Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

The weather is terrible, it is only getting worse and the forecasts warn that it won't improve for a few weeks... It is hot and dry. There are trucks with barrels of water driving all day through the city, showering people and streets. It was around 35°C today and it's not raining at all lately.
    Anyway, the weather isn't supposed to improve in a while, so no reason to postpone exercising. I wanter to finish some drawing yesterday, so only went to crossfit today. I was reminded of Okinawa. Like then, I was completely sweaty after taking a shower and walking the terrifying distance of about 250 meters to the gym....

Thursday 2.8.:
    CrossFit:

Warm-up: Coach said that the advantage of this weather is that we don't really need to warm-up too much. Despite saying that, we had to do 4 rounds of: 5 inchworm push-ups, 10 side plank rotations per side and 2 laps run around the gym.

- Stretching

- Skill practise: Ring dips. More like ring drops for me, though :D We started with holding in the up position for 30 seconds, but I dropped off before then, then 10 secs holding in the down position which I could do somehow. Then we tried a couple of times, we were allowed to do the kipped ring dips (using legs to kick which helps with starting the pushing up). There were three guys and me today, guys did it, I just dropped after I reached the down position. I know we did this before, but all of us girls were allowed to use a rubber band. Even a small one helped. Coach first said I can take the band later, but then said to just try without it, on only do the negative motion as slow as possible. We were to do 4x5 ring dips. I may have done 4 in the first round, but then olways only 3, once only 2 before my arms just split apart and I couldn't keep them close to do the dip. Coach said if I can't do that anymore, to just let it be as that motion would be wrong and I should do everything with the right technique. I also shouldn't lower myself as low, which was quite hard as I had to stop myself at some point, not just drop down :D Coach said not to be upset about it, as 80% of the women there wouldn't be able to do that. I kind of thought that, too, though, as wasn't really upset, or... well I was :D Angry with me that I can't do such an easy-looking exercise :D

- Exercise II: 4 rounds of:
    - 6x military press - I started with an empty bar (15 kg), then added to 20 kg for a couple of rounds. My plan was originally to increase the weight to 25 after that, but I had trouble, so I lowered it back to 15 again. Booo, what a shame! I bet it was cause I was tired after the ring dips! Or my month long break...
    - 8 ring rows - I didn't go all too low with these and they were surprisingly easy. I thought I'd struggle much much more
    - 30 s heavy plank - I was wandering what a "heavy" plank meant. Was it with some weight on our back? Yep, just that. For guys it was a 20 kg disc, while I could choose between 10 or 15 kg one. I went for 15 kg, I can't go all that easy on myself. And I thought if I can't do it, I'll just take the lighter one. I just didn't know how to get it in position. I managed in the end, but held it on my head, neck and upper back. or the last two rounds, coach came our way and adjusted the discs so that they reached from my shoulder blades to my butt. I was sure this would be the heavier option, but I thought getting it on the lower back would be bad for the back. I didn't realise how wide and flat the disc was, so it didn't push on the lower back at all, but definitely was harder to hold up :D Coach counted the 30 seconds for me and the gyu next to me. "Come on, 15 more seconds! What is that? It's nothing compared to the whole hour! Hey, get your butt lower! Just a liiiitle bit, yep, that's it, but don't shake! Breath regularly and not gasp like that and no moaning!" Until he said stopped and I dropped flat and just cursed him. What do I have left to do if I can't even moan and curse? :D Is he crazy?

WoD:
    15 min AMRAP:

1, 2, 3, 4... and so on of:
    - Thrusters - Rx: 40 kg for guys, 30 kg for girls
    - Burpees jumping laterally over the barbell

30 kg was a lot for thrusters and coach emphasised that technique comes first so we can take less. I, however, tried it, as I was sure this WoD will be terrible and my head was spinning a little since the stretching. Yep, and it was getting worse especially with the burpees - going up and down. I rested more than I worked out. I really didn't feel like it today. Until coach sent me to get some fresh air outside. I spent there, however, longer than planned, as there was some guy asking what the gym was about and what type of exercise is that, membership and such as he lives close and would like to start exercising. I finally stopped it when he started asking my opinion on urbanism and the new building project in the area. I got back to the gym, but only had like 30 s left of the WoD. I managed to do 7 thrusters in a row (it was my turn for the round of 7 reps) and finished. I got various comments from the coach that he shouldn't even bump fists with me today for this, but I argued I just advertised their gym properly, which he dismissed as excuses instead of being thankful, hmph! :D Weeeell, I hope next time goes better!

I did't get that high max HR as expected, but still got quite a high average HR and calories. Probably cause of the heat...

Polar results:
    Time: 1:07
    Max HR: 173
    Average HR: 140
    Training benefit: Steady state & Tempo training
    Kcal: 576
    Fat burn: 28 %

Travess and axelb like this.
  2. Nachi

I spent the weekend at a cottage, though a different one, again. So no real working out, but an hour-long walk and a little bit of swimming during our visits to a swimming pond nearby.

Monday 6.8.:

CrossFit:

Today's weather is like 2°C better, maybe. No matter the weather, though, I can't be slacking all the time. Today's training was ok, not overly exhausting, but it was sweaty again and I really got worse and weaker after the break I'd say.

