Navaja Sevillano

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by kenpfrenger, Mar 1, 2004.

1. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

2. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Did you train in Sevillian steel with James Loriega? Who's your navaja instructor? What do you think of his book?

3. kenpfrenger

Yes I did train with James Loriega....but since I don't live in NYC it was in a semi-private seminar setting. Good notes and correspondence with Mr Loriega have been a very good help in retaining what was taught.

His book is excellent! Not so much a how to manual ...it does show technique though....it gives alot of background info and history of the weapon and the people who used it.

4. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Can you describe what he went over in the seminar? How often is he in the west coast? Can you state some of the things that identify or are typical of the Sevillian methods?

5. kenpfrenger

Here is a link to his own class description he teaches. I learned all of the basic section from him.:
    http://artofcombat.org/public/thespis/Convention/spanishknifemaster.htm

I am not sure of his schedule. I assume he does make it out that way now and then. PM me and I will give you his email address and you can ask him.

Hard to describe in just words what makes this style different...in person it is obvious but I will give it a shot. One of the big differences is the way the cuts are done...rather than being very circular as one would expect for a slash, the motion is very linear and direct with great emphasis placed on the wrist motion in making a cut. This makes many of the attacks amazingly deceptive as to where they are actually going.

The thrust called a viaje is also very powerful and commited... alittle different than the fencing style some do or the light quick style I have seen done and done myself.

It is very much a duelling style but at the same time it is a killing style as well, much as the WWII combatives knife was used.