Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I noticed I wrote we did the Tensho bunkai with sensei Nakamura yesterday, which is wrong. The last block was about Sepai kata, which we practised and sensei went through each step once then, explaining some details, most of which I didn't know, so I went to get my notebook and try to write the new info step by step. I think I did a better job remembering it than thought I would :)

20th anniversary of IOGKF in the Czech Republic - day III

We could sleep a bit longer today, not much stuff to take care of. I was dropped of at the venue, so I checked for open changing rooms, switched the lights in there and in the gym on, took a book and waited for the first attendees.

The training started at 9 am for black belts today again.
    Our group up to Sandan was taught by Nakamura sensei. We started off with the turning - Kanryo Higaonna's - Sanchin, then, surprisingly again worked on Tensho bunkai - slightly different to what sensei Ernie showed, but similar enough.

General training started at 10 am, with sensei Ernie doing the Junbi Undo and sensei Nakamura taking the kids to the smaller gym.
    Apart from Junbi Undo we also did some combinations, solo. I wrote them down this time. I am really bad in coming up with nice combinations if I want to teach them to kids or anyone, so I think it is a good idea to make a small list of them from various seminars and our sensei, too.

For the three main blocks, we were split into more groups today. Sensei Roy, sensei Paul and sensei Torben were teaching, too.
    Our group remained the same - 1st to 3rd dan, and was taught by sensei Roy in the first block. We started with Gekisai Dai Ichi kata and continued with oyo bunkai. Since we are the lowest grades in our group at the moment, when forming lines, we are nowhere at the front. I guess if we were thick skinned enough, like I am sure some people are, we could be there, but didn't feel like it since we are really juniors in this group. However, as sensei Roy arrived he said for the smaller people to come to the front and taller ones to the back. That is how I was moved from the back to the very first line. For the bunkai I partnered with a lady from Germany, I think. She was a very good partner, too. Sensei Roy actually usually picked one of us as his partner to demonstrate stuff on. Doesn't happen often to me. Also I feel senseis usually maybe subconsciously pick guys. We practised four bunkai, then were told to make groups of five. Four people were attacking by the bunkai in order, three rounds slowly to get into it, then 7 rounds fast, full power and sensei reminded us that he wants to see us gasping for breath at the end of our round. It took me a few rounds then to calm my breath down.
    At the end of the class we did a bit of a work out and sensei explained some of the movement principles during basic tsuki.
    Very nice block again!

Next block our group was taught by Nakamura sensei yet again. Which is definitely nothing to complain about :)

This time sensei wanted us to practice kakie. I was able to keep my spot in the first line and therefore my partner was a guy, this time, but of the same height as me. And from kakie we did some techniques. First the 5 Tensho bunkai from this morning, which I had a bit of a problem to remember, but with my partner's help figured them out soon. Just sometimes took a short while to think what comes next. After that sensei showed four more breaking techniques or locks. One I was quite familiar with, except for how to start it, the others were of the kind I usually had to think hard about and one was completely new to me. These all came easier to me than the bunkai, in fact. For one lock working with a shoulder, I had a hard time getting my partner to tap out, though. I could push, change stances a bit to get further in the lock, but he still didn't seem as in pain. His shoulder seemed to be very flexible, which he confirmed. When sensei was going around, I took the opportunity to ask him if he could show me again, I had a hard time with my flexible partner. Of course, sensei got him to tap in a matter of seconds at most. I tried to see what he was doing differently. Sensei laughed that he thought it was because my partner was too flexible and I was being too nice. I wouldn't really think that, although.... I don't know... maybe? The next technique was also for a shoulder, but was easier to push further, so I had no additional problems.
    At the end of the class, sensei had a short talk about how good an idea it is to write stuff we learn at seminars like this and keep notebooks with technique descriptions and various notes. Just what I have been doing all along! :)

