Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Wuji (zhuang), it's a taoist term, roughly translated - empty,
    limitless. Good luck with your taiji ! :)

Nachi likes this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Ah, I see, I will look it up. Thanks :)

3. Nachi

Monday - didn't feel well in the end, skipped crossfit.

Tuesday 26.11.
    Karate kids:
    One girl missing, other 13 kids present. Including the biggest troublemaker, whom sadly, even the other kids aren't really excited about. One girl went to stand meekly in the corner tears running down her cheeks for no apparent reason, but it seemed she was really stressed that the loud boy was present. Or I don't know. She would only nod or shake her head. As expected, three boys were giving me a hard time. I sent them out of the dojo for a few times. I really hate to do that, but I can't seem to find any other way to make them at least stop getting in the way of others learning something. At the end of the class, the troublemaker told me by himself - probably as an explanation that he can't behave in a group - that he's used to a different setting as there are only 3 children in his class in school. I didn't have time to ask him about it, it must be some private school or something, but I guess it explains some things. I asked sesnei later how he deals with him in his classes. He says he keeps him busy. Like when the class is asked to do one technique at a time, he'd do 3 or something like that. I will have to try, I guess. Truth is he and his friend just can't bear doing nothing for even a second...
    Anyway today I wanted to do bunkai for Gekisai Dai Ni kata because of the most advanced boy. I'd tel myself I'd just go through it, and relatively fast, but so that everyone can practise. Sett arrived early today and walked in to help me. With his help we were able to split the class in two - beginners whom Sett was teaching Gekisai Dai Ichi kata, and the rest, whom I was teaching Gekisai Dai Ni. Mostly bunkai, and only had time for 2 out of 4. I realised they do not know a couple of techniques from this kata, therefore next time we will have to practise tora guchi and the remaining two bunkai. It was really noisy today, my poor voice...

Karate adults:
    Warm-up, junbi undo and the main focus for today were techniqus (always block+counter) with only one hand, keeping the other behind our back. they were short and flowing techniques we practised in pairs, then in groups of three with a bit more pressure. Last 20 or 30 minutes were spent practising kata for our next grading. Sanseru for me. In the past weeks we were practising it on more occassions, so I think I memorized the steps by myself, but at those times sensei wasn't there to give pointers so I got some mistakes pointed out only now. I will have to write them down and focus on them. I am sure there is a lot of stuff that needs working on in my Sanseru. Belly work-out at the end. I got a headache toward the end of the class, and wasn't particularly energetic nor happy about the work-out.

Polar results will be added in the next log. I left my phone where the results are in the dojo yesterday...

axelb likes this.
  4. Nachi

Because of stuff that came up (dentist, part time job dressing as a devil to scare kids for a traditional St. Nicolas Day) I didn't go to any karate training last week.

However, on Friday, when I went to pick my mail to the post office, I received a surprise in a for of a Trainer's licence B certificate :)
    Sensei was working on the final details with the faculty where a few of us took the tests and wrote some essays (and were scared they were handed in a bit too late) and it was actually a surprise for him, too, that the certificates were already sent. Now I have officially become a dojo instrucotr :) An assistant instructor, I'd say. Woohoo :)

Friday 6.12.

Taichi:
    Less silk reeling today, most of the class was spent practising the forms. We have been taught, at least toward the end of the class, the 3rd form. One stance there feels really awkward to me, putting a lot of pressure on my ankle and maybe a knee, too. Will have to figure it out :D

Travess likes this.
  5. Nachi

Sunday 8.12.
    Karate in Sedlčany dojo

I got a text message from a friend from Sedlčany - a smaller dojo where we've promised to come at least once a month to teach, whether we were going to come till Christmas (as we should). I asked sensei and in the end we went. They have 2 hour long trainings only on Sunday. The main dojo instructor, who has started the dojo when she was a green or a blue belt has gotten to the brown belt level, but had gotten pregnant and recently gave birth. So she is a bit out of the picture, although she was always doing what she could to keep the dojo going. She mostly had teenagers there and the oldest student has celebrated his 18th birthday, so he's the new dojo instructor now at blue belt level. And that is the reason we promised to help as much as possible. Today it was sensei, Sett and I as the fresh new official instructors and a friend with a brown belt, who used the opportunity to practise for her upcoming grading next week.

