Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Friday 22nd July

Taiji seminar

Today is the last full day of the seminar. I only did one form in the morning, as a means to warm-up and stretch. My knees were a litle bit stiff and I must have pulled something in right hip, so I tried stretching it in various directions. After this and warm-up it was better. I nly did one form as the teacher wanted to take pictures of some of us. I spent some time in Dragon on the ground and other relatively low stances. As the teacer planned for a few days now, our trio practicing and learning the sword form showed the form on camera. I didn’t know it whole, so we only did the part I knew and also did it piece by piece.

A few more pictures nad videos of evryone aftr breakfast before we moved onto the kicks. Again, I learned useful stuff.

We then took swords, reviewd and corrected some parts, and then I was shown the next 5 moves, basically in one go. We were taking turns n the shade and when we finished the sword it was time for the spear group. I wanted to go practice what I hadjust learned, but in the end couldn't resist and grabbed the spear, too. I found a spot for sword practice when tehre were weapons.I didnt know. I wanted to ake a break 15 mins before lunch as I was alreadm fairly tired, but just as was going to sit, the teacherasked people to leave a bit of space “Nachi is still going to practice the sword, isn't she?” Ugh.

after lunch we started at 4 pm. We learned the kicking part the teacher plnned for or group and was thinking about what todo. I previously askjed if we could půractice how to do fajins if there was the time. And the teacher offereed that. The members of our group seemed vry happy and grateful to me or such a “great” idea. It was hot and we were tired after a week of like 7 hours of training a day. The teacher let us practice some fajins in the kicking sequence and explained some to the detail.

We then chatted a bit and practiced the sword for a bit. I leraned the final form which was the only one missing. I atually finished learning the form! :) I learned most of it in htis week. The teacher wanted me to finish it before the course of Cannon Fist started in September. The coursae I was learning hte sword at will go on till at least January he said.There’s still a lot to polish, obviously. I need to familiarize myself withthe form and hopefully during ummer there will be some chances to get corrections. :)

axelb likes this.
  2. Nachi

Saturday 23rd July

Taiji seminar - last day

We started practice as usual by three Lao Jia Yilus. My body didn’t listen to me wel an knees werestiff, some pulled muscle near my right hip hurt a little, so I did them in higher stances. We then stretched, which didn’t go that well, either, and meditated. After breakfast we briefly went twice through the kicking sequence and then one by one showed the part we’ve been working on this week to get some general tips from the teacher. I was aske to do the sword form, together with my two king-fu sisters with whom I practiced this week. My stiff legs got better, so I was able to do the stances quite well, surprisingly. My most important homework as to practice the sword now to make sure I remember the form along with the details, as I learned it very fast now. It is definitely what I was planning to do anyway.

With that the seminar came to an end. I packed my stuff and said my goodbyes to everyone as I met them. When I was about to leave after saying my goodbye to the teacher, he asked: “Isn’t it about time you taught a course by yourself starting in September?” I didnt expect that, but wasynt really against. We discussed a bit about my time and about the teacher preparng some sort of schedule. He aslo said he may be the main teacher there on Wednesdays instead of the teacher I’ve usually assisted to. Well, lets see what the new season brings.

3. Nachi

Tuesday 26th July

Morning Taiji
    I arrived 30 mins earlier to go through the sword form. First time the form seemed to be over rather soon and I realized I skipped two parts... IN the next try, I messed up the order and in the third, I have done something I think might have been right, but I am not sure. I'll check a video of the form later...
    The training started with meditation, silk reeling and Lao Jia Yilu. Despite resting a couple of days, my knees were rather stiff and the right one hurt a little, so I wasn't able to do low stances and was a bit stiff in general. This class we learned and polished Protect-the-heart fist.

After class I spoke to the teacher, who now mentioned that as one of the younger instructors, he might actually ask me to lead one of the children classes. Which would focus on stances, larning to stand well, stretching, strenghtening legs, etc. Phew. I am afraid I am not so great with children, but I can see his train of thoguht. There are three senior instructors who are a little to quite a bit younger than me, but it is unsure how many of them will be able to teach the children next year.

Mitch likes this.
  4. Nachi

Tuesday 26th July

Taiji Kung-fu
    Not many people come to this class in summer, so the teacher planned for our sword trio to practice the sword form today. Two other people came and practiced push-hands while we went through the sword form several times. My knees feel alright, I was able to do low stances so I pushed myself a bit. My legs have become stronger and hips softer in the past week-long seminar :) The teacher gave us many corrections and had us do the form relatively fast, too, shouting the pace. I felt it was nice, though it had me breathing hard. The sword form usually does and it doesn't even need to be fast...
    It felt great, though. I really really enjoy the sword form.