It is always nearly impossible to end and start the blocks at the right time, so it happened that for the last one we only had about half an hour left. The groups were merged back together and sensei Nakamura taught the final session.
    We again worked on the relaxing our muscles and did a fun exercise to it I think I will be trying at home from now on. Sensei also explained about the focus in the kata, its beginning and ending. At the very end, since this was our association's 20th anniversary, we did 20 Gekisai Dai Ichi kata to honor that. Honestly, I had a bit of a hard time to focus and do the kata as best as I could as my head started hurting somewhat (not much sleep the past three nights took its toll, I'd say). But the training was over right after that. Only sensei Nakamura performed, as his habit is, one kata at the end. He chose the highest one, Suparimpei/Pechurin. Wow, that was crazy. I mean, it was obvious how he was working in all the muscles in his body, having the tiniest detailes refined. Also what surprised me was that with every step he took, although sliding his feet, a loud creaking sound was heard. About the loudest thing in the gym, as everyone was dead silent. It took me a while to figure out what the sound was. With every step and every kime, sensei would squeeze the soles of his feet - like grabbing the floor and that made the noise. Wow, incredible. I couldnt really even imagine how he was doing that.
    Our sensei ran to us just when we were to form lines and asked us abou thte black belt certificates for our friend he brought this morning. We unfortunately left them in the car. Sensei wanted to ask sensei Nakamura to give them to the friend, who wasn't at the party yesterday. Right after mokuso, when it was time for some speeches, I nudged Sett to go get them. Sensei saw him leaving, so I knew that if needed, he would make a longer speech to allow time for Sett to come back. He made it in time without problems. Sensei Nakamura probably saw what he brought so I got the certificates and he could give them to the friend of ours.

Polar results:
    Time: 5:36 (I forgot to end the training until 20 mins later...)
    Max HR: 182
    Average HR: 116
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 1928
    Fat burn: 40%

After the seminar I took some time making sure some things were done. Like that all the passports were signed, including the people who graded, and handed the one passport who's owner forgot to bring it yesterday to sensei to ask Nakamura sensei to sign it. Basically my tasks were to run around look for sensei when the sensei's changing room was locked, then the women's shower was locked, etc.
    Sett drove sensei's back to the hotel, which left three of us at the venue, so we tidied it and prepared stuff to put in the car and unload in the dojo.
    We did that with Sett and then drove straight for lunch with our sensei and sensei Paul and Peter. A group of four people from Scotland, who are friends with sensei joined us there. We all got in the cars, dropped sensei Paul and Peter as their plane was leaving soon and picked up sensei Ernie and sensei Nakamura to go to a wellness to a sauna. We stayed for a bit and then went for a dinner in downtown near the river, where our sensei's former student works. The restaurant was nearly empty and we got a good service. We were able to have a nice talk with senseis and everyone. I couldn't resist asking sensei Ernie about the grading in Okinawa and my final work-out - I wanted to know if heremembered he said we needed to do 100 push ups, then 100 squats and then a 100 sit-ups. Because I was sure I heard we needed to do a 100 of each, but can swap - meaning I did like 30 of each, then next round of 30 and so on. My sensei then beat me with a PET bottle when the grading was over. And I am sure I would have that on my plate for a long time still. It turned out I really was wrong as sensei Ernie said. Sensei Nakamura started joking about how I am digging my own grave by admitting this and that I should do my push-ups or hand the certificate back. Luckily, he didn't seem to be serious :D
    We left at about half past 10 I'd say. I really enjoyed the evening.

The seminar concluded and was awesome. There were attendees from Slovakia, Poland, only sensei Raoul from Austria, several senseis form England, a group from Scotland, large group from Germany, surprisingly even a larger group from Denmark and apart from Nakamura sensei also one more Canadian. Luckily no one from Italy (you know, the coronavirus and stuff). There were probably around 120 people, but I forgot if that did or did not include kids.
    Too bad there can't be even more seminars like this. Watching and learning from sensei Nakamura, sensei Ernie and the others is really, really inspiring.

