need advice for son

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dcab, Jan 23, 2004.

1. dcab

dcab New Member

I am a mother of an 8 year old boy who loves to imitate fighting moves. He is interested in joining a class, but I have no idea where to start him. My father had suggested tung soo do?

Here's a description of my boy:

Very athletic. Started gymnastics at 4 years old and asked to compete after 4 months. He's a very fast learner and determined to be the best. He no longer competes because the boys team was canceled. I keep him in a class to keep his balance, coordination, and flexibility. I put him in soccer last year for the first time and was the star athlete making 17 goals for the season. He comes from an athletic family and I see he is physically talented for his age. He wants to try everything but I can't afford everything, so we are trying one/two sports a year until he finds what he wants to stick with. Oh, and he loves a challege and competition.

Can anyone help me find the right style, and place (instructor). I live in the Sacramento, CA area. I am looking for a place that teaches him patience, dicipline, security, defense, and to only fight when its a threat to his life.

ps... even if you don't know of any places in my area, please respond with suggestions of styles for an 8 year old boy and why.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Seems like his into looks, and acrobatic if his amuse by movie fighting. I would recommend wushu, and TKD school that have a decent demo team. He'll love that sort of stuff, and yeah he'll get discipline, security, defense and all that other stuff along with some fun. I'll see if i can look up a school for you.

3. dcab

dcab New Member

Thank you sooo much! I've been searching, but it's hard to, when I haven't a clue what to search for.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

For competition Judo and TKD are good. Shotokan Karate maybe, but I don't know anything about that. TKD and Judo should have lots of competitions, plus they have Olympic competitions, so that should something to look forward to.

Everything else depends on the school. Drive around, find out where some schools are, and watch a class. If it looks like the kind of thing you'd want your son to be doing, then you're set. Also, never settle for less. If you find a bad school, go look for a better one.

Tang Soo Do is kind of like Tae Kwon Do, but more hand techniques. We had a guy who took TSD for a while, then came to TKD, and he skipped a belt because he already knew lots of the stuff.

PL

5. totality

totality New Member

get your kid into judo, jujutsu, bjj, or submission grappling. i don't know if he'd want to, since there are few if any strikes, but he'd be so much cooler if he did grappling.

or muay thai. but i'm biased, so i'd probably never suggest anything other than what i have, regardless of the situation.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'd say Judo, Tae Kwon Do or a softer form of karate. Do a search on this forum on how to avoid a McDojo before you go check out a class. Most places will give you a free lesson or two, so you can see if he enjoys it before he commits himself to it.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello dcab,
    I feel that in order to capitalise on your son's gymnastic ability and love of Flash moves, then perhaps seek out either a Wu-Shu class or Capoeira.

Wu Shu is the sporting-orientated version of Chinese Martial Arts, it's very big on Gymnastic ability and style-flips, mad twirls, jumping spirals, flying moves etc. At this age it may well suit him to a tee.

Also Capoeira, the Brasilian Martial Art, will again appeal to his Gymnastic streak, will challenge him and teach him some neat tricks (Handstands, Cartwheels, Spinning stuff a bit like Breakdancing etc).

It also has some practical skills as well as the more flashy. Capoeira's also big on community spirit and has a lot of musical input, sessions are conducted to often live music played by the class members themselves.

At his age, kids want to have maximum fun from their pastimes and it may well be a great foundation for the future.

8. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

Since he is only 8 yrs old and is into gymnastics, I think Tae Kwon Do (Korean) or Shotokon Karate (Japanese) would be good.

I do Tae Kwon Do and so I'm biased. If you have future compeditive ambitions, look for a TKD school that teaches WTF (World TKD Federation) style sparring and forms. This doesn't mean that a ITF (International TKD Federation) school is bad, only if at the Black Belt level they (ITF) schools teach full contact sparring and WTF forms.

Unless you live in a major city, you may not have a lot of choices. Look in the phone book and or do an internet search and post the schools available to you here and maybe someone will know something about the school and can help.

