Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wednesday 5th April

Taiji fan
    The teacehr wasn't there for the start, so when enough people gathered we started the fan form. With the teacher's arrival, we worked on the ending. Then he wanted to know if every person actually remembered the form if they had nobody to copy from. And he asked us to show the form to the others by pairs. One lady escaped as she vehemently protested. And I was spared :) Probably to not take up time, the teacher knows I remember and he did correct some of my mistakes during this class, too. When he saw the performing pair making mistakes, we would all practice the problamatic part of the form. That was nice. I learned a few more details.
    We did two more forms as the end. When the class started, I felt my legs were fine and not sore after yesterday. But that feeling changed quite a bit after the inicial five minutes :D And now I was thinking how to go through the next two classes.

Taiji - 33 or so moves
    As I happened to help with the warm-up in the last two classes, it looks like it has become my job. I don't mind. Just my legs protested a little ^^ We did a bit of silk-reeling and a Cloud Hands routine. Then the whole aroudn 33? moves. We worked on the kicks and also a bit of the Stepping Back and Wrapping Upper Arms, where I got a correction. And another two more general. And not completely easy to do. Especially with my legs tired. It was a nice class :) I tried to keep various corrections for various things in mind and do those parts better, but...

Taiji - 21 moves
    I led th silk reeling, in a rather high stance today :oops: Or, to be precise - progressively higher :D
    Then the groups were split and I took the more advanced one and we did all the 2é moves of the form they knew. The teacher hasn't come to take over, yet, so I had the class use the 20th move as the 7th (they are the same) and go through the 7th to 20th again. When we finished, the teacher appeared and had us repeat the 20 moves once more. Then we worked on Stepping Back and Wrapping Upper Arms again and learned the first part of the 21st move. I was in front, acting as reference. Not much leasure for me.
    As a result, with my legs hurting, I ended up not being too sad I had to leave early today, skipping the last class I usually go to. :oops:

Frodocious and Jaydub like this.
  2. Nachi

Thursday

Taiji - recording
    As the teacher originally promised the students and the students were asking about it since, we recorded a video of the fan form for reference today. I did the form outside on a terrace. It was freezing in the morning, but after 9 am the sun was warm, so after one form I had to take off my layers till only a T-shirt. What a beautiful spring day today was, finally :)
    I diccussed some things with the teacher, too, but even then we were done quite quickly.

Gardening
    Because of this morning session, I wasn't sure I'd make it to karate today. Sensei and Sett couldn't make it, either, so the class was cancelled. But in the late afternoon I went to our new allotment. My parents were already there, taking out all the jumble left there and twigs of the cut overgrowths. I at least cut some more twigs, mostly old ones from the fence, and while I was there alone, I quickly marked out an area for my veggie plot I was going to dig tommorrow. But when my dad came back, he'd try how the grass can be removed, and so I helped. Then I tried to dig in one spot in the soil to see its quality and my dad immediately came that I was digging it wrong and I should do so systematically. I didn't want him to dig as he sad his back was hurting, so I took the spade and dug the whoe thing. Well, not whole. I am making my plot in place of a small flower bed, so I firt want to transfer the flowers to somewhere and that'll be a work for tommorrow, but I dug around. So the plot is not done yet, but it already looks nice :) 2,5 x 5 m big. I sort of think it is not as big as I like, but apparently my parent are of a different opinion. And my mom wants to have some space for veggie and flower beds, too.
    3 hours of work there today, 1000 kcal. Especially thanks to my dad's work the previous days, the garden is starting to look much better. Tidier and cozier :)

I ordered a barrow just after signing the allotment contract on Monday. Sadly, it will arrive after Easter. Too bad, it would have come in handy today and over the holidays...

Jaydub and Frodocious like this.
  3. Nachi

Friday 7th April

Easter holiday gardening
    According to tradition, the "Great Friday" people shouldn't be gardening. But... I couldn't wait. I spent the morning digging (or plowing? - not sure what the right word is) my garden bed at home. I wanted to plant at least tomatoes and cucumbers there again, but each year, the bed is worse and worse. The hedge from the southern side is overgrowing and creating shade over the whole bed and it's roots grow through it. I dug them out along the 10 meters long plot, but it is a relatively hard work and the veggies still won't thrive there in the shade and the roots will quickly grow again. In the end, I don't think I will plant anything much there. I need to convince my parents to let me dig a larger plot at the allotment. For the rest of the morning I at least clipped the hedge at home.

After lunch my parents and I went to work to our new allotment. First of all, I went to ring the bells of the neighbours in the nearby houses to find out who owns the abandoned-looking parcel next to us to get permission to cut the wild growing trees that have been growing in the fence over the years and are now shading my future veggie bed. I got to learn a few things from the neighbors and got the permission (yay!). Then I finished digging my veggie bed and started to stake out an enlargement. My parents noticed right away and were against (as expected), so I had to compromise quite a bit, but hopefully I'll be able to make a plot large enough to grow everything I want :) We each have our plans with the allotment, so it is hard for me to take as much space as I'd like. Anyway the allotment is wonderful, we've spent a few hours there today as well, tidying it up and are very happy about it. It looks better and better :)

4. Nachi

Saturday 8th April

Gardening
    There was a container not too far away today for a few hours and my mom persuaded my dad to go and throw out the old wood and planks from a prevaious cottage that have been stored in our new allotment. My dad in the end agreed he would drive to the container, but he woulnd't do the work. In th end he helped my mom load the planks into the car and throw them out. While they were busy with that, I would load and unload from the wheelbarrow and move the pile from the garden to around 150 m distant parking lot. It seemed easy at first, but my mom was hurrying us as the container would be taken away, soon, I loaded the barrow as much as I and the wheelbarrow were able to bear and by the 10th one, I was pretty much done with it. But we made it just in time, threw out all the old wood that was soaked, or had nails in it, etc., and only left the wood we'd be able to burn easily. My back hurt from this. It felt like I had done a fair amount of deadlifts. The wheelbarrow's wheel was also empty, it barely fit through the door, and the grass was wet and muddy.
    We had lunch and, although it took some persuading my dad again, in the end he brought a chainsaw to cut the anattended trees growing through the fence from the southern side. We cut it just above the fance. There were 4 or five trees. My mom planned to takethewood somewhere, luckily, I managed to parsuade them to cut it to small logs, even the smaller branches and store them behind the cottage for bonfires :) I found an axe, which was fairly sharp, luckily, but only a small and unstable log to chop the branches on. My back didn't like this that much, either. Then I helped my dad hold the trees for the chainsaw cutting and moved all the wood in a wheelbarrow to a dra spot. We were pretty mcuh tired today by 5:30 pm already. Today's work was hard.

