Need a new everyday carry knife

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 6, 2013.

1. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

A knife is up close and personal and is not something to be taken lightly, that is for sure.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

"Opening up" someone's arm is a superficial wound?

Now I'm not a doctor, nor have I trained in the military, but through my work I have seen wounds that require surgery which involves opening up the hand/arm and I wouldn't say those injuries are superficial.

3. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Well it is a superficial wound as opposed to cutting a throat or stabbing major organs.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

A folding knife can also be deployed closed akin to a yawara/dulo dulo/kubotan - it's not a prerequisite to slice with it, even though that is what it is best at

For me I practice deployment, movement and cutting/thrusting at targets. I also train for my blade to support my firearm. It's a last resort option, but it is an option

5. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

How about a sharpened flat head screwdriver?

I hear they are the weapon of choice for many a hoodie in the UK!

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You stick someone, there's a very good chance they will die, you slice someone, there's a very good chance they will bleed out, and they will grab you and fight you until they stop moving, if they don't, there was no need to use it in the first place.

Sounds like someone's idea of ego defence is actually weapons fetishification.

7. blindside

blindside Valued Member

In terms of training for deployment, my knife is carried in my right hand pocket in almost all cases. My knife is regularly used for utilitarian purposes, so I would guess that I access it at least 3 times a day for just randomn tasks. That would be under non-pressure situations. In training I use a similar folding trainer (not exactly identical, but very close), during my deployment. Our in-house sparring rules allow access to carry/hideaway knives anytime during a match. So that becomes our "deploy under stress" practice.

8. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Thanks for posting this link. I like what I see on their website; I like it a lot. Question: What do they mean by Japanese Steel?

9. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Yes, carried one for years.

You say you want to carry this knife for years, can you invest $15 a year in a knife?

10. Dead_pool

That would be steel from Japan -

11. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Which would be weird, because historically the steel from Japan was awful.

12. Dead_pool

Hit arteries and death is coming soon, hit ligaments or tendons and injury is lifelong,
    You don't get to slash anyone with a sharp blade and come out of it without causing major injuries to them, if your not willing to do that, then carrying a knife will just give your attacker another thing to steal from you.

13. Dead_pool

Its mostly marketing, although Japanese factories are generally better then Chinese ones in terms of quality.

14. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Didn't like the springs in the benchmade and the ones I do like are $200 us dollars.

15. hardball

hardball Valued Member

does it mean the knife is assembled/made in Japan?

16. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Don't know about the Japanese steel, but I have a Cold Steel folder and mine is extremely sturdy.

17. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Take a look at the SpyderCo Tenacious, it runs about $45.

18. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Not so. The raw steel nuggets called tamahagane is indeed awful stuff. But by the time the smith is done with it, it is very pure, high quality steel, with a carbon content that is ideal for use as an impact blade. Before the industrial revolution and modern steel production, Japanese steel was king of the hill with the exception of crucible steel.

In the modern context of pocket knives, the term Japanese steel is basically for marketing purposes. Many countries produce excellent steel. Sweden, Germany, Japan, USA, etc. The big reason for explicitly mentioning the provenance is to inform the buyer that it is not china steel or pakistani steel, which is usually -at least for consumer level stuff- pure crap.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  19. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Every Day Carry

I made my decision/purchase. Went with the cold steel half serrated folder with the spear point. It cost 99 but was on sale for 65. Thanks to all who participated in MY thread.

20. Dead_pool

Is the liner lock very strong, I've only got back locking spidies and Byrd's and there all really solid.