Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Tuesday 26.5.

Morning Taichi

The shorter class with the head instructor, though. Again, today I confirmed that these classes are great as there is much more personal corrections. In fact, despite there being more people today in our group - around 8, it felt like most of what the instructor corrected in general was aimed at me. Like: "And now I'll show you how to avoid moving your foot where you shouldn't - especially you, you do this!" etc. :D Well, I got more corrections that I could ask for and tried to improve all of it. We practised the 4 directions again and later went on to practise the 6th form. We started with the footwork we did last time, then the instructor explained the arms and how the movements correspond to the footwork. Finally! An explanation! It definitely helped me "get it". In the end, when the teacher went to see and teach the more advanced group for a while (he alternates between us), for some reason he stood me to front when we were supposed to practise this form, saying somethings like: "You remember it, right?" Well, a bit? I started a bit nervous and definitely stiff, trying to hold my back straight, but after a few repetitions, the movements slowly started to click in, which was nice.
    The only problem was the teacher always coming by trying to fix my back. I always spend the whole class pushing my lower back closed as hard as I can. Then the teacher comes by, pushes it even further, which I compensate for by moving my chest as I simply can't push further and then he pushes my chest to be even more closed then before and lean more back. "See, now the form isn't as easy anymore, is it?" Sure it isn't, I can't even move like this! Much less breathe...
    I am kind of happy he wants to help me fix my back, though. Even though I can't walk normally after the class as the back hurts when I put it back in the normal posotion, or bend to grab my things. He saw my attempt at bending to get my shirt and asked if the back hurt. I said indeed, I can barely move after his classes, but I said I knew I needed to fix this problem and thanked him for heling me improve. The teacher said no need and that my taichi is nice, but the back needs fixing. Well, a lot of work awaits me! But I enjoy these explanations and corrections, when I have plenty of stuff to focus on improving, rather than just trying to copy the instructor, not always knowing what exactly is the aim I should strife for. I am glad I discovered these Tuesday classes. On Fridays, I can then properly practise all I was told.

Time: 1:04
    Max HR: 156
    Average HR: 132
    Training benefit: Steady State & Basic training, long
    Kcal: 535
    Fat burn: 34%

Wow, such high HR! :D Considering all the movements were practised slowly, I guess it was just form the sheer stress and holding my back close to cramping the whole time and trying to move like that. :D I mean, this HR and Kcal is more than some karate classes...

Travess and axelb like this.
  2. Nachi

Tuesday 26.5.

Karate.

Sensei called, I promised to come for th kids class, however, when I prepared to ride my motorbike, it didn't want to start. I tried a few times more. Eventually it started, but died a couple of seconds later. Actually, in the morning it died on the lights, so I just pushed it to the side of the road to allow others to pass, until I managed to start it again. I did not want to risk the bike dying in the middle of the journey to the dojo, so I decided to not ride it today. I thought it wasteful to drive my car and due to the traffic at this time, it would not be faster than a bus. I desiced to try how fast I'll get there on my escooter (well, not that fast, especially since it took time to gather all the stuff I needed adn I arrived towards the end of the kids class). Sensei called earlier that he would leave early, he has something just close to the end ofthe class. In the end, though, he did not participate at all. As usual, Sett took the iniciative to teach. Sensei gave a few tips on what he wanted to do today, so we did just that.
    Started with footwork, then some partner stretches and workout in twos or threes. Today, when doing the exercise that one person stands and holds their body firm, while the others throw him to each other like a pendulum, I was with two new guys. Teenagers. One was bigger than me, one smaller, obviously not very confident in this exercise in general. Today I forgot to mention, like I usually mention to newcomers, that I am heavier than I look. The thing is if I don't do this, people expect to catch me, but are unable to bear the weight and I end up falling to the ground. Just like today.... Ok, truth is my warning doesn't always prevent me from ending down there..
    For most of the class we practised kicks - mae, mawashi and yoko geri, no time for ushiro.
    After the class ended, the two of us black belts and two brown belts (all those who knew some kata) stayed to go through our kata. Gekisai DAi Ichi to Sepai. The brown belts finished with Shisochin and asked if we could help teach them as the girl did not remember well. I decided Sett can do that, while I'll be on my long way home. I wanted to get back by nightfall. (it was close to 8 pm and the trip was for an hour, more of less). Sett stayed behind, but since he was riding his motorbike, he still got home before me.

