Need help urgently please.

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Axelator, May 11, 2009.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I found out I have to take an hour long kids class tommorow. I don't mind doing adult classes but I really am unsure how to handle kids. I've drawn up a bit of a plan

5 minutes: Warm up and Dynamic stretches
    10 minutes games/competitions: Stuck in the mud with push-ups after getting caught, push up war (knocking your opponents hands from under them while in push up position), push war (standing opposite your opponent with palms shoulder height facing your opponent, you have to try and push them over by hitting their palms)
    20 minutes kickboxing:
    Jab with step
    Jab, cross
    Jab Cross, rear roundhouse
    Side kicks on kick pads and punch bags
    Parrying straight punches
    Competition: ski sit (who can maintain ski sit the longest winner gets to hand out punishment to others), plank (same as ski sit)
    Stretching
    Cool down

I probably won't get through all the sections on the kickboxing part, I just listed enough so i definitely wont run out. I think the age range is going to be about 13 and under. I haven't interacted with kids this young since I was that age so I'm struggling to know at what level this lesson needs to be pitched. I want to teach them, but at the same time want them to enjoy it, and I know if I just go into all the technical detail they will get bored, that's why I put games and stuff in.

Can anyone who has kids or has taught them tell me if they think this lesson would be alright? Also what should I do if they go mental and just don't listen to me or have an attitude? Some of the parents stay to watch so I would feel a bit self concious telling their kids off as I'm 18.

Also is everything I listed safe for them to do? We practise on a wooden board floor. However I have a material floor I can use in the ring.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

suggestion: if the kids misbehave, and their parents are watching, remind them of that, and make them feel guilty for misbehaving in front of them.

i've handled a small kids class before, and what i can tell you is, talk to them, make them have fun, and make them feel they can trust you. if they trust you, they'll behave, or at least they won't cause any great trouble if they don't want to do something. get them to like you, and it should be smooth sailing from there.

good luck mate, hope you survive the ordeal :p

3. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

You got too much kickboxing in for younger kids. You need to break it down a bit more have them doing 5min line work then a 10min game built around that move, then back to 10min pad work etc

Push up war is a bad idea for younger kids unless you have mats, the slightest bump will make some kids cry and that will eat into your class trying to deal with it.

My class is something like this :

5min going over rules :

1. hand up to ask question
    2. talk when i talk = group push ups
    3. laugh or mess around at someone = sit ups

10min warm up and stretch (remember these are kids not adults still very flexible)

10min stance work

1. left / right stance and switching between them
    2. jab
    3. jab > cross
    4. jab > cross > snap kick
    5. double jab > roundhouse
    6. side kicks

5min break

10min pad work

1. jab > cross > hook > hook > upper cut > upper cut
    2. jab > elbow > knee
    3. jab > roundhouse > sidekick

rest of the time games :

idea one :

Get two kicking shields have two children hold them and 1 ref, you stand in front of one pad and the student on the other the ref goes "1, 2, 3 GO" on "GO" you have to hit the pad the loser does 5 x sit ups, if they beat you, you do 10! Great game to build speed and reactions!

idea two :

Gladiators two kick shields on the floor a blocker each one student on each pad and they have to knock each other off. Builds up balance and control

idea three :

Red, Yellow, Green : Students line up at end of the room on GREEN they move up and down the hall doing a move of your choice to say side kicks. on YELLOW they then do that move as slow as they can on RED they pause in that move and you keep them in that stance anyone moves they are out. After 10-30sec you say GREEN again. Good for balance and your able to correct the stance as well while making it fun!

idea 4:

Races with pad work use your imagination

If you want more let me know and ill send you a sheet I've made over time with various games on it. Just remember these are kids so no beastings, lots of small breaks and keep everything moving don't give them 20 sets to do they will get board and mess around! Keep them active and keep it fun!

EDIT

If they go mental punish them ALL and say who started it, start with 10 x sit ups and add 10 each time! You will find that the children will start to police the trouble makers for you!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Try "Kickboxing Freeze" for a game. Tell them to shadow box for a certain length of time, then they have to hold whatever position they're in perfectly still the moment you shout "Freeze!" If they move, they're out. Repeat until you have a winner.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Just knock 'em out one by one. Roundhouse to the head would be the best bet. They learn nothing but imagine the fun!

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Moi once again is the embodiment of British child protection policies :rolleyes:

7. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

how did the class go?

8. Axelator

Badly. I was warned it was more of a babysitting service than a class before but I thought I'd try and teach them something anyway. We did about 10 mins of kickboxing. There were two kids of just wanted to play "it" the entire time and refused to do anything else. So we pretty much played kickboxing orientated games for an hour.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So after all that Moi did have the best idea

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  10. Axelator

Yeah, I was tempted to kick two of them.