Nashville, Tenessee, United States!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Alexander, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Hello there,

I guess this is mostly for the Americans on the site - but anyone who has been to Nashville please chip in as well.

I'm hoping to get a summer job out in the US and am going through the application forms now. For a Brit going to the oppressive USA (I am counting anywhere I cannot get a drink due to age as oppressive :D ) is torture - but my pain may be eased - or possibly intensified :D - if I can find a decent martial art school in Nashville. The type of place I'd be ideally looking for is a Kyokushinkai Karate dojo but after sensei Google refused to enlighten me on this issue I have been a bit 'stumped'. So I'd like to ask the following questions (sorry the last two are a little irrelevent):

1)Does anyone know of a Kyokushinkai club in Nashville?
    2)Does anyone know of a decent MA club in Nashville?
    3)What size is Nashville. Is it a city?
    4)Was Mas Oyama a Korean?

Forgive my ignorance and thanks for reading!

Alexander

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Click on this link for area martial art schools in the Nashville area
    Nashville area martial art schools

You have quite a selection indeed of schools to choose from.
    Check here also in our Clubs section to see if any are posted.

Perhaps a MAP member from the Nashville area can help you out once you arrive!

How exciting for you to come here! Let us know if we can help yo out further!!

Find out more about Nashville here
    http://www.nashvillecvb.com/Visitors/

And yes Mas Oyama was born in S. Korea

3. Alexander

Wow! THANKS!!!!!

4. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

Alexander meet alexander

Hi
    Do a google search on George Alexander ( Yamazato Productions), He's in Tenn. but I don't know relationship to Nashville.

He is not Kyokushinkai (he's okinawan arts), but he's a good man & will help direct you if he's not close. Don't forget to tell him he owes Pete Ticali a commission on this transaction ( just kidding, but tell him anyway)

By the way, Yes Oyama was originally from Korea , he later moved to Japan
    I have copies of original photos of him when he vistied my instructors school in 1963. I was a 13yr old who had no idea "Who" he was back then, until my inmstructor took me to Madison Square Garden to see him kill the bull with a punch. Now they hang in my Dojo and most people have no idea who he is. I simply smile.

Pete Ticali

edited
    oops!, I didn't realize that Kickchick had already answered the Korea question. You have to be pretty quick to get past her!

5. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Nashville home of country music, the Grand Ole Opry, one of the biggest acquariums in the area, and grits with gravy and ham. I love Nashville. Let us know how your trip goes.

7. Alexander

Certainly will Kwajman! Selection process starts tomorrow! If all goes well I'll be a door to door salesman in the summer!

Boy will I need those martial arts...:D

Pete Ticali,

Cheers for the contact. If I get selected to go out then I'll definitely be in touch with him.

Thanks guys,
    Alexander

8. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Nashville's population for the metropolitan area is around 500,000. There are some good schools in the area, but mostly you are going to see wado ryu and TKD. Nashville is very spread out and more like a lot of smaller towns with a decent amount of space between them.

I own the Ernie Reyes' World Martial Arts in the suburb of Gallatin (NE of Nash) and am setting up the sattelite program in the suburb of Franklin(just south of Nash). We have a high level MMA cirriculum, but still blend it with trad. values/character development. We may be too remote of a location for you, though. Let me know what area you'll be in and what you want to get out of your training, and I'll try my best to steer you in the right direction.