Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

2021 Summary

I found out I can find my yearly training report in Polar Flow. I have been measuring most of my trainings in the past year, with very few exceptions. Despite the first months of the year staying at home during the harshest lockdown we've had so far, I was able to partake in plenty of online classes - both Taiji and Karate. And since September I've been training quite a lot, attending more classes than ever before. I didn't do much exercise apart from going to classes, though. I didn't ride my bike much, unlike last year, nor did I use my kettlebell much, which is a pity. Still, this year was the most productive training-wise so far. 600 hours, wow, who would have though?

It is also obvious from here that I was ill basically the whole June and only went to the few still ongoing online classes as I didn't want to meet people since I had fever at first, then only somewhat higher temperature and was coughing etc. When I did start exercising right after that (without well slowly easying in), I had gotten my highest maxHR of the year - 188 bpm, which was actually even during a Taiji class. I was obviously still recovering and my HR was going uselessly high during the several first classes. The second inactive period is now the couple of weeks in isolation, not training at all, so far. On the other hand, the week-long Taiji seminar in August is a clear winner when it comes to training time in a single week - 33 hours - with 10500 kcal burned during those training sessions.

I've been to several 2 or 4 day taiji seminars and one week long. Unfortunately, there were less Karate seminars then usual - the senior instructors weren't traveling, but I did participate in a few online seminars at least - two lasting a weekend, I think. I wasn't able to make it to the usual national weekend seminar due to my illness in June and also the usual Christmas seminar due to covid. I hope there will be more opportunities next year. I am itching to go to a face to face international event, again! There was none this year.

I generally wasn't doing very strenuous exercises. As the statistics show, I've not even spent a full hour altogether in the 5th HR zone. This would have been very different for the year when I was doing CrossFit (over 6 hours in 2018 now that I look back). I haven't covered mch distance in general, either. There were only a few bike rides and the rest is also only a very occassional walk. I haven't done many of those this year, either. Due to plenty of trainings, due to lockdown, due to Sett's foot surgery and inability to walk for a couple of moths.
    Anyway, it's still cool to see a yearly summary like this! So I'll just drop it here :) I wonder if I can do better next year....

upload_2021-12-28_17-6-29.png

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    axelb likes this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Very cool. I'll see if I can post mine. I've been impressed with the included statistics and analytics of the polar devices.

Nachi likes this.
  3. Nachi

The new year isn't starting that well. As expected, like always when I get some sort of cold, it transforms into unending cough and slightly higher temperature. I was kind of planning to start training slowly this week, but I don't dare with a cough after covid. I decided to call my GP, which in these cases I usually postpone. So this time I'll get some medication for the cough quite soon, but I will still have to stay isolaed for a few more days at least. Bah. Screw this.

I tried to do a first few moves of my Taiji form yesterday. Even in the first few moves, my knees immediately started hurting. So rest wasn't the answer :( And had already gotten so much better!

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Dang Nachi, I am sorry you are still ill. Hope it turns around soon!

Nachi likes this.
  5. Nachi

A few days on Codein just once a day didn't bring about that much of a change. But my cough isn't the dry irritating type anymore, so I guess it's getting better. I try a few taiji forms here and there and figured out the problem of my knees suddenly hurting quite a lot would be a more systemic one. I found out my legs and tiny muscles hurt unusually lot for this type of activity when barely doing anything. Looks like it's still my muscles and joints hurting from covid. I knew my back and muscles around my shoulders were still hurting, but I wasn't sure if it was just a symptom or due to three weeks sitting on my butt...It seems to be the former.

I called my GP today as asked, she said I shouldn't be surprised, muscle aches will go away slowly, she said. The good new is she is ending my isolation tommorrow, after nearly three weeks :) She said next week I can go training (well among people) even if my cough isn't 100% cured. I shouldn't be infectitious anymore. Yay! :) I guess I'll still stay at least mostly home in the weekend as I have nothing planned (though I might go out for a walk) and will start to gradually ease back into my training regime :) I can't wait. But I am also quite worried about how my fitness levels dropped and about how my knees will hurt etc. Still, I'm happy! The Taiji sword classes are starting next week, too, so I won't miss out on that :)

6. axelb

I'm glad to read there is some progress.
    It sounds a lot like the recovery most of my friends and family had after covid. It may take a few weeks to get back 100% this isn't down to inactivity, just how the virus affects you.
    Your fitness will come back quickly once it's passed.

All the covid symptoms and recovery sounds much like the pneumonia and chronic bronchitis I used to regularly get.
    I also did qigong breathing postures and not so much taichi as I would find it same.
    Listen to your body and don't push too much.