- Warm-up: 2 rounds of: 30 jumping jacks, 30 s hollow hold, 20 air squats

- Stretching

- Some work with an empty bar - good mornings, kangaroo squats (if that was the name), cleans, jerks, presses, push presses, fronts squats and whatnot

- 8 rounds 1:30 min long. Every round do 1 squat clean + jerk. And 20 double or 60 single unders. Add weight, go heavy. I wasn't overdoing it, though, the barbell felt heavier than usual. I went from 30 kg to 45 kg.

- 6 rounds of 3 front squats. Add weight, until heavy, but go down slowly, 3 seconds, quickly up. This thing makes the whole work-out much harder. Again, I think I used to be able to squat more like this, but I still wasn't overdoing anything and going from 35 kg to 50 kg seemed enough...

- short WoD:
    - 21 wallballs (14 lbs)
    - 21 kettlebell high-pulls (20 kg for women)
    - 15 wallballs
    - 15 kettlebell high-pulls
    - 9 wallballs
    - 9 kettlebell high-pulls

I finished with below-average time, I'd say, 4:27. I took breaks and I was breathing heavy. Spent the whole WoD in my 5th HR zone again. Some guys probably didn't stop from start to finish, one finished just a second before the 3rd minute was over. Crazy. Today there were 7 gus and poor old me, soooo, I wasn't very stressed as I was telling myself, sure, they're gonna be better. But there was nothing nasty like the pull-ups for once, so I did the RX weights at least.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:04
    Max HR: 183
    Average HR: 140
    Training benefit: Tempo & Maximum training
    Kcal: 546
    Fat burn: 27 %

3. Nachi

I am starting to hate the heat. I skipped Wednesday's CrossFit. It just felt too much. And it was supposed to be the warmest day. Along with today. But I really didn't want to skip class again, so I went. At least 35°C today, at some places it was supposed to be 38°C. I am melting.

Thursday 9.8.

CrossFit:

For some reason, it wasn't very crowded today :D Because of karate kids classes I can't usually make it on Thursdays so I don't know this coach much.

- Warm-up: 3 rounds of: 200 m rowing, 8 kettlebell push-presses (12 kg), 13 m walking lunges, 6 push ups, 13 walking lunges back.
    Wow, I was all sweaty just after this....

- Stretching. We started with elbow up and hand placed i between shoulderblades, pulling the elbow with the other hand. There were only a couple of guys, me, and coach. Coach looked at me, frowned a little and told me to stop it, he didn't like what I was doing. I thought my technique in this was somehow bad, so I was just opening my mouth to ask, when he continued: "I am not as flexible, and I don't like when someone can do better than me. So stop it." Aha! :D We proceeded with some leg stretching, when, also I would say based on the fact I am female, I was quite a bit more flexible. I never know whether I am doing these exercises in a right way as the way we were shown wasn't really any kind of stretching. I got a lot more comments about what the hell I was doing. And if I do yoga or what. Hehe, thanks karate! :D It turned into: "Can you do the splits? Hm, hm, aaand: Can you lift 100 kg? No? Well, we can! Can you drive a tractor? Can you drive a tank? Well, I can!" And now, let's do some work out, we'll start with push-ups. Your splits will surely be useful there!" And all sorts of sarcastic remarks :mad:
    Well, at the end of the day, I am still more flexible :p Maybe I should visit one of this coaches stretching classes which I was thinking about anyway :D

- 4 rounds of:
    - 5 Handstand push-ups
    - 10 bent-over rows (2x12 kg kettlebells)
    - 15 weighted sit-ups
    - I took a 5 kg disc to hold in front of me
    - 1 min rest

WoD:

8 min AMRAP:
    - 8 thrusters (25 kg for women)
    - 40 double or 120 single-unders

2 min rest followed by:

6 min AMRAP:
    - 6 thrusters (25 kg for women)
    - 30 double or 90 single-unders

I don't particularly like thrusters, but at least there were no pull-ups and stuff I can't do. Well, I can't do double-unders, but single-unders are always a way and I am improving my speed :) To the point that I was the only one finishing 4 rounds in the first part. Although the rope got progressively more often caught under my feet. I did 4 rounds and 8 thrusters in the first part => 4+8 and 3 rounds, 6 thrusters and 15 jumps in the second => 3+21

I was completely wet, even literally drinking my sweatdrops while skipping. They were salty, stinging in my eyes, my hear got all stuck to me and it was all meh. And I feel like the shower didn't help all that much :D

Polar results:
    Time: 1:05
    Max HR: 184
    Average HR: 146
    Training benefit: Maximum training (out of the 16 min of the WoD, I spent 12:13 in the 5 HR zone)
    Kcal: 601
    Fat burn: 24 %

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Cardio in the heat is unbearable! I'm not sure how people in hot countries train all the time.

Good on you for keeping at it, i have sweat bands because if the sweat in the eyes thing. Head and arm sweat bands like a tennis player :D

Nachi likes this.
  5. Nachi

I have no idea, either :D

That is a good tip! I actually have a headband for keeping sweat and hair in check, but... I look a bit silly in it... :oops:

axelb likes this.
  6. Nachi

My weekend was, uh, harsh. We went to a friends wedding on Saturday and... I drank a glass too much. There was an improvised bar with stuff we all brought and apparently, I was the only one drinking red wine there. Most people drank beer. Anyway, the barman remembered me quite soon and was kind enough to count how much I just drank. Which wasn't very difficult, but when he was opening a third bottle for me, I got some remarks. That and three, although tiny shots, and I regretted a lot on Sunday :confused: But the wedding was great ^^
    I got better in the afternoon, luckily, so I was able to do a nearly an hour and a half long walk and swim in a pond for half an hour. What started as a full "I will never leave this bed" day turned out quite active, surprisingly :D Well, at least I made my daily goal by 178%.

