Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wednesday 28th Septemeber

We have national holiday today, but the Taiji classes are going on as usual. But one teacher will be away. Therefore I promised the other that I will come for the three classes as usual. However, I still had the slight cold and sore muscles, a back ache. My back hasn't really been hurting since I practiced Taiji for a few months. The last time it did was when I had covid. Due to this and my sore throat, I didn't particularly feel like going to class where I had to teach.
    Just in case, I tested myself for covid at home, to be safe and not spread something. Two tests actually came out positive.... :rolleyes: Well, I did think I felt more beat up yesterday than I should have after this amount of training. Oh well. If I am positive, I am so, so glad it is only after the weekend Gasshuku. I would have been mad if I had to skip that.

Nothing to do now, today is holiday, I'll sort it with my GP tomorrow. I pardoned myself from classes and at least went with Sett for a 6 km walk and had a cozy evening with movies and wine.

axelb likes this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

that sucks, hope you feel better soon!

3. Nachi

Thank you. :) I am feeling healthy already. Too bad I have to keep isolating till Wednesday....

axelb likes this.
  4. Nachi

Sunday 2nd October

Online Sanchin seminar
    The IOGKF senior instructors offered a two hour long online seminar on the topic of Sanchin kata. 9 senior instructors each got 10 mins (well, it was usually more in the end) to point out one thing about Sanchin kata. Some focused on posture and body structure, some on breathing, some on meditation and energy, some on physiology etc. and it was very cool. Each sensei had a very interesting point of view and said something specific. It was mostly listening to theory for me, but we did the kata twice and did some short exercises. It was awesome, I took plenty of notes. I should practice Sanchin more often...

And an online seminar was very welcome since I can't go to classes now :) Only two more days of isolating.

Mitch and axelb like this.
  5. Nachi

Monday 3rd October

Isolating, skipped karate

Home practice:
    Throughout the day I did:
    3 Laojia Yilus
    1x 25 moves
    1x Sepai
    1x Kururunfa
    ...and working on the new taiji moves I learned - beginning of Cannon Fist form

axelb likes this.
  6. Nachi

Tuesday 4th October

Home training:

2x Laojia Yilu
    1x Sepai
    1x Kururunfa

axelb likes this.
  7. Nachi

Wednesday fifth October

I am finally out of isolation! Yay! So I was off to training right away :)

Tai chi fan

Came to tai chi, met a few friends, who didn't used to come to this class, but came today as the classes for the send fun where is supposed to start.
    I met some friends in the changing room, who were worried if the fan class was really starting today. They saw there was the kung/fu and that the kids warmed up with running and they did not like it. others started talking about the teacher mentioning learning The Sword instead on Monday. Someone also mentioned the saber. So everyone was confused and they tried to ask me if I knew something. I didn't. I wasn't there on Monday. So I was asked what class I was going to. I said I was just going to class, whatever was taught today. I was just happy I am over my isolation and was going to have fun training, whatever it is I was going to train.
    Some of my friends were really worried about the running and decided to just go discuss something very important back in the changing room just before the class started. Cowards :D
    I seemed to be the only instructor there today, so as expected, I was tasked with doing the running warm up. There were more adults then usual there today - coming to learn the fan form. They weren’t very happy about the running and formed a group that just didn't participate. Therefore the running was cut off short as the older people would warm up with Laojia Yilu. I was called over to lead the meditation and for the form, the teacher came to do it with us, which was great.