After a warm-up with a game with burpees we didn't really take a part in and some footwork, sensei asked me to do the Junbi Undo, so I did with a bit more stretching and 5 neko undo at the end. Sensei then split the people into three groups by belts - beginners who have come to the dojo maybe a couple of months ago (4 in total), yellow+orange belts (6 people I think including a couple from a brand new dojo in a closeby town), and a green belt + the dojo instructor and our brown belt friend. Sensei was teaching kihon techniques, adjusting them sometimes for each group. Sett and I were going around, helping with the techniques and correcting. I seriously have trouble being serious at times and I am not sure how I end up being laughed at by everyone. I do enjoy the friendly atmosphere, though. :) I soon discovered that just walking by someone, watching them, or stopping nearby to check their technique apparently makes quite a few people nervous. o_O So I put that to the test :D :cool: When I came by and watched someone for a couple of seconds, they tended to screw up. Haha, fun! :D Actually, that was where most of the girls started to cover their smiles and nervousness from afar when I was approaching them, totally giving them away.

After kihon we had only about half an hour left. Sensei wanted to split the three groups among us. I was asked to teach the beginners and go through San Dan Gi Ichi, pads, Gakisai Dai Ichi kata and pads. I knew from the very beginning that I would have a hard time accomplishing that due to the limited time.
    It turned out the beginners, younger teenagers, have shaken their nervousness and became pretty cheeky. Basically when I came to their group, the three girls who have just learned my sly methods sighed and looked really unhappy. The only boy in the group, however, caught on much quicker and was really happy to have me. What a clever guy! The girls started with 10 push-ups for being so disrespectful :mad:. One of them looked surprised and apparently wanted to start a discussion, so she got 15. After that, everyone was finally really happy I was their teacher for today ^^ That's how it should be!
    We went through San Dan Gi as fast as I could manage while explaining details they struggled with and moved onto kata. They said they were taught once and somewhat remembered. I counted each step and was in front of them so they could copy, but they didn't seem to struggle much which told me they do know the techniques and movements, at least roughly, which was very good news! We had to spend some time with a kick and a following combination as the kick just wasn't what it should be. And went quickly through the rest of the kata. At that point I heard sensei announce we only had a couple of minutes till the end. And sensei really wanted the beginners to do some pads. So I had them grab the pads fast and at least practise the problematic mae geri 10 times for each side. And a 10 burpees at the end as we had some time left before sensei finishes and one girl from my group thought it was ok to just go and chat with a girl who hurt her knee and was just resting now. I gave her a really bad look, but the girl didn't even notice or thought something weird until the hurt one alerted her. That could only be rewarder with 10 burpees! For everyone, though, me included.

Polar results:
    Time: 2:00
    Max HR: 175
    Average HR: 111
    Training benefit: Basic Training
    Kcal: 624
    Fat burn: 45 %

6. Nachi

Tuesday 10.12.

Karate kids:
    I skipped a warm-up as well as Junbi Undo to focus on preparation for the grading next week. We went through San Dan Gi Ichi and Ni, Gekisai Dai Ichi kata and practising a couple of specific techniques - hiki uke and tora guchi that appear in the next kata, practising that, too. This Gekisai Dai Ni for for a lot of the kids first time. So I showed them once (it is very similar to the first kata) and everyone could chose whether they will next practise the first of second kata.