Walk: 1:23, roughly over 6 km, average HR 120 bpm, 541 kcal burnt

Swimming: 0:32, average HR 128 bpm, 240 kcal burnt

axelb likes this.
  7. Nachi

Monday 13.8.

CrossFit:

- WU: 1000 m rowing

- Stretching

- Good mornings, cangaroo squats and practise with an empty bar and moving onto 6 rounds of 1 complex consisting of: 1 power clean, 1 hang power clean, 1 front squat, 1 jerk, 1 split jerk, put barbell down
    First we warmed up with a lighter weight (25 kg), then started a bit heavier, well, I didn't go very much heavier and adding. I started with 30 kg and went up to 45 kg. Which was the limit, mostly for the hand clean. Even now I had to try twice as I failed for the first time, and the technique probably wasn't anything worth watching. But the coach went to each of us to watch one set. He watched me at 40 kg and Said I was doing ok! :) Just that I was a bit wobbly with the split jerk. Which I know, I am not that confident with it...

- 4 rounds of:
    - 12 double kettlebell (goblet?) squats
    - 30 s overhead double kettlebell hold
    - rest

We could start light, so I took a couple of 8 kg kettlebells. Planning to move to 12 kg, 16 would be too much, guys took that, not all even, and the one in front of me, who is crazy strong was all shaky with the overhead hold. After one round with 2 x 8 kg I gave the kettlebell to my friend who needed it and did the next three rounds with 2 x 12 kg kettlebells.

- WoD: 10 min AMPRAP:
    - 10 push-ups
    - 20 sit-ups
    - 30 alternating lunges
    - 40 double or 120 single unders

- Cool! Finally some bodyweight WoD with feet mostly planted to the floor! (I mean no pull-ups) :) I enjoyed this one. I was keeping pace with the fastest guy, well, until the skipping. Because, I just learned how to do 80 single unders while he does 40 doubles, which is how it should be, I guess, but we unfortunately had triple the amount :( So at least in the first couple of rounds, he always gained those 40 jumps on me, then he probably got faster overall as I struggled more with the push-ups and had slower lunges, I think. I finished 3 rounds, and did a part of the fourth, up to 14 lunges, so my result: 3+44.
    I complained to the coach a little that I think the triple amount of single unders compared to doubles is unfair. Well, he told me I should finally learn double unders.... Grrrr. But he's right, I know that. I even have my own rope, I just don't have place and time for it, atm. I could, as he suggested, always come 10 mins early to the gym, but... who wants to tire themselves just before training? :D

Polar results:
    Time: 1:09 (I set tart a bit early, we didn't start until 5 mins after that)
    Max HR: 180
    Average HR: 141
    Kcal: 604
    Fat burn: 26 %

8. Nachi

This week was a bit of a lazy one when it came to working-out. I did stop by the dojo, but only to help paint the walls. It is in a state not fit for exercising right now.
    I didn't have time for crossfit because of that, either, I postponed it to Friday, but we again went to our family cottage, so no cf. I at least went swimming to the pond, as the days are pretty hot.

Friday 17.8.

Pond swimming:
    Time: 0:30
    Max HR: 132
    Average HR: 124
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 216
    Fat burn: 35 %

Saturday:

Short, around 2,5 km walk and again pond swimming:
    Time: 0:32
    Max HR: 131
    Training benefit: Basic training
    Kcal: 232
    Fat burn: 35 %

Sunday: Rest day. We went to a very nice tea festival, the rest of the day I spent working on a project, like most of my evenings now.

axelb likes this.
  9. Nachi

Monday 20.8.

CrossFit:

- WU: 3 rounds: (30 double) or 60 single-unders and plank and 14x rais hands - one by one ;)

- Stretching

- Some stretching exercise with and empty bar - 7 good mornings, 7 kangaroo squats, strict presses, fromnt squats, hand power cleans and a preparation for the next exercise:

- 10-min EMOM: Each minute do 2 clusters (one cluster: Barbell into a clean falling fight into a front squat and from it going explosively up right into a thruster). A nice flowy exercise, but I was sure I wouldn't be able to pull it well with too much of a weight. We were told to add so I started with only 25 kg and didn't go past 35 kg.

- Work-out: 5 rounds of: 4 front squats (I took 45 kg, but in the end didn't feel like adding anything, purely because of): and 3 laps not too slow run, 1 min rest.
    I could already feel the run was draining me and I was breathing heavy from the previous clusters and from the run now. Man, my fitness has gone one holidays with me, but hasn't returned yet :D

- WoD:
    - 8 min AMRAP:
    - 2, 4, 6,.... of:
    - Power cleans: 50 kg for men, 35 kg for women (10 kg heavier than usually as there's not that many reps)
    - Burpees with jumping over barbell

