Need help putting together a weight free workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ya Boy Ninja, May 21, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

When I first started in MA, I knew an "advanced" student who had enormous difficulty doing pushups. I was quite amazed when I noticed how few students in all the classes were actually able to do a good pushup. :O Is that common in all MAs? :confused: I've only tried Asian MAs so far.

2. Hive

Hive Valued Member

I bow to those banging out proper push ups at such speed. Nuts! I can barely manage one per second.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's not that common among higher grades, but it's not unknown either. Especially in arts where sparring is light and emphasis is on the technique rather than power generation.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

loads of bjj guys ive seen do wide arm, hip sagging push ups with less than half range of motion

5. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

Add plyometric exercises to your routine, they'll give you a nice burn in the legs and will make you sweat like a priest at recess.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Plyometrics are usually programmed wrong and innappropriately, unless you're hitting an above body weight back squat (the reommendation by Verkhoshansky, the guy who invented the shock method was a double bodyweight squat), leave plyometrics alone.

In fact for jump sport athletes, Yessis describes the soviet conjugate systems programming, which usually used plyometrics after profiency was obtained in regular jumping, weightlifting and jumping with weights.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Nicely put its not that hard to understand really to actually get the full benefit from something you need to have the appropriate physical preparedness to actually do the method safely and effectively. Will plyometric make you jump higher even if you are weak and make you sweat and feel the burn? probably but you wont get as much out of them as you would if you had a decent strength base and will be more susceptible to injury, not to mention when you peak and Plateau (which you will) and need to move onto something else in order to make gains, where the heck do you go from there……. Remember the best way to train is with the least amount of time and most simplest methods that allow you to make gains, then when you Plateau you have somewhere to go in order to shock your body into further adaptions