Karate adults:
    I was really curious whether sensei will come today. I had a feelin he'd either arrive fairly late or not at all. Sensei was late only a bit, but left in the middle of the class.
    We started in a circle, each person picking one of the stones we have in the dojo. Each person took turns in going in the middle of the circle and performing their highest kata. For every technique they did, the rest would jerk the stone up above their head. I tried hard, up to sensei's Suparinpei - a looong kata. I was basically just jerking the stone.
    We also practised San Dan Gi according to grade. For black belts we went up to San Dan Gi Go. Then we performed all we practised in a row in front of the other groups. Although it ddin't seem that difficult, this is where I got my HR max for today and quite a high one!
    Sensei then left, asking the two of us black belts and fresh official instructors to divide the class in halves and practising for grading. I picked the group of three brown belts, two of whom will be grading on Saturday. My task was to drill Seiyunchin kata and bunkai. I picked them in order for me to get some practise, too. But I very soon realised that forming two pairs to practise the bunkai would mean I wouldn't be able to see and help the pair who were grading, so I wanted us to be only one group taking turns in attacking and defending and for the gradees to be able to practise as much as possible, I decided not to practise with them to give them more time to go through everything. At the end sensei asked us to do Sanchin, which we did, twice. The two of us only observing again, and doing a bit of shime for the full power kata. The brown belts preparing for grading then asked us if we could go through the bunkai with them once again, so we stayed some time after class to help them. And to compensate for out inactivity afte they left, too, we went through Sanseru, Sepai and Tensho katas quickly.

Polar results:
    Time: 4:10
    Max HR: 184
    Average HR: 110
    Training benefit: Basic Training, long
    Kcal: 1280
    Fat burn: 44 %

Travess likes this.
  7. Nachi

Thursday 12.12.

Karate adults:

A game of makiwara, a bit of body weight exercises and mostly standing in a push-up position, trying to sweep the other people till they fall. I usually picked the little ones as you couldn't leave to another post until you sweep someone, but when getting close especially to the higher grade guys, I ended up on the floor way too soon for my liking. And once I hit my knee into the wooden floor rather hard, so it hurts and is bruised now.
    We then did the same thing in the circle as on Tuesday, but the katas were performed in groups - everyone with the same highest kata performed at the same time. The rest of us did not have stone, but would pick a bodyweight exercises (that could be changed between katas) and do one for every stance change in the kata. I did mostly V-ups - for three kata and 2x squats when I was tired. As for sensei's Suparimpei, I thought it was fairly long, so a plank would be a good challenge. I saw myself in the mirror and even surprised myself that I was able to keep my body fairly straight. However, it became a real struggle since like the middle. I saw two people copy the plank from me, but they gave up. I was determned not to, but I started breathing hard, trembling, my sweaty forearms moving on the floor and I gave up just before the end (I don't remember the kata to know when the end was coming). Sensei was going especially slow today, though! Checking his stances and techniques and my more and more groaning didn't make him want to speed up, either. I don't think the plank was particularly long, though, so I was quite dissapointed in myself, but I guess the V-ups took their toll, too.
    The next exercise was to make two lines of people who'd pair up and we practised some strikes and blocks. Later on, one more student came, so sensei joined the lines to keep the number of people even. And he was in the line other then me, who was rotating, meaning he'd be my partner eventually, too. Oh man! First he paired with me for and exercise when one person strikes three times and the other blocks from outside, then back from inside and a low block - harai uke. I didn't hold back in striking with sensei, but wasn't pushing it, either, nor trying to really hit him. I mean, I would if he didn't block, but I didn't try to pass his blocks. When it was sensei's time to attack, he did go, of course, much harder than myself, trying to his as soon as he saw an opportunity. The second block from inside was fairly weird and wasn't the type to just strike and let the partner's arm fly away, rather, the arms were touching for a while, sliding across each other. Basically, I'd still get hit and then would nearly scrape my skin trying to push sensei away. Ended up with bluish upper arms today....
    Next time I was going to meet sensei was for iron body conditioning. We started with one techniques with someone, then two techniques in a row with the other black belt, three techniques with the only other really tough guy and it was obvious just after that was sensei oming with four strikes. I was just wondering what the fourth would be as I was going to get a beating again :D Three arm strikes were ok. I mean, they hurt fairly, sensei is just too tough and too strong, and he asked whether I can take body punches (the fourth technique). Unfortunately I could :D Sensei then changed the punch to open hand srike, but I am honestly not sure it that was actually better. He didn't slam me too bad, though. But Upon taking the strike when I was supposed to strike again at the same time, my strikes were weak as sensei pushed me and my arms are shorter. In the middle suddenly, sensei stopped the last technique and didn't hit my belly anymore. I am not too happy when he's going too easy, either, but whatever, the forearm strikes were hard enough! But then, just when I grew complacent, sensei suddenly decided to resume the body strikes and he didn't hold back much now. And of course, I didn't expect it and didn't tighten the muscles too much. So I got hit hard, ended up feeling close to getting gassed, then I was dizzy, ears ringing, and then a bit nauseaus till the end of the class XD Note to self: Never stop paying attention or doing the best you can! I didn't want to pause, though, but the rest of the strikes were much milder. The body ones. My arms were shaking so I'd have to give my sometimes hard to open bottle to sensei or to someone to open it for me...
    We then practised bunkai for our kara (Sanseru) with sensei's quick explanation and toward the end we were all attacking the brown belt before grading so he could practise Seiyunchin bunkai.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:56
    Max HR: 173
    Average HR: 127
    Training benefit: Steady State training+
    Kcal: 803
    Fat burn: 34 %