No Polar results today, chest strap apparently had a weak battery.

3. Nachi

Thursday 28th May

Karate

The start of today was a bit rainy, luckily, the rain passed by the time it was time for training. We still train outdoors and since sensei was worried about wet grass, we went to practise to a playground at his school. Sensei prepared a training with practising stances and sequesnces of kata in the correct directions using the lines on the playground. We did mostly that - tricky kata footwork - most of the training. At the end we practised some bunkai and a little work out. All solo this time.
    Today's training wasn't particularly physically difficult - actually compared to Tuesday's Taichi it seems much less so. But We did get a good practise of all the techniques.

Time: 1:52
    Max HR: 167
    Average HR: 108
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 566
    Fat burn: 46%

Travess likes this.
  4. Nachi

29th May
    Friday

Taichi

A very normal class. A larger group of students today. We spent quite some time working on the sixth form with the aim for all of us to remember it so we can start learning further. We spent some time learning forst part - two steps of the 7th form even.
    I tried to work on all the corrections I got previously, especially fixing my back. Toward the end of the class, it already felt stiff, so I bent over to stretch it, slowly a few times (I couldn't bend much on the first try), only to disover I have some trouble getting back up and then moving :D Luckily, the end was near and I was able to slowly walk away to the dressing room...

Time: 1:22
    Max HR: 127
    Average HR: 106
    Kcal: 460
    Fat burn: 52%

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The next Stephen King novel will be a post-apocalyptic future where only cockroaches, Keith Richards, and Nachi's Log survives. :D

Thank you for inspiring all of us Nachi :)

Travess and Nachi like this.
  6. Nachi

Wow, haha, thank you! :D

7. Nachi

Morning Taichi

We practised on a terace outside today for the whole class, while the more advanced group were in the gym not far away. The instructor seemed to spend a whole lot of time with us. I mean he did disappear often, but before we finished our 6 forms, he was always back, so he had to have always only like a minute or two with the other group. He did have two assistants there, though - probably two more advanced people whom he asked to work with the rest. We practised the 4 directions and the 6th form. The teacher again gave some pointers and explained some principles we all should focus on. As I was working on them, it was rather hard to always keep my back as straight as possible. I tried to focus on that too, but honestly I was a bit slacking there. So my back did not hurt as much today.

Polar results:
    Time: 0:59
    Max HR: 137
    Average HR: 113
    Kcal: 384
    Fat burn: 46%

I probably won't make it to karate later today. Too many things to do this week...

8. Nachi

Tuesday's training was cancelled due to rain in the end and today's training will most likely suffer the same fate. I wouldn't go anyway as I have just returned from a dentist, cleaning the nerve from my front tooth that was getting worse since I got an elbow from sensei some 3 to 4 years ago. The dentist said it seems to have been a rather large injury. Hopefully the tooth won't give me any more trouble.

As for the last days, I am doing some culinary experiments. We've gone to pick elderberry blossoms with my dad on Saturday. My parents usually dry them to use for a tea. I tried the seasonal elderberry sirup. It was my first attempt. I know my grandma used to make it. It tastes really good! My mum's now sad they don't have enough elderberry flowers to try and make a sirup for themselves. It seems we may go for one more round. For now I have 6 litres of it and hope they will last until next may :)

Apart from the sirup, my mum received a few kilograms of apricots. She didn't want to give me some as I wanted to use them to make a jam, but as soon as she received even more, she happily gave me enough for me to try a home made apricot jam (my first attempt, and successful) and my favourite Czech food - the fruit dumplings. Delicious :d

We may go to a farm to pick some strawberries (there are farms offering this and if you pick yourself, the strawberries are cheaper). So I am looking forward to trying a strawberry jam, dumplings and cake, ideally. Yum!
    Not a particularly healthy diet, but I am really starting to enjoy growing veggies in my gardem and trying to make stuff like this! The jams and sirup are cheap this way, are really made of fruit and I know exactly what went in. They make for a nice present, too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Elderberry flower syrup and apricot jam.

ned likes this.
  9. ned

ned Valued Member

We are drinking first of my elderflower sparkling wine tonight !