after that we started with the fan farm, together with some of the teenagers. I thought we would do some basics, like how to actually unfold the fan. And we did, but it didn't take all that long. We spent several classes doing basic exercises when we started learning the sword form. But now we were done in like 10 minutes and started with the form right away. The first move was the same as in the basic form, but with a different ending. We tried a couple of times and then the teacher showed another move. And then another and another and we ended with five. Two were the same or very similar to the sword form, two were new for me, but not too complicated. I was clumsy with them, but understood what I was supposed to do.
    My two friends stood right behind me. And when I stopped practicing for a while, they commended me to continue, so they could copy. This happens too often to me lately. I am a bit of a push-over I guess, getting commanded by even the little junior sis, who’s like 11. They’d never dare to command the teacher to show them again so they could copy Ah, whatever. When the teacher added more moves up to the 5, he actually positioned the girls so they could copy me when we go in that direction. And before I knew it, I was in front of the whole class, practicing what we just learned. I am not even surprised anymore... However, a lady proceeded to ask me about the last move. Why on Earth do people want to ask me? I don't know anymore than they do, which is what the teacher had just said. So... I just repeated what he had just said...
    Well, this class was nice, but very fast paced. Some of us knew some of the moves from the sword form and I am told there are also moves from the Saber form which I don't know, but at least one friend does. This will be interesting. The teacher mentioned finishing the fan form before Christmas. I am totally not sure if everyone would be able to do it at this pace. Those who only knew the beginning of Laojia Yilu were struggling to catch on even today. I totally understood, though. The teacher showed some moves like a couple of times and then it was copying from me and I was all clumsy about that....
    I also stood next to a teenage boy, who, at one point let go of the fan when he tried to unfold it and dropped it. I was very happy and told him I was glad I wasn’t the first one to do that. Throwing and dropping weapons (and hitting myself with them) is my specialty :D Sure enough, a couple of tries later... I was the second. :D:oops:

Taiji 19 moves or so
    meditation and still cooling. We don't split into two classes, one of the teachers wasn't there yet, so the other asked me to take the more advanced group and do the 19 moves they learned with them. So I did. The head teacher arrived and had us do it once again. Then we worked on stepping back and wrapping upper arms. He put me in front of the class and basically let me practice the stuff as a reference at times when he wasn't demonstrating it. He also found some people who were advanced somewhere between the two classes, so he made a third group and sometimes would leave this advanced group to me to practice what we were just working on and go work with the others. We were learning the next move today. When the teacher was away, I was getting questions to which I wasn't perfectly sure about the answers. I mean, I knew how I was doing it, and Iwas fairly sure is the same way the teacher does it normally, but when he was explaining it just a moment ago, he split the move into more parts. And I am not sure if that was intentional and he wanted the people to do it step by step like this, or he just showed each movement separately for clarity’s sake. So I asked people to ask the teacher when he comes back, but explained briefly how I do it so they would not get completely lost. It seemed my explanation was correct, though, phew.

Taiji 27-28 moves
    This is the class I am officially assisting with. So I led the meditation and the silk reeling. Last couple of weeks, when I finished with this warm up, the teachers hadn't yet come. Therefore, today I decided to make the silk reeling slightly longer today, just adding a couple of minutes by adding one circle to each part of silk healing. Ha! It worked! The teachers game just before we finished. :cool: It would be perfect if only my legs hadn't hurt so. I had muscles hurting on my back and around the shoulders for no reason. Well I suppose it was due to Covid. Still, this was nothing compared to how I felt after the Delta, even weeks after it. My legs were also a tiny bit shaky today, but that was it. Only a tiny bit.
    We were then split into groups and I was assisting with the more advanced one. We did the 25 moves twice and then worked on Cloud hands. Then High patting on horse and toward the end of the class we added the first kicking move. By then my muscles were tired. I felt healthy for a few days now, but when I started training, especially with the running at the beginning, I realized I'm not perfectly OK yet. But well enough :)
    I might take it a bit easy at Karate tomorrow, though.

3 hours, nearly 1500 kcal.

axelb likes this.
  8. Nachi

Thursday 6th October

Practiced the Taiji fan form during the day a few times to remember. And honestly it's fun. The sound it makes is kinda cool and surprisingly loud. It's addictive :)

Karate
    Warm-up and Junbi Undo, then we did an exercise which, apart from some kihon and changing positions etc. mostly only involved very long standing in shiko dachi. It hurt, but I pushed myself to always have the lowest stance. Then we practiced footwork, added blocks and counter strike. We drilled solo, in pair, and in groups. I did this a bit relaxedly. Also, I was the odd person, so in the final exercise I was only an uke. Also around 70 push-ups in between.
    Then we practiced some bunkai. Sensei had us blackbelts do this in group and he showed us a bunkai from Suparimpei - the highest kata, then we did some from Seiyunchin.