Taiji sword
    The usual sword class. One Lao Jia Yilu att he beginning, then practicing the sword form till 22nd move (out of 50). We added two new ones, practicing a jump and a following veeery low stance right after. I think I found out why my right knee and hip hurt after last week. It totally has to do with this stance! :D Probably not the stance itself, but getting in and out of it smoothly. By this time, sweat was pouring off me.

Taiji - Lao Jia Yi Lu
    Two sword classes pushing my stances and one pushing the speed and I was done. Honestly. My knee hurt again - in the kind of pain as before - simply overloaded, I'd say. It even hurt upon touch. I could still practice, but when I took the tiniest break, it stiffened up. We did the whole Lao JIa Yilu in the beginning, in a rather slow pace, which was a little torture. I for sure did not push my stances anymore... The teacher then had us practice fajins. I honestly just had no energy left. I had to get up from the stances and stretch my legs quite often and my fajins weren't as strong as I'd like them to be. I thought I'd just push through the rest of this class somehow. But then the teacher said we'd do the whole form again and isert the fajins everywhere they should be. He'd do the form with us, dictating a rather slow pace, too. It was.. harsh. We finished a few minutees before the end and I could hardly do anything else. I made sure to stratch a bit after the class, but legs were stiffer than they used to be.
    I was completely wet with sweat and compeltely tired. Hip, knee, etc. hurt. And elbow. I realised that when a friend talked me inot showing him the first quarted of the spear from as he had forgot some moves. Yeah, just what I wanted to do right now. So glad I at least came here riding my bike, not by a tram.

Not sure why I was this tired. Maybe it was also the summer heat. Maybe I should just lose some weight or train more. Or both....

Time: 3:03
    Max HR: 177
    Average HR: 140 (considering how slow I was moving in the last hour, this is fairly high for my standards)
    Training benefit: Tempo training + (probably one of very few trainings I achieved this when the training lasted 3 hours)
    Kcal: 1598
    Training load: Very High: 306

4 mins in the 5th HR zone, 50 mins in the 4th...

5. Nachi

Wednesday 27th July

I didn't get a good night's rest. I didn't sleep long enough and my average HR in my sleep was actually 77 bmp (normally it is slightly over 50 I think). I probably really overdid it yesterday. I planned to practice at home for a while today, but in the end decided to rest instead.

Taiji - teaching
    So this week, the teacher I assist to with today's classes is on vacation. I was worried I would be left alone with two groups at the same time, but luckily the head teacher said he'd come today instead.
    He also said he will be teaching the Wednesdays starting September, and smiling my way: "So you'll be assisting me, then!" On one hand it is nice, on the other, seeing that bright smile of his, my sixth sense told me I probably shouldn't be too happy about this. The head teacher loves to push me into situations way out of my comfort zone. But hey, what could he possibly come up with? There will be no group of people more advanced than me, there will be two of us, I agreed to teach one of the groups by myself anyway, so there can't be anything unexpected he can pull on me, right? ....was what I thought.

Today was just such a day when the head teacher came instead of the usual one. Normally the head teacher is out of the city and teaching online class he started during covid at this time, but it seemed like he probably recorded it in advance or something, since he was planning to teach these classes. ...Yeah, right. So yesterday, the teacher told me: "Oh, Nachi, I just realised! I will be here tomorrow, but I forgot I have an online class at this time!" How does one forget that? He was doing it every Wednesday for the past like two years!
    So, yes, I was indeed asked to teach both groups by myself. Awesome. Well, at least I knew in advance and could think up a strategy. But I was away last week and didn't know what they had worked on, so how exactly do I work up a strategy? The only plan I had was to join the two groups, since the more advanced one is rather small, and work on the beginning of the form. Two groups at one time seemed too difficult.

I arrived with this plan just when the teacher was wrapping up the previous classes. But, he totally didn't dissappoint and yet again caught me unprepared. He saw three people who just attended the class, but would continue in my class and were just at the seminar where they learned up to the 8th move. The teacher told them to make a separate group, then the group with 5 moves and the advanced with 26. When he split everyone in this way, I was about to shoot him a glance, but he was gone as soon as I started with my sarcastic remark: "Sure, why make it easy for me. Two groups or three, there sure is no difference!". Dammit!

