Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Tuesday 2.2.

Morning practice
    Today I went through Lao Jia Yi Lu about 4 times (up to the 22nd form), then did some stretchign again and Tensho kata once.

Time: 0:33
    Max HR: 127
    Average HR: 105
    Training benefit: Recovery training
    Kcal: 171
    Fat burn: 53%

Online karate

We forgot that today's training was conditioning for both adults and kids and started 30 min earlier. Therefore we arrived about 25 mins later... and joined the conditioning - tabata type of exercises for maybe 20 mins since we joined. In the last half an hour we practiced Saifa and its bunkai.

Time: 1:13
    Max HR: 162
    Average HR: 122
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 489
    Fat burn: 39%

2. Nachi

Wednesday 3.2.

I was picking my car from the service, didn't do any morning exercise.

Online karate
    We did various kihon kombinations and drills as a part of a warm-up, then worked on Gekisai Dai Ichi kata, the first half as well as the three bunkai from that part.

Time: 1:05
    Max HR: 155
    Average HR: 111
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 349
    Fat burn: 45%

Online Taiji
    Today we continued learning the 22nd form. Didn't finish yet, as this form is a bit longer. The teacher had to think for a while how to explain this as this is probably slightly more complicated and he said he certainly had never taught this on a camera before and hopes we'll be able to get it. He explained well, though, and from various angles, so I think apart from some details that would need more clarification next time, I got it fairly well. Again, I got some corrections and tips on this form in particular and on my whole movement patterns in general. Which is like third one correcting my movement patterns or maybe tips on what to improve this week. It is not easy to keep everything in mind and try to do it throughout the whole form...
    Also this is the last form that we have to learn to finish the next part of Lao Jia Yi Lu - the 25 forms (there are three that have appeared before, so there should not be too much learning). Like the 15 forms before, this is a spot where we should probably stop for a while and work on the forms we've learned so far before learning any new ones. There should be quite a few kicks after that. I do not think they would be too easy, but I am looking forward to learning them anyway :)

Time: 0:47
    Max HR: 129
    Average HR: 104
    Kcal: 208
    Fat burn: 51%

3. Nachi

Thursday 4.2.

Morning practice

Went through the Taiji form 4x, stretched thoroughly and did 1 Tensho

Time: 0:40
    Max HR: 132
    Average HR: 102
    Kcal: 192
    Fat burn: 52%

Due to my morning training and cooking lunch, I was late with my work -> missed training (it started even earlier than usual today)

Online Qi Gong
    But I at least got to meditate in the online class later.

Travess likes this.
  4. Nachi

Friday 5.2.

Morning practice
    Same as yesterday, stretching for splits

Time: 0:41
    Max HR: 128
    Average HR: 104
    Kcal: 206

Originally I planned a kettlebell training today, but finished work too late.

axelb and Travess like this.
  5. Nachi

Saturday 6.2.

Morning practice
    Mostly Taiji today again. I find Taiji perfect for doing something in the morning before breakfast. I would have a much harder time pushing myself into practicing karate properly. It just is too fast and needs more energy compared to Taiji when I start with high stances and even when I don't feel completely awake yet, I find it easy to start a session and as I start I slowly get ot the point where I do want to practice low stances and such. As it is weekend today, I had more time. Therefore I did a thorough stretching of the legs and Lao Tia Yi Lu maybe 6x focusing on various things. Also one Tensho.

Time: 1:13
    Max HR: 144 (in the last form when practicing the stances as low as I could)
    Average HR: 103
    Kcal: 345
    Fat burn: 50%

It is a lazy day today. It is unlikely I'll be going on my bike this weekend (after quite some time) as the weather isn't very nice at all. If at least it wasn't raining...
    Very lazy day, did some stuff at the computer and didn'T find energy for kettlebell in the evening, either...

axelb likes this.
  6. Nachi

Sunday 7.2.

Morning practice

A bit more relaxed generally today. Lao Jia Yi Lu about 4 times and more relaxed stretching.