Glad you're still enjoying your taiji, it's a lot harder physically than people think.

Nachi likes this.
  10. Nachi

Wow, I've never tried that, sounds like something I'd love to taste! Bon apetite!

I am :) I am really looking forward to a 4-day course in summer I signed up for. Yep, I guess it can be easy or hard depending how much effort one puts in.

ned likes this.
  11. ned

ned Valued Member

I've watched as my 70 yr old teacher leads a group of students through a 30 min session of silk reeling not breaking a sweat (and smiling) while their legs are shaking and their shirts are soaked in perspiration ! :p

Nachi likes this.
  12. Nachi

Oh that is something I can imagine quite well! :D

ned likes this.
  13. Nachi

Friday 5.6.

Taichi

Regular class, started with standing meditation, silk reeling, and form. Forst to five directions, then we practised the 6th form, an the 7th. We wet through it once or twice with the teacher, without explaining, but as he was standing with his back to us, I did not catch nor remember all the movements. Our group were then told to practise by ourselves, so we only practised till the movement we more or less remembered. When the teacher came, he explained the 6th form this time, and let us practise. he only explained the 7th like 3 minutes before the end of the class and not whole form, only what we did last time and the one more movement we were able to remember, more or less, from his previous demontration. Anyway, I am glad we are again learning new forms to practise. I hope the teacher can always explain the movements in the form so we don't have to guess and practise something wrong. Not all the angles etc. are obvious from the demontration.
    I tried to keep my back the way it should be for the whole class. They did hurt and became stiff again, but not as much as before. It may, however, also be due to the teacher not pushing me today, so I may have not hold them straight as hard. I also did try to keep my stances as low as I could. I am seeing a bit of progress here.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:32
    Max HR: 143
    Average HR: 117
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 631
    Fat burn: 44%

axelb and ned like this.
  14. Nachi

Spent yesterday evening preparing strawberry-rhubarb jam. Still have strawberries left, I am going to try a strawberry liquor. :)

Tuesday 9.6.

Morning Taichi

There was a senior student or perhaps one of the junior instructors today, who ed the meditation and silk relling. Unlike last time, though, when the main teacher arrived, the younger one split the groups and took us to practise. We did the 5 forms to 4 directions two times in a row, then continued to practise the 6th and 7th form. I have never been taught by this guy before, but he was a good teacher. He went with us through some of the details and we practised some sequences step by step. He also spent the whole time with us as he did not have to alternate between us and the other group.
    I tried to hold my back straight as always. Surprisingly, it did not hurt at all today! But today I got an opportunity to watch myself in a mirror and I totally get why the teacher always tried to close my chest ater closing my lowe back. I am doing all I can, but somehow, my stance looks a bit ridiculous. Aaaargh. Also was getting out of breath today. I think my HR was rather high and due to my runny nose cause of pollen allergies and stupid stance pressing on my diaphragm makes it all harder to get enough air through the nose and breath into the lower belly (that I find nearly impossible), which makes me a bit angry with myself. Will have to practise and find a way.

Polar results:
    Time: 0:58
    Max HR: 164
    Average HR: 134
    Training benefit: Steady State & Basic training
    Kcal: 485
    Fat burn: 31%

axelb likes this.
  15. Nachi

In the end I skipped all the karate trainings this week as I failed to finish a commission I planned to finish in the weekend and it took me the evenings instead. Second part of the commission is a plan for this weekend, so hopefully I can finish all of it by Sunday.