- I knew this would be tough so I didn't even attempt to go too fast. In half of the time and a few seconds I finished the round of 8 ceans and 8 burpees, but then till the time limit, I only finished the round of 10 and did 4 more cleans. I did the cleans one by one by this time. It takes energy to put the barbell down, too, and since the barbell was heavy enough I could throw it so I did. I didn't exactly struggle with the weight now, more with the cardio part. Meaning I didn't feel like I am too tired to do the next clean, but stopping to calm my breath down a bit. To be honest I also, ehm, was a little lazy to do the power cleans properly - when you finish on somewhat bent legs, only then streighten up with the barbell already in place. It probably is meant to make it easier, which is true for the bigger weights, but for me at this point I found in easier to pull hard and the beginning and throw the barbell up without attempting anything remotely resembling a squat. I had a bit "just throw it up" attitude, so I let the barrbell just fall on my shoulders a little, which wasn't the best solution, so I tried to eliminate it. A bit at least. Finished and round of 10 reps and did 4 more cleans. Slightly worse than most people, although basically everyone finished the round of 10, and a few, like the guy next to me, went crazy any finished the round of 12, too.
    I need to get back in form....

Polar results:
    Time: 1:08
    Max HR: 179
    Average HR: 143
    Kcal: 601
    Fat burn: 24 %

axelb and Travess like this.
  10. Nachi

Tuesday 22.8.

I originally planned a lazy day today, but... I was itching to do something between drawing and... drawing. So I went for a walk, switching between walking and some light jogging.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:10
    Distance: 8,2 km (Polar didn't work well today, stopping at 1,8 km, so this is all according to a map. But quite accurate, I'd say)
    Max HR: 169
    Average HR: 139
    Training benefit: Steady State & Tempo training
    Kcal: 561
    Fat burn: 31 %

axelb likes this.
  11. Nachi

Wednesday 22.8.

For today I had crossfit planned. Yesterday I pulled a muscle in my calf a tiny bit and as usual, lately, I slept less than I wanted to, so I wasn't feeling exactly energetic, but... I still needed some break between drawing, so I went.

CrossFit:

...and regretted it a little as soon as I saw today's program on the board...

- Instructor realised it, probably, so he gave us only a light warm-up: 2 rounds of 100 single-unders and 5 inchworms or what it was - more of a stretching exercise. I have my single-unders practised to the high speed, so I was able to finish forst and get a bit of a break. It was also the last thing where I finished first, or, well, didn't finish last today :D It was three guys and me and I kind of new from the start and decided to not push things.

- Stretching

- 8 min AMRAP:
    - 2 laps run
    - 10 deadlifts
    - 10 power cleans

- This was supposed to not be too hard and we were told to go easy at it. With a light weight - 25 kg for me - because of the power cleans, but the same weight went for deadlifts. I think I did around three rounds?

- Strenght:
    - 4 rounds of (not for time):
    - 4 power cleans (touch & go) - were supposed to be heavier. I again wasn't overdoing things, and stuck with 35 kg.
    - 400 m rowing

- And finally a WoD full of stuff I don't like... it was just missing pull-ups to be "perfect" :D
    - 18 min time cap
    - 3 rounds of:
    - 400 m run
    - 20 thrusters (25 kg for women)
    - 3 rope climbs or 5 wall climbs (feet go up the wall, hands go to the wall, facing it)

Just as I started running I knew I won't push myself too hard today as this was going to be tough anyway. And I was breathing quite heavy even during the previous work-out and my goal was to survive this :D
    - I was last from the very beginning, but skipped the break after the first round. Still, I lost everyone at the end. I thought to try the rope climb. I haven't practised it, but was thinking maybe it's better than the wall climb, at least I don't need to be upsite down. But, of course, it was clear to me that after I've done the thrusters, my opinion may change. And it did :D I just hopped on the rope, but realised my arms were tired and I wasn't feeling like going through this. Also, with wall climbs, if my arms gave in, at least I won't fall from high :D Still, I prefer stuff with my feet on the ground... The wall-climbs were tiring and all the blood rishing to my head was even a bit painful. So I did one at a time and only went running, when the guys were returning from the run. Took it easy and the time cap sounded just when I finished the second round. And I had no regrets at all :D At least I didn't have to run again. No one from our group finished all the rounds. The fastest guy managed to do some thrusters of the third round even, but... well how much I didn't finish didn't play such a big part :D At least not for me ^^

There was too much cardio today. And I really do feel like I used to cope better with it. Still, it's hot and I suck at it. The polar results reflect quite accurately how I felt :D

Polar results:
    Time: 1:08
    Max HR: 179 (not that high and I haven't even spent that much time in the 5th HR zone - only over a couple of minutes)
    Average HR: 150 (yep, this was part of the problem, too much cardio overall!)
    Training benefit: Tempo training+ (tempo training would be just how I'd describe it. I spent over 34 minutes in the 4th HR zone)
    Kcal: 658 (at least I'll be slim, though :D I need to go on a diet again...)
    Fat burn: 21 % (ok, maybe not slim, but fit at least!!!)

axelb likes this.
  12. Nachi

Sunday 26.8.

Today was quite a busy day in a good way. The main activity was a longer walk:

Polar results:
    Time: 1:56
    Distance: around 9 km
    Max HR: 169
    Training benefit: Basic & Steady State training, long
    Kcal: 802
    Fat burn: 40 %

It says I made 21000 steps that days and burned over 2600 kcal. Which was somewhat balanced out by how much I've eaten in an Indian restaurant we went to afterwards :D

Travess likes this.
  13. Nachi

Monday 27.8.