It seemed even the kids were inspired, too. Sett taught his kids class yesterday and one boy, who attended and is the highest grade there was allegedly really enthusiastic and even overmotivated. Wanted to do Sanchin, practising the focused breathing as best as he could, to the point he did that kind of breathing and focus even in Gekisai Dai Ichi kata. He also had a ton of questions about karate and everything and talking about how sensei Nakamura showed them one kata, how awesome it was and when he's going to learn that one. Haha, I am looking forward to see that today when I teach kids :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Travess likes this.
  2. Nachi

Wow, coronavirus arrived to the Czech Republic. With nearly 40 people sick, our goverment decided that starting today, all events with over 100 people are cancelled, schools and universities are closed. That takes care of the uni classes I go to.
    Luckily, the gasshuku has just passed. However, this probably also takes care of the gasshuku with sensei Bakkies in Slovakia in a couple of weeks. I kind of expect for that to be cancelled, too. Since schools are closed starting today, sensei just cancelled the trainings as well.
    I wonder about how Tai chi will go. It seems we can only train at home for now...

axelb likes this.
  3. Nachi

So I wa very much slacking this past few weeks. I've been going outdoors, birding, and riding my escooter, which really isn't much of a sport :oops:
    Occasionally I only went through some kata or the Tai chi form.

However, last weekend I made up my mind that I needen one more vegetable garden bed and made it a bit bigger than originally agreed. Sett and I grabbed the spades and went at it. Eventually my da also came to help with something he rather enjoys, so I didn't do much of a hard work anymore. Until Monday when we had to take 25 big bags of the expanded clay aggregate that we sieved from the garden bed and replaced it with a nicer earth.

Gardening polar results:
    Polar results:
    Time: 5:29
    Max HR: 154
    Average HR: 112
    Kcal: 1953
    Fat burn: 55%

I actually measured the taking away of the clay. The main problen was to get the bags into the car parked 120 m away. I borrowed my dad's wheelbarrow and took the first 3 or four batches of 3 bags to the car on my own until Sett was free and basically did the rest. I forgot to stop the training when we drove the stuff to a place to throw it away, where we had to empty the bags into a big container. By doing all this, although Sett did most of the work in the end, I did burn quite a few calories :) I stopped the training before we started the other half (the car was completely filled up with 13 bags.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:10
    Max HR: 172 (those damned bags were heavy)
    Average HR: 134
    Training benefit: Tempo training
    Kcal: 543
    Fat burn: 32%

(Yep, I always claim gardening is a good workout :D)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  4. Nachi

Wednesday 8.4. 2020

I finally forced myself to grab a kettlebell and do a bit of my usual routine, although with big enough breaks in between. I didn't wanted to start too heavy. And also my pollen allergy has started and that is a big enough energy drain on me, although it isn't that bad, yet...

I measured it with my chest strap, however it was showing nonsense for the first half of the training, so the data isn't very reliable. Like when I definitely head a HR of over 160, it kept showing 82 without change... Maybe it wanted to get a revenge on me for not using it lately.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. Nachi

Thursday 9.4.
    A friend from a dojo decided we needed to do a videocall wiht her and train together today. I was really not feeling like doing any sports today, I was tired, but the time was set. Sett prepared some training just beforehand. We didn't go too fast or anything, only in an easy pace several techniques and kicks, footwork, some kata in one spot (that I missed as I was tending to a bread baking in the oven for the dinner, and so on. I am really happy Sett was able to come up with such a nice training.

The friend who organizes this is of a mind to do online trainings like this for kids. We'll see if we'll try that - mainly if the kids can actually do that videocall etc.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:46
    Max HR: 133
    Average HR: 100
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 412
    Fat burn: 54%

(yay - a very easy pace :) )

6. Nachi

Friday 10.4.2020

National holiday - no work. We, technically. I started the day with a bit of drawing, then successfully baked a traditional Easter/Christmas cake or what to call it, tended a bit to the garden, went for a walk (45 mins, 3,5 km), visited parents briefly and went roller blading with my dad and Sett joined us on a bike. Measured the training with chest strap, however, half the time it was giving nonsense data again. When I was breathing hard with a HR obviously over 170, it showed 69... And my lowest HR during a break was 27 bpm :/ Yeah, sure. However, it probably worked fine for some tim, finally showing my HR in the 5th zone. So the data from the whole training can't be trusted, but still:

