but also makes them vulnerable to getting knocked down from a good hit.

Buakaw Por Pramuk has absolutely beautiful switch kicks so watch him on Youtube to see this in action.

If you like using a switch after a 1-2, when you execute the switch after the rear straight you can throw out your lead hand as a feint while switching to distract your opponent. Typically a feint with my lead hand while switching is a good set-up for me.

4. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Could you post a video?

Remember that the switch kick with its foot work is a shuffle, not a jump. If you jump into your southpaw or orthodox stance it will telegraph the kick.

This is usually how I do the kick;

• Stand in Jod Muay (Muay Thai stance).
    • *With your front foot, bring it back so its in line your back foot. Both feet should be horizontally in line with each other and pointing out towards 45 degrees.*
    • Next, quickly step forward with your back foot (your foot should be at a 90 degree angle, which opens up your hips) and pivot as you would normally do with the Te Tat (Thai Round Kick).
    • Throw the Te Tat.
    • After kicking or missing the target, bring the kicking leg back so its in line with your supporting leg.
    • Step back with your supporting leg into Jod Muay.

In a combination such as the Jab, Cross, Thai Kick. Do the switch on the cross, then follow up with the kick.

*Some fighters prefer to switch stances by moving both feet at the same time. But I find (at least for me anyway) that it telegraphs the kick. You can still get power from doing what I suggested as the power in the kick comes from opening up the hips and pivoting into the kick.*

Here's a video too of the switch kick;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwPhOSDBFIA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwPhOSDBFIA[/ame]

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I had to modify my switch after my right knee went gammy (cant put a twisting weight on it).

I essentially just (in orthodox) step my right foot (back leg) forward to 2 o clock, as Hapuka says, foot pointing outwards to open the hips and kick from there.

This is usually after a hand combo that raises the opp's guard to hide my motions.

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yep, same here. Both of my knees are shot, but you learn to adapt with what you've got (and sometimes It ends up working out better than before).

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Look at 3:22 and later in this video for Bas for some ideas:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBlnD_Bi5fw"]Bas Rutten power kicking instructional - YouTube[/ame]

It is a little dangerous to expose the inside of the knee like Bas does, but he pulls it off. Key to switch kick is the shoulder movement. Keep the shoulder movement to a minimum so as hide the footwork and not telegraph.

If you have ever used "Chinese hidden foot", it is the same concept.

8. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Its only dangerous if you leave it hanging out there. If the technique is preformed properly, especially if you don't telegraph by jumping or like you said; displaying shoulder movement during the switch itself (with the exception of throwing the jab, cross then switch). It will be hard for an opponent to kick the inside of the supporting leg as you're pivoting away and generally have it located to the outside of your opponents feet (as Bas demonstrated).

As an extra note: Don't try to match up the switch kick with any punches that are not straight eg: the hook, uppercut, elbow or back fist. Your weight distribution needs to even (50/50) before and during the switch, and your feet need to be pointing straight ahead towards your opponent. Although you're pivoting on the cross, its a very quick pivot in comparison to the hook, uppercut, elbow and back fist. Also unlike the hook, uppercut, elbow and back fist, the cross is linear like the jab which is similar to what you would do if you were throwing the kick on its own anyway.

9. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Ask your coach.. Or get a better one. Each club should have their own style on when and where to use it.