Need help choosing style and school with my current options in Dallas

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Brandon Miller, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller New Member

Need help choosing between three styles and three schools in my area. Dallas Kyokushin Karate $80 a month 3 classes per week Learn Karate in Dallas, Texas | Dallas Kyokushin Karate which is 12 miles away from me. The next is the Judokai which is a freestyle Judo club. They are 16 miles from me and train three nights per week at $75 a month The Judokai - Dallas and Granbury Judo / JiuJitsu / Wrestling. The third school is a Sambo club in Arlington that’s 23 miles from me with three training sessions per week at $95 a month. https://www.sambotexas.com/
    I plan on either getting into kickboxing or mma competitively in the future. I have a competitive boxing and mma background. Due to time and budget I can only choose one art to train in currently while I do some boxing on the side. I’m leaning more towards judo or Kyokushin since Sambo is a little far for me to get to.

2. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

If you want to progress further into MMA I'd personally recommend Judo. Though on that same note, I've wanted to train in Kyokushin for a long time now, unfortunately, there aren't any Kyokushin schools over in Canyon, TX where I'll be moving to for grad school. Kyokushin is a solid style that is well respected within their realm. I would say, how long do you plan to train? If you are going to be training in your chosen style for an extended period of time, I would say Kyokushin, personally, but that's also with my inherent bias.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sambo is probably best for MMA. Surprised you can't find an MMA gym though.

Also, if you can get a USA wrestling card I'm sure you're allowed to wrestle at college. 100% I would wrestle in a college if I could.