I will have at least 25 000 steps today.

5. Nachi

Sunday 9th April

Gardening
    My lower back hurt a bit in the morning, especially doing some movements. I started with work in my garden at home. I wanted to plant new blueberry bushes and transfer two older ones, plant a fruit tree instead of soemthign else, which went in place of something else, etc. Basically a bit of digging and making a mess in the lawn. My back hurt and I was slow, but then my dad came to help, which was awesome and we were done quite quickly, then. We also dug up a couple of redcurrant bushes and some raspberries and blackberries to plant in the allotment.
    After lunch we continued gardening at our allotment. My back got better. I was still a bit tired in general, but was actually getting more and more energetic. I enlarged my already dug garden bed by a bit. That was my main goal for today. Now it is 3x5 m :) I will need another, smaller bed for squash and achokcha, though.
    It started raining, so we got a bit wet in the end. But it was another productive day, today. We also went to a hobby market to get some garden necessities and a few plants ^^
    I still have many plans for tommorrow, mostly at my home garden. I hope I'll be able to finish everything.

6. Nachi

Easter Mondy 10th April

Gardening
    Today I took some time to move around before my back got back in order. Then my dad and I went to our allotment to take some compost for my home garden bed. 8 bags or around 50 l of compost. I took them again the 150 m to the car and then 150 m from th car at home (why is the parking lot always so far)! In the allotment, the path has become all muddy by this time and the wheelbarrow had its weel completely empty, so I had to push hard in order to even move it, while slipping in the mud. A good workout, I have to say.
    My dad then hleped me mow the grass while I then cut just the edges and raked it. I put the compost in my garden bed and smoothed it out. Then I was able to sow carrots, radishes, white turnip, spring onion, leaf beet and I planted leeks botha t home and at the allotment, where we later walked to and made it into a nice 3 km walk through the forest.
    I also tidied up my garden adn swept all the mess on my floor at home. It slowly started looking like a new garden bed.
    Over 2700 steps today and enough workout in the past few days that my polar announced I am overtraining :D Well, to be honest, I rarely get to this level in my endurance graph there :)
    There was an Easter special karate trainining today. If I had rushed everything, I might have made it, but I was too worn out for that.
    Anyway, I did most of the spring work in my garden and with my parents we did a lot of work in our allotment. It is looking much nicer now. And to be honest, even though doing the harsher gardening work aroudn 6 hours a day for 4 days straight was a bit tough, I really enjoyed it and had fun. It is a sort of meditation. :)

7. Nachi

Tuesday 11th April

Taiji - fan -teaching
    Went by tram as usual, a bit ahead of time to be sure I won't come late since I teach today. No tram came due to a traffic accident, as I learned online, so I walked, like others, the 2 km or so - the 4 stops to the next tram crossing. As soon as I arrived in the stop where I need to switch to a bus, a tram arrived....
    I arrived 15 mins late, but called to let the teacher know, so he took the class. When I arrived, he announce: "We skipped the silk reeling, it's boring!" :D It's not my idea to always start with that. Well, not really, or is it? Anyway, obviously, since he had a chance to check on the class and give some tips, silk-reeling would be wasted time. :)
    I took over then, we revies the last few moves, practice dthe whole form so far and I did my best to teach the next one, the pirouette-like move. I think the class made progress with some of my corrections and they did quite well, which made me happy :) To be honest, teaching the fan is quite fun :)

Taiji - sword and broadsword
    We stared with three jian forms. Or rather, two whole and two only the first half. It always takes one form for me to re-adjust from the fant that has similar moves, but slightly different, or the same moves continue with something else, etc. But then I felt good, I think I was able to go for quite low stances, felt quite soft in the hips, etc.
    We got some corrections from the teacher, we worked on the very beginning of the form, trying to get the intention there and to make if a bit swifter and lively. I wasn't doing well in that regard today.
    Then we took the broadswords and practiced what we knew and learned a new move. Or finished the one from last time? Anyway we learned three parts of one move or three moves separately, then were told to do it as a one motion, without stop. I think I did quite well here, I remember this one from a demo of the senior instructors and it is a very nice one. And smooth one if done well.
    My back still hurts form the gardening a little. Keeping my pelvis tucked in makes it stiff as it used to when I first started taiji. With all the jumping around in the broadsword, I had a sharp pain there a couple of times, which stopped me and I just left those two forms unfinished. It wasn't terrible, but sharp and unexpected, so it sent a jolt through me. Since thn, I paid attention to not move the back mucha nd paid attention to any sign the pain is coming and I was fine.

Taiji - Cannon Fist
    Laojia Yilu fr a warm-up, then two Laojia Erlus. Again, feeling tired by then. The teacher reviewed our form and taught us the next short move. He also asked about how we would like to continue this course since we are about to finish the form. We probably all agree that we need more practice of it, but if the teacher wanted to add something, I said I would find the tui shou - partner work - to be a good idea. He mentioned it before. The teacher asked if anyone felt uncomfortable or was simply against working in pairs and 3 or 4 people actually raised hands. :( Dang it, there goes my opprtunity to practice it at least in one class regularly. And I really want to learn. Plus this is probably the most advanced class currantly. In the end the teacher offereed and people agreed with us going through both Laojia Yilu and Erlu again, working on details and making sure every single person can dot he whole 108 form. And if we pass the course, he'd make diplomas for us. As a motivation :D People seemed to like the idea. I don't particularly need a diploma, I am happy with the knowledge and skill I can learn. And while people were getting motivated, I was thinking how the teacher would know if every single person can do it without forgetting any part? There surely is a catch to it. Smells to me like a grading of sorts :D And indeed, before I could ask carefully, the teacher announced that everyone will demonstrate to the rest alone. Hehe, some of the enthusiasm disappeared, but not as much as I'd have thought. :)

Went home after a short stretching. My back had enough and I still had some work at home.