Travess likes this.
  8. Nachi

Friday 13th

Tai Chi
    A standard lesson similar to last ones, most of the time we were practising the 3rd form. The 3 month long beginner course is now theoretically over, I prolonged my membership till March today.

Tai Chi in Candle light. The next hour and half was a session open for anyone - members of the academy and friends. The teacher was talking about some theory and chinese culture and we practised the standing meditation, which was explained to a bit greater detail, breathing included, so I heard some interesting things that weren't covered in the beginner course.

I was a bir sore from yesterday, and bruised, and ended up feeling very tired when I came home.
    Tommorrow there is an annual Christmas seminar in a different city, and grading for some people. I thought it was great that it seemed nobody needs our assistance in teaching (as two senseis will be busy with the grading for the first couple of hours) as it happened I think a couple of years ago. They would have already asked us by now, wouldn't they? ... Nope. Well, at least we know a day in advance... and can prepare for doing the warm-up + Junbi Undo block and one block teaching the kids. Which will be more difficult for figuring out what's would be good to teach, but we'll manage, hopefully :)

Travess likes this.
  9. Nachi

Saturday 14.10.

Time for a traditional
    Christmas national seminar in Jindřichův Hradec.

This year, all dojos participated, the smallest one, with only six members even had a 100% attendance. Altogether, 62 participants gathered.
    Sett and I were asked yesterday, to teach a block, each of us. One would have the general warm-up and stretching block, the other would teach a group of children. We made a rough plan of what we could do and in the end planned to share both blocks. It is easier teaching in two people as we can hold the pads for kids, go around and correct stuff etc. and overall it is less stress. However, as soon as we presented our idea to sensei in the morning, he was against. That it would be a waste that we would both lose two block where we couldn't practise. In the end, I had the first block - the warm-up. The warm-up is usually given to a sempai - a black or brown belt present, so that the higher grades have at least that time when they can practise their higher kata or bunkai together. The roughly fifteen kids were taken away, taight by our sensei, while I did the warm-up for the rest. I think this was the first time I taught a group of around 40 people alone like that.
    Tha seminar was scheduled to take five hours - 1pm to 6 pm. With a warm-up and then 4 blocks with different senseis.

First block - warm-up (me):
    I started with some running back and forth a few times, normally, bckward, sideward, on all forth, like a crab backward and forward etc. as the gym was a bit cold and I thought it a good idea to really warm-up before attempting to stretch properly. I went through Junbi Undo and focused a bit on leg stretching. Then we did some footwork - sliding in different directions, then added a technique to that. Did some kicks, a mae geri from a squat 30 x etc. I thought it is quite likely the block that will follow could be more technique oriented, so I thought it didn't matter if we got our hearts pumping a bit. Only then did I realise that there were people who were just about to go for a grading. Ooops, too late.
    My block got me the highest heart rate as well as the highest average heart rate from all the seminar as I kept in stuff in a good pace. I had some people shoot me nasty glances or come complain a bit afterward. Too bad, though :oops:
    What I was sad about, though, was that the rest of the black belts were practising Sepai kata while I was doing the warm-up. And apparently there was a lot of info we could get. I would like to learn a bit more about Sepai as there isn't much opportunity and we can do it on international seminar as we did last time, so I would be happy to at least have an idea about the steps. I complained a little to the organizing sensei who asked us to teach. He however immediately proposed that if I come at 6 pm when the seminar ends, before everyone showers etc. he could go through the kata with me in half an hour. I was so going to take him up on that! :)

We divided into four groups by grades, our group being blue belts up.