Polar results:
    Distance: around 12 km
    Time: 1:18
    Max HR: 178 (this may be true, more or less)
    Average HR: 93 (my guess is more like around 140)
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training
    Kcal: 324 (should definitely be more)
    Fat burn: 41% (should be much less)

axelb likes this.
  7. Nachi

15.4. 2020

A short, half hour long kettlebell training at home:

Time: 0:36
    Max HR: 163
    Average HR: 131
    Training benefit: Steady State & Basic training
    Kcal: 258
    I tried a different mode for measuring the HR today. Also had to re-install the app and reconnect it with my belt as I set my phone back to the factory settings as it was getting unbearably slow and its memory nearly filled no matter what I deleted. Now I can postpone looking to buy a new phone by a few extra months :)
    Anyway, I am not sure how this measuring is correct or not. It was still showing nonsense in the beginning so I restarted the training.

axelb likes this.
  8. Nachi

I planned to go look for a bird to a village near Prague and proposed to Sett to go on my escooter and his bike. He told me, though, that I should for once go on my bike, too :D So I did, it wasn't that far and not many hills on the road. In the end, my dad joined us, too. My first bike ride this year. It was all nice, but my butt really hurts today :D (I have on old bike with no suspension).
    I have to do more rides like this. I need to lose some weight ^^

Distance: 38,1 km
    Time: 2:03 (breaks not included)
    Max HR: 169
    Average HR: 121 (breaks included)
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training, long
    Kcal:1120 (yay :)
    Fat burn: 36% (should be much less)

axelb likes this.
  9. Nachi

The governmnet finally started the awaited study about how many people in the population actually had Covid-19 without symptoms. They picked four cities and in some called people from various age and social gorups of both genders to participate. Which makes more sense for the statistics then the way it was done in Prague - who comes, gets tested. The test took maybe three days and although we knew it would take quite some standing in a queue as obviously many people would be interested, we went. I wanted to know if the one night fever and quite a bad cough I had from January to March could possibly be Covid-19. In the end, both me and Sett had negative results. We can at least not be too afraid to meet people and spread the virus.
    I wonder what the results of the study are going to be.

Sett's friend suggested that we join him on a walk/hike near our home. Just on this day our government allowed for up to ten people to gather (as opposed to two which it was before), so we didn't even have to worry about having to explain something or doing something "illegal".
    The walk was nice, we stopped for a beer here and there (I only had a shaved ice) and the walk then took us quite some time, but it was nice. Around 17 km. We took a tram home in the end, instead of walking the distance, as we finished at around 9 pm and it was already dark.

Distance: 16,73 km
    Time: 4:51
    Max HR: 165
    Average HR: 120
    Kcal: 2052
    Fat burn: 50%

Travess likes this.
  10. Nachi

Today marked a sad day for us. The time came to finally move out of our dojo. Ever since I started karate, we had a beautiful full time dojo with a place to also sit and chill, celebrate birthdays, etc. However, we had the two physiotherapists who rented one room leave some time ago and the fees for heat were raised quite a bit recently. That and the fact that unfortunately the dojo was empty most of the time - there weren't as many trainings as there could be - resulted in us not being able to afford the newly risen rent. Sensei then came to the conclusion that unless we can find a sponsor, there is no way we can keep renting this place. In the end, he ended the contract at the end of February - just before the pandemic made its way to the Czech Republic. The dojo had to be empty by the end of April, so today, sensei rented a van and 9 members of the dojo gathered today to move all the stuff and furniture. What a sad thing. The dojo was wonderful, cozy and had a beautiful wooden floor perfect for karate.