I usually get around 6,5 hours of sleep these days, sometimes less. Working hard on a project. Despite that, today, my Polar shows particularly lower HR during the night (45 bmp) and especially during day (41 bpm). So, since when I am not feeling very well, it usually rises. I am writing this down because I decided to go to crossfit today, and... I didn't end up feeling too good there :D

CrossFit:

- Today normal coach was absent and the class was lead by the head coach and owner of the gym. She's really nice, really good, probably the best, or at least in the country and did well on some international competitions, too. But she's a devil incarnate :D
    As soon as I saw today's program, I new this would be bad :D

- Warm-up - luckily quite light run, for cca 1 km.
    - Stretching

- 30 s shuttle runs, 60 s rest, 5 rounds - this is where the hell started, if I don't count the warm-up as I hate when we have to run :D
    - First round was quite ok, I kept up with the guys, even outran one of them. Did probably 9 distances. But I had just about enough. I significantly slowed during the next round, starting with which, I always ended up last. Not that I cared much. I did 8 distances, but was breathing hard and the minute of rest wasn't enough. Coach adviced us to massage the legs so they don't stiffen up. Not my problem. I just wanted to catch my breath :D Legs were just fine. After the third round, I did always 7,5 distances, was always out of breath, always collapsed down to sit, coach always noticed me after like 10 s and urged me not to sit since my leg will get stiff. Again, that was not my problem. After this I felt like I won't catch my breath until the end. And I was very right.

- We didn't even get much of a break before we started an 12 min EMOM, alternating exercises:
    - 4x touch and go clean & jerk and 8 burpee box jump-overs
    - we were told to get a weight that we'd be able to do well with, not compromising the technique. Coach went around advising, I was a bit worried, thinking I may start with 25 and see then. But she asked if I could do 25, which surprised me. I said I definitely can and did that. Clean & jerks were easy, usually I even finished them first, burpees, although I wasn't particularly in a hurry, were where it went wrong. There was some time to rest, especially after the c&j, but not enough. I seriously didn't catch my breath since the shuttle runs. Somewhere at about the fourth rounds, I could feel my breath getting a bit too difficult for my comfort. I was trying to breath deeply, even aloud, no one would here anyway, but... I felt the direction it has taken wan't a good one to the poing when I didn't feel like I could just get up and continue. Coach noticed and I just told her I am going to grab my inhalator. This hasn't happened to me in a while and honestly, I thought I am past the trouble :/ Well, whatever. Inhaled 4x (although as I don't use it and don't renew it so it has to be way past its expiration day). I don't use it, but still keep it with me for physical activities, to be safe. And never fail to bring it with me to crossfit :D
    It did wonders and I could even run back. Coach told me I can rest or just do less reps, but I assured her I am like a new human (at least that is what we say in Czech :D) and finished the EMOM.

Unfoooortunately... we didn't have time for breaks and went straight to the ugly-looking WOD:
    - 3 rounds for time (time cap 17 mins)
    - 10 deadlifts (35 kg Rx, coach advised me to take less, so I did 30 kg, because the grip will be failing and she was right. It wasn't because the deadlifts would be hard, but:)
    - 10 hang power cleans - same weight - so 30 kg for me
    - 20 wall-balls (14 lbs)
    - 20 toes-to-bars - I was satisfied with my knees to elbows :)

So the start was ok. I thought to conserve my strenght and not overdo this, so I took break in between the cleans and a couple of breaks in the wall balls. More on the horizontal bar, I suck there. Unfortunately... at somewhere around the 2nd round's wallballs, my throat was tightening again. I had plenty of strenght in me, but didn't have the air. I sat down a little and tried to fight it, but I couldn't find it in me to pick up the ball again. Coach watched me probably and came if I am fine. I don't know if you're familiar with being really out of breath, but... in my case, as it once happened before, tears threatened to come up my eyes, kind of involuntarily, not becuse of how I felt and more over... it is really hard to speak! So I thried to, but couldn't, just got out a few words about my inhalator. Coach wass supportive, asked if I needed help, but I was fine. Just the breathing was harder. In the changing room I met my friend. I probably didn't look as good, although I was smiling and everything, but couldn't breath and talk. She helped me get my stuff out of the bag as I threw the inhalator back down under all the mess I had there. I took 3 or 4 breaths and took it with me to the gym. Again, it helped, but I was more careful. I decided to continue, but slowly, carefully. Taking this tiny break was fine, I felt all energized. But... when going for the last round deadlifts, despite not feeling any significant muscle tiredness, it was like my body didn't listen to me. I started shaking a bit and when I lifted the barbell, my calves, especially the right one, started shaking like crazy. So, I took a few breaks. I was gathering my strenght for the cleans, but... knowing my muscles got all wobbly, I was more worried about those. And then I started shaking all over. Not cold, not terribly tired, not out of breath, but I couldn't help it. And if I took some weight up, I was sure the wild shaking of my legs must be possible to see even from afar :/ Sure enough, the coach saw, took me, my stuff, and sat me down, worried if this is normal, if I had some attack or what. I sat there for several minutes. Especially my legs still shaking like crazy. Otherwise I was feeling really fine. But it took me some thinking how to go about tidying my place - the barbell and such. I didn't feel like I couldn't, but... honestly I wasn't sure what'll happen when I stand up and walk or go with some weight. In case... just in the unlikely case I fell, it would be pretty embarassing as the gym was full of people by now XD Luckily, while walking, legs didn't shake, so I managed. I just dropped the medicine ball once, holding it up on one shoulder. On my way to the changing room, I went by the board, curious if coach wrote me down, that I didn't finish or didn't write my name at all. I was there. With a big smiley face next to my name :D Haha, that made me smile, too :D