I have 2 kids that do TKD (as do I) and we are 4 years into this. I can tell you from experience that if the child is enjoying the art, there are many opportunities for them to compete, if they don't like it, you will know very soon, so don't get caught up in a school that requires long term contracts. Most TKD schools appear to have "low" standards, but if the student is motivated, it is amazing what you can learn from them. A head instructor isn't going to drive himself crazy trying to get his kids to so well unless the kids want to.

Tom

9. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Hearing your son has quite a bit of gymnastic talent I would really recomend wu shu. Some forms of Kung fu may be well suited to him as well.
    TKD/TSD and judo could be a tremendous amout of fun for him as well but I dont think they would get full use of his affinity for gymnastics.
    He may really enjoy kendo too, from a kids perspective he gets to wear cool armor and beat on people with play swords, this is also a sponsored olymic sport.
    If you are fortunate to have a hanfull of these styles available I would take him and let him participate in a few classes (usually they will give you 2 to 3 freebies to feel out the class) for each art and let him decide, because it is all about having fun isnt it? :D

You're son is very fortunate to have a parent so open to the idea of MA. kudos

10. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Here is a quick list I compiled for you of MAs in your area.

Aikido Center
    2417 21st Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
    (916) 456-5641
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Aikido of Sacramento
    2001 Del Paso Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95815
    (916) 646-0767
    john@aikido-of-sacramento.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    American Tae-Kyon Martial Arts Association
    7902 Gerber Road, Sacramento, CA 95828
    (916) 484-3721
    Bruddas Brazilian JIU Jitsu
    9327 La Riviera Drive, Sacramento, CA 95826
    (916) 369-2384
    Center for Martial Arts
    3200 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95816
    (916) 446-6410
    Karate for Kids
    8161 Watt Avenue, Antelope, CA 95843
    (916) 349-8226
    Karate for Kids-Owings Blackbelt Academy
    5352 Auburn Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95841
    (916) 334-7444
    Langley's Karate School
    5255 Elkhorn Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95842
    (916) 348-8123
    Lodi Unified School District - Schools, High Schools 9 Thru 12, Lodi High, Attendance
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    (916) 331-7777
    Owings ATA Blackbelt Accadamy and Karate for Kids
    5352 Auburn Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95841
    (916) 334-7444
    Sacramento Judo Club Inc
    2875 Fruitridge Road, Sacramento, CA 95820
    (916) 452-5836
    Sacramento Wing Chun-Bak MEI
    7039 South Land Park Drive, Sacramento, CA 95831
    (916) 424-4710
    Tae KUK Mu SUL
    5800 Madison Avenue Suite J, Sacramento, CA 95841
    (916) 331-4444
    Typhoon Filipino School of Combat Arts
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    (916) 981-7627
    http://www.angelfire.com
    Typhoon Filipino School of Martial Arts
    4120 Franklin Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95820
    (916) 981-7627
    AA United Martial Arts College
    2111 16th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
    (916) 447-4448
    Action Kenpo-Karate Academy
    5706 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95820
    (916) 739-0379
    African-Brazilian Samba
    2427 17th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
    (916) 448-2988
    map | driving directions | add to My Directory
    After School Martial Arts
    5706 Broadway, Sacramento, CA 95820
    (916) 739-0379
    American Tae-Kyon Martial Arts Association
    7902 Gerber Road, Sacramento, CA 95828
    (916) 484-3721
    BUDO Education Center
    4111 Power Inn Road Suite B, Sacramento, CA 95826
    (916) 451-1961
    Capoeira-Brazilian Arts Center
    2427 17th Street, Sacramento, CA 95818
    (916) 448-2988
    Cerezo's Martial Arts & Supplies
    7217 Florin Mall Drive, Sacramento, CA 95823
    (916) 395-4116
    Dragon Fire Martial Arts
    6740 Folsom Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95819
    (916) 457-4636
    Family Martial Arts Center
    Po Box 60861, Sacramento, CA 95860
    (916) 485-1444
    Karate for Kids
    8161 Watt Avenue, Antelope, CA 95843
    (916) 349-8226
    Kids & Tots Kung Fu
    Po Box 163815, Sacramento, CA 95816
    (916) 564-6669
    map | driving directions | add to My Directory
    Koryo Tae Kwon Do Academy
    9408 Kiefer Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95826
    (916) 366-6107
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rancho Cordova Kendo Assosciation
    4016 Happy Lane - Sacramento - California
    916-428-5677

Man this is only after a few minutes of searching. I think it is sufficient to say 'YOU'RE SPOILED!" :D

Id pick a few of the local Tae Kwan Do schools, kung fu, Capoeira, karate, judo and kendo. that should be a good diversity.