8. Nachi

Wednesday 12th April

Although I had nothing sore or didn't feel bad at all after the four days of gardening - digging and carrying all kinds of stuff in a wheelbarrow, it was still a work-out that got me bad today. It's been happenning to me occassionally since my teens, that I sometimes get a cramp in the intercostal muscles on my left side, which is pretty awful as I can't breathe and move even a tiny bit. It happened again today. Luckily not to the point that I couldn't breathe and move, but I had to do so very carefully. This usually goes away in minutes, however, today, the place hurt from after a lunch to the end of the day.
    Unrelatedly my belly ached as well and I generally felt aweful, not wanting to move at all. I would have totally skipped training today if only I hadn't planned my first private class for the evening, and the lady asking for it was very happy and enthusiastic about it, so I thought I'd manage somehow.

Taiji - fan and double fan
    When I came to the school, I realized talking to people sometimes requieres deeper breathing and I couldn't even laugh do the the cramps in the intercostals. I paid attention not to move too fast, but when someone called me, I forgot and turned, it hurt a lot. I also struggled to bend over, tying my shoe laces rather awkwardly. This is sucha weird ache. I still tried to exercise as normally. Unfortunately I have my stable place in the front. I started the first form carefully and I skipped the jumps etc. for today. I thought kicks might be a problem, but I have already learned to kick relatively high - enough to kicks my hand as should be in some moves, without actually moving my upper body much, which worked. This type of careful exercising actually made me move around less (I usually move around too much, so it was a good thing in a way) and keep myself grounded.
    The biggest struggle was to breathe throughout. Taiji is all about deep breath, and although I am struggling to breathe properly in all the moves, today I had trouble to breath in too much and, unfortunately, to breath out too much, too. So had to breath shallow, making me out of breath rather soon :( And the form didn't feel that good.
    In the second half of the class we actually started the double fan form :) Little Maimei has already been learning from the teacher for about a month, so she showed us a part and the teacher would then explain. It is a lot of turning and swishing the fans around the body similarly to double-broadsword (I do not know that from, though, so it is not helpful). The teacher taught us I think three moves. Quite a bit more than I had expected. I thought we'd first learn the turns, etc., as instructor L showed me in the last seminar, but he decided to just teach us the form, which has plenty of these. It went quite well. In these three moves, there are three fajins where the left fan opens, but I managed this quite well. Surprisingly so, even :) This is going ot be fun :)

Taiji - 32 moves
    The teacher was gone and the group was just chatting, so I started the class with silk-relling and Cloud Hands. This was the most terrible today for the breathing. I couldn't breath deeply, so I kept silk reeling faster and faster according to the breath. Then the two consecutive forms up to the 32nd form didn't help, either (or was it only one and a half?) Anyway, I was out of breath, couldn't enjoy the form at all and it felt weird.
    Good thing was, as soon as I started moving when coming toda, belly stopped aching.
    I am so glad we didn't get to the jumping kick today. It will be kept for next week. I wouldn't have been able to do that. If I was in the back, who cares, but...

Taiji - my first private class - teaching
    I was actually very happy that it was the time for the private class. Another class where I'd lead the silk reeling and also practice the form up to the 22nd move or so, would be a huge struggle for me. The private class went well, I think. The lady wanted to help with the fan. She is from the group I am teachign and she thinks it is too fast and keeps missing some details. I felt very honored and humbled by the fact that she realyl wanted a private class with me, so I planned to help as best as I could. We went through some details about handling the fan in general.
    Then we worked on the Protect Knees move. It is only the fourth one in the form, but pretty much one of the hardest. If not the hardest, even. The steps arebasically the same as Stepping Three Steps in the beginning of the basic Laojia Yilu, but now you move the fan and the left hand around, too. There are many things to coordinate. It wouldn't really work well withotu the correct hip rotation, which the lady did not know, so we actually spent most of the class on that. I did my best to explain the movement from various viewpoints - with focus on body rotation, or on heels, on the hips, on weight shifting, and... well, basically puttin that all together. It was hard, but she was making an obvious progress! :) And then we added the fan...
    I wantedher to take a break from it, so we went through the whole part of the fan form she had learned. And then spent some itme with the final move - a pirouette of sorts. It is not that hard, but takes a bit of time to figure it out first. And I think she did now :)
    Anywaay, I think the class went well, I felt good about it nad got way too many thanks.

Taiji - 6 moves
    I had planned to go home, but ended up in the gym for this class and I wanted to stretch a little. In the private class, I didn't move around too much and the cramp seemed to have gone away. So I joined the class, although only after the silk reeling (I've had enough of that today). ANd my belly started hurting again, so I might ease it up by the simple 6 moves. Yeah, the intercostal cramp was back, still couldn't breath.
    In the end I left without the bally ache, bu I felt my back again. Dang it, a few days of gardening and I feel like an old lady, unable to move due to odd aches. I have no endurance (which is a huge disappointment) :D

If all felt better in the evening, when sitting I felt perfectly fine, but when I went to sleep and laid in bed, my ribcage didn't like the position, no matter which one I tried. I could probably handle not breathing too deeply when trying to sleep, but I could only breath out halfway, too. In the end the pain went away and I fell asleep, but it took time...

9. Nachi

Thursday - I felt better than yesterday, but was worried about moving ina way that would cause the cramp again and I wasn't that energetic in general, so I skipped class today. I heard there was plenty of kicking the pads - something I really enjoy, so I was sad I missed it, on the other hand that was exactly the tpe of training I wanted to avoid today.

Friday - rest day.