When the class ended, I was waiting for Sett and practiced Sepai kata, went through it three times. A couple of friends worked on Seiyunchin. I heard them discusisng something to which I had an answer, so I stepped in. And gave a few corrections to a friend brown belt.
    When they left, Sett wanted to tra if he remembered the beginning fo the Taiji spear form, so I did it with him 3x.

I felt ok after class, but a bit tired.

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Good to see you bounce back and straight onto it :)

Nachi likes this.
  10. Nachi

Yes, thank you! :)

Friday 7th October

Home Taiji practice:
    Laojia Yilu: 3
    Sword form: 7
    Spear form: 4
    + practice of the beginning of Cannon Fist form and the Fan form

Saturday 8th October

Home Taiji practice:
    Laojia Yilu: 2
    Sword form: 5
    Spear form: 1
    + practice of the beginning of Cannon Fist form

Planned to do more, but there just wasn't time. I only squeezed in two quick, like 25 mins trainings

Sunday 9th October

Home Taiji practice:
    Laojia Yilu: 2
    + practice of the beginning of Cannon Fist form

Again wanted to do more, but I spent 2 hours gardening, then we went to see some friends for a very slow, 4 km walk with their toddler and then I was baking and cooking and had no time at all for my sword form :(

axelb likes this.
  11. Nachi

Monday 10th October

No solo training as planned...

Karate kids:
    Many new ones, altogether 16 children, all of a similar size, which was nice. There were some troublemakers today, but none of them too bad. We played games, did some running and worked on basic techniques.

Karate adults:
    17 people + Sett and I. Again, the dojo was full. We started with 3 Sanchin kata, we said a few things, mostly for the beginners so we'd teach them about this kata bit by bit. Junbi Undo, then all the kihon teechniques from the first kata and then I planned to split the class by which kata they are working on for their next grading. There were 5 groups. I took two boys who were beginners and didn't know the kata, yet. Sett was happy about that, even if it meant he'd have to manage the remaining four groups. But they knew their kata, so they could practice by themselves and work on stuff Sett corrected for them.
    For my small group, it is admittedly a bit early to teach kata since they don't know the techniques in it, well, but I think it is a great opportunity since there were two of us. We went through more than a half of it, which was a good accomplishment, I thought. One of the boys was a quick learner, he was able to repeat the techniques within a few tries, the other was a bit lost, and I did my best to explain and dissect to tiniest and simplest bits, but he still tried to discuss rather than actually try, so i had to cut his questions at one point. But I think the other boy motivated him to try harder. I think they both did well. It is not often that I can teach such a chunk of kata within like, 40 mons, especially considering they've only been to a few classes so far.
    At the end of the class, each group demonstrated the kata they've been working on just now. We have a strong group that started a year ago and has now 8th kyu. There are about 6 people, who are all really good, I have to say. It is awesome to watch how they're getting better and the kata they did synchronized in a group looked awesome. I can't help, but be a bit proud considering we've been teaching half of the classes since they started. ^^ I hope they'll keep getting better. As well as everyone else, of course.

axelb likes this.
  12. Nachi

Tuesday 11th October

Morning Taiji
    Wuji meditation and a while Laojia Yilu. There are two parallel classes today. In ours, however, there are those, like me, who know the whole Laojia Yilu, two people at about the 22nd move and two others who know around 40 moves. So after the whole form we first worked on the next move for the first group. The teacher was explaining and I got like 6 corrections for that one... Then we worked on the move for the next group, a kick.
    When 30 mins passed it was time for swords. We did the basic circles. Actually we reviewed what we did a couple of weeks ago, when I was there last time. I was told I've been learning the sword for some time now so I'd better make my circles a bit smaller. I tried my best to adjust. It was hard to figure out how to fold the arm on the right side. The teacher's answer was to work it out by practice. I did kind of expected that would be the answer, though. We also added steps with the circles.
    When the class ended, I stayed behind to take the opportunity to practice the whole sword form when the gym was empty. When I was in the middle of my third form, though, the teacher came back with another person - obviously for a private class - so I up and left.

