Need a little direction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MorbidAngel, Jul 6, 2001.

1. MorbidAngel

MorbidAngel New Member

Ok this is my first visit here and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions.

I'm quite interested in taking up some form of martial arts, I need something to keep me occupied, keep me fit and something that will motivate me.

The only martial arts I've ever done was Judo, and I didn't stick at it for long. So I was wondering which style would be good for a first timer that needs a challenge?

Thanx:D

2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Classes

This is a hard question to answer because it all comes down to personal preferences.

You will get many people telling you to try this style or that because it is the best but at the end of the day it has to be something you would enjoy.

So what I would suggest is you try out a few clubs and see which one gets you interested.

Cooler.

3. MorbidAngel

MorbidAngel New Member

Cheers muchly for the reply:cool:

Think I'll go check out what they have on offer at the local sports centre.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Naturally enough I'd suggest mine, but what type of thing are you looking for? If you didn't like Judo I'd recommend not going for another grappling art such as Jujitsu, but it all depends on what you're looking for. Just try everything you can find until one suits you.

5. harpo

harpo New Member

I'm in the same kind of situation. I enjoyed Judo to begin with but found it wasn't really for me in the end.

I am looking to get back into martial arts. I'm looking at styles like TKD and Muay Thai.

Only thing is that I have not been that active over the last 18 months or so and I am concerned that fitness might be a problem. Similarly, I am not a big person and wonder if that might be a problem in those kinds of styles.

Any ideas and suggestions would be happily received.

6. Cooler

Welcome to the boards harpo.

Firstly don't worry about your fitness level because when you join a new class they will not expect you to be fit, they will start you of slowly and over time your fitness level will increase again.

Secondly your size will not affect what style you do. Martial arts is not about size and all styles emphasis the point that a smaller person can take down a larger person as long as they know what they are doing. It is about technique, speed, timing, distancing and most of all heart.

Thirdly check the classes out take a lesson before you commit yourself to a certain style.

Lastly and most importantly enjoy what you are doing.

Cooler.

7. waya

waya Valued Member

I would agree with Cooler. The art has to be something that fits you as a whole. And something that makes your mind open and want to learn. I would also say to look closely at the instructors and how they treat their students. Make sure they are someone you can learn from and that will help you when you need it.

Rob/waya

8. Cooler

Hy Rob/waya and welcome to the boards hopefully we will hear more from you.

Joining a Martial Arts club should not be taken lightly as you could be spending a good part of your life studing under your instructor so choose well.

Cooler.

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Useful Link....?

Cooler as usual is absolutely right (flashing my eyelashes) :D

I don't whether anyone would find the following link of use, but it does seem reasonably thorough and if nothing else gets you thinking about what you really want of your chosen martial art:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/martialarts/martialarts.html

Melanie

10. ninjabumon

ninjabumon New Member

Might I recommend Bujinkan Taijutsu? Nothing against other Martila Arts. I have studied several martial arts and found Bujinkan in 1985. It is a very comprehensive art form. If you look on Warrior Information Network, perhaps you can find instruction in your area. Again, the choice is yours, totally.

Country Ninja,
    Tracy Crocker

11. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Hey MorbidAngel, Welcome!

I wish you luck in choosing an art to study.
    I really want to give you some valuable advice, but it is difficult without comparing styles.

If you want to learn some techniques for selfdefence quickly, then try Muay Thai (thai boxing) as these guys can really fight.

Or maybe a reputable Jujitsu class, for decent street selfdefence.
    OR Wing Chun, as it is fairly quick to learn, and very efficient.

If you want a good solid martial art then maybe look at karate, Goju ryu would be my recommended style.

If you want to study an art for many years and also get the opportunity to learn weapons, then head in the Chinese direction.
    Look for a genuine instructor, as there are many dodgy ones out there. Ask about lineage and history of the style.
    If delving into the spiritual & philosophical side is what you want then any of the internal arts (taijiquan, baguazhang, xingyiquan or Aikido) will take you in the right direction. Again check the history of the instructor, as many taichi classes teach no martial application what so ever!

Remembr though the quality of the instructor is as important as the style.

Ask on here about Lau Gar Kuen in your area.
    I'm not saying it's the best, but it is a fairly complete style, containing virtually every valid technique found in other styles.

Again good luck in your journey.

Colin............

12. Ozebob

Ozebob Valued Member

A lot depends on your age, interests and objective. I would suggest a traditional karate dojo with a teacher that has a lot of experience.

Traditional Karate covers all areas and the kata can kep you motivated for years to come. If you become interested in competition, self-defense, teaching or just plain working out you will find it is much better than what most have to offer..

Regards,
    Bob

PS Stay away from Kung Fu (splash :) )

13. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Okay here's my 2 cents

MorbidAngel,
    I did not hear that you were interested in defending yourself? Maybe that is a given but nothing more than something to think about. I find when searching things are not found, only when board hit's you in face do we realize where we should be. Good luck in your search, and I might say I'm glad you have chosen the greatest martial art forum in history!
    Sincerely,
    Vince

14. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

KUNG FU IS THE BEST

Never mind all those other styles, KUNG FU is the best!! :D

Kung Fu guys are generally more handsome than other Martial Artists

Kung Fu Guys have "good personalities"

Kung Fu guys are more "sensitive" than other MA

Overall, kung fu guys are just plain better!

What else do you want out of ,martial arts! Dont tell me you want to do MA to learn boring things like fighting or discipline? Thats for the birds ;)

Master Feiloong says........

No news is good news, Allot of news is even better news.

15. Ozebob

Ozebob Valued Member

Re: KUNG FU IS THE BEST

ANON

16. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

:cool:
    Ozebob,
    Nice to see other MA players also share my sense of fun and humor. Usually, these Karate (and Kung Fu) kids are all to serious.

Why not choose kung fu? Where else can a grown man parade with a silk night gown and not be frowned upon (even be concidered amongst the tough boys :) )

If nothing else, you Gotta just love our kung fu outfits. Those karate gis are nothing compared to our cooool satin gowns.

"The sheilas do the fighting in Kung Fu? "

I told my friend that all auzzies talk like that! He told me it was only in Croc Dundee movies where they speak about sheilas.

Nice meeting you Ozziebob

17. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Nah, pick a young, good looking Sifu with a nice car!

Karate is just 'scraps' leftover from Kung Fu systems that nobody wanted anyway!

Honest!:p

Andy

18. Feiloong

Feiloong New Member

Mr Murry is a guy som dear to my heart!

Well said sir! Couldn't have expressed myself better :)

:Angel:

19. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

(bottom lip trembling...)

S'not true...

"Karate is just 'scraps' leftover from Kung Fu systems that nobody wanted anyway!"

...well, not all of it anyway...;) Hahaha - funny guys!