Saturday 15th April
    Black belt training (3 hours)
    We have at least one each month, alternating between our and a different city. Today was the other. There were 8 of us in total - 6 black belts and two 1st kyus getting ready for dan grading.
    We did kihon and ippon kumite which we then practiced as one technique right after another.
    Then Shisochin kata and its bunkai and Sepai kata and bunkai. Finally I probably remember the Sepai bunkai, even thoguh I couldn't make it to the last two trainings like this last month. I am glad we got to practice this. :)

I needed to review the bunkai. I have also skipped several regular classes lately due to various reason. Next weekend, there is a blackbelt gasshuku in Germany with the IOGKF chief intructor. I am really, like really looking forward to this. I would like to, at least for the last week before, practice my kata a bit, so that I go there a bit warmed-up since I havent done them much lately. I hope I'll find the resolve :oops:

10. Nachi

Sunday 16th April

Gardening
    Did a bit of work at home, then went to our allotment to plant an Osmanthus and dig a squash garden bed. And an achokchla bed. My dad had some other work to do, but he felt too uncomfortable to let me go plant and dig there alone, in worries that I would dig uncontrollably or plant the Osmanthus somewhere he did not agree... so he actually came for a bit with me :D Unfortunately he got stung by the neighbor's bee and left soon after. I was digging my squash bed right next to the bee hives the neighbor has. Between the hive and a flowering cherry tree. One bee felt like I shouldn't be there and chased me all over the garden, but got entangled in my pony tail and I squashed it. Wow, the bee hives are... well... Anyway I dug my garden beds, spread some fertilizer all over them and went to train.

Kettlebell gym
    Warm-up and then the warm-up kettlebell exercises with 14 kg.
    TGU - five rounds per size, using: 16, 20, 20, 20, 16 kg. Adding one rep with the heavier one each class feels like a good pace. The instructor check on what weight I was using before I started. I said I did 20 kg for two rounds last time and she asked if I would add, so I said I tried. Later, however, she was surprised if I really need to go bakc to 16 kg in the end. Hmm, I wasn't planning to be very harsh on myself, but the instructor...

My next exercise was squats and horizontal bar hanging. She said I can do a normal dead hang, but I'd better try for longer times. She knows I hate the horizontal bar. Last time I hung 25 s for 5 rounds. Today, she said I could work up to 1 min. I said I could not. (Is she crazy?) She said I don't have to in all the rounds, but I could start easy, maybe 40 s and add 5 s each minute. She actually is crazy! I told her I can't possibly do that. So she tried, ok, then 45 s each round. I can't do that, either! What's up with her today, she's in her especially devious mode :D In the end we compromised on 35 s. I said I would try, hopefully I cna manage for so many rounds. At the same time as she was saying: Yeah, start with 35 s and we'll see -_- I actually did one orund after the other in hopes I have as many finished as possible before she comes and bullies me :D When she came to check, she said: See? You're hanging for at least 2 mins now. I was not! I told her I am doing the 35 s. She went: Ok, good start, so try to add a bit for the second round. Aha! :D This was my third, though! ^^ She probably lost all hope in me, then, and told me to at least not lessen the time in the next rounds. Can't blame her, I do feel like I am hopeless in this :D I pulled of the 5x35 s, but could really do not any more. And what the heck, in my book, 5x 35s is plenty! More than I could ever believe I'd be able to do after like, what had it been, 14 classes so far?
    As for the squats in between the dead hangs, today I was taught how to do a double-kettlebell squat. I've never tried anything with 2 kettlebells (probably except for farmer's walk), so I wasn't sure how hard it was going to be to get them into the rack position. I tried with 2 12 kg ones. They were not hard to do squats with, so this was the relax part of the work-out.
    Then as the next exercise, I would usually be doing deadlifts and push-ups. However, the instructor told me we can try something new, but it was just masked pull-up practice. Well, not really masked even, but I couldn't help but think if it was because I was slacking with the dead hang and I was doing "only" dead hang. So she had me do ring rows. I was allowed to keep a relatively high position, so to be honest, it was not incredibly hard, but by the 5th round I was tired. I did 5 ring rows and 5 deadlifts again with 48 kg for 5 rounds.

EMOM - swings - 10 mins x 10 swings with 28 kg
    The 28 kg kettlebell is beginning to feel not that challenging. It doesn't really make me breath hard anymore.Today, however, was a struggle. Last week training was cancelled due to Easter, and before the previous one I misssed three weeks in a row, so my palms have gottten softer again. And my softened calluses really hurt now after the dead hangs and ring rows and deadlifts. So the swings were a little hell. After the first round, I was fairly sure I wouldn't be able to finish this today. I didn't tear my skin, but it still hurt a lot. I didn't want to give up or take a lighter bell just because of this. I was chalking my hands like crazy and kept figurign out how to swing without the handle moving much in my palms. And also didn't do the swings very explosively. Somehow, not even sure how, I did it. I finihsed the whole things. But my skin really hurt. The hardened calluses squeezed and threatened to tear. Luckily, not one did :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    axelb, Jaydub and Frodocious like this.
  11. Nachi

Monday 17th April

Karate Kids
    Sett taught as usual, I assisted. We played games, did some basic kihon, and tried one combination from ippon kumite.
    There were 15 kids today. They do take quite long to make a line by grade and by who has or doesn't have gi in a way they each stands on one tatami square in ne line and eventually make a second line when they reach the end of the dojo. Somehow a few weeks ago, the more senior students with yellow belts have taken to get the newer and younger children in order and would not tolerate any mistake. It is kind of cute and very nice. It is such a little thing, but I kind of like that they wouldn't just stand and try to help make order :) They won't tolerate any mistake, either! :)

Karate adults
    3 Sanchin katas in the beginning. Today I did all three and I enojyed them quite a bit. Then Junbi Undo, some variations of push-ups and we worked on kihon ippon kumite - first drilling solo, all six combinations, then in pairs and eventually that one person stands in front of the line of the rest and each perrson would yell which of the three combinations with tsuki they are going for - announcing their attack just a second in advance, the defender has to react correctly. And we tried to do this fast. It was a nice class. I did participate for most of the ippon kumite, too, since there was an odd number of students.

12. Nachi

Tuesday 18th April

Taiji fan - teaching
    Fewer people than usual today. I do hope they haven't given up :( Some people are always bound to drop, but...
    The techer told em to skip silk reeling at the beginning and rather, practice it within the form, so I did that. We did the form a few times, practiced again the Protect the Knees (I think it is called soemthing like that) steps across the gym. It is hard and there's still quite bit of work there. We reviewed the latest moves - especially the last one which is sort of a pirouette. Then added a new move at the end. One lady asked me if she could record me explaining the Protect the Knees steps. Since there is still no reference video we've promised. We've tried to record it, but the teacher said it did not turn out well and we should try again and make it look nice with proper lighting, against a flat backgrounds etc. Probably tommorrow. So the lady got satisfied with there hopefully being an official video soon.