A few weeks recovery is nothing when comparing to long term goals :)

Nachi likes this.
  7. Nachi

Thank you, knowing that it's how it went for other people is reassuring :) It's just that I know a muscle ache and such is a symptom even for a flu, but I probably never had it (or as far as I remember), so I thought this would be related to fever and didn't expect it to last long.

Yep, I will listen. I might still skip karate next week and start easy with Taiji. I'll see.
    I am aware a few weeks is nothing, it is just that lately I really did get used to exercising regularly and don't know when was the last time I spent a few weeks doing literally nothing like this (while not feeling all that bad). So I am really looking forward to going back to training and I wish I could just start wehre I left off :D
    But at the same time, of course, I am grateful I can just grumble about tiny issues. Many people had more trouble with covid and of course, my trouble are very miniscule. It's just me being in a good mood I can finally leave isolation :)

axelb likes this.
  8. Nachi

Finally out! :)
    I am not perfectly healthy, yet, but despite the cough, my GP said I can end the isolation as I shouldn't be infectitious anymore.
    On Saturday I went out for a walk with Sett. The walk wasn't a long one, only 2,5 km in the end through a forest and a bit up the hill. I could feel my legs aching a bit, knees hurting, my back hurt when we returned, but I enjoyed myself :)

Sunday 9.1.
    Also we get eggs from a community garden that has like 150 hens, the I think majority of which are saved hens from the factory farming. They offer "adoptions" of hens or other animals they have, which means that for a monthly fee we can pick up 20 eggs each month. It is really nice. It's 20 mins drive from our place and today we went earlier - first for a late lunch to a restaurant and also to go for another walk to a nearby forest. We walked 5 km today, feeling better than yesterday, legs didn't hurt, only knees. Our pace wasn't a fast one - on average 4 km/h, but that was due to the first part being through a forest path that was very muddy and hard to walk on. My average HR was 112 bpm, which is surprisingly low (I tend to get around 120 when walking and I expected it to be more when I am in recovery now), and max HR 131 bpm. 487 kcal burned. I am enjoying myself, going outside etc. :)

I can't wait to go for trainings this week. I will skip tommorrow's karate still, and will start with Taiji - that is easier to take easy. I hope I can get back into everything soon :)

Simon and aaradia like this.
  9. Nachi

Tuesday 11.1.

First post-covid training day!
    For a summary, I am still not back to perfect health, yet. While my covid was fairly mild, I basically still have all the symptoms, but mostly milder and I feel pretty good. I still have cough, I still have temperaturu - yesterday 37,1°C, back and muscles still hurt slightly. And I am worried knees would give me trouble. Sense of smell is coming back slowly. I can now smell strong odors, at least for a while, but it is not completely back yet.
    I didn't get much sleep on top of it. I couldn't fall asleep for 2 hours and had to get up earlier than I do lately, so I only got 4 h of sleep. But I was well rested generally, so I wasn't tired.

I originally planned to go for Taiji kung-fu followed by the first class of Taiji sword in the afternoon, but in the end I couldn't resist the morning class. It's the best opportunity to review the whole form there, so I decided to go and take it easy, do higher stances, etc. Well, that was the plan, at least.

Morning Taiji
    We started with a meditation, then our advanced group split and instead of silk reeling went right for the form. Luckily I didn't forget it, only messed up a small motion here and there. I was able to keep my back vertiacal quite well, too, I tried focusing on keeping it straight. I naturally slid into my usual, relatively low stanced. I could feel my knees protesting (I did wear elastic braces on both of them, expecting this problem) and my legs being a bit wobbly, but it went relatively well. Toward the end, though, I was quite tired already. Well, I mean muscles were, not like complete exhaustion. We then worked on some movements. Not to a great detail, but the teacher corrected some more general mistakes and review the end of the form with us. As soon as I stopped moving, as usual, my knees got stiff so getting in any kind of stance right away then, hurt. I tried to hold back my cough, but it didn't go so well. I was getting more and more tired, but did my best not to show it. Especially some stances and kicks we did were hard for keeping balance.
    I was not very happy when the teacher said this class is great that we can practice the form as a whole and we should take the chance to do it once more. Dang. I knew this was gonna be a problem. As soon as I got myself even in the beginning stance, my legs started shaking hard, and with that my whole body. I felt wobbly in some transitions and it didn't feel well at all, but I decided to do my best to ignore it and focus on keeping my back straight, the stance as good as postible and the form as smooth as I could manage. It was hard, though. I am not sure if it is only my legs losing stranght in the three weeks of doing nothing, but I am more inclined to think it is related to me still not being back to health completely. For this form, though, the teacher did is with us and stiid right in front of me, so I didn't focus much on which move comes next, etc. and was just copying his pace and movements, roughly.

