Need a bit of advice from you guys.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Geordie Boy, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Hi Guys,

I need to get my hands working quicker, and my brain thinking a bit more.
    Anyone got any good pad drills i can work on. If you can make them more than basic....but don't go to advanced....still learning my way through .

Also, this may come across as stupid but whats the best way to use a punch bag. My instructor keeps saying, forget heavily pounding the bag. Stick to working on speed, and working on the bobing weaving etc. I never seem to get a good sweat on using the bag so im obviously using it wrong. Advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Geordie!

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

use the bag to develop your power punches and to strengthen your weak punches. the pads are best for speed and combo drills. to get your punches faster, get your b ody stronger and do more speed bag drills

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Geordie why aye!!,

as your talking about pad drills i assume you have a partner to train with. A good basic partner drill is to both glove up and exchange a shot one for one. Just pick one shot, eg the jab, you fire a jab out they defend and send one back.

Sounds simple? it is, once you gat your head around the basic defences you can practice them in a more alive way. After the drill becomes easy when you use regualr timing, play with the timing of the return shot. sometimes fire it straight after you defend sometime a second or 2. Then try slipping and countering at thesame time, you get used to countering as you hit and as you are hitting. Really sharpens up your reflexes.

Works just as well with the cross and both rear and lead hook. Other vriations are to fire the jab then one of the other shots only countering on the other shot.

In relation to bag work dont get caught up with banging, it serves little purpose , your instructor is right use it to practice the bob abd weave etc, also particularly you footwork, play with the angles so you can throw shots from anywhere.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  4. FISH

FISH New Member

Don't forget to stay loose when you punch if you're clenching/tightening your muscles before or while throwing a punch you will lose speed and power.Stay loose until right before and after impact.Don't forget to hit through your target on power punches :D I guarantee you will be quicker that way and will hit harder.Also if you're going to lift weights to gain strength for speed make sure you do at least 2-3 sets with light weights 10-12 reps and then don't go much heavier and do high reps say as much weight as you can do 16-20 reps with.Like for curls I do 10-12 reps with 15lbs. for warm ups then go to 20lbs and do 16-20 reps per set.Do this with any workout no matter what body part you are working and you will build long muscles instead of lifting heavy weight which build short slow muscles.Every couple weeks you can go for low reps heavier weight if you need to build a little bulk.You may not look huge but you will be strong and fast.

5. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Cheers Guys,

Things are getting better. Still tend to tense up a bit too much (going for power instead of speed) and i tire quite quickly, but there is definately an improvement. Also im only holding my breath sometimes now instead of everytime i punch, ha ha. Gotta rememeber to BREATH!!!