Taiji sword and broadsword
    Three sword (jian) forms, then we worked on one move in more detail, but finished with the sword earlier in favour of the broadsword. We practiced the form, mostly the latest moves. A senior student had questions about some details, so the teacher spent some time with that. I am not sure if I understood what they were asking and what the explanation in particular was since they tried the defence with a stick and I couldn't see all the details all the way from the very back and against the setting sun. But hopefully I don't do a huge mistake there. Added a new move.

Taiji - Laojia Erlu
    I got caught by one of my fan students as she had a question about one move. I was explaining as I could (she missed last class), when the teacher came and sent me to take the warm-up of our group. I didn't notice the usual instructor was missing today. I did the Laojia Yilu there. I am not practicing it as much as I should be lately and tend to make a mistake here and there when I don't focus and continue with a move that may be only later in the form, or skip one. There's one very prone to skipping. So I focused hard and managed not to mess up, although I was close at one point :D
    Just when we finished the teacher came and did Laojia Erlu with us. And then had us do it once more, alone. I was breathing hard by this point, but didn't feel as exhausted as I typically do. We then reviewed the latest moves and worked one the problematic parts. No new move, today. The next one is supposedly difficult, so the teacher wanted us to fist be sure in these. No objections.

Taiji - 12 moves
    I was about to go stretch, when the teacher approached to ask me quietly about the upcoming class - he forgot what the two groups coming to train were learning. Well, I was only attending one and I missed probably the last couple of classes, so I could only say that they did Stepping Three Steps some time ago, and the other were beginners, but... :D But the teacher deduced the rest himself, leaving happy about how the classes were going :D
    I did my stretching routine, then joined the class in the middle practicing Oblique Walking, Brushing Knee and Stepping Three Steps. I was send to the front at the end when we practiced in long sequesnces of these three and surprisingly, my legs weren't hurting that much, yet. Curious. This usually means I will overdo it tommorrow and regret it. :D

13. Nachi

Wednesday 19th April

Taiji fan and double fan
    We started the class with a fan form. The teacher arrived then and had us go through the form in a few chunks, correcting some things. We spent some time working on a turning kick near the end, that is quite tricky. Yet again, the teacher explained how to use the momentum for it, thanks to body mechanics. I think I finally managed to do that. A bit. Except that I stopped opening the fan, because this way there was no time to close it, so I always kicked it... But the teacher said ti needn't be opened, so I tried like that. The teacher then left us and told me to practice this part with everyone. I did, but since I skipped one step in the turn, therefor finishing the turn faster, even if I waited for everyone, as most people weren't trying this way, I totally confused a few friends, who were a bit lost after practicing various turns into various directions. In the end I had to abandon practicing this new piece. Nevermind. I'll practice later :)
    Nearly half the class was spent practicing the double fans. We learned I think three moves last time, but some people missed it, so the teacher didn't show anything new, but we practiced this, which I think was alright by everyone. I only tried a few times at home, roughly, but maybe thanks to that I was able to remember and chain the movements with relative ease. There is plenty to polish, but at least I was able to follow the teacher's pace and didn't have to think too harda botu what comes next. Oh, this form is going to be a lot of fun. Even opening the fan with the left hadn doesn't seem all that complicated. Similar to the right-hand fan, it looks like it is not too hard to open adn close it, which I was inicially rather worried about.
    Still, it was hot and my (right) fan slipped and hit a friend's shoe. Generally, many fans were flying through the air today. One friend threw hers into another's head, hahaha :D

Taiji 32 moves
    Teacher was away, so I started the class with this group - silk reeling and Cloud Hands, then the form. The teacher still hadn't come so we did the ending once more - Cloud Hands and the next 6 moves. The teacher arrived and had us run through these last 7 moves 2-3 more times. Then we practiced them - the kicks and the last move, learning a new turn.

Taiji 21 moves
    I did the warm-up for both groups - silk reeling, then the form with the more advanced. Once the teacher joined, then he watched to check on how we were doing and reviewed a few moves with us, before teaching a new bit.

Taiji 6 moves
    I was too tired and still needed to preserve some energy, so I skipped silk-reeling. Insted I did my stretchign routine by the wallbars for 30 mins, stretching everything around my hips. Only then I joined, feeling nicely soft in the hips. I think I was able to push my knees further apart than usual in the bow stance. Good!
    Since I joined we mostly practiced the 6th move and a couple of times all six. Surprisingly, I still had a bit of energy left. And the stretching helped that, too.

Taiji - video recording
    That was needed, because the teacher wanted to record a fan video with me today. We tried before, but he thought it would be better in a dark room with nice lighting. We prepared the lights and I did a few moves for ads and the fan form, sequence by sequence, as reference for the students. I didn't feel as tired as I was worried I would, but still, sometimes my legs failed to listen and I lost balance for a bit. It would have been much better to record not after 4 hours of classes, but... well, there really isn't that kind of opportunity. I recorded also the teacher in turn, for a little bit, and left the school late, at 11 pm. Very tired.

14. Nachi

Thursday - couldn't make it ot class

Saturday 21st April

Yudansha (Black belt) Gasshuku (seminar) in Germany with Nakamura-sensei (8th dan, world chief instructor), Torben-sensei (7th dan) and Peter-sensei (7th dan)
    The annual yudansha gasshuku I first participated in last year. It is usually limited to 30 people = capacity of local dojo, but Nakamura sensei was a huge bait, so the capacity was far exceeded. So much so that two more senseis were teaching, so we could split into three groups. And the location was moved, too. There were over 70 participants from 1kyus (who were grading later today) to 5th dan from Germany, Austria, Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Belgium, Luxembourg and Canada.
    The training started a bit after 10 am. Nakamura-sensei led Junbi Undo and spent some time working on the cat stance - Neko-ashi dachi, which, as Nakamura-sensei stressed, is a very important one to practice to stand and move in. And we did just that. It wasn't too easy, but I did my best. Sensei Nakamura always demostrated his perfect control in moving very fast in this stance and changing directions, with great control of his centerline. We do this type of exercise nearly in every seminar he teaches, but today we went to a bit more detail and it was great. Nearly overshadowing my frustration from my inability to do it well :D
    The floor wasn't the type to slide on easily, so with all the turns etc, I tore the skin and a little bit of flesh at the base of one of my toes and therefore was compromising the turns a little bit since then. It felt like a needle would stab me there over and over. And I didn't want to tear more toes. Bu I still did, on the other foot...