Friday 12.6.
    Taichi

Again a regular class - meditation, silk reeling and form practise. Although there is a more advanced group practising with us, we all started together practising "our" 7 forms first. Toodays teacher, when he practises with us, he tends to do so reeeeally slow. I mean, he says it is because we need to learn it slow to not skip any parts of any movement and learn to do every movement fluently, but... it is just painfully slow and I can't adapt to that pace. Then we were told to do the 7 forms by ourselves, the teacher watching. Everyone obviously started at the same slow pace. I could not take it, but kept checking the others to not run too ahead. I then noticed two guys in front of me who seemed to be a form ahead, so I also picked the pace up just a tiny bit. Then turned sideways, so I had no one in front of me and had to keep the pace myself. When finished, I just stopped and turned and realized I finished like 2 forms ahead of everyone. Damn!
    The teacher nooded his head towards me and then he proceeded to give us some feedback. It was: "I know taichi is slow and there is a reason for doing the form slowly, but you know, it can't be so slow that it is without life and dynamic..." Ahahahaa, I was really laughing inside :D
    As for the rest, we divided into groups. A senior student probably offered herself to practise with us so we can copy. It was nice of her, however, she move just as, even if not even more slowly as the teacher. That is a bit frustrating. I do know there is a reason to do everything really slow, but I just can't. My breath is not enough for that and you know, some movements when I step or something. It just can't be done all that slo mo.
    Otherwise the class wsa good. The teacher then gave us some advises, showed us practical application of some moves as a reason they should be done head heigh and to the canter of the body and we practised just those couple movements for some time. It seemed though it was also a correction aimed at the senior student who was doing this different, so she practised lot, too.

At the end we were told that during summer holidays (July - August) the Friday classes are going to be no more. What? The teacher hinted said we'll have two more classes and maybe will learn another form so we have and easier time finding a class we can join. The same thing about the Friday classes was told to me by the receptionist. I took the opportunity and asked about the Wednesday classes that are for us as well, just start quite late. She said, though, that those will be cancelled as not too many people attends adn there is going to be a beginner course. So for my level there will only be the Tuesday morning and Thursday morning class. I can probably make them, but I still told the receptionist that this is pure bullying of our group :p We can probably also join a more advanced class or something and practise by ourselves, but I guess no one will have time to really explain and teach us. I will ask about this the next time. Well, next time we have karate weekend, but at the final Firday class.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:38
    Max HR: 116
    Average HR: 134
    Kcal: 684
    Fat burn: 45%

16. Nachi

Taichi

Today after the meditation and silk reeling with the advanced student/instructor that taught us last time, hw split us into groups, had us practise the 5 orms to 4 directions twice in a row and went to work with the other group for now. I thought he'd be teachign us again, today, but before we finished the head teacher arrived and worked with us for most of the class, I'd say, even though our group consisted of only four people, unlike the advanced group.
    The class was great, passed by very fast. The teacher started with again pointing out my mistakes and did so a few more times during the class. One of the corrections was a principle I did not hear about before about stepping backwards and turning the body. The way he explained made much more sense. I have a lot to work on, still, most importantly my stance - my back - as always. Good thing is my back doesn't hurt nearly as much after the classes when I try to hold it straight, which is a good think.
    At the end of the class the teacher told me it is getting a bit better and if my back is ok. He also said my forms are nice, which was great ^^ I love to have stuff I know I do wrong to work on. I feel like I can get better if I improve these things, not just practise and practise blindly. I am really looking forward to the four-day summer course I am planning on attending :)

Polar results:
    Time: 0:59
    Max HR: 133
    Average HR: 153
    Training benefit: Steady State & Basic training
    Kcal: 501
    Fat burn: 33%

Travess and axelb like this.
  17. Nachi

On Tuesday afternoon I had a bit of trouble making it to karate. Sensei apparently couldn't make it, either, so I went to teach the kids class and unfortunately had to leave for the adults. :( There were around 15 kids altogether, most of whom were beginners and the rest wanted to practise stuff for the grading this weekend. No idea how to do it, but then, suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder and an instructor from a different dojo - different city (with brown belt), arrived. Aha! :D I felt a little bad, but I asked her to take all the yellow belt and up kids to practise their bunkai and kata with them O:) She did not mind though. And I spent the rest doing basic techniques and running stuff with the beginners. Sett taught the adults, while I went home to finish my work.