*Mods I know we're not suppose to advertise our dojos but I am only trying to help some one make a potentialy overwhelming decision :)*

11. mikelw

mikelw New Member

If you want your child to be able to defend himself when he is older, then i'd suggest brazilian ju jitsu, wrestling, judo, or a non sportive style of karate (kenpo karate is usually good). All of these arts will also teach him honesty, respect, humility, and all that good stuff.

Sorry to say it, but arts like wushu, tae kwon do, and copeira often have little if any combat application.

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

He's a kid, they could care less about combat effectivness. Maybe when he's older and something like that suites him.

and did you REALLY have to quote that WHOLE directory?

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Yeah, at 8 years old, a slap across the face to the bully will be just as effective as any high-level Ju Jitsu lock.

Also, it depends largely on the school. The art itself was designed for combat. Whether the instructor desides to teach it that way or not is up to him/her.

PL

14. Cyph

Cyph Banned Banned

I personally would steer away from karate, TKD, wing chun and most traditional styles because they aren't trained like a sport and when it comes to the crunch, students can't apply it on the streets.

Anything that is trained as a sport - boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. stuff that involves contact is good IMO. BJJ is a tamer option over boxing, he won't get hurt physically even though he is still particpating in a sport against a RESISTING opponent, which is what a lot of traditional schools (not all) lack.

15. Serpico

Serpico New Member

I would take him to a few classes, and find out what he likes, and then make sure that the class provides what you feel is a possitive environment for your child. Most important is his enjoyment of the art.

16. fallout

fallout New Member

there are so many to choose form, I think the problem is that an 8 year old is not going to know whether he wants to do martial arts for sport e.t.c All I can say is that a few of my friends did TKD when they where younger and I think that they found the patterns and re frustrating. I am not in a position to comment though as I have not done either of them.

17. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Please please please PLEASE visit several of the schools and sit in on a few classes. Any respectable school will let you sit in on one or two, watch as many as you want, or even have a 'trial progam. No matter the style, SO MUCH depends on the individual school and instructor.

You obviously love your son. As one Mom to another, I recommend you visit several, observe, then trust your instincts. I signed my son up for Tae Kwon Do, but I also visited and checked out a local Karate school. The Karate place had full-contact sparring with no rules except no punches to the face, and no pads. I saw kids sparring for their belt tests end up hurt and crying. I watched the number of teachers, versus the number of students. I watched how many children my sons' age were there, and how they were treated. The place we ended up going offered full instruction, relative safety, plenty of supervision, and after-school and summer-camp programs. They were used to dealing with children, and treated them well.

18. grimel

grimel New Member

Let him have fun and learn something he can impress the girls with latter - capoeria and/or TKD. It'd be a shame to let all that gymnastics goto waste.

Later he can try some of the other styles. My grandson (age 6) is doing TKD because it's close to the house and it's flashy. Later, if HE chooses he can come train with me.

19. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

dcab;

Open the phone-book, make a list of MA's schools that are easy travel time from your home, and sit in on a class at each one w/ your son.

The two of you can pick from those: the one he likes and the one you feel has a strong youth program & family atmosphere.

20. dcab

dcab New Member

I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AND INPUTS. I WILL DEFINETELY SIT IN ON MANY PLACES BEFORE CHOOSING. i WILL TAKE MY SON AND LET HIM CHOOSE WHAT HE LIKES BEST. i DO WANT HIM TO ENJOY HIMSELF AT HIS AGE AND THE SAME TIME HAVE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE. I HAVE ADDED U ALL TO MY BUDDY LIST AND I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED!

THANX AGAIN!!
    DCAB-CHRISTOPHER'S MOM