Time: 0:41
    Max HR: 117
    Average HR: 98
    Kcal: 175
    Fat burn: 58%

Kettlebell work-out

I did not have much time to spare today in the afternoon, but I really wanted to do some kettlebell work-out. When I felt like I might have the energy after all, I went for it. In the end, I also found a pak of resistance bands I got a couple of years ago, but haven't used much, and used them today also. In the end, my work-out lasted a full hour...

Time: 1:01
    Average HR: 128
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training
    Kcal: 452
    Fat burn: 35%

Online Taiji - instructors

There were only a few of us today - the teacher and three of us, one of which did not have a camera. Later, a fourth person joined in. The teacher started the class with telling us, mostly me, what to improve on even before we got the chance to demonstrate anything. When we did, he did not change his opinion, though XD But added some things... Then he wanted us to practice and to learn the flow of all the motions in and between the forms, how to work with the energy there, etc. Which is great, as I mentioned, I'd like to learn that, although I do not find it too easy. However, the teacher decided we can learn that by doing Fajins in the forms. I realy just can't do them... so I knew it won't go too well and was nervous with the teacher sitting in front of the screen and watching the two of us. Well, his expression was at times frowned and at times looked like he was almost about to laugh, which did not help my self esteem at all :D He was thinking for a bit before he told me my fajins still needed some work. Lol. But he did his best to explain to me how to work on them, how to do them in general etc., which was great. A lot of those things I did not know, so of course, I could not do them well. That doesn't mean I realised how to do them, though. I'll have to practice. Starting tommorrow morning. Actually the teacher had us go through the first five forms, one at a time, and showed is where to do a fajin in each one so that we (well, mostly I) can practice the fajins in the form and build up the momentum for them, which would ensure the right flow of the motions, which was the point in the first place.
    Ugh, I'll really have to learn them. I don't want to feel nervous every time we are supposed to try with the teacher watching :D

Time: 0:57
    Max HR: 124
    Average HR: 102
    Kcal: 175
    Fat burn: 54%

7. Nachi

Monday 8.2.

Afternoon walk

Overslept slightly and omitted the morning training today in favour of an afrernoon walk to the forest. It snowed a lot and I wanted to enjoy the snowy forest :) There was about 12 cm of snow. It has been quite some time since Prague has seen that much! The walk took about an hour.

Online karate
    Basic techniques, stances, sliding into stances and slightly altered bunkai.
    No HR recorded, my chest strap's battery was too low.

Online Taiji
    This group should have worked on the 8th form today, but we again got stuck with the 6th and 7th. Not that I mind, that is not the case at all! I got a couple of corrections again. One is simple - I tend to put my hand in a wrong position, the other is more general about the mechanics of the motion. When I am starting to figure out how to move the hips, I am starting to get more corrections for the knees. One would almost think that if I wanted to move the hips a certain way, the knees would have to move a bit that way, too. You know, physics! But I guess one would be wrong...
    And I got another correction in a completely different form, too. One that I thought was supposed to be done the way I do it and was happy I am already ablet o do that motion - transition of weight in a different direction that way, only to be told it is not exactly the correct way of doing that at all. So I got tips on how to practice in my solo practice.

No HR recorded, my chest strap's battery was too low. And my Polar watch's as well...

8. Nachi

Tuesday 9.2.

Morning training
    Lao Jia Yi Lu a few times, focusing on improving what I've been told to improve. Some stretching. Tried to work on the fajins. Although I was told before they might be similar to kime in karate, I still think there is sure to be soem difference and to me they do look a bit different, but from the last explanations, some of my ideas were srong and I figured out it indeed might be best to treat them as kime. I didn't want to really make my taiji look karate-like, but.... Still, for the fajin in the second form this didn't work too well. Not sure how to do a fajin there...

Time: 0:43
    Max HR: 125
    Average HR: 105
    Kcal: 226

Online karate
    We did some kihon today, fast combinations at times and half the class was spent practicing Seiyunchin kata. Nice training again.