Luckily for us, sensei became a headmaster of an elementary school nearby, so it became an obvious choice where to move the dojo. Sensei started teaching karate to all the kids interested, so there are many classes there taking classes. Therefore sensei turned one classroom into a dojo of sorts. A little bit bigger than our dojo, but not as nice and with a carpet, which isn't ideal. So we can only train with mats on it. It is still great, though that we can use sensei's school and not go into a regular gym. It seemed sensei also found a small room to fit the couches for a dojo so we could have a place to just sit and drink some tea after trainings if we want to. Which is great too.
    Maybe we can also expect new kids to come to the children classes next year as sensei will probably use this opportunity of us teaching karate in his school - since he has not enough teachers to teach karate to all the kids practising it there, now.
    Because of the pandemic, the fact that we don't have regular classes during summer holidays and the moving of the dojo, regular classes will not start until September, even if the schools are supposed to re-open by the end of May, although only for volunteers and would be open mostly to entertain the kids so that parents don't go crazy and can work.

axelb likes this.
  11. Nachi

Friday 1st May

The coronacrisis is dying down. Government is slowly allowing more and more things. Up to 10 people can gather and gyms etc. could start operating again since Monday. On the conditions that changing rooms and showers are not used, only up to ten people in a room, keeping a save distance and wearing face masks. Therefore the crossfit gym as well as taichi opened again. I am not going to try crossfit for now. I'd die there and wearing a mask... no way!

TAICHI:
    But taichi sounded good enough! They made a reservation system to prevent more than 8 people in class (leaving space for up to two instructors I guess) and asked the members to only come once a week. The schedule is a bit different, I can only visit classes for all levels. I went on Friday. We started outside on the roof that can be used for training. There we could take down the masks if we kept a distance. We started with the usual meditation and usual silk reeling. I wasn't practising this at all... shame on me. I only tried the form a few times in the past couple of months.
    Then the instructor asked about our level - specifically who knows up to, but no more than the 5 forms. Which was me and two others. However, when we started practising the 5 forms to all four sides, it turned out the two others mistook the forms for the silk reeling form and did not know this. The instructor took them away and had them practise silk reeling. He said we can make groups according to what we know. Now it seemed I was the only one not knowing more than 5 forms in our group. But this class was mostly about being able to practise again together, not really learning new delicate details etc. Therefore when we started to practice the sixth form and then the seventh, I just copied, which was quite hard the first time around, but more or less ok the second. I mean, obviously, I had it wrong, but I did manage to step the right directions, tried my best to shift the weight right and try to copy the hand movements, which was hard since I was in the last line and couldn't see what the instructor or the other students were doing with their hands in front of them. The instructor went to help the two beginners, so I picked the student who seemed the most advanced (which wasn't hard, she was the only one arriving in a uniform) and copied her. She was later instructed to practise in a way so the ones who don't know the forms (me) can copy. So it was nice.
    Wow, it's been a while and I did feel my legs a bit the next day. Also although you can say taichi is really slow, I breathed quite hard on occasions (also due to the face mask which we were to wear again after moving inside in the middle of the class).

My dad decided not ot go int eh end. He seems to not want to come again. It is not that he thought badly of taichi, but he was always reluctant to go somewhere after work and he usually didn't go unless I was coming, too. He says he'll be busy riding a bike and spending time at our cottage in summer, so... It is a pity he gave up so easily. I think this is a nice exercise good to do by yourself that can keep up a person's health.

12. Nachi

Sunday May 3rd

KARATE:
    Sensei announced first since the arrival of the pandemic. Kids can't yet enter a school and Inside masks should be worn, so we did a training outside, on a grassy space at sensei's school. I am not sure if sensei was somehow controlling the number of people, but there were 9 of us, sensei included. Three children. We did Junbi Undo, some push-ups, a thousand tsuki (with 5 burpees or 5 fall-on-your-back-and-get-back-ups) between each set of 100.
    Then we practised the techniques from Gekisai Dai Ichi kata and then did the kata, but each transition to be repeated 10x. That was when it started raining and me and Sett who arrived on our motorbikes were worriedly checking the sky. Sensei then ended the training there. Which was a good decision, quite a rain came then.

