Neck cranks & heel hooks

Discussion in 'MMA' started by YODA, Feb 5, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Quick question:

Neck cranks & heel hooks - are they worth the risk?

How can/do you train them and at the same time minimise what CAN be a VERY nasty accident?

2. br00ster

br00ster New Member

ello Yoda,

Personally i think its a bit of common respect between the two participating in the training!!
    It should be up to the instructer to let everyone know how damaging these or any locks/holds are.
    When in training you should'nt be yanking on locks/subs with every ounce of your strength anyway.
    If you hurt somebody remember it could be there turn on you next!!!:mad:
    I think to "control" them would be the best way to "train" them.

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Standard, Dave. These are effective, dangerous moves that should only be practised by students with a great level of control (but you already know this...). Interesting to know if you would teach them at a seminar and what the insurance/legal requirements are.

Insurance costs and premiums are skyrocketing here in Oz.

Ace,
    the way you write your reply
    has a strange reflect in my eye
    it seems a poem
    but none I've known
    can read without a sigh

4. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I guess im a poet

Ace,
    the way you write your reply
    has a strange reflect in my eye
    it seems a poem
    but none I've known
    can read without a sigh [/B][/QUOTE]

What is it That U do not understand????
    Perhaps I can simplify it for u.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good thoughts guys.

Also good to see we have no "Just slam it on" macho head squezers here :D

Most of the times I tap out, especially to my students, is heel hooks. If they get the position - I tap! I love my knees!

6. SpongeBob

SpongeBob Valued Member

Well i know the mechanics of the heel hook, but don't use it in anyway in my sparring yet. Mainly becuase I haven't learnt yet how far is far enough and also my students are still very 'exciteable' and would probably turn and snap their own knee without me doing anything.

When our skill levels get higher, it will be something I'll introduce, after all, with heel hooks being so dangerous, I'd like to have them as an option in the street to finish the fight quickly. Though in most amature competitions heel hooks are illegal moves.

There are lots of other safer, but still practical moves for me to train at the moment.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Once you've reached a good level of skill anything can be practiced as long as, as everyones already pointed out, theres no macho bulls*** involved.

Colin