Time: 1:08
    Max HR: 177
    Average HR: 128
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 498
    Fat burn: 35%

9. Nachi

Wednesday 10.2.

Morning training

I felt ok, but when I started practicing, right away, even when moving slowly, I got hot and sweaty and when I bent ot pick something, my head was spinning and I generally felt like I was a little ill. But just because of this, otherwise I was healthy as ever. Got paranoid , though, immediately thinking of covid :D And since I didn't feel too great exercising, I cut my practice short. Just the Taiji form a few times.

Time: 0:20
    Max HR: 123
    Average HR: 107
    Kcal: 115
    Fat burn: 50%

I was feeling ok the whole day, though, so nothing was stopping me from training in the evening. I didn't feel strange anymore.

Online karate
    We mostly contined with Gekisai Dai Ichi kata from where we finished last week.

Time: 1:03
    Average HR: 110
    Training benefit: Basictraining
    Kcal: 335
    Fat burn: 44%

Online Taiji

My group today. We finished the 22nd form - well, the teacher showed us all the moves of the form. Not sure about breathing and many details yet. Yet again, I got another thing to practice - a principal across the forms. Why does it feel like I get 1-3 major things like this to focus on every single class? It is becoming hard to focus on everything. And it really forces me to practice at home. Otherwise it would be impossible to improve those things. Today, the teacher said it was just something for me to think about and try to work on to better my forms.
    Also, I swear that almost every time I mess even a tiny movement up, the teacher would just know. Even when watching around 10 people at the same time, he'd just notice any fluke and would make me go over that part again. I am getting rather nervous every time he watches the screen. Feels a bit like being x-rayed :D

Time: 0:54
    Max HR: 121
    Average HR: 101
    Kcal: 220

axelb likes this.
  10. Nachi

Thursday 11.2.

Morning training
    The Taiji form a few times, stretching, Tensho

Didn't make it to online karate, only did Online QI Gong today, where I arrived a bit late even.

11. Nachi

Friday 12.2.

Morning training
    Only 4x Lao Jia Yi Lu

A 6 km walk in the afternoon

12. Nachi

Saturday 13.2.
    Morning training
    4x Lao Jia Yi Lu and stretching.

We were planning to go crosscountry skiing today with my dad, since there is still snow. However, in the morning, my dad decided the snow wasn't good enough anymore and that would be not good enough for skiing (in Prague). I also mentioned ice skating, since we've had a week of freezing nonstop, but likewise, my dad didn't think there would be a good enough ice.
    Therefore, together with my mum and Sett we at least went for a 7 km walk just after lunch - along Vltava at the southern end of Prague. Well, not so surprisingl,y I'd say, the cycling and walking trail was quite packed with people and people skiing on a skiing trail just at the side of the road.... My dad said something like we should have gone skiing .... or, well, we'll at least go tommorrow. When we drove back, we drove past our favourite dead end part of the river which has been frozen (this happens not every year) and people were skating there. My dad went: "Oh, wow, look, people are actually skating! We should have gone, too! How about tommorrow?"

So we made plans for both skiing and skating tommorrow...

Online seminar on Gekisai dai Ichi kate with sensei Nakamura
    Sensei Nakamura - IOGKF's world chief instructor held an online seminar on the first kata. Sett and I had decided to participate. Maybe as the only two from out country - not sure 100%, but we didn't see anyone when checking the participants at the beginning.
    The first 30 or 45 mins were spent with theory, sensei giving a lecture on the kata's origin and then a presentation with brief explanation of all the steps and techniques in the kata. I was trying to write everything down. Most of the seminar then we practiced the kata with sensei explaining and watching. We learned some new things about the kata, two "details" about the two age uke in the kata that sensei said were important to do for the senior grades. And we did spend some time working on those as well.
    At the end we practiced the bunkai in various ways, half the time as fast as we can all of them chained together with changing directions etc. which was hard to do for me - like imagining the imaginary attacker attacking with their right after turning 180° etc. I do struggle with left and right. Also the fact that the seminar ws stremed in the afternoon in canada and by now here we had 10 pm didn't help me with my focus, either.
    Towards the end, with the bunkai and a few more technique practice, we got ourselves rathter warmed up :) The seminar went from 8 pm to 10:30 pm.