Sensei said he was planning to do informal trainings like this twice a week from now on. That would be great. Too bad I probably can't make it next week, since I hav a program for every single afternoon...

Time: 1:32
    Max HR: 162
    Average HR: 106
    Kcal: 483
    Fat burn: 43%

axelb likes this.
  13. Nachi

Tuesday 5.5.2020

We had plans to go to our cottage for the weekend and Friday. Because of that I wouldn't make it to the Friday Taichi class and I decided t go on Tuesday morning, instead. I have never been to this class before as Tuesday I have to leave early for karate classes and did not have much time to spend.
    The Tuesday morning class is taught by the head instructor. It was still a class under a special regime, so we were outside and only ina group of 10. Then me and two others were split from the others, who were more advanced. The teacher went around and was correcting individual mistakes. Finally! The Friday teacher only talks about why he can't do that as that would take too much time. If he took that time of talking to instead correct the mistakes, it would have done more good. He is a good teacher, but I am lacking this. Now the main teacher immediately corrected my posture. Told me to fix my back. Yeah, what else. My back just isn't straight, however, so it is basically impossible to accomplish. But I'd like to work on that. I was given more details abotu how to work with the back during the form. Also to close my chest, but despite trying to hold my back firm, loosen my hips and ther stuff. This class only lasts an hour, but much more was accomplished than working longer on the form, repeating my mistakes. I noted down all was told.

14. Nachi

We did quite a bit of walking during the weekend, but other than that, no real exercise for me.
    The Covid-19 pandemic here is slowly fading away and starting this week, sports cna be done nearly normally. Meaning we can be in groups up to 100 people, and don't even have to wear face masks inside (for sports only, otherwise we have to wear them on the streets and everywhere), except for the instructor, for some reason. Using changing rooms in forbidden, so we have to come in gym clothes. Those are only rather mild restrictions. Starting this week, karate should resume twice a week, although we'll stay outside, since we just moved from our dojo...

Tuesday 12.5.2020

Although I was planning to go to Taichi only once a week on Fridays, I decided to pay a bit more to be able to go on Tuesdays, regularly, too. I really enjoyed the last class. And I also decided it really is time to lose some weight and do some cardio, so I rode my bike there. Ugh, I forgot the gym was much higher than my place. My fitness levels have gone out the window during the quarantine. I had to stop after or in the middle of each hill to get my breath under control. It was a reason I arrived late and all sweaty. Despite it being like 1°C, I was taking my clothes off...

I arrived 10 mins late to class, so I joined where they were in silk reeling, and I found it hard to just sink into it and do it well. I didn't have time to calm down (and the fact that I have to climb three flights of stairs to the gym did not help, either.
    I missed most of the silk reeling, but when the main instructor arrived, he divided us into two groups by our level again. I was in a group of only three who only knew up to the 5th form. The rest was form an advanced class. The teacher let us go through those five forms to all 4 directions and then again gave us personal correction. It seemed he did not remember me from last time, but immediately went to fix my back and told me to close my chest...
    Then I was given a critique about how I stomp at one place. I did not know I was doing it wrong, the way I was shown. Will have to focus on that. One last thing was the first step. I was explained how I was doing it wrong in a few ways and to work on that and on steps ingeneral and to step in a way I can immediately shift my weight, not adjust my feet. I was focusing on that in another step when the teacher was watching and was really happy with how I did. The teacher's response was: Oh, this step is not a problem, you can do that. But fi the first one...
    At the end he told me I hav enice stances and work well with the arms and my forms look good. So I have to work on the mistakes. That compliment made me rather happy. I was asked if I enjoyed Taichi, which I, of course, answered, I did.
    I got quite a few corrections and that made the class really worthwhile and gave me stuff ot potentially focus during my practise or in Friday classes. Really great! This is the way I can learn more effectively!

The way back on my bike was easier, although I was a bit tired and was riding slowly. And the hill home again...