I didn't feel like I lost much flexibility, kicks went well, but when I tried the flying kick, jumping only half heartedly, my knees and legs told me it was a mistake, so I just walked through it in the second form.
    When the class ended the teacher approached me to have a word, smiling: "So you're back! You're still coughing, though?" I explained, yeah, I am not really heatlhy, yet, but I shouldn't be infectious anymore. Also this happens like everytime I get a cold. It's like I rarely get fever and if so, it only lasts like a day or two at most (unless I ignore it and train etc.), but then I would have a slightly higher temperature and cough for way too long. The teacher asked if I was coming in the afternoon. I said yes, but unsure if for 2 out of my usual 3 trainings, or only one, the sword. I was planning two, but considering how this one went, it may not be the best idea. The teacher told me not to push it and only come for the sword, the training before isn't that important. I think I will do that. I am looking forward to the sword classes and I don't want to wear myself out right before it.

I kept my knee braces on for the way home. Just walking down the stairs was a pain (the school is in third floor of an old building with high floors). Knees hurting and when I wanted to put my weight on the lower stair, the muscles would just try to switch off... Ah. And the knees were getting really better lately! Now it feels like I am back to square one :( It would be great if it got better as my general health gets better, but who knows. I am trying not to be too optimistic

I measured the training as usual, and it is obvious I was handling it much worse than usual.
    For comparison, this is the same class from December (the time is a bit longr as I started earlier and practiced the spear form for a bit):
    Time: 1:21
    Max HR: 146
    Average HR: 111
    Min HR: 76
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 460
    Fat burn: 60%
    Cardio load: Low: 63

This is today's class:

Time: 1:06
    Max HR: 184
    Average HR: 147
    Min HR: 99
    Training benefit: Tempo & Maximum training
    Kcal: 623
    Fat burn: 32%
    Cardio load: High: 133

I haven't got maximim training for a while now... and not mentioning it was Taiji where I omitted all the fajins, so there were basically no fast motions except for the few kicks.
    I spent 9 mins in the 5th heart rate zone. That's... a lot. It was basically the majority of the second form. The thing was I didn't even realize it. I wasn't breathing hard or anything. I was actually trying to breath through my now only. I think I had to open my mouth here and there for a bit, but that was it. That is something I usually want to do.
    I hope I'll be able to get back to more normal data, soon.
    But trying the first class and seeing all this. I think I'll do the sword class today, it shouldn't be too difficult as it will be the introductory class. I will also push through the class where I'll be heling as an instructor tommorrow and I think that's it. I don't think I'll go to Taiji nor karate on Thursday. I should really take it slow.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  10. Nachi

Tuesday 11.1.

Taiji sword - first class
    The morning class took a toll on me. My knees hurt quite badly and I was worn-out, felt ill. I still wanted to make it to the sword class, though. I thought we'll just hear the theory and will most likely practice something like, or the silk reeling with sword while standing on a spot in a high stance. It was pretty much what happened, except that the class started with: "So we'll do the whole 108 form for a warm-up." Aaaah, no way. I only know Lao Jia Yi Lu - which is the first part - 72 moves out of those 108. It was a real struggle. My knees hurt a lot that I had trouble going even up the stairs, which isn't a norm for me. Any stance was a pain. It eased up a little after a while, but only a little. My legs kept shaking from time to time and from them, my whole body. Sometimes comething like "popped" inside one of the knees, which sent a small jolt through me. Other time either the knee or some muscle gave out and I lost balance. I had trouble pulling one leg to the other where I had weight, and sometimes the there was a sudden sharp pain in the knee that made me flinch. Ah, there was no flow in this at all.
    In the five minutes after that the teacher wanted to pick one move to practice for a bit - he chose White Crane Spreads wngs. It is two steps 45° to the back. Forst step with left foot, then put weight in there, pull right foot toward the left and step with the right ot the back without putting it down. Plus synchronize arms with legs. No matter what, I couldn't do it. Pulling my right foot to the left was impossible. It hurt or something gave out, popped or whatever, so I struggled or just gave up in the middle. I was able to do it for the last couple of tries, but very slowly and very robot like, with tiny stps several times. I was happy when we finally took the sword. The teacher introduced the weapons, the parts that we can strike an opponent with and we learned three types of silk reeling of sorts - circling the sword around the body in the shape of curved "8". First was like a cut, a slice, second was stabbing motion. Then there was a cut downwards and lastly a cut upward towards an opponent's chin. It was nice and all done in the basic high stance. My knees hurt even there, but again, after a while they got much better so I didn't have much trouble.