Time: 2:27
    Max HR: 176
    Average HR: 99 (including nearly an hour of explanations etc.)
    Kcal: 622
    Fat burn: 47%

13. Nachi

Sunday 14.2

Morning quick training
    Only did 2 forms toay - the "training" took 6 mins. But I wanted to do something at least to keep my habit.

Crosscountry skiing
    As previously agreed with my parents. My mum decided not to go in the end, so it was just me and dad. We drove to the place we went for a walk yesterday and put on our skis. It took me a while to figure out the motion as I think it's been two years since I last tried. My dad was faster than me, but he waited. We turned at a place the trail was joining the road where cars were going and went back the same way, which made for some 15 km. It was a beautiful day with clear sky, although cold. When I left my home it was -13°C, but the temperature soon got lose to 0°C. And the sun warmed us up even more.
    The only thing I wasn't particularly happy about was my right hamstring. I was just realising the past few weeks that my injury from a couple of years ago when I am pretty sure I tore it, has healed enough for me not to know about it even ehen exercising or in cold weather as I used to. Today, however, it seemed I needed to use some of the muscles around that area and I yet again felt the spot. It didn't hurt terribly, but was uncomfortable and a numbing sensation was spreading in the area. It went away during lunch, though.

Time: 2:34
    Distance: 15 km
    Max HR: 159
    Average HR: 139
    Training benefit: Steady State training +
    Kcal: 1311
    Fat burn: 28%

After lunch I had about half an hour to rest before, as agreed, we went to try the river for
    Ice skating
    This time, my mom came with us. And since it was not too far from home, Sett did a jog and met us there (his foot after an accident doesn't have a shape good enough to be able to put on skates or the skis and he doesn't have any of his own, so he did not join us). The ice was very uneven as it was melting in the sun since yesterday, so I was worried to gain any speed as I would often come across a patch where the tip of my scates could get stuck. (I don't even know why all the women's scates have those teeth for figure skating there, I'd be happier without them...). My mom was scare as she hasn't been skating for quite a while and wouldn't let go of my dad's hand. Despite that she fell a couple of times. When we were just about to leave (I was a little in a rush already and my skates were pressing my feet painfully already as usual), she just ventured somewhere on her own and started to ge tthe feel of it and didn't want to leave yet. In the end she did, but only with the condition that my dad will take her there again, tommorrow. She didn't seem to change her mind even after falling in her regular shoes on the ice next to our car... even hitting the same spot for the third time...
    I felt like I was standing more than skating and if skating not very fast etc., but I still burned a good amount of kcal!

Time: 1:11
    Max HR: 165
    Average HR: 131
    Training benefit: Steady State & Basic training, long
    Kcal: 550
    Fat burn: 33%

Online Taiji
    Again, I didn't have as much time to recover as I'd like, not even time to cook as I planned, before the online training. For the first half of the class I was the most junior person there, so we were told to show the forms from the beginning up to the form that I knew. We did this twice and teh rest of the class was teacher giving us advice, correcting mistakes, expalining stuff and giving examples. I therefore didn't practice much, but I kept standing in front of the tv and camera and apparently my body was already heated up from the sports before that I burned a decent amount of kcal just doing nothing :D

Time: 1:15
    Max HR: 127
    Average HR: 100
    Kcal: 336
    Fat burn: 60%

It was a very active day today. I fullfilled my Polar activity goal for today by 389% and burned 4060 kcal today, which makes it one of my most active days I'd say.

[​IMG]

axelb likes this.
  14. Nachi

Monday 15.2.

Didn't do my morning training today

Online karate
    There were only four of us today, the teacher included. We did some basic kihon combinations most of the time again, with some work-out, too. It was nice. I enjoyed myself, but was hungry and without energy, maybe also due to feeling the effects of yesterday.
    I left 5 mins earlier in order to at least eat a snack before:

Taiji
    However, it turned out that probably the website had some problem and I wasn't able to load the page with the link to the online class. That didn't change throughout, so I just practiced by myself for the duration of the class. I simply went through the form again and again, trying to improve the things I was told to improve. I skippedthe silk reeling today...