Second block - Sensei Vi.:
    This sensei isn't usually particularly confident in kata and bunkai and all the details, but is very good and enjoys joint locks and throws, as he also has some background in aikido. And it is basically what he teaches every single seminar. So I wasn't surprised when he arrived and announced: "Kakie!" which is what we usually start the locks from. I practised with a friend from the smallest dojo. We did a few more or less complicated locks and throws and it was fun :)

Third block - Sensei Vl.:
    One of the organizing senseis had us practise Shisochin kata. I realised I haven't practised too much lately and when e had to do one step per count, I find it a bit harder than just going through the kata continuously at my pace. I even started the first step with the wrong foot as we were practising it separately. Which led to a very good confusion of Sett who stood next to me as I later learned the black belt who was next to him from the other side messed up the stance in the same way as me :D
    Sensei gave me some pointers, I was doing one step n a wrong way, but I was told differently by another sensei previously, so I will just try to correct my habit. Also a good block :)

Fourth block - our sensei:
    Sensei gave us a choice of what to practise. Either we'd do iron body conditioning with a fast kihon ido combinations or go through Saifa Renzoku kumite. We then took a vote. Normally, I would probably go for the iron body option, however, from our training on Thursday and my conditioning and the other combination with sensei, my forearms were a little sore, but my upper arms had all sorts of colors. So even though I was sure if sensei did not participate, it wouldn't be too terrible, I passed on that option today. I just didn't want to have my arms blue... And Saifa Renzoku won.
    We practised forst by ourselves, but most of the time with a partner, changing partners at times. My main partner to practice with was a blue belt who was standing just behind me. I soon realised it is the teenager from the organizing dojo, whom sensei took for a general all-style karate tournament - a national one and he actually won a first place in kumite! Really a great success! I've never practised with him before, but I very soon realised he was a very good partner. His tehcniques were a bit harder than I expected, so I adjusted my techniques, too. He was a little stiffer than most people, but rather precise and his style sort or reminded me of Shotokan. But really, I had a great time practising with him, so I couldn't halp but tell him his techniques were really good.

Fifth block - our sensei:
    This time the four or so groups were abolished and instead, two groups were formed - those who knew and didn't know Sanchin kata. The Sanchin group was taught by our sensei, who got inspired by sensei Masuyama in Okinawa, who was teaching Sanchin kata in a different way. A fast and string way. Today, sensei took that idea and his own format and we spent basically the entire 50 minutes or so practising Sanchin on the spot, but all techniques as fast as we could, never lowering our arms, just going from one kata straight to the other. I still remembered it did not seem that hard as someone made it sound and that was the case today too. We did several dozens of Sanchin katas like that, a loooot of kiais, too. After a while, my arms started to hurt, but only a little and soon they just adjusted, so I focused on being as fast as I could and I got into that good mindset of pushing myself and feeling good in it and still energetic.

During the final etiquette, the results of the grading were announced and this time, everyone passed! Including the twins from our dojo who graded for second kyu and were rather nervous about it! That's very nice :)

After the seminar formally ended, I went to find the organizing sensei to ask him: "Sooo, how about my Sepai session?" But before I could even open my mouth, he said: "So, let's go!" Sett then joined us and sensei seriously spent the half an hour walking me through the kata, explaining techniques. I forgot a lot of things since September whne we learned the kata at the Gasshuku in Slovakia, and many things sensei told me today I never knew. It was hard putting it all together, but I am just going to think, go thoguht the kata and write all I could possibly remember down. We than arrived somewhat later for the dinner, but we still waited really long for the meal and actually got home at around midnight.
    It was a great seminar, as always :) And I was really thankful to sensei who spent the additional half an hour staing behind helping me with the kata. That was very, very nice of him, so I thanked him properly. :):oops:
    Although he made me a little angry when we were saing our final goodbye and he decided not to even get up from his chair, as this way, we would be of a similar height, so he found it pointless to actualyl stand up :mad: He's over 2 metres tall, so he's definitely right about that, but I still didn't like how happy he seemed about it :D

Polar results:
    Time: 5:36
    Max HR: 178
    Average HR: 127
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training, long
    Kcal: 2364
    Fat burn: 34 %

axelb likes this.
  10. Nachi

Tuesday 17.12.