I feel exhausted now. Really tired. On the other hand, after the morning class and well into the afternoon I could feel my heart beating fast and strong at times and this got better after the sword class. Also I think walking back home was easier than walking to the sword class, which is probably the only positive thing about my state now I can say.
    I will only go to tommorrow's class where I should be helping and that will be it. I will, however, at least try to get some practice at home - mostly the exercises we learned with the sword. Those are easy for the legs so far and I should get some practice in till the next class.

11. Nachi

Wednesday 12.1.

So my knees got a bit better overnight, to the normal state like before yesterday's training, I'd say. Back hurt only a little - which is now a standard, so it didn't hurt from training. That couldn't be said of my thighs, though. Before covid, I think I had them conditioned pretty well, they haven't really been sore no matter how much I was training. They were very sore today, though. As long as it is sore muscles, though, that's a welcomed pain. Much better than knees! Also my left shoulder was sore just from carrying my gym bag. Surprisingly, though, I expected to feel my right shoulder that got to work with the sword, but it didn't hurt at all. My body is getting harder and harder to understand...

Taiji - instructing
    I dragged myself up the stairs to the gym. This week, a new paralel beginner classes is starting and I wasn't sure which group I'll be asked to work with. I expected not to be put in the introduction class of the beginners - at least not to explain the theory, maybe a brief history, etc.
    At first, I was asked to do wuji meditation, silk reeling and a couple of forms with the "old" group, which I always do. I felt my legs even in the wuji stance, but it was getting better. I payed special attention to do a relatively higher stance for the silk reeling, but found it hard to maintain, as I am used to "sink my body down in that posture, which in turn would force ma to make a lower stance. I adjusted a few times, but ended up being among if not the lowest in the group anyway. Although I haven't done any silk reeling for quite a while, right from the beginning it went pretty well, it flowed very nicely and naturally, my fingers were comfortably tingling. Only my hips were a bit stiff and I had a hard time doing the circling motion. It will take a bit longer, but nevermind.
    When we went onto the form - the first 20 moves, I started very carefully as yesterday at least every other step really hurt my knees. To my great surprise, my knees didn't hurt at all today! Well, they already loosened in the silk reeling and were completely fine. So I was able to practice like always. I didn't push any fajins and just let the form flow as much as I could, getting comfortable. Yesss!
    Half an hour passes and the teacher called me over to the group of beginners. He explained a bit more about wuji and the natural and reverse abdominal breathing. He left them to me then and we worked on the right posture, breathinga nd calmin down, etc. Later we started a bit with the silk reeling - one handed and toward the end also two of the two handed versions. From what the teacher said I was supposed to just let them practice and try, with stuff being explained after. I understood that I needn't explain, probably, but I thought at least a few of the basics should be explained. So I explained the stance briefly and the very basic idea. After a while I always added a piece of info, starting from teh most important stuff. At teh end we practiced this for a while without break, and my legs started shaking again. I tried to fight it, but it was useless so I let them shake as I couldn't do much about it, anyway. The people might be tired, too, but it was just about the end of the class anyway.
    I'd say it went well, I hope the people enjoyed it. The basics might be a bit boring for some, but I think they got just about enough info to make them interested and not too much to be overwhelmed. Well, at least that's my guess :D

My HR was already fairly normal, unline yesterday morning. My legs and knees loosened up a bit and I was even able to walk down the three flights of stairs without leaning on the railing. I did walk carefully, but it still was better than before! It had me start thinking a little about tommorrow's Taiji training, but... No, I mustn't give in to temptation!
    When I got home, my sore thighs hurt a bit more and I got a few coughing fits, which tired me out. No, no, rest it is for the rest of the week! I plan to practice the basics with the sword or go for a walk, but that's it. Nothing harder.

aaradia likes this.
  12. Nachi

Thursday + Friday

Pretty much rest days, feeling all the same. On Thursday, my cough got worse again, maybe because of the trainings. Friday seems a bit better so far. My legs are still sore, but less.
    The only thing I did both days was a bit of solo practice with the sword. About 20 mins each day. We haven't learned that much, but I want to figure out the technique of what we did. Furthermore, the sword is a really beautiful weapon (though of course, I only have a dull practice sword), but it feels so nice to practice with it :) I've held a katana or a dummy sword on a very few occassions before, but never really tried much with it, so it's new to me. I really enjoy it. It kind of feels more natural as a weapon than let's say,the spear. I am looking forward to learning more and improving in it! :) Furthermore the basic Taiji form is very satisfying to practice and I imagine the sword will be no less so.

axelb likes this.
  13. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Sword is a very interesting weapon, and it rather captures the imagination. If you get a chance to learn spear, don’t turn your nose up at it. Spear is amazing, in Chinese martial arts it is often called the King of Weapons because it is so effective and can be learned more quickly than some others like sword. I used to be less interested in it than sword, but once I got some quality instruction in spear it has kind of become my favorite weapon, very powerful and effective.

be careful with your health!