15. Nachi

Tuesday 16.2.

My thighs still feel a bit sore from Sunday and I was generally tired as I fell asleep late and woke up early.

Morning Taiji
    Today I went through the form 4-5 times, then did some stretching.

I was sloppy with work today and had to cook and karate started earlier than usual - it was a conditioning training, so I skipped it. I didn't feel very energetic and had to finish my work... I hear later the training was quite tough, so I had mixed feeling about not attending. On one hand I tend to enjoy trainings like this, on the other, I didn't feel like doing that kind of training today.

16. Nachi

Wednesday 17.2

Morning Taiji
    Went throught the form a few times

Online karate
    Working on kihon, a combination giving me some trouble when done fast when I lost my momentum and Gekisai Dai Ichi kata. Really an enjoyablet training.

Online Taiji
    We worked more on the 22nd form, practicing it, learning more details. The teacher is nice. He makes sure he'd always give me a task I should work on till the next training or week or what. I got one today again, along with corrections of the last form. Again, I should work hard...

17. Nachi

Thursday

Morning Taiji - a few forms, and stretching
    Skipped karate, but did most of the Online Qi Gong

Friday
    Skipped morning exercise

Saturday 20.2.

Bike ride
    The weather today was a complete turn-around from last week. Last weekend was I think the coldest of this winter, we were skiing and ice skating, the tempeture at night got as low as -20°C. Today it was sunny, around 12°C nd it looked like earl spring.
    We were invited by Sett's parents for luncha and expected to stay till some time in the afternoon, helping them move some stove wood.
    However, when we got out, Sett's dad was marveling at the weather and it was soon decided we all are going for a bike ride today. We left right away and decided a meeting spot. I also called my dad if he was joining. He would not forgive me if I kept from him we were going for a bike when he was asking about it before. It was all four of us, then. We rode something over 40 km. It was such a beautiful day!
    It had only two setbacks - one was mud at a part of the trip, which got me muddy head to toe again. The second was... the weather was so nice that, as expected, the path along the river across Prague was completely full of people which made it hard to ride. And I can never help but get angry at some of them, who would just walk in a place that just makes it realyl hard to ride around them, despite this also being a bike trail. We all decided that there's no way we'd ride the same way back. It would cost us our mental health. Therefore we rode on the main car road next to the trail. There weren't so many cars and it was much better in the end.

Zbraslav
    Time: 2:24 (breaks not included)
    Distance: 43.67 km
    Average speed: 18,1 km/h
    Ascent: 95 m
    Descent: 85 m
    Max speed: 36.3 km/h
    Max HR: 175
    Average HR: 143
    Training benefit: Tempo training+
    Kcal: 1320
    Fat burn: 36%
    Training load: Extreme, recovery: 2d 14h

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

Sunday 21.2.

Skipped morning training as I had plans early and didn't get up early enough. I shall definitely go for it tommorrow, though!

Online karate seminar with sensei Sydney
    Sensei Sydney Leijenhorst (IOGKF 6th dan, chief instructor of Neatherlands), hosted an online seminar and even in English so that people from abroad can participate! I have attended a live seminar with sensei Sydney a couple of years back when our sensei invited him to Prague. Sensei Sydney practices also Qi Gong and meditation and he taught very interesting things and principles. This online seminar was to be about principles of generating power, so Sett and I didn't hesitate to participate. As expected, it was very interesting, sensei explored the mechanics and different ways to generate power with examples from particular techniques from our kata. We also did plenty of exercises to figure those mechanics out. It was really great and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves :)
    It was also a little bit of a transition between what I am taught in karate and in Taiji. I would try to use that to help me figure out how to do fajins properly, but I am still a bit stuck.