Grading in the dojo.

So today was the day for many. Sensei organized a grading for students of our dojo up to 6th kyu (5th kyu and up has to be graded by an instructor froma different dojo). It was mostly kids, 3 young adults and 5 students from the faculty, where now sensei M teaches and offered them to grade.

The grading was to start at 6 pm and there was not going to be a regular kids class. The time before was reserved for everyone to warm-up, stretch and even practise before grading. Last Thursday, the head sensei told the kids they could come as soon as 5 pm to warm-up and practise before grading. I originally thought the dojo wouldn't be opened as early, but it was a good idea. Just in case I asked sensei whether I should be there at 5 pm. Sensei seemed happy that I apparently can make it and asked me to come. Only later did I realise that meant sensei will then only come just before the grading. Sett, however, said he would come as soon as he can, too. And I heard that sensei M, who teaches the faculty told his students to come even at 4 pm that he will be going through what they need for the grading. I thought I would come as early as possible and maybe help sensei M or just in case. I arrived sooner that I originally expected, 4:30 pm. ... only to find sensei M leaving the dojo, surprisingly. He just returned to the door and called to the students inside: "Hey, she's finally come! She'll help you with practising for the grading!" -_-
    Our senseis sometimes..... seriously...

There were only two students so far, but more soon arrived. As well as the children. I invited everyone who was waiting outside politely, while I was helping the students with kata. Soon the dojo was full of people - at least 15 or so. Our dojo is rather small, so space was a bit of an issue. I told everyone to make two lines and for everyone to practise San Dan Gi on my count. Even the beginners who didn't need that for their grading, but they just wouldn't have where else to stand, the san dan Gi practises the basic techniques that they will need, and because such a group of different grades, mostly kids, was hard to manage in one person. It was then when I saw the other instructor, a friend with a brown belt, in her gi, to stand just outside chatting with the parents. I couldn't help but call to her: "What? Are you serious? There're sooo many people, I am alone, trying to think of ways to have everyone practise what they need, and you stand outside, doing some small talk???!!!" She then promptly arrived and I gave her the beginner to practise techniques with. I still had the faculty students who were going to go for a yellow belt and had to practise kata and three boys for 6th kyu. I organized one group and then went onto the other, but soon Sett arrived, so I was left with the boys. Just before 6 pm sensei arrived and we left the dojo, leaving everyone to use their time too either relax or stretch or revise whatever they need by themselves.

At that time I noticed a friend, who is shy and sometimes has a social fobia and we finally talked her into grading this year. She comes to the dojo regularly twice a week for about 4 years now, but only graded once. I was happy she was going to, but I noticed her outside, wearing her gi pans, but onl y aregular shirt. She chenged her mind and was too nervous to go and try the grading, so she was only going to watch. At this point, I didn't think it a good idea to try and force her or to start talking her into it. That would probably make her feel worse and get her more nervous. However, when I threw the idea about her just trying the grading out, without signing up for it, just to try the atmosphere etc., she surprisingly agreed rather fast. Sensei told us before that if anyone wanted to just try or use the grading as their training, they could. However, due to the spece and everything, nobody really tried that. Except this friend. She put on her gi, told sensei she would be there, but not grading, just trying it out and she went. She still seemed very nervous, but didn't give up or anything. She wasn't there officially, nor was she written on sensei's list of people grading, but it was clear to all of us who teach in the dojo, that it simply was a way to make her participate in the grading without getting her completely stressed out. There was no doubt in my mind that she was good enough to pass the grading. And that sensei could awad her the grade even if she didn't sign up. On the other hand if she somehow failed, probably due to stress, nobody would really told her she failed or it wouldn't be looked at it that way, since she was only there unofficially.
    Sensei called us other assistant instructors if we had some thoughts after seeing everyone grading and he told us that except one boy, he'd pass everyone and even the stressed friend would be given a grade. At the end Sensei and the three of us stood or sat in seiza in front of everyone and sensei announced the grading results according to his list, saying a few nice sentences specifically to everyone. The three of us were there just bowing to the gradees when they were called out and when sensei announced the result. Sensei then finished, thanked everyone and said a few closing sentences. Me and Sett were nervously waiting for an opportunity to step to sensei and remind him that he wanted to grade the nervous friend, too :D It was great, everyone who passed was really happy, and the friend, who was there unoficially seemed to really not expect that (surprisingly) and cried. It was so nice.
    I chatted with the student from the faculty afterwards. They were all very tired, but happy. It was a good day :)