18. Nachi

Thursday 18.6.

Today in the morning I went to Taichi. This is an hour long class, making a pair with the Tuesday one. Tommorrow we are leaving for a natianal weekend karate seminar and I wouldn't make it to my usual class, so I went today. Well, the Friday class is going to be cancelled in the summer anyway, so I will try to attend Tuesdays and Thursdays morning. Thursday is taight by the same teacher as Friday.
    We did the usual stuff at the beginning and then worked on our forms, especially the 7th again. A nice class. Today I tried going barefoot. I am used to do stuff barefoot from katare, so I didn't like wearing shoes at first. Later I bought shoes with thin soles - for Taichi, the cheapest I could find. They are ok, but, like my shoes I started with, they are quite slippery on the floor inside. Not that I had troule walking or anything, but when doing anything, especially the silk reeling in a wide stance, my feet simply steadily move sideways and I can't last like that. Having to constantly adjust my feet and pulling my feet together all the time is rather hard. When my bare feet didn't slip today, I had no trouble lasting all the way in a relatively wide stance (for me at least). However, when it came to the form, I couldn't do stances as wide as I would like as I learned to cheat in the stepping a bit, by sliding my foot to the position. Right now when my heel touched the floor, it simply stopped. I could only gently touch it with my thumb adn slide a little, but considering I should be stepping with my heel first... I will have to figure out a strategy. :D I may try going barefoot and simply learn to be able to step into a low stance. Somehow. If I can do that, I am sure that would be correct. Another option is purchasing better shoes with non slippery soles. Which I may do as well and see what works best or alternate.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:15 (forgot to stop the training until on my way home)
    Max HR: 117
    Average HR: 137
    Kcal: 535
    Fat burn: 42%

19. Nachi

WHITE ROCK NATIONAL WEEKEND SEMINAR

Friday 19.6.

Thursday's karate training was cancelled in the end as another big rain was supposed to come.
    On Friday we went to a traditional weekend seminar in Southern Bohemia. It seemed it woul have to be cancelled due to the coronavirus, but things are looking good here now, so about a month ago senseis decided to organize it as usual. The seminar takes place in a camp where we sleep in the wooden cottages typical for children't camp, and train outside on the grass. This whole thing + 4 meals althogether are ridiculously cheap. The first training is on Friday fron 6 to 8 pm. We wanted to make it this time, so Sett left work son after lunch, picked up one friend, drove here to pick me and another friend. Howover, for some reason the traffic was terrible, even thoguh it was early and he spent 90 minutes on the way home. When we all left for South Bohemia, the traffic was still terrible, so we arrived just after 8 pm. In total, there were about 55 people coming this year, which is good.
    Another unfortunate thing was that the weather forcast said that it will be raining from Friday evening when the seminar starts, till Sunday afternoon when the seminar ends... And so it did. Luckily senseis booked a gym in a village or a small town closeby, so we trained there or in a club room in the camp. I specifically went to buy a raincoat to bring with me and I was happy I did!

Saturday 20.6.

Morning training - Sanchin
    We did this in the camp, 6th kyu and above. Not much to say about it - kata explanation and practise.

Polar results:
    Time: 0:54
    Max HR: 119
    Average HR: 196
    Training benefit: Regenerative training
    Kcal: 188
    Fat burn: 57%

20. Nachi

WHITE ROCK NATIONAL WEEKEND SEMINAR

Saturday 20.6. - Main block.

