Need a new everyday carry knife

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'm not sure that as the op you can claim ownership of the entire thread.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. Dead_pool

Not necessarily, it just means the steel is from Japan.

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

They were beyond the scope of MY thread. Cheers Mate.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I carry the SOG Trident without the NRA advertising and it was about 49.99.
    No issues, good ergonomics, easy to deploy compared to other folders.
    The clip is on the end, which is unusual. You'll want to train with it to adjust your habits if you're used to the normal clip placement. It's got a safety that won't allow it to open which has locked itself when handled from time to time, but never when worn. Check it before putting it on and you're good.

It's got a "seatbelt cutter" for mall-ninja cred, too.

I don't really believe in folders but clothing restrictions sometimes deny me the option to carry my usual.

5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

If the country name 'Japan' is stamped on the blade, you can safely assume the blade is either made in Japan or made from Japanese steel, depending on just how it is worded. Either way you can trust on it being good steel.

Japan produces high quality steel, but also buys Swedish steel for example. But if they buy foreign steel, it is still high quality stuff. Just because the blade itself says 'Japan' gives you no indication either way. However, they wouldn't ever use inferior steel, so in that regard it still is a measure of quality. Only if it says 'Japanese steel' can you infer that the steel was actually made in Japan.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

And I just have to echo what others have said: If you use an edged weapon in a fight, you must accept that the person may die. There is no reliably nonlethal target for an edged weapon, just like a firearm.
    The law in most places is written in accordance with this. Lethal force is lethal force.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

This thread made me chuckle a little bit. Very much an older gentlemen seeking advice on a purchase with his resolve already made up, and people trying to question him on it without him even entertaining it. :p

I've been to Baltimore one time. In that one time I came across people with teardrop tattoos (each tear supposedly reps. 1 person they've killed), an angry looking man with a swollen hand the size of a softball walking in the middle of the street, and a man with no pants smoking meth. Those were the noticeable people, but you didn't see too many people just walking around on the street either and if they were they were moving pretty quick!

Baltimore isn't known for being a sweet place to live. If I lived there I would probably carry a couple different knives and some mace at minimum and I would definitely have my firearm near my person in the home. My wife would certainly have a concealed carry permit to walk around as well! I think hardball is getting a little too much flak in this thread honestly. I'm sure he's well aware of the repercussions and needs for the kind of self-defense he needs to think about.

8. Dead_pool

I'd just move it was me, but then that's more expensive then a 100 dollar pacifier \ pig sticker.

9. Ero-Sennin

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The wife and I sacrifice quite a bit of things we could use/want that cost money in order to live in a safe area. That's not everybody's cup of tea though. If we hadn't had our furniture half bought as wedding gifts and half hand me downs, we would still just have two desks in our apartment. I just bought a juicer and that was a 'big' purchase, lol.

Not for everyone though, especially if you have ties to an area.

10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

All bs aside a 3 cent spork in a trained hand is better than a $50 knife in the hand of a novice user

11. Ero-Sennin

Personally I think I would feel safer walking around with a walking stick or even a broom stick. Distance is worth a lot in a conflict. :p

12. raaeoh

True. I cannot argue the point you just made. It is however easier to have a 3in folding knife than a cane for most of us in good health, here in the states.

That being said I can get a ccw so I would not need to carry a useless knife:)

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Tueller is laughing at you right now

14. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

My wife lived in Baltimore a few years before we were married, so I visited her a lot there. I was in bands that played/rehearsed there as well. Lots of places there are really nice, and charming. Seriously neat and quirky places. But some places you get hints where the nickname Bodymore Murderland comes from. I totally can get why someone would want to go armed there, and I wouldn't want to give Hardball or anyone else any hassle for it.

15. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

I don't think anyone who thinks a knife is useless knows who Tueller is.

16. Ero-Sennin

Knives ain't got nuffin on broom sticks! :woo:

If that's all directed at me, I don't believe knives are useless at all. I'm thinking in the context of where I live honestly, and it's not really necessary to have a blade or concealed carry in ol' Bethesda MD. Hell, a walking cane is probably too much.

17. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

Not at all Ero, you didn't say knives were useless. I think I'd rather have a 4' broomstick, or cane, than a knife too. There are tons of uses for a pocket knife, but defense is pretty far down the list for me.

18. Ero-Sennin

Ah, I thought Hannibal and yourself were poking fun at me for the broomstick comment (I'm sure Hannibal was at least : P)!

I don't go anywhere without a knife, but my normal carry around is a classic Swiss Army Pocket Knife I've had since I was a kid. I even still have the toothpick and tweezers. If I didn't live where I did I would carry my SOG around.

http://www.sogknives.com/tactical/knives/seal-pup-elite-black-tini-half-serrated.html

Edit: After being bewildered on why they changed the knifes name I broke mine out and looked at the site a little more. It is still in fact the "SEAL PUP"

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  19. raaeoh

my comment was aimed at ero for this post

Personally I think I would feel safer walking around with a walking stick or even a broom stick. Distance is worth a lot in a conflict.

I have not been without a knife or my hk in many yrs. i am willing to use either as needed. I cannot remember having a broom or stick with me at all times.

20. Ero-Sennin

Lol, I could tell your comment was at me, you quoted me! You're not going to see people walking around with broom sticks or walking sticks unless you're in the boonies (from what I've experienced anyways). People had stuff like that all the time where I grew up, but they also had a buck knife and skinning knife on em' too, with a shotgun hanging up on the back window of their truck.

Clearly a small blade is easier to keep on ones person for SD purposes. I don't think the smiley at the end of the post was enough to convey my "I know this isn't practical at all" feelings on the subject. :p