Naginata/halberd?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cudgel, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Now Ive often heard the Naginata refered to as a Japanese Halberd
    Now in my expereince a halberd is axe thingy with a spear thingy on the top and a naginata is a curved blade thingy.
    More like a glaive than a halberd.

Thoughts on this are welcome.

2. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Yes, a Naginata is basically a glaive. People use halberd because it's a more generally understood term. Maybe a WMA person can help with the finer points of polearm definitions?

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

ummm pole arm definiotons?
    ROTFLMAO
    Well umm I would but I dont have pics to go along with my explainaionts so some else will have to do it.

BUt well I cant try I think
    well thers teh glaive which is just a large curved blade on the ends of stick
    he pollaxe whic could either be an axe head witha back spike spearpoint butt spike and rondels or the same but with a hammer face. often called a bec de corbin
    halbreds I think are jsut atype of pollaxe
    Bills and bill hooks are likea glaive I think but curving forwards usualy used for trimming trees
    BUt yeah there are multitude differnt types of polearms western adn eastern With varying names for teh same pole arm. just looking at the variations on Jappaneses pole arms makes my head hurt.

4. Omicron

Omicron is around.

I was briefly speaking with some WMA and SCA guys the other day about this, and they told me that a naginata and glaive are pretty much the same thing, as K_Coffin said. I'll ask them for more info the next time I see them.