We continued with Sanchin kata, which we all did together. I felt good in the stance today, and enjoyed the kata. We were told quite a few interesting things about it, drawing parallels with how people move in different sports etc. We did a few exercises to get hte right feeling for the posture and mechanics etc. in the kata - Nakamura-senseis take on it. All this stuff was incredibly interesting, some of which I had no idea about. It was great. Sensei Nakamura has a way to explain hard-to-grasp stuff on very easy-to-understand parallels. We also worked on relaxing our body.

Later we split into three groups, our was the most junior one, up to Nidan (my grade). We were taught by the Germany chief instructor, sensei Peter. By his appearance one wouldn't expect all the moves he showed at all. Everything was performed swiftly with a lot of power, great body mechanics. He worked with us on Sanseru kata. He focused on exactly the body mechanics, how to use energy and momentum from one move to another and we practiced bit by bit. Heh, my Taiji practice helped me in several things here :) Some of these were totally Taiji moves :) :cool: We were taught which muscles (or muschle groups) to use for some particular techniques and it was very interesting. I learned a lot of new stuff I was very very happy to learn. Some stuff started making more sense.

We had an hour-long lunch break with lunch ready for us to eat outside. I quickly wolfed it down and spent the rest of the time writing down notes on everything we had learned. Which was a lot.

After lunch our group was taught by Torben-sensei. This was my first class with Torben-sensei as well. He taught us about Shisochin kata. Again, his demonstrations of everything left us in awe. Such awesome control of his body. This, too, was truly inspiring. Similar to sensei Peter, he led us through the kata, focusing on some basics (which we apparently didn't get correct, or at least some of us). He again explained mechanics and principles, both in the kata and outside, how everything we do in karate - starting with Junbi Undo - is always a practice to teach our body to move a certain way. We also tried one or two applications of the kata. One ended with a take-down. I had a bit of trouble smoothly going frm grabbing Sett's hand to the joint-lock on the floor, so I asked sensei for advise. He demonstrated, it looked clear, but when he was gone, I still couldn't do it. Sensei was checking on us from nearby though, and came to help again. By this time I switched the grab clumsily and was pulling's Sett's arm, when he tapped my thigh. Sensei wanted to help me and showed me which way to put more pressure, but since Sett was in no position to talk and was only tapping in a way sensei wouldn't be able to see, I quickly had to stop it :D
    Again, awesome class.

The last block our group had Nakamura-sensei. I was hoping we would have one block on kakie this weekend and here it was. :) I paired up with Sett. We tend to just practice together in the seminars. On one hand we have a good opportunity to try a completely new partner, but on the other, we can easily coordinate with each other, know each other well and therefore work well together, so we can just focus on the technique we are learning, without needing to first coordinate and adjust to a new partner. Nakamura sensei- taught/had us practice only kakie at first, then three techniques. I finally heard their names - jodan and gedan ude garami. And also an elbow break - a Shisochin bunkai. And we did transitions between all three. We then did a couple more joint locks. We struggled with one, but sensei was there to help when Sett and I had a little argument about how the technique went. :)
    I've long had a question about kakie - about mechanics of the movement and push (slight change in body alignment that allowed for the whole body to push instead of just arm) - that I sort of got from taiji, and I found it helped me against bigger partners to do it that way. I wanted to know if this was considered correct and I can just do it that way, or un-learn it. So I caught Nakamura-sensei after the class and asked. Yep, Nakamura-sensei said it could be done that way, if going against bigger and stronger partners, it may be a necessity. Yay :)

For the last half an hour we all did Tensho kata together - I think twice with some of Nakamura-sensei's explanations. We finished at 5 pm - so 6 hours of training. And had 2,5 hour before the get-together party (those of us who weren't grading today), which we spent walking back to our accomodation, showering and for me, writing down notes. It was a very inspiring day. I learned a lot. Like really a lot. And thoroughly enjoyed myself and I am looking forward to tommorrow very much :)

15. Nachi

Sunday 22st April

Yudansha (Black belt) Gasshuku (seminar) in Germany with Nakamura-sensei (8th dan, world chief instructor), Torben-sensei (7th dan) and Peter-sensei (7th dan)
    Second day of the gasshuku started at 10 am as well. Nakamura-sensei led the Junbi Undo as always and continued with kihon combinations - mostly three types of blocks, open handed, various combinations. Trying for proper technique, then fast. I was in a great mood and looking forward to today very much as I really enjoyed yesterday. I decided to not hold anything back today (well, except being careful with my feet to not tear any more toes) and put everything I got into every technique. The seminar was going to be mostly technical, rather than a huge work-out, considering it is a black belt one, so no need to save my energy. When we did the blocks fast, I was trying to figure out a way to make them as fast as possible, without sacrificing the technique. I focused on principles I learned in Taiji - to start the movement from the feet and through tanden, and indeed, I think I did quite good. Tiny adjustments that were maybe more mental rather than physical, and I felt they helped a lot. At least speed-wise. I actually earned a "very good" from Nakamura-sensei ^^ Yaaay.

We split into the same groups as yesterday and like yesterday, our group was first taught by sensei Peter. I was, obviously, hoping we will also learn more about Sepai kata, which is the kata for my next grading. And sensei Peter came with exactly that. We started step by step, with sensei adding many details and the kata got a ompletely new meaning to me. We always had time to practice each step for a while, according to instructions. I am not familiar with sensei Peter, and obviously he didn't know me, either, and yesterday as he was going around, he'd always pass by me, never giving any correction. Which I thought was a pity. When he passed by me today, I asked what I was unsure about. Since then, however, sensei would give me a correction - usually adjust my position - just about every time he'd pass by. Awesome ^^ That was very helpful. Actually probably not many people asked sensei questions, but well, Sett and I did, and when we did so, sensei thought our questions were good one and he stopped everyone and explained so that everyone would hear. Which was nice. The only regret I have is that we didn't have time to go through the whole kata like this, bit by bit, so we did the first sequence nad then sensei picked one more technique we practiced. He explained in a way I never thought of it. I think I didn't have a particular problem with this technique (Taiji helped with this one, too), but looking around, that wasn't the case for everyone. It was nami gaeshi - a sweep and stomp with a foot in shiko dachi. With knee raised high, and stomp hard while lowering into hikui (low) shiko dachi. The people who were able to transfer the power well were apparent by being able to stomp in this technique. And all of us tried our hardest to do the technique well and hard. Over and over again. Even my foot felt tired form all the stopmping then :)
    Sensie also explained two applications (bunkai) from the kata. It was the way we had learned them, but with slight tweaks that (we felt) made the technique more practical and effective. I was really happy about this class and again, spent at least half of the lunch break writing down notes.