BIKE RIDE:
    Distance: 14,63 km (both ways together)
    Time: 0:45 + 0:39
    Max HR: 175 + 167
    Average HR: 130 + 138
    Training benefit: Tempo training + Tempo & Steady State training
    Kcal: 353+336
    Fat burn: 26% + 28%

TAICHI:

Time: 0:49
    Max HR: 154
    Average HR: 135
    Training benefit: Steady State & Basic training
    Kcal: 402

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  15. Nachi

Thursday 14.5.2020

Sensei started karate classes outside for now. I was celebrating my mom's 60th birthday on Tuesday, so I didn't make it until today.

Karate:
    Sensei started us with some running and 10-9-8-...1 push-ups, which was enough to tire me out quite a bit. My gosh, I should have been exercising more during the crisis. Then we did like 10 rounds of jumping various ways over a rope. After Junbi Undo followed some footwork and then hojo undo. There were 8 people, sensie included and 2 were beginners. So we did the exercises all together. First 9 rounds with 10 exercises with stones. Then there were 8 stations - 4 chi-ishi and 4 nigiri game. Sensei used the sand nearby to fill two pairs. Ugh, it made it very hard! Expecially the pairs with somewhat larget "mouth" that I have trouble holding normally - I have a bad grip and amll fingers, so my little finger tends to slip off and make the whole thing hard for me. Luckily, when I got to the worst pair, the exercise was only holding the vases down and moving in shiko dachi. Well, my left hand especially had quite some trouble even then and the nigiri game nearly slipped a few times.
    Every other station was chi-ishi doing the regular exercises while moving in shiko dachi. Then sensei added a second chi-ishi to two stations to practise both arms at the same time, which is obviously much harder as you can't switch hands and relax one. Not as terrible as the nigiri game, though...
    Last was the kongoken. We only have one and we were already tired, so sensei set rounds of challenges where we take turns. First was "who dares to lift the kongoken 3x?". Meaning explosivly push it avove head from shoulders while falling into a horse stance. The second round was the same 5x, then 10x, and last 20x. I was not very confident about additional twenty and sensei didn't have much faith in me as he and Sett were standing guard at each end of the kongoken to help me lift it a bit. I didn't like the idea much, though, as that would make it much easier and I wanted to try, so I voiced my dissaproval and sensei backed away. Not with the best form, but I managed the 20. Somehow. Most people did, too, with some trouble. Except for a teenage boy, I think.
    The next challenge was to do the steering wheel exercise with kongoken. 10x. This was is probably even a bit harder than the first. 10x was good for everyone. Then, however, came 20x again. I was fairly sure I can't do that by this point, but sensei said I can try the challenge and stop if I can't finish. I did the first 10x quite ok, but then it started to get harder. But sensei said if I did 10, I can do 20. And somehow I did, which made me happy.
    At the end of the class we did some San Dan Gi Ichi, by which paint I was really tired overall.

I arrived on my motorbike. I was getting my stuff ready, shut the bag in the trunk and then... I realised I shut the keys to the bike, there, tooo. Oh no! Sett, however, jumped on his bike and rode the 20 minutes way home to find a spare key and bring it back. Luckily, he found it, but I waited at the school for an hour (I really hate riding a bike at the back as the passageur, so I refused to do that). For that hour I went through my kata and practised the taichi form and tried to correct my mistakes.

Today's training was quite intense. Good for me, I guess!

Polar results:
    Time: 1:52
    Max HR: 176
    Average HR: 131
    Training benefit: Steady State training+
    Kcal: 879
    Fat burn: 31%

axelb and Travess like this.
  16. Nachi

Friday 15.5. 20

Taichi

Regular evening class, again we can already be inside and now go according to normal schedule. Except we still can't use changing rooms, which is of little concern to me. As usual, the teacher was teaching two groups at once - the advanced were only a group of 4, we were only five. We worked on the 5 forms and toward the end added the sixth. It looked like I may be the only one who still had no idea what the six form was about. Sure I tried to copy it once, but didn't even properly see what was done with the hands and heard no explanation. Today was also just about the first time this teacher gave me some personal corrections, which was nice. I have quite a few things to correct in my form right now.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:21
    Max HR: 131
    Average HR: 109
    Kcal: 468
    Fat burn: 49%

axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

Saturday 16.5

A walk with my parents, around 8 km.

