Need Advice: Grip strength training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cable Focus, Dec 14, 2011.

1. huhuhuhuhu... you have not tried it, have you? ;)

osu!

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

That was my first thought too.

I've a 200lb gripper that I can get between 3-8 depending on what training I've been doing the rest of the week and that took me a while to achieve.

David horne makes some good kit.

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I've been considering getting one of his Vulcan grippers for a while now. The only thing that's stopped me is that I already have an Ivanko Super Gripper and they're kinda similar. It would be for the "toy" value if I did.

4. seiken steve

All gripper training of for toy value to me!

Farmers hits my traps more than my grip, I've been blessed with huge hands and some pretty decent holding power so grip has never been a worry.

I row a 50kg DB with no straps, Deadlift double over hand all the time and do fat grip farmers walks, frankly grippers are just something to play with/show off with to me.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Don't take this personally, but speaking as someone who has atrocious grip, I hate you! ;) :)

6. seiken steve

Huge hands and lots of chalk :)

Mainly use hook grip for lower rep stuff like cleans and deads, takes a while but your thumbs get used to it.

7. Frodocious

I've wimped out on using hook grip so far, but I may have to think about it at some point. Chalk definitely helps and I've just added Farmer's walks into my routine (although I'm going to struggle with having enough space on the dumbbell and enough weights to add once they get heavier).

8. seiken steve

Ahhh see DB farmer is more of a grip movement as the DB tries to roll out of your hand and open your fingers, farmer handles don't.

Hook grip is so worth it, I've been up to 185kg with it so far and hit 145kg for 15 with it too, definitely becomes an issue in higher rep sets for me.

Pulling mixed grip appears to have given me a few issues that I'm attempting to counter with always pulling DOH these days.

9. Two 20Kg (45 pounds) plates usually fit well on an adjustable dumbbell rod... ;)

Osu!

10. seiken steve

Hehe you said rod to frodo.

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I always used to do my warm-up sets with an overhand, then once it got too heavy switched over to a mixed grip. I think a lot of my grip strength came from that approach. The only problem with hook gripping is because of how the hand is it doesn't build as much grip strength. The farmer's walks will take care of that however.

12. Frodocious

Mixed grip seems OK to me - what issues were you having with it? Like Kuma (above) I warm up with double overhand and switch to mixed when my grip fails.

Farmers handles are on my wants list, but it's a long list and I'm skint at the moment!

But I only have 2x20kg plates so it would have to be a suitcase walk/lift (which is something I don't mind working towards though)

You are such a child! ;) :D

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If your gym has two tricep bars, you've got a set of farmer's implements right there. I used those for a long time until I finally got my hand on a pair of used implements.

[​IMG]

14. You don't need a .....er................. rod then...
    You can pinch a plate in each hand and off you go for a walk! (watch your feet when you drop the plates!!) :)

Farmers do that too ;)

Osu!

15. Frodocious

Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on how you view it), my gym is in my garage, so I'm limited to the equipment I have in there. :(

16. seiken steve

Tried the tricep bar on your recommendation a while ago Kuma, works really well.

I was just a little concerned about muscle imbalances pulling mixed, and after a while started to notice some, I can actually pronate one hand more than the other, my shoulder blades don't track the same etc. Thibs also told me I was at risk of tightening one psoas more than the other with always sticking with one type of mixed grip.

I used hook on every set to make my thumbs get used to it, now I only pull my work set or heavy singles with hook and everything else is DOH or monkey gripped.

With cleans hook grip makes a huge difference, really helps you to commit to the pull knowing that your grip is secure.

17. Frodocious

Fair enough. I make sure I pull mixed grip sets with both hand orientations to limit any imbalances.

I might try working hook grip on warm up sets to build up some thumb conditioning.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Here are a TCMA grip strength training to share:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vl02tUBoaE"]cane bundle twist - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012