axelb likes this.
  13. Nachi

Tuesday 11th October

Taiji kung-fu
    The teacher called instructor L, the junior sis (whom I'll be calling Meimei - someone said that means junior sister in Chinese, so I am calling her that normally :D) and me to discuss what we'll train this class. He wanted me and instructor L to do a bit of push hands. Then Meimei to practice sword, to which I the two of us could join her, then Meimei and I to practice fan to have a bit more practice. The rest of the group were guys who always work on push-hands and as the teacher has been promising for about a year now, he prepared the thick mats to create a "ring" to practice pushing each other off the ring and practice various pushing stuff. I was asked if I wanted to do that or practice forms. I said I have no preference as all of that sounded like fun. I wish this class was longer so I could try all. The teacher then said that I will try the pushing once they settle down with it a bit, they're only strarting today. Well, at that time, though, everyone will have learned it, and will beat me easily! At the end of the class, two of those guys, who were former Jiujitsuka teased me with the same thing. :mad: I'd better join in next time!
    On the other hand I was busy practicing push-hands for half an hour, then with Meimei we did 3 sword forms and moved onto the fan form. We only know about five moves, the teacher corrected one for us, so we practiced it over and over basically till the end of the class. Instructor L practiced the sabers by herself, but instructed me to learn the fan form well so that I can teach her later. I thought she was kidding last time, but it looks like it really is her plan. Then I'd really better learn well.... Meimei also asked about some things, like how I can close the fan upwards without pulling it all the way to the other side. It's just a flick of the wrist, so I helped her figure it out. It's not hard, she'd just have to use more effort with her tiny wrists.

Taiji sword
    Two forms (well, the part this class has learned so far), under my lead today. The teacher then gave us pointers about some moves considering applications and such. It was intersting, I need to keep these in mind when I practice. We then practiced the next move, which is a tricky one. I got yet another correction for it.

Laojia Erlu - Cannon Fist form
    I missed last week due to covid, but although they did learn the next move, it is one that's familiar, only had a new turn, which seemed, well, pretty simply, so I caught on. Then we learned teh next move, which is also a familiar one, in theory, but had an unfamiliar fajin, and a kick with a 405° (!) turn on the standing leg o_O It looked hard. I was tired, my whole back hurt (Which was weird. Actually it might be still cause of covid...) and I had little energy left, so I didn't do well. I will need to practice later, but I paid attention to remember all the explanations, at least. I think this will actually need quite a bit of practice.
    My muscles keep hurting after a long training like this. My previously torn hamstring is giving me trouble lately again. Again, I thing this may still be some covid residue. Well, I hope it is - so that it can get better, soon.

axelb likes this.
  14. Nachi

Wednesday 12th October

Taiji fan
    One Laojia Yilu for a warm up, I was asked to lead this one. I went for low stances and finished with sweat dripping off my face. Well, I guess it always does after a whole form. I enjoyed it.
    The class was pretty full, a few new people came today. So we reviewed the moves we had learned last time. I was again asked to the front so that "people, who are learning it" have a reference. As if I wasn't one of them...
    Today we learned two new moves, both same as in the sword form, so I had an idea, but it is still quite different to do them with a fan.

Taiji 21 moves
    Silk reeling and 5 moves to 4 directions for a warm up. I got a correction for a systemic type of movement. Luckily I was able to correct it when focusing on it. I already know how to as this was a mistake I spent a lot of effort to erase, but apparently I stopped focusing.
    We practiced the same move as last time, with more details. It was good, I was reminded of some things there I forgot about.

Taiji 28 moves - assisting
    I led meditation and silk reeling. My legs hurt by now, but my hips felt nicely loose.
    We went throu the first 26 moves twice and practiced some moves from the later half. The teacher did them with us at first, then I would be in the front for practicing and we'd get corrections.
    At the end we practiced the kicks, over and over. The teacher went away, so I tried a quick explanation for a friend who missed last week.
    It was tiring and I was making (small) mistakes when I didn't focus properly. I really enjoyed today's classes again, though :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  15. Nachi

Thursday 13th October

Karate adults - teaching
    I arrived just in time today, but as always there were moms of the kids just leaving class, who I am friendly with and nearly aleays get stopped and delayed by chatting O:)
    I got caught by two today. When it was time for the class to start, sensei came to fetch me. Unfortunately it was because he had some administrative work and so I was asked to start the class, he'd come asap. Which usually means he'd come at the end or not at all... Sett didn't make it today, so the class was up to me and I had no plan. I started with variations on a game of tag warm up with 40 push-ups in between, then Junbi Undo with a bit more thorough leg stretching. 5 Neko Undo, 20 push-ups, 20 V-ups and 30 squats for a short work-out.