Sunday 17.5.

Sensei invited Sett and me to his place for a barbecue. He did some work on his garden and wanted to show us. We had a great time, chatting with him and his wife. A couple hours later, a world-wide videoconference for countries' chief instructors was scheduled so that everyone could report the state of their organization at these difficult times. We wanted to leave, but sensei invited us to stay and listen. We left after that.

Today was also finally the time to plant all the vegetables in our garden. At the beginning of April, I decided to make a larger gardenbed for veggies. Sett was really "happy" about it as it was quite a bit of work, but we made a great garden bed that is now occupied by tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and jalapenos, peas, leek, onions, garlic, beetroot, cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi, radishes, carrots and corn. Woohoo! I hope I will grow a lot of vegetables! Although I'd love to have a whole veggie garden to work with. I also want to try growing pumpkins this year, but due to lack of space, I am going to plant my seeldings at our cottage and ride there to water them.

axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

Tuesday 19.5.

Morning Taiji

There was around 6-7 people in our group. The instructor had us go through the five forms to the four directions a couple of times. I did my best to keep my back stright, but no matter what I do and how it hurts, it still isn't straight enough. The instructor pointed a few things to a few people and while explaining stuff he had me stand by the wall in a bow stance and fix my back by the wall. I got one more critique about me straightening my arms at one point in the circles, which I kind of knew I was doing and probably wasn't right, but I did not know exactly what to do differently and no one corrected me till now, so... But now it was explained to me what to focus on doing instead, which is much more easier to do now.

Unfortunately after and hour of trying to keep my back straight by force, it hurts in a way I can't then even walk properly and walsk funny, as it hurts to get my back in the usual position and keeping it more straightened prevents me from straightening and relaxing my legs properly...

Time: 0:56
    Max HR: 151
    Average HR: 124
    Kcal: 442
    Fat burn: 37%

19. Nachi

Tuesday 19.5.

Afternoon Karate

I was in a hurry today to make it to the kids class. Due to the traffic, however, I was late. Luckily, sensei was there and to my surprise teaching just about 20 kids. 6 of them were regulars from the dojo, the rest from sensei's school, where he teaches karate as a part of the PE. And I heard more kids said they would come today, but in the end, did not. Ugh. Scary.
    Sensei was teaching the whole class, I only occassionally corrected someone when I saw a mistake and there was time for it (like sensei not counting fast etc.).

Adult karate.

Similar situation. There were two o us black belts, one brown, one blue belt and the rest - 8 people were beginners, 2 from dojo or random and 6 from sensei's school. Last tie we worked out a lot, so today sesnei planned to make the training more technical. We practised in pairs quite a bit today. Various kicks and basic combination, also to the pads at the end. Sensei was planning for the class to last 1,5 hours, but we spent quite some time with the basics and sensei still wanted to do pads. There were no clock, but I was pretty sure we can't possible fit it all. As expected, the class lasted 2 hours in the end :) A nic class. Still training outside in today!s windy weather and dark clouds always visible, but no rain at all, luckily.

Polar results including the kids class, where I was basically doing nothing at all:

Time: 3:06
    Max HR: 164
    Average HR: 106
    Kcal: 894
    Fat burn: 47%

Travess likes this.
  20. Nachi

Couldn't make it to Thursday's karate class.

Friday 22.5.

Taichi.

More people came this time. We were practising the five forms to 4 directions and working a it more on the sixth form. Still mostly copying the instructor without a proper explanation how the arms should move ideally, which leaves me to wonder at times at what exactly should the form look like. As some details may escape me just copying when most of what I see is the instructor's back. I guess I know more or less the movements, but I would love to hear the explanation as that usually helps me learn.

Time: 1:46
    Max HR: 131
    Average HR: 101
    Kcal: 494
    Fat burn: 55%