For the second block our group was taught by Torben-sensei. Sensei highlighted the importance of a good stance and we practiced that, among others, in Gekisai Dai Ichi kata. Sensei explained the kata, corrected our general mistakes and taught us the senior version. I think no one raised their hands when sensei asked if anyone has learned it, yet. There are changes to several techniques in the senior version. We had an idea about two, but there were more. We practiced this for a while, both the junior and senior version. Then we moved to Gekisai dai Ni kata, which is similar, and sensei also demosntrated the senior version, which we were trying then.
    Later in the block we worked on kakie, or, rather, as we had learned, this type known as, I think, kakite (or was it kakete?) and we tried a combination we've never done before. It was fun. I paid attention to involve my back muscles as I should while at it.

For the last block (I think each lasted about 70-80 mins) we had Nakamura-sensei. Even though I am among the shorter people in our group, I've always had a spot near the back and had trouble hearing nad seing sensei at some point, so I tended to make my way forward for explanations, and sit down, so that everyone could see over me, too. But I was done with that. So at least for this last block with Nakamura-sensei I unceremoniously made my way to the front to be able to see and hear every last detail :oops:
    By now, we worked on most of our katas (well, Tensho was covered only very briedfly yesterday) except for Saifa and Seiyunchin, so sensei decided to work on those. Great! We tried Saifa a couple of times and then sensei went through the kata and told us all the necessary detail. Actually I would say this part was more of a lecture than training, but that was perfectly fine with me, and I guess everyone, as knowledge was what we were here for. We did practice some parts in the middle, though, which were more problematic or sensei saw we generally got wrong. At the end of sensei explaining the whole kata we practiced it a couple of times again. And did the same with Seiyunchin. I just did my best to remember everything. There were a plenty of new terms, , well, almost new (luckily), as I had them noted down from sensei's online seminar. If I hadn't attended that, I don't think I would be able to remeber half of the teachnique names sensei told us today.
    After these two katas, we still had some time and we did three combinations in pairs. I think they were Tensho bunkai. Or at least the first two. Anyway, this block was, of course, awesome, too.

For the last half an hour, we practiced all in one group together - a bit of kihon (age uke), and mostly Gekisai dai Ichi. Working a bit more on the senior version. The seminar ended at 4 pm.

That was it for this weekend. What a pity there isn't at least one more day. I enjoyed this gasshuku tremendously. It was so inspiring. We learned something new about every single kata up to our next grading (well, nothing new for Tensho, that was the only one) and more than just a little detail. Many things make more sense to me and I see a lot of potential and stuff to work on. So I am very motivated now and also inspired, not only by all the sweet details and principles we've leraned, but also just by watching the teaching senseis move. The prospect of perhaps being able to control my body in this way one day, is very alluring.
    We spent the evening just discussing everything and we agreed that getting a black belt is truly the beginning of the real karate journey. After this weekend, I can also really see why martial arts are called "arts". What I saw felt just like that. The art to control, know and use the body effectively.
    Our whole group left for home humbled and very inspired. I have, indeed, a long way to go. But what a great opportunity we have to learn from several masters regularly traveling all around the world.

I already can't wait for the gasshuku we host next month in Prague! With the exception of Nakamura-sensei (what a pity), we will have the remaining three members of the IOGKF executive comittee teaching here. They are, obviously, some of the top IOGKF instructors with much to share. It will be super awesome!

Frodocious, Jaydub and axelb like this.
  16. Nachi

Monday 24th April

Karate Kids
    We warmed up with some running in teams, then worked on zenkutsu dachi and moving in the stance with tsuki. I think.

Karate adults
    Sett and I were both very inspired form the weekend seminar, so this class, we shared some of the new and interesting things we had learned about basic things that would be useful for kyu grades, too. Starting with Sanchin kata. We did Junbi Undo and then the first three kata, correcting them. Sett had stuff to say especially about Saifa, but three younger student didn't know it, so I took them to the side and worked on (or taught them) Gekisai dai Ni.
    We officially closed the class after 90 mins today, letting everyone who wanted to stay and practice by themselves, we'd be there to answer any questions and help. This was done so we could focus on helping the two students with 1st kyu who are gettting ready for dan grading. We would check their bunkai, especially and give tips and corrections. But first I was caught by a blue belt to help check his Seiyunchin bunkai he'd learned recently. So I did that, then went to the 1st kyus.
    Before we left, Sett and I also quickly practiced our Sepai bunkai and did the kata once. But somehow, even thoguh I didn't do much today, my body felt tired this late. Probably due to the weekend seminar.

17. Nachi

Tuesday 25th April

Taiji fan - teaching
    Had a quick talk with the teacher before class. He mentioned to make sure everyone remembers the form. I taught a new move each class, just so we could finish it during the advertized 7 months. The teacher said that doesn't matter, which was good to hear. So I spent this class working on moves I already taught. We stopped doing silk reeling, did just once within the form and worked on the later, more tricky moves, over and over. I got a few questions, so I explained the move to more detail. Wow, teaching a complicated move really teaches me, too. I had to figure out some rules for it, figure out where mistakes wre being made and dissected the move I do automatically to tiny details and discover rules for them on the go. I haven't been taught to this much detail, so... but I think this helped.
    We only had a few mins left for potentially learning a new move, but I decided to leave it for next time if I can.
    The teacher came then to ask everyone how they like the tempo they are learning. They didn't know how to answer, but when the teacher asked if it was too fast, they said it was just fine. So that was good to hear :)