I am fine now, but still shaking a bit. Met a milk from the farm car and bought a cheese and milk. Was first in a queue. I was handing the driver a note, but... When I almost got it to him, I dropped it, let it go with the wind for a bit. Gosh :D
    Still. Something similar happened to me a few times. But I usually cough a lot after it, which wasn't really thee case today. I don't remember shaking that much, though. It was because of the heavy exercise, but I have a hunch the breathing issue had to had something to do with it :/

Still, lately, I am not getting very high max HRs. I am really less fit now, I'd guess. It was the case today, too. I will put here even the graph. It was a hard training. and it's probably the most calories I ever burned in that time :D Or maybe one of two cases at least.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:13 (I took some time to get up and go to the changing room and stop the recording)
    Max HR: 179
    Average HR: 155 (this was crazy! And I even stopped at the end and went to get my inhalator a couple times!)
    Training benefit: Tempo training+
    Kcal: 242
    Fat burn: 18 % - I am not sure if I ever had something that low in an hour long training...

[​IMG]

axelb likes this.
  14. Nachi

As for Monday's aftermath, I felt well after the training, except for the shaking that was going away gradually and a slight headache. I took a look at my inhaler. It seems these two are the side effects of the medication. I probably took too much. Well, my doctor told me it is ok to breath up to 8 or 10 times a day, but maybe not in such a quick succession. And all while exercising... Not sure, but that would explain things. I'll know for the next time.
    Also I chatted with a friend there, who is an older woman, but stronger and generally better than me and she also complained about Monday that the training was crazy, she felt like fainting and wasn't coping well, either. I was only glad to hear that I wasn't the only one struggling and that it wasn't only my notion that the training was terrifying :D

Thursday 30.8.

CrossFit:

- Warm-up - around a 1 km run (dang, again!)
    - Stretching - the instructor, though I don't attend many of his classes apparently remembered me as soon as we started stretching. He reminded me not to push my knee that much to the side. Only a little. He said that with serious face so I thought, ok, that is probably too much. Until he continued: I don't like when you do that! Coach should be the best! :'D
    Unfortunately, that was about hte only think that went well today XD

- When I saw the program, it looked like it would be quite difficult (although far from this Monday's level), but it wasn't. Not physically, but technically maybe? It was full of exercises I really struggle with :/ Although not that incredibly exhausting...

- Skill: Toes to bars - great. I can get my toes to the bars, literally do what's asked, but... the instructor wanted us to get there by swinging fast, not by engaging belly muscles too much. However, I can't do that, as I am afraid (and for a good reason!) that I'd fall off the bar. My grip is sooo weak I can't hold there, so I basically never realyl practised that kipping motion much. Instructor saw my gloves and wasn't surprised as they were too thick. And since I have small hands it is hard to hold, adding the gloves worsens the whole thing. Yep, I know that much, but, I told him: "I can't really do that or properly practise, unless you tie me up there or something!" .... And he did XD He brought a pair of those... whatever they're called... bands that you can use to strenghten your grip particularly for deadlifts, I think. He used them to tie my hands to the horizontal bar, which was awesome! :D I did four in a row (although with a bad technique, not enough swinging), before the bands started slipping still and I yet again held on the tips of my fingers. :D There were two other women today and they looked at it sceptically at the beginning, but in the end both tried, after I proclaimed how awesome it was. They both had the same problem as me, although my grip was definitely the worst... :/

- 12 min EMOM, alternating 3 exercises:
    - climb the rope 2x
    - 8 handstand push-ups
    - 30 s plank

:/
    Thank god for the plank! I tried climbing the rope. I could. Once. But found that getting down was more difficults. I couldn't get a good enough grip with my feet. Since then my feet were slipping badly on the way up, too and I never really climbed it again. Guess I was tired and the rope is not in the best shape anymore, either. I had pieces of rope like everywhere...
    Instead of push-ups, I was allowed to just hold in the handstand for 30 s, which wasn't very difficult.

- WOD - 12 min AMRAP:
    - 10 goblet squats (16 kg kettlebell)
    - 15 toes to bars
    (seriously, whyyyyy?! :eek:)
    - 15 kettlebell swings (16 kg)
    - 10 burpees

This all looks ok and doable, except for the toes to bars. Just as expected, they slowed me down a lot. My grip was tired from trying previously, so I basically soon couldn't maintain it for even one rep with the gloves. Without them I could do them one at a time, but it hurt a bit. Luckily I didn't tear the skin too much. I was seriously struggling there. First coach told me to practise that swing. When he saw that by the end of one rep I am hanging by the tips of my fingers, he sent me for chalk and told me, ok, do one at a time, but swing forward and back a little before it. I tried, but had to take longer and longer breaks in between then. Then he told me when I really can't hold there anymore, to do sit-ups instead. I offered I'd even do push-ups, something harder, I am not trying to slack off, but I just can't do this. He told me it's fine to do sit-ups, so I did. Still, by this time, I was quite a bit behind everyone else. In the end, the sit-ups helped and I did all the other exercises without breaks within each exercise and managed to finish 3 rounds like everyone else and did 10 goblet squats. I was still last, but at least not by that much. But I gave up those toes to bars and I really feel bad. Dang, I need to do something about me hanging on that damn bar! I should go on a diet again :mad:

Today's training wasn't very draining in the end. Which also shows as I haven't used so many kcal and my average HR was also much lower, but... for some reason I got a hihger max HR compared to last time, when we were sprinting and such and I was seriously "dying" there :/ I don't understand it anymore. Maybe alternating cario (burpees) with something strenght-oriented (goblet squats) would bring higher HR? Idk. But if I look at the graph, it is precisely where my HR spiked.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:06
    Max HR: 181
    Average HR: 134
    Training benefit: Tempo training
    Kcal: 541
    Fat burn: 28 %

15. axelb

A lot of asthma inhalers have that effect, :( I noticed it more when I haven't used the blue ventolin for a while, then I get the shakes from the adrenalin release.
    Makes me feel very odd o_O

Nachi likes this.
  16. Nachi

Yep, mine's Ventolin, too. I had no idea it had that effect, and I use it like once a year, sooo... I definitely felt funny. I was ok, but couldn't hold myself still. Legs shaking like crazy and writing on a keybord or drawing was a bit of a challenge :D

axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

My training is rather sporadic lately. On Sunday we've been to the dojo and spent around 6 hours there, but only to cut and lay new carpets and move some stuff. Monday I've had a thai massage and decided to skip crossfit that day, so that I have some time to work on my comic. The contest deadline is approaching and seriously, once I finish this chapter, first thing I'm gonna do is catch up on sleep. :/

Tuesday 4.9.18

CrossFit:

Last time after all those ttb (toes-to-bars, I'm going to use the shortcut, as it's too long) some of my calluses tore, but I had enough time to grow some new skin, there, although soft and tender ^^ So... I wasn't particularly happy when I saw the board with ttb practise and ttb EMOM :eek: Someone must hate me.

- Warm-up:
    4 rounds of: 250 m rowing, 30 s handstand hold (by the wall, as always), 10 ktb swings (12 kg). It was me and three guys again. They were cheating, though, and made those 30 s into 15 and since we all always got to the exercise at the same time, I cheated too ^^

- Stretching

- TGU - 3x per side. Guys were told to grap 16 kg, I was told to get 12 kg, so I didn't go heavier. 12 kg wasn't a great challenge, so I finished rather soon. I was told not to rush and I tried not to, but did it at a comfortable pace and at least could take a break before the guys finished :D

- EMOM - 12 min, alternating 3 exercises (her goes):
    - 10 alternating side kettlebell snatches (12 kg)
    - 30 s heavy plank - with a 10 kg disc. I was told to get 5, but I voluntarily picked 10 since last time I did with 15. But guys had 15, so... I won't put myself in a disadvantage :D. Also the coach always came to adjust and put the disc on the lower back-butt, so it was working us out properly
    - 12 ttbs - yep, I took gloves to kkeep my tender new skin tender and not to tear it off, but somehow I was even more terrible than usual. I fell down all the time. Coach spent the most time with me, trying to get me not to muscle my toes to the bar (which I'd rather do compared to the swing which always makes me lose my grip), but wasn't allowed. The coach found out, the same as me, that my hands are small, my gloves are thick and I just can't do that. Although, I think soon my fingers will get pretty strong, because since I started crossfit, I have done quite a bit of hanging there by their tips :D Anyway, I think I wasn't the only one depressed from my performance, I think hte coach was, too, as it seemed it was painful for him to even watch me XD I also got a new piece of info. I thought I was supposed to swing my legs up, nicely and gracefully, with legs outsretched, but coach said no to that, I have to bend my knees and make a pose like sitting on a toilet. Great :D It was hard to focus on both my grip and bending knees and the right swing, so I usually messed two things of that. And I did again, and again, so the coach said if I do that one more time, I am going for a run :eek::eek::eek: Hell noooooooooo .... not that I did any better. He left and after a while returned with what were probably his gloves, that were thinner. And big. So I tried them on and... actually did 3 reps in one go! Not saying with a good technique, but it still made the coach sing hallelujah XD But the gloves were big and although they helped me hold up there, they didn't protect my calluses, so after a while I returned them, since I didn't want to stain it with my blood as I already tore one :/ I still tried a few reps without gloves with a bit more success, but still.

- WoD: 15 min AMRAP:
    - 6 handstand push-ups
    - 9 overhead squats 25 kg)
    - 12 box jump-overs

- Yep, handstand push-ups yet again. I was allowed to only hold in the handstand for 30 s, but I decided to take a lot (3) ab mats to put under my head so I don't have to do too big a movement (read as: nearly no movement XD). I did try, though. I wanted to just maybe try to muscle them up to get the feel for it, which worked before coach came for my second round. Since he learned I do karate, he also began to approximate some of the movements to mae or mawashi geri. I have to ask him if he did karate, too, or what :) Anyway, I actually managed to do the push-ups! The coach said there is nothing difficult about it if I get the technique right and nothing can go wrong. I opposed, that I can actually fall. He was surprised, how would you possibly fall? BAM! Like that.... I have to praise his patience, though, he always came for my next rounds to help and advise me. I am thankful, too, although very shallow, I managed them and had the opportunity to get the feel for them. Even if I did do them really slowly as not to fall and toward sthe end, I probably didn't lock my shoulders properly in the upper position as I was tired and rested not up, but down with my head on all the mats.
    I also always had to take a short break to catch my breath before the push-ups and overhead squats, too. I finished probably 4? rounds and all the push-ups and all the squats (4+13).

