need help with some japanese stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

‎1-how would these characters be pronounced in japanese?

發勁 (in chinese these are "fa jing". japanese should be something like "kei hanatsu" or "hanatsu kei", right?)

2- what would be the translations of "kagi-zuki", "kake-uke" and "kake-te? (-zuki as in 突, with the meaning "thrust" or "stab", uke as in 受ける/ukeru with the meaning "to receive", te as in 手/hand) kagi-zuki is usually translated as hook punch (thrust being the term used in karate to refer to punches), which the dictionary i'm using would support, however other techniques explicitly use the term "hook/hooking" in their english names, and are called "kake-uke and kake-te" (hooking reception/hooking hand), for which the dictionary reveals no satisfactory meanings. additionally, which kanji would be correct for them? i can find 鈎 and 鉤 apparently read as kagi and meaning hook, but nothing for kake.

help plz :)

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I could be wrong here, but might "kake" and "kagi" be alternative romanisations for the same word? Sounds tend to be transcribed as "k" or "g" depending on their position in the character string and the surrounding characters, same with "e" and "i".

e.g. "akeru" = to raise up, "age uke" = raising 'reception'
    or "kumite" = meeting hands, "tegumi" = hands meeting

3. Fish Of Doom

my online translator says kage is "gambling". it's possible though. this one's more out of curiosity though, i already got the kanji i needed for "kagi". more interested in the first one now, but thanks anyway ;)

4. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Without seeing the kanji, it isn't easy to say for certain, but most commonly I would expect that you are refering to:

"Kagi Tsuki/Zuki" being "hook (kagi) punch/thrust (tsuki)
    "Kake Uke" being "trapping (kake) block (uke; more literally "to recieve"), and
    "Kake Te" being "trapping (kake) hand (te).
    "Kage" most commonly refers to "shadow", rather than gambling, for the record.

The kanji for "fa jing", on the other hand (well, the first one at least) I can't find. It's possibly been altered for Japanese. The second one (Kei) simply means "strong", though.

5. Fish Of Doom

d'oh, i meant kake! brainfart due to all the k/g switching :p

jisho.org gives me this:

http://jisho.org/kanji/details/發勁

however what i'm looking for is if there is any way of writing it in romaji that would keep the contextual meaning of the term fa jing in chinese martial arts (that being roughly projection or expulsion of power).

6. Fish Of Doom

cheers for the "trapping" translation. just found the verb "kakeru" through it, thanks!

7. Chris Parker

Ah, that helped. As the Jisho site says, it's not a common usage kanji, although I did find the alternate version easily enough. In terms of pronouncing it in Japanese, my estimation would be "hakkei".

Not a problem with the "Kake" one. It's commonly translated as either "trap" or "hook" (Osoto Gake, for instance, is "Big [O] Rear [Soto] Reap/hook [Kake]). To help out a little more on "kagi", it's not the idea of "hooking", as Kake is, but more the idea of a hook, or nail.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. Fish Of Doom

some googling reveals 'hakkei' to apparently be the accepted translation. thanks a lot!

9. Chris Parker

Ha, cool! I'm getting better at this stuff.....

10. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

That's the trick with Japanese, since most kanji have at least two pronunciations. It's hard for a non-native speaker to know which one to use when.

11. Fish Of Doom

12. Chris Parker

Sorry, just coming back to this....

The change of sound from "k" to "g" happens when the initial "k" is the start of a term, and is combined as a suffix, or when said (still as the beginning of the word) after certain sounds. That's why we have the change from a "k" sound in "kumi" when it's "kumiuchi", or "kumitachi", or "kumite". When used as a suffix it can change, as in "tegumi". With the "ukeru" one, though, not sure about your definition/translation there. There is a term which is pronounced "akeru", but that is not the same character/word as "age" that you are seeing (this "akeru" refers to "opening", for the record). In fact, "age" is just a shortened version of the verb "ageru", which means "to raise", so there is no change for "age uke" (raising block/to recieve by raising).

The basic point of all of this is that "kake" and "kage" are not a difference in pronunciation, as the change does not occur halfway through a word. And there is never an alteration from "e" to "i" (as in "kake" to "kagi").

13. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

掛ける is kakeru. As in osoto gake. Explanations when it comes to kanji are often lacking. Kakeru could also mean a piece is missing(欠ける), gambling(賭ける), etc. Context determines which one you would assume they mean. There are many words that sound the same but the kanji and meaning is different(though I am sure Chris already knew that).

ps-getting a good electronic dictionary is a plus. In Japan at least they go for about 20,000 yen. Online, Jim Breen's site is often useful.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  14. Fish Of Doom

cheers. i actually already completed the article quite some time ago, and i'm waiting to see if anyone can help me replace the old version, which is full of horrible errors and faulty information.

speaking about which. mitch? :(