Dynamic leg stretching and when we were at it, I did my favourute class focused on kicking. Only practised in line as kihon ido, we went through mae, mawashi, ushiro, yoko, ura-mawashi and kakato otoshi geri. Then a combination of the first four. And 20 push-ups and 10 Neko Undo in between. Before I knew it, class was over and... yay, sensei arrived! :D Sometimes, however, we prolong the class by half an hour, so I just passed the class over to sensei, saying we did kicks. Sensei was happy we were nicely red already and had us work on kata (Sepai for me) and pads on the groung - hitting and kicking however to four pads lying or sitting on the floor. And 20 push-ups for those who weren't able to answer sensei's history question - so most.
    People did look tired, complained some, but I think the class went well, I had funat least ^^
    The only thing... I think this was like the third class in a row that I taught and someone got injured :/ One boy hurt his little toe during the warm-up. Not sure if it is broken, but could be :( Do I have bad karma or something?

16. Nachi

Friday and Saturday: Did nothing, I was busy or the weather outside wasn't very nice for training.

Sunday 16th October

Karate small seminar
    A small training with members of all 5 dojos of our associstion. Themain goal ws to gather after to discuss the economy, plans, etc. for the association. But before that we did 3 hours of training.

1st blok - Junbi Undo + footwork and kihon. We really hoped the training today would be more technical as the showerd in the gym did not work, but... Sweat was dripping off of me after this...

2nd block - We were split into two groups now, and we had ablack belt group. Everyone practiced the kata for their next grading. There were three of us with Nidan and we practiced Sepai bunkai. None of us really rememebred them, but sensei always showed os one of more for us to practice. In the end we only went through five. But hopefully I might remember a bit?

2nd block - taught to the blakc belt group by our sensei. He, Sett and I were the only attendees there from the recent online Sanchin seminar, so sensei was basically talking about what we learned, letting us chime in if we remembered something he didn't mention. NOt much practice there, mostly talking.

3 hours, but I still burned 940 kcal.

axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

Monday 17th October

Karate kids
    16 children came today. We played games - running competition in team with a bit of workout for a warm-up, then quick Junbi Undo. As for the technical part we did some footwork and a couple of techniques, made it into an easy combination. And a game at the end. Class went well.

Karate adults
    We started with 3 Sanchin katas, ading intensity and things to pay attention to. Then quick Junbi Undo as I had plans and we only had an hour left. We did a circuit workout. 15 people, each got either a chi-ishi or a stone or nothing. We did a round of an exercise with what each person had, then moved to the left. For each new round with the same thing we changed up the exercise. And always did 20 basic techniques in between. This took about 45 mins. I wanted to do some kata at the end, to help the two new guys remember the beginning I taught them last time and parhaps learn a bit more. Our group was joined by two younger ones who knew the whole kata, but were still making mistakes. I had to let them practice by themselves and occassionally stopped by or had them join me and the two newcomers. The rest, most of the class worked on Saifa with Sett. Our training officially lasts 1,5 hours, but sometimes we prolong it to two. Like we did today. Although it wasn't our intention...

Mitch likes this.
  18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sanchin strikes me as a really interesting and different kata, something I'd like to spend more time on.

Nachi likes this.
  19. Nachi

It definitely is. :) We just had an awesome seminar on Sanchin recently and I have things to work on (well, many things). I should spend more time on it, too.

You are a Taekwondo guy, right? Where did you learn Sanchin from? :) Are you practicing it?
    Is there Sanchin kata or any kind of breathing kata in Taekwondo? (I don't know much beyond the well-known facts about this art :oops:)

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

We don't have it in TKD, but I briefly studied Kyokushin and learnt a version of it there, definitely enough to pique my curiosity :)