Nachi likes this.
  14. Nachi

No, no, I am not turning my nose up at it at all! Actually I am learning the spear! It's the only weapon in Taiji I've learned so far, learning it bit by bit on seminars. I know most of the form now and I really enjoy practicing it. Also when I saw a demonstration by an instructor in our school who specializes on it, it is super awesome! Probably even "cooler" than the sword form when done well. It is just that comparing to when I held the spear and tried learning the basic motions for the first time, I found it harder than the sword. Well, not that I can do really anything with the sword, it's just that it feels like it's more natural. I have a LOT to improve when it comes to spear, too, and I am not practicing it all that much. It just feels like I may grasp the sword better :) Also since there's a class for the sword spcifically, we'll probably learn it more in detail.

Thanks, I will :)

Flying Crane likes this.
  15. Flying Crane

I did not learn taiji spear so I cannot comment on it. One thing is sure: spear requires more space, and that can limit how much you can practice. So there are some practical considerations. At any rate, weaponry can enrich your training quite a bit.

16. Nachi

My teacher said that the Taiji spear is quite similar to any kung-fu spear forms. Although it is probably done slowly more often, it should have similar techniques. I heard that it is a relatively "average" spear form compared to more complicated ones etc. in shaolin for example.
    The teacher said that compared to that, the sword form is a highly regarded one. It doesn't really make much difference to me, though. Or rather, I can't really appreciate it. Not now anyways.

It definitely needs a lot of space. I got a spear for myself to practice at home - well, in the yard, obviously - but I am just too embarassed to do so :D It feels awkward as many people could see me from the road and from the windows and I feel kind of weird swirling a spear around sloppily, so I don't actually practice at home at all XD

This is a video of the spear form I'm learning - Pear Blosson Spear/White Ape Staff form (in case it is of interest, if not, feel free to skip it). It's a demonstration by aforementioned instructor from several years ago.

aaradia, Flying Crane and axelb like this.
  17. axelb

I didn't realize they had spear in taiji forms also. I had learnt a wushu spear form in my kungfu days, I can see the comparisons in movements, definitely a fun one to practise with.

Nachi and aaradia like this.
  18. Flying Crane

I would consider that to be a rather complex set. More so than the one that I practice. That is a lot of work for that one. Thanks for showing it!

Nachi and aaradia like this.
  19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I love that you posted one of the forms you are learning. Please do that more if you would! It gives a frame of reference for when you talk about what you are doing. Is there a video of the sword form you are learning?

That is a rather complex spear form. I would agree with Flying Crane. It is Tai Chi Spear, right? I ask because it looks a bit fast to me, but I know Chen does that more than other styles. I will post the Tai Chi spear form I know on my workout log. (So as not to junk up your log.)

Maybe I missed it, but when you talk Tai Chi Sword, you mean the Gim or Jian, right? I love both the spear and the Gim!

Seems like you are recovering, I am so glad to hear that! Sorry it is taking so long though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Nachi likes this.
  20. Nachi

I didn't know you had also learned a spear form. Do you still practice it from time to time?

I see. I don't have much knowledge about other spear forms, so I can't tell. It is a lot of work, at least for me, that is.

Alright, I will :) I didn't want to spam with videos, but I will try, that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Yes, it is Taiji spear. I think it doesn't necessarily need to be practiced fast and have seen videos of masters who've done it both slower and faster than here. When I first saw it, I would never have guessed it is a Taiji spear, either :D But I didn't have much knowledge about Taiji, so to me it was just Taiji = slow.

Oh, I am curious about the video, I'll go take a look. No need to worry about dropping any videos here, I certainly don't mind and at least it would be a nice comparison.

Yes. Taiji Jian. Is there a difference between Gim and Jian? (google doesn't show much).

Recovering...well, I am, but at snail's pace honestly. I wish to be done with it already. I am suspecting this may already be the so-called post covid syndrome. I am just going to buy some cough medicine and eat heathly stuff to wage war against it! :D There's probably not much alse to do and I am already fairly annoyed :)

So I tried looking for a video of the sword form, but I couldn't find a demonstration from anyone from our school. But I did fine a video of master Zhu Tiancai, our teacher's sifu, so this should be it:

Flying Crane and aaradia like this.