Travess and axelb like this.
  11. Nachi

Taichi

We were practising the 3rd form more today and got a glimpse of the fourth. I will unfotunately not be coming next friday, but we should start learning it soon, anyway.

12. Nachi

A walk in a big forest ot too far from Prague. Got all muddy.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:32
    Max HR: 151
    Average HR: 122
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 642
    Fat burn: 40 %
    Distance: 7,5 km
    Average speed: 5,1 km/h

Me and Sett went for a touristic hike with his dad and in the end my parents, too, organized by the Club of Czech Tourists. Sett's dad attends the hikes nearly every Saturday if he has time and this time we joined in. We picked the middle lenght of the trip, which was 12 km.

Polar results:
    Time: 2:49
    Max HR: 168 (this was weird as it was at a place not up the hill and when I didn't feel it at all, maybe the max was only aver 150 when we were climbing up the hill)
    Average HR: 122
    Kcal: 1134
    Fat burn: 45 %
    Distance: 12,97 km
    Average speed: 4,6 km/h

Travess likes this.
  13. Nachi

In Prague there has been an event for the last few years I think I wrote about a few times called: A Week od Free Sports. In a holiday week from 25th to 31st December, various sport clubs or pools etc. offer for people to register and come enjoy the facilities or classes for free. I have partiipated several times and this year, a couple of days before the deadline, Sett and I thought it is time for our dojo to participate. We are now official instructors and we could afford to organize and do such an event even in a case sensei was too busy. We asked him first, though, and signed up our dojo for the event, to offer a couple of free classes - one on 26th, one on 27th.
    We signed up just around the deadline and there was a bit of technical trouble on the part of the website, which they were able to solve soon, luckily. Sensei said he would try to come for both of the trainings.
    Sensei announced there would be trainings for anyone from our dojo to come, so it would not be only beginners. It seemed like we wouldn't have too many attandees anyway, but some still count.

Thursday 26.12.2019

Week of Free Sports in the dojo

People were supposed to register with us before coming - either by writing me an email or calling me. I had one boy and a couple of friends registered. In the end, however, only the 13 year old boy arrived.
    Sensei arrived to the dojo soon as well. There was me and Sett, one brown belt and three kids from our classes. We did some games throwing pads for a warm-up, then most of the class we were rotating and did several combinations with the pads and everyone performed a kata at the end, to just show what we learn. The new boy seemed quite talented. I had a little trouble talking with his mum as they were from Ukraine and she didn't speak or understand Czech fluently, yet, but the boy seemed to have no trouble at all following instructions.
    After the class, sensei asked the two of us to stay for a bit and he went with us through Sanseru bunkai and Sepai kata once, which was awesome!
    I am working on putting a good description of that kata - everything I heard about it so far - on a paper.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:31 (I started it a bit late)
    Max HR: 184
    Average HR: 131
    Kcal: 687
    Fat burn: 32 %