Time: 1:39
    Max HR: 135
    Average HR: 99
    Kcal: 387

Online Taiji - instructors

I was cooking between the two training and yet again happened to arrive late, although by just five minutes or so and the teacher wasn't there, yet. But his son typed that we should start practicing, so we did. There was me, one junior and three seniors knowing the whole form. The teacher arrived soon after we started. Since we weren't told how far in the form we should go, I thought that when I finish all I know, I'll get a chance to watch the seniors continue for once. But the very moment I finished, the teacher stopped us. He never gives me a chance to just watch :D
    He said we'd stop there and will practice the last form I was learning for a while today. Since there was also one junior who didn't know this one, the teacher first gave her some tasks and corrections and let her practice, while the rest of us worked on the 22nd form until the teacher was ready to give us corrections. We ended up dedicating the whole class to this one form. Going literally motion by motion, stopping at each one for some time, with the teacher correcting everyone. And in my case, I learned more details about the form and another variation the teacher was a bit afraid of teaching online as it was as he said a bit tricky to teach even in person.
    I was doing a few mistakes that were easy to correct, and one correction about the turn in the form, which will be more difficult as I am not sure how to do it well and always get a bit stuck. The good thing was that all the seniors got at least as many corrections as I did, so I didn't feel bad that this class was tailored to me again... :D I am also kind of a little happy I am not the only one struggling O:)

Time: 1:19
    Max HR: 132
    Average HR: 111
    Kcal: 487
    Fat burn: 47%

Travess likes this.
  19. Nachi

Monday 22.2

Morning Taiji and stretching

Online karate was cancelled today

Online Taiji
    Today we did some silk reeling, five forms to four directions and spent time working on the 6th, 7th and 8th form, finally learning all the movements of the last one.
    The Taiji classes are getting rather funny. When I practice in front of the tv, Sett sits to the side working or playing on his notebook. I found out lately, he isn't putting on his headphones, but rather listening to the Taiji. And not really because he is looking for some Taiji knowledge, but because he gets lot of laughs from the teachers well-meant honesty that tends to be quite brutal sometimes. Today, the teacher arrived, with a warm smile, welcoming us and starting the class with: "Today we'll be finishing the 8th form. I was just teaching this one an hour ago to the previous group and they didn't get it at all. Let's see how you do!"
    At this point, Sett put aside his headphones with: "Oh, it's going to be fun today!" :D And it was. The teacher is always smiling when watching us, but when he's smiling too much, I get really nervous. He was also explaining the form and one girl didn't quite get the directions, apparently. So when the teacher was explaining how the weight shifts and he saw us trying, he went: "On, no, you don't even let this bother you. Just figure out where your left and right is!"
    The class finished with something along the lines: "Oh, you see, I said you wouldn't get it. Just practice at home!"

This class I think I kind of figured out something, too! From time to time the teacher briefly mentions the flow of qi and how it is really pleasant when a person does the form in a way that it flows, and that you then get a nice tingling sensation in your fingertips. I tried to focus on that a few times in the past, which was, however, something the teacher didn't really want us to do, and as expected, I felt nothing.
    But today, I watched an older video of one student or perhaps instructor of my school, who was performing the form in a way that his hands were just kind of seemingly flowing on their own without stopping and it looked very nice. I tried to get a little inspired by that today and even during the silk reeling at the beginning without thinking about it, I found my fingers were starting to tingle, quite obviously. Even later when practicing the form and I just let my hands flow. The sensation was very pleasant indeed! And even after a break, when we got back to exercising, they very soon started tingling again. I will try to remember the sensation and work with it better. I am sure it could help me improve my forms. I am happy I was able to experience what the teacher was talking about. :) Hopefully I'll be able to make it happen again.

20. Nachi

Tuesday 23.2.

Morning Taiji and Stretching - 35 mins

Online Karate

We practiced sequences from three different kata, focusing on our feet movement. I got a few things corrected and realised I was doing some general mistakes. I could probably guess what I was doing was wrong, but I didn't realise I was using small movements in preparation to make the pivoting etc. easier.

Travess likes this.