Need a new everyday carry knife

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 6, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

One always must keep in mind the use of force continuum.

2. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I actually walk around with a scrimshaw bulldogge walking stick.
    It is a great accessory.

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Spring loaded knives are illegal in many locations in the US. Those pop open flip blades use a spring mechanism.

4. John R. Gambit

I practice this regularly. Seems logical given that I often carry a knife.

Sure.

It's not that hard to incorporate this stuff into training you know.

I carry my folding knife clipped to my front pants pocket. It ends up firmly attached but easily removed exactly where my hand naturally rests with my arms down at my side.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I find it difficult to see how a folding knife can be deployed quick enough to be of use.

Again that may be my English point of view and the fact that unless I draw the knife well before it's needed, how can I use it?

I am glad we don't allow the carrying and use of weapons in this country (and I teach weapons).

I'm going to a bladed weapons seminar today in aid of the Filipino hurricane fund and I'll keep in mind while training how often I'd be able to reach, open and deploy a folding knife.

6. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Well, like I said im not wepons expert but emerson uses a rapid deployment system on most of there knives. You can youtube it, id post a video link however I dont know how. Most of the videos iv seen are on the folder karambit but they do offer it on the standard folders as well. Seems very quick and efficient. I know spiderco has also adopted a similar or same system on some of their models.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've just seen a video and that does put a different spin on things.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY-3IC2NwQY"]Rapid Deployment Sheath from Emerson Knives - YouTube[/ame]

In this country that would be a ticket to go straight to jail.

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Yes well England dose have a lot of hooligans. :) .

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the idea of carrying a knife as a self defense wepon, I think they tend to escalate a bad situation to an even worst one. I do carry an EDC (every day carry) but never with the intention of being drawn as a self defense wepon. It a tool, to cut boxes, carve apples... right now I have a ken onion, nice little knife.

That being said I have always been interested in silat, kali and other wepons related arts. I just can't imagine ever using a wepon, maybe because im from a peaceful middle of nowhere town where conflict is relatively easy to avoid.

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

It depends My spyderco is clipped to my pocket and can be openend with 1 hand. So to draw and open it would take a second or 2.

No disrespect, but the UK has gone a bit over the top in that regard. I carry 1 or 2 pocket knives on a dail basis. Both are shorter than 3" but have a locking back, for the simple reason that locking knives are much safer to use than non locking. Yes I've cut myself with a non locking knife once.
    It snapped close when I was still holding it. I use those knives on a daily basis for a lot of different things. Openeing boxes and letters, cutting up cardboard, whittling a new point on a pencil. Removing a splinter from my finger, etc. There are alternatives for all those things, but now I only need to carry 1 tool. I have used it thousands of times, though I neverused it as a weapon.

Yet in the UK I would be arrested for it because a pocketknife which is ctually safe to use is a 'deadly weapon'. Considering that most stabbings are done using kitchen knives and screwdrivers, this is a bit silly. Especially since I could theoretically stab someone far worse with a sharpened pencil or a ballpoint pen.

Banning pocket knives is security theatre. It completely misses the point but is done to reassure the masses that the government is doing something to pretect them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. John R. Gambit

My startle reflex is off-hand up (the fence) and right hand covering my weapon hip. I can draw an unfold the blade simultaneously one-handed, with gloves on. I've done it before while jogging. A few months ago I was running and there was a rifle or shotgun report behind me and I spun and had my knife in my hand before I realized what I was doing.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

And yet I seldom feel the lack of a knife.

12. Count Duckula

Which is fine. My wife never carries one either. Several friends of mine don't either. My best friend usually does.

But that doesn't matter really. There is nothing inherently more dangerous about a small pocketknife than about a ballpoint pen. Especially where 'stabbing' is concerned. You don't 'need' a pocketknife. But just because you don't need it is no reason to ban it, considering that small pocketknives are not used in stabbings, and are not more dangerous than other things you are allowed to have.

The UK pocketknife ban is all about making the public feel good, it's not about actually increasing security or safety. People who are intent on stabbing someone and who disregard the law are not using a pocketknife.

13. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

A knife is the perfect tool to carry daily.
    Cut a package open, pry open a paint can,
    Cut some twine, save your life against a mass attack....etc
    I dont understand all of the resistance to the fact that a knife in the right hand is a very good self defense tool.
    As Uncle Vu says, put large magic marker in a kids hand and try to take it from them as they "attack" you with it. You will findout quickly that even a skinny twelve year old can become a dangerous person. The use of force is aslippery slope and you may go to prison for using a weapon, but i can get out of jail, you cant get out of hades after a group of animals opens up your head and you die.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Wrong, Pocket knifes arn't banned. For general use, Theres a 3 inch limit, as anything greater then 3 inches will almost definitely kill, and there is a locking knife ban, and there easier to stab with, so its perfectly fine to carry a pocket knife for general useage, just not one that is perfect for slashing or stabbing someone.

Search and stop in london regularity pick up teenagers (under 18 you cant buy a knife) with locking blades longer then 3 inches, so the law is working fine.

15. Dead_pool

really? do you really mean that?

16. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't own it, so I haven't really tested it out the way I have my Emerson's, but the one I handled seem to lock up well.

17. Count Duckula

A lock is a safety feature which prevents the blade from snapping shut on my fingers. The law against locks is like a law banning the use of seatbelts because seatbelts make it easier to drive into people without getting hurt.

Btw, the lock does not affect slashing because a slash is in the direction where the blade is already 'locked', simply by being open.

Except the law is also for locking blades under 3 inch. Your example has nothing to do with that case, because it mentions underage people (which is already against the law) and blades longer than 3", which was also against the law.

My beef is with the fact that under 3" blades cannot be locked either.

18. Dead_pool

So the lock doesn't affect fast slashing, but does affect slow controlled cuts?

Your clutching at straws now mate.

19. Count Duckula

Seriously? The only thing you do with a pocketknife is slow cuts? You never removed a staple from a peaper? removed a splinter? removed a couple of stitches from a garment? punctured a new hole in a leather belt? had to press once of those tiny 'reset' buttons that are embedded in some devices? There are dozens of normal things you do with a knife which involve using the point to lever something or push through something. And for that, the lock IS providing a significant protection.

Hardly clutching at straws I'd say.

The lock is something which evolved into a feature of non combat knives precisely because there are so many scenarios where a hinged general purpose tool might accidentally shut itself. If there had been no market pressure, from a majorily non-violent userbase, there would be no general purpose locking folders. The swiss army knives sold for cub scouts have a 2" blade that locks. Precisely because scouts do all kinds of things with that knife and they don't want kids with cuts to the bone.

Ooh look! It's a banned weapon. Clearly designed to kill people!

[​IMG]

Even the one with the blunted safety tip is locking. For safety purposes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  20. Dead_pool

If you need to lever, you use a small pry bar not a knife, otherwise said blade breaks.

You can Cary a lock knife, as long as you have a valid reason, on a fishing trip, or as a carpet fitter etc