We trained from 9:30 to 12:30. First the warm-up and Junbi Undo by a Nidan from the organizing dojo, then we were split into groups - children, beginners to yellow belt; orange and green belt; blue belt up. We traiditionally have four senseis teaching, but one of them hurt his eye badly maybe a couple of months ago and although he is probably already teaching in his small dojo, he did not feel like participating in this bigger seminar, which I completely understand. Because o that, other lower black belts were asket to take parts in teaching in his stead. Two Ni dans from the local dojo, and Sett and I - each teaching one block today. We tried to get to know which group we were going to teach, but were only told just before the training started. I told sensei that if possible I'd prefer not to teach children and sensei let me have the beginner adults for the last block, so I thought I'd do some kicks and the kicking part of ippon kumite.

First block - sensei Jaroslav (our sensei)
    ...and his favourite Renzoku kumite. We made two lines facing each other and one line was changing spots afte each round. One round consisted of five steps with three hits to the forearms - iron body conditioning and after fifth step we went straight for the renzoku kumite, then switched the sides and did the same. I think all the black belts were in one line, therefore the line facing us - our partners were the lowr belts and there wasn't anyone going particularly hard at it. I try to accomodate to each of my partners, but go just a little bit harder so to challenge them a little bit. I always end up with angry looks and then everyone badmouthing me that I am the worst of all. Oh well. I always say sensei is much more evil, but apparently, sensei goes easy on them and always only beats us, or me. Well, me he beats every time. When we did a second round of the same with Renzoku kumite Gekisai Dai Ni - the application of the second kata, which is the same except for a couple of techniques, I heard sensei pause before saying "hajime". I though: "No, don't switch lines. I know what your thinking, you want to go at it, but you can just stay." Sure enough he didn't. I braced myself and as usual, sensei beat me hard. After the five steps I did all I could to control my hands - they were a bit numb and it was a bt of a struggle to keep my fists closed and to the techniques with any stranght behind them. Luckily, sensei didn't push too hard for the renzoku itself, either. Great, now I'll have bruises! Only later did I learn that a black belt friend who got sensei after me had it easy and sensei has probably had enough or what. :mad: My last two partners after sensei was a friend brown belt from a different dojo. His karate is really nice and he does it much longer than I do, but didn't have so many opportunities to grade etc. He isn't particularly hard for the rion body, but as I had sensei before and my arms numb, I always tend to go harder after my round with sensei. So he was giving me unly looks and tell me to calm down. I mean it felt like I went so easy, but hten again, I didn't have much feeling in my arms anymore. My last partner was a brown belt younger girl from our dojo, whom I swear I barely touched, but still got the ugly look and complaints. And I didn't hear the end of it from everyone later in the evening... It was fun and worth it, though :D With all the hitting and a kumite training later in the evening, everyone from our group ended up with bruises. I mean - sompared to others, I ended up quite well with only a few :)

Second block - sensie Robert
    As the sensei missing always teaches kakie and kakie kumite - locks and stuff - sensie Robert did this in his stead today. We still worked in the two lines changing partners and practising locks etc. Nice class.

Third block - me teaching
    Unfortunately, yet again, I missed sensei teaching our group Sepai kata... But oh well, that is the price for wanting to teach adults instead of kids. I asked sensei where the beginner group I was supposed to teach, is, but sensei decided to switch for some reason and sent me to the orange and green group. What? I won't teach ippon kumite there... Luckily sensei told me he didn't have that group, so I can teach the kakie in his stead. Having just had that block, I could copy a bit, so it was nice. I spent much more time with only the basic kakie as most had some trouble figuring it out, etc. I added the basic pulling exercise, practsing the kakie in groups of three and did two locks (one of them finished with takedown) - one from inside, the other rom outside. I wasn't sure whent eh block was supposed to end, so it was hard to make a plan with how much we can do. I then had them attack one another without kakie and defend with either of those techniques. Just when we were about to finish, the block was over. It may have even looked like I had it all planned! :) Nice. Working with the group was nice. A nice break from the kids...

Polar results:
    Time: 3:06
    Max HR: 179
    Average HR: 119
    Kcal: 1186
    Fat burn: 39%

Travess likes this.