Travess likes this.
  14. Nachi

Friday 27.12.2019

Week of Free Sports in the dojo

For the Friday training, people started reserving on Friday. I had 7 people reserve spots, however, one group of 3 did not come in the end. Still, we had four people - a young teenage boy, an 8 year old girl - their parents just sitting and watching in the dojo - and an adult couple.
    Sensei promised to come today if we have some newcomers coming, and he did, although a bit late. There were also the three kids from our dojo as yesterday, and a friend - an assistant instructor of the dojo.
    We started without sensei. Sett did a basic introduction of our style and dojo and for a warm-up we did some footwork, adding tsuki and even age-uke. Since Sett led them through a block and a tsuki, I thought we could try in pairs, although I did seem to be a tad too difficult.
    Sensei arrived and he also did a little bit of footwork, then explained tsuki in more detailed and we practised that for some time. He added yose-ashi (also a long slide forward), with tsuki or and easy block. We worked on these for most of the class. Sensei then split the class - he worked with the kids using pads, we took the adults and as per sensei's instructions taught mae geri, ushiro geri and did an exercise with them in two groups of three, and a bodyweight group exercise. We had a bit of time left, so we showed mawashi geri, too. At the end, there was again a kata demonstration.
    Oveall I think the training went well. The kids seem a bit more shy, but parents seemed to like the class. As for the adult couple, as they were on their way out of the dojo, they asked us about regular classes and if they could come right away or wait for some start of the term and how to go about payment. We explained they can just come and try a couple of free classes, unannounced, and we'll work out the details. If we gained a couple of new members, that would be awesome! Hopefully they won't change their mind.

Polar results:
    Time: 0:40 (Forgot to start the training until rather late in. The training had 90 minutes)
    Max HR: 158
    Average HR: 107
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 192
    Fat burn: 48 %

axelb and Travess like this.
  15. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

This is a pretty good idea - I think I will recommend to my Sensei that he might want to run a couple of 'open nights' in the new year - Thank you.

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  16. Nachi

No problem and good luck :) Hopefully you'll manage to spread the word to as many poeple as possible. Our sensei seemed happy about the event in the end, saying we should do an open training on every single day of that week, haha :D

17. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Ha Ha - My Sensei doesn't like 'People' enough for that, but a couple of times a year shouldn't be too bad.

Travess

18. Nachi

I spent a few days at a cottage with Sett and his friends to welcome the new year. I only went for one walk there, approx 6,5 km to watch birds.

3.1. 2020

Tai chi

Practising in the same format as usual, we learnt the fourth form. Apparently we only lack one more move to be able to practise these four formes chained together and practise them to all directions. Once we learn that, apparently next time, we'll just keep practising these four forms for some time.

19. Nachi

Saturday 4.1.

Finally got the courage to step on the weighing machine. Ugh. Just terrible. I gained maybe a couple of kg and I am at my heaviest of all time! :O I am, however, determined to do away with all that new fat before it gets too comfortable under my skin. Starting today.

So I had o other choice but do a bit of a kettlebell routine at home, not overdoing it and also practising the kata that I am learning and the taichi form.

Polar results:
    Time: 0:43
    Max HR: 166
    Average HR: 135
    Training benefit: Steady State & basic training
    Kcal: 342
    Fat burn: 31 %

Right after I went for a walk with my parents - approx. 7 km in 1:25 and 485 kcal.

20. Nachi

Sunday 5.1. 2020

Today was a beatigul day. The sun was shining and in the sun the temperature was really comfortable, too, so I was lured into the garden and weeded the couple of new flowerbeds. Then I went to cook lunch and after eating without delay went to prepare for going out on my footbike as I was planning. I started at 2:45 pm, so I was worried to make it back before sunset. I went to a place good for watching waterbirds in winter. It was a long time since I've been on my footbike and I really enjoyed it today, even though the brakes could use some tweaking.

Footbike:
    Time: 1:36 (all the breaks for watching birds or other included in that time as well as the average speed and HR and everything)
    Max HR: 172
    Average HR: 149
    Training benefit: Tempo training+
    Kcal: 909
    Fat burn: 22 %
    Didn't have much time to look for the computer or set my watch or whatever to measure distance properly, so I didn't. But after checking in the map carefully, the result was exectly as I remember this route to be - 15 km.

axelb likes this.