Taiji sword and broadsword
    Instructor L usually leads those, but she was nowhere to be seen. I asked the people in front if we could perhaps just start for now, but nobody took the iniciative, until a couple of minutes later people got the same idea except they pushed me to lead the pace. We only had time for two forms, probabyl as we started late. The teacher corrected us couple of moves beofre we moved onto broadsword.
    We did the form, I think, only once and twice before we started dissecting the newer moves. And we were taught the next one. I have already learned this one in the fan form, so I could do it quickly, but it is a little tricky, so the teaher was explaining over and over till the end of class.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early today and missed the Cannon Fist class :(

18. Nachi

Wednesday 26th April

Taiji fan and double fan
    I started the class, we went through the fan form twice. The teacher arrived, worked with us on some parts, gave us corrections and we moved onto double fan form. We'd learned 3 moves so far and today we added three more. Basically the teacher demonstrated about twice and let us practice the first one. Luckily, I feel like I have already gotten a feel for how taiji moves and was able to replicate more or less, but had a couple of questions. I was sent to the front as a reference again. Well... We then learned two new moves very similar to the previous ones - two steps with turning and moving the fans around one's head while opening one or two. The ending was a different position and the steps were to be done in a jump. Later, that is. This is a really cool form, but will take a while to train to smoothness.

Taiji 32 moves
    I started the silk reeling and the form. Then the fan once more under the teacher's watchful eye. We reviewed the kicks in the latest moves. Nothing new taught today, the teacher thought more practice would be in order, which Ithink people agreed with, this is not an easy part, after all.

Taiji 21 moves
    I did led the silk reeling for both groups, then the form with the more advanced. After we worked on the last move for most of the class. It is a difficult one and there are many nuances. The teacher also showed another version, which he wanted us to practice a lot one summer, but I've completely forgotten about o_O After the class tried a few times, though, the teacher said: "You see, and this is why we teach the easier one." XD

Taiji 6 moves
    I planned to stay till the end today and then ask the teacher about the event on Saturday - the International Taiji day. I am supposed to teach one of the workshops, but I've only learned that from the program, so I wanted to ask a few things :D
    The teacher, however, came to talk to me at the beginnign of this class. We moved to the smaller room, I got some details and then we chatted about classes in general and some of the teacher's plans. He would generally like me to teach more than one course. There are less courses on Thursday, so that would be ideal, but I have karate Monday and Thursday. From the very beginning. I can't make compromises there (actually, Taiji was the reason why we have a training on Monday instead of Tuesday as we used to). The teacher just shook his head, looked me in the eye and: "Don't you want to quit karate already?"
    Wow :D I mean, I do appreciate the sentiment, but.. No, I don't ... :/ So the teacher had a few questions about how we organize our classes in the dojo to get an idea or inspiration for how to do things, but we were then interrupted by people coming for class when they finished the warm-up.
    I did a bit of stretching as usual and joined the class practicing the 6th move.

19. Nachi

Thursday 27th April

Karate
    Sensei was busy, so it was (me and) Sett teaching today again. I couldn't make it to the children class, so came only for adults. There we started with a bit of running and jumping, somersaults, etc. for a warm-up, Junbi Undo and then tried a few kihon combinations we also did at the gasshuku. First we did a few combinations solo, then in pairs, changing partners often. As for practicing solo, I did try to do the techniques as fast and strong as possible, remembering how sensei'S at the gasshuku had done it. I might change my approach to how to practice kihon (well, I guess I've been trying this way for a while now) and kata, also.
    We finished the class with kakie (push-hands) and kakite (?) - sticky hands. I'd think. We have some new knowledge about these, too, which I tried to include and happily shared with an orange belt student - a young talented boy of 15 years of age, who asked where the movement and the strenght comes from, since he couldn't figure it out and was pushed back with nearly every push bacause his stance didn't hold, even though I didn't try that hard. He knew what he should change, though, and when he did not, he asked. So I did try to tell him the basic stuff, but we had to change partners before I could show him how. Sett did explain the important stuff before, but since he asked...
    It was a nice class. Even if a little relaxed.

20. Nachi

Saturday 29th April

INTERNATIONAL TAIJI DAY - Taiji workshop and demo at our Taiji school
    I came early in case some help would be needed, but it wasn't. The event started with children classes and demo of the younger studnets. We got space we could use to practice and warm-up, so I took a couple of friends and we did about 1,3 Laojia Yilu. :) The youngsters then practiced fan, so I joined, as well as with the sword. They then demonstrated to the parents watching, I joined them for the fan form and then I stretched a bit.
    At 17:00 workshops started. I had one on Taiji fan. Around 10 people came, 3-4 new, so I said a tiny bit about history and theory, showed ho to hold nad open and close the fan in different directions, we tried than in a stance with shifting weight and in the end, I taught, or rather, have the people try a couple of moves from the form. Then I joined the sword workshop when the teacher taught basic sword moves.

Demonstrations
    There were, agian, several of us showing various forms. Nearly all we practice, I think, except for a spear form as the two instructors who can do it well weren't present. I was a part of a group of 5 who did the fan form. I was probably twice as old as the second oldest there, but... :D I absolutely look 16, too, riiiight? :D
    I was also told a couple of days before that the second thing I'll be performing would be a part of Laojia Yilu. So far we always did the first 14 moves in a large group - most of the performers. But only today did I learn the teacher would like me demonstrate alone, in the end with only little Meimei. He wanted us to show the kicking part, for a change, but it is in the moddle oft the form, which is too long, so we decided to do the first 4 moves, then skip 5-25 and follow with Cloud Hands and the kicks and end right after that. Meimei didn't know the following part too well. We tried this together a couple of times and Meimei was unsure about some parts, so I helped her refresh her memory. When we stepped up to do this, I was actually rather nervous and my legs became wobbly. I tried to calm down and steady myself, but as expected, I messed up the jumping kick. Or rather, the landing, so I did a couple of hops as I lost balance. Damn. Luckily I recovered and didn't mess up the next moves as I worried. But I am a bit angry with myself. I had realyl no need to be nervous.

The demos took an hour, accompanied by a bamboo flute from a guest artist and it was very nice. We had some tea afterwards and left after 9 pm.
    A friend - one student from our dojo also saw me in the FB ad for this event and actually came to check it out, which was very nice of him :)