At the end the coach even showed me some weight lifting straps, so that I can always bring them with me and tie myself to the horizontal bar for stuff like ttbs XD I hope other coaches would allow it, too.

Polar results:
    Time: 1:16
    Max HR: 181
    Training benefit: Tempo training+
    Kcal: 708
    Fat burn: 23 %

Today, the class actually felt a bit more relaxed compared to what the Polar shows. But... maybe I burned calories faster from frustration :D

axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

I don't know the reasons, but there weren't nearly any people signed for today's classes. In fact, for the one I usually go to, I was alone... So I sort of had a private lesson. :)
    The first thing I did was to check the board to make sure there were no TTBs today! And, contrary to expectations, there actually were! :eek: Omg, I felt like crying. My hands are still tender, one callus is still torn that washing dishes hurts me and... there are TTBs yet again?
    I seriously think someone is putting some of the exercises in batches that there are usually several weeks or few months, where there is always this one exercise in every training I go to! And it is always a nasty one :D When I started, we did burpees for months. Not long ago, it was pull-ups, which I can't do, but at least, can use the band for help. And now this. This may actually be the worst so far, even though the exercise by itself is probably the easiest of these...

CrossFit:

- Warm-up: 3 rounds (in the end I was told to do 2, it was taking long): 20 kcal rowing (=350 m), 20 good mornings with only a plastic stick, 20 lunges with that same stick, 20 burpees :eek:

- Stretching

- Skill training: Pistol squats. Yep, can't do them. To be precise, I can't get to the low position and not losing balance, touching the leg to the floor or taking the standing heel off. So I was told to try using rings to support myself and try to lean forward more, then a rack, later I was given a disc under the standing heel if that would help. It did. It turns out the problem may not be my too big and heavy butt as I thought XD but lack of mobility in the ankles or shortened calves. Those are usually the troubles, but I was told I am flexible enough. However, I think the calf/ankle mobility may be the problem. When a friend did some diagnosis on me, I think he mentioned problem with calves. I'll have to stretch more!

- 4 rounds of:
    - 10 push-ups (weighted - I got a 5 kg disc on my back, the coach wasn't very nice XD). On the other hand he told me I can do them on my knees, women are usually allowed, but that is something I didn't want to do for a change :D I need to practise proper push-ups
    - 10 ring rows (there was a not about additional weight, too, but I didn't get that, luckily, and was told to go low instead. I did... well, maybe not that awesomely low, but enough to make it a bit of a challenge, but not to die there :D)
    - 15 weighted sit-ups (5 kg disc I have to touch to the ground when up and down, too).
    - 1 min rest

- WoD: 14 min AMRAP:
    - 10 alternating pistol squats (I did them with holding onto the rings, was told to not do them as slow as I did, but that meant losing balance more and using the rings more to help pull me up... but it was what I was told to do)
    - 15 toes-to-bars :( - I had to wear gloves, but they are, idk, becoming more and more slippery or what. It was terrible, I was slipping all the time, only doin knees to elbows, without the kip, although coach tried to get me to do it, but once I swung a little, I didn't have enough grip to actually go up. It was soooo baaaad
    - 20 wallballs (6 kg)
    - 25 box jumps

- When getting to the box jumps in the first round already, I realised they were pretty hard to do. My legs were jelly by this time - ppistol squats and the wallballs contributed, too. I only finished 2 rounds and did 3 more pistol squats. Not many people to compare to, but it is quite clear to me that it was a pretty bad result. My fitness still hasn't gotten to where it used to be before I took the summer break. I am also never reaching very high max HRs :/

Polar results:
    Time: 1:07
    Max HR: 180
    Training benefit: Tempo & Steady State training
    Kcal: 619
    Fat burn: 22 %

Frodocious, axelb and Travess like this.
  19. axelb

I had similar issue with pistol as I mostly practiced them barefoot, doing it in trainers or lifting shoes helped because of the slight heel elevation made up for my ankle mobility.
    I also found it hard on my hip flexor holding the front leg out, I'm not sure if that was flexibility or general hip flexor strength issues that contributed to it.

Nachi likes this.
  20. Nachi

I was doing them with crossfit (I don't know if they are any different from lifting) shoes on... but I am nowhere near being able to achieve the right position. The elevation of heel (5 cm + shoes, maybe?) helped, but still wasn't completely enough, I think.
    Hmm, I am not sure about the hip flexor. I also thought my problem was not being able to hold the leg out, but apparently, the main problem is elsewhere. I was told I can or should (for practise) hold onto my toes, which I did no problem. I was also told it is fine if the leg isn't perfectly straight as it can be curled up a bit, which is good, but I still couldn't achieve that position on my own due to losing balance. I know when once I was given a 4 kg kettlebell to balance me out and that did help!

I shall try to figure out how to improve the ankle mobility and then see if there are other troubles elsewhere. But it is a good tip! I suspect there will be more problems indeed :D
    If you have and experience or idea about stretching calves effectively, I'm all ears ^^

axelb likes this.