I started the class with meditation and silk reeling, then gave two groups stuff to practice while I went to the 8 moves group first. One lady asked if I could explain the 7th move. But there was another, who only knew up to the 6th one. So I explained that better as she only learned briefly.
    After practicing a bit, I saw the least advanced group finished the 5 moves to four directions twice, so I went through the 5 moves with them and saw there was something to work one right in the first move, so I explained to more detail and practiced with them. At this time, one woman of the four people in this group saw the 8 moves group and found out those were actually people from her group, but they were learning ahead, so she was worried whe was losing out and went to join them.
    For now I moved over to the 26 moves group, practicing the longer version of Cloud Hands. One person missed the explanation last time, so I went over how to do the movements so he doesn't move his knees sideways, looking uncomfortable. I practiced with them for a while and gave them stuff to focus on and practice while I returned to the first group with 8/6 moves. The woman who had just joined didn't know the 6th move at all, so we stopped there and I explained the even more basic basics of it and practiced for a while. She caught up quite well, though. I got a request to explain the 7th move again, but... that was already beyond of what I was capable of doing time-wise. 4 groups would be way too many.
    I moved again to the 5 moves group and again went with them through the first move, pointing out more of the mechanics of it. We didn't actually go further. There was a skill that if they perfected, it would help in general, so I hoped to tackle that. But it is not an easy thing, so they were trying, but it would take more practice. I wanted them to go through the 5 moves again, but saw the class was already over. I only went to the 26th moves group once, but apparently, they weren't in a hurry to leave and had some questions, so I did my best to give all the tips and mechanics that help me do this move well (not perfectly, but helped me with it). We finished a little later, then.

It was a bit frustrating. I worried so much about having two groups at once and ended up with 3 instead. -_-
    I was worried if this class would be worth it for the people. Especially there was an older lady in the least advanced group that doesn't come regularly and I hoped she wouldn't be upset it is only me teaching the class and three groups at once at that. But it was her who found me after class and said that the things we worked one were the stuff she struggles with and would like to improve and that it is nice to copy from me, she can see the movement in me, so hopefully she will be able to learn it that way. This was so sweet of her. It made me really happy.

6. Nachi

Thursday 28th July

Since there are no regular karate classes now, I thought I might go to Taiji today, but in hte end sensei announced a training today.
    It’s been probably exactly a month since I last did karate, so it is about time I went to class.

Karate
    I arrived slightly late, but apparently, sensei was a bit late, too, so I joined in the Junbi Undo. We worked on some kicks and basic combination, each with one of those kicks. We worked in pairs. I started with sensei and... he went a bit too harsh for me for my beginning. I wasn’t able to easily get into karate mode, my kime didn’t go too well, my hips felt looser than before and I first had to coordinate my body to do the techniques well. So I got punched and kicked again and again, always pushed towards the window behind me, which made me nervous and distracted and when I looked back, I got punched again. Sensei wasn’t going full power, obviously, but I could still feel the hits, especially when I got one into the face, though that one was the lightest.
    We were changing partners then and all of the rest were younger and waaay softer than sensei, so it was relaxing, or I was helping them to get the combination right.
    Then we worked ona long cmbination adding techniques with one partner and one Tensho kata at the end.

It was hot and the kicks at the beginning made me breath hard, but later it was more relaxed, so only 650 kcal burnt in 2 hours.

7. Nachi

Friday 29th July

My dad is t our family's summer house and I went to visit him. I still had work to do on Friday, but in the evening we went for a short, 4,5 km walk. (with ice cream being the goal)

Saturday 30th July

My dad waited for me with a birdwatching trip to try and see a Three-toed Woodpecker. It is very rare here, we made a fewt trips to see it in the past years, but were never successful. An adult with a chick was reported not far from here, so we went. The car couldn't go in the forest so we made a 8,5 km walk. We stayed in the place for 3é or more minutes, but again, no woodpecker anyway. At least it was a nice walk through a nice forest... Except it rained, but only shortly. 870 kcal

Sunday 31st July

Another trip - walk. Around 8 km. It was last day of our stay, so my dad went on a bike trip first and then on a walk with me. I didn't have my bike here, unfortunately. It is a hilly area, though, I am kind of proud of my dad, who keeps riding these hills much more effortlessly then me in his 60 years of age.
    I also briefly worked on the sword form - only went through it twice.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  8. Nachi

Monday 1st August

Sensei said he might do a training today, but in the end there was none. I was thinking about therefore going to taiji instead, then about practicing at home, but I only had time in the evening and it was so unbearable hot that I felt like I was melting just sitting. I really felt like doing some activity, but didn't feel like getting off my chair.
    Luckily, Seth asked me if I wanted to do some weight training with him he's been doing lately according to instructions from Garmin. He actually brought his barbell and dumbells his dad has and haven't used for a while, even brought a bench, stole my kettlebell, jump rope, ab wheel and foam roller and made a tiny gym corner in the living room. I thought I'd like to try sometime. Today I found it hard to find motivation to do anything, but if there were two of us, that was a motivation good enough!
    I just did what Sett was doing. I was worried I may not be able to do all exercises, especially the one-armed press and one-armed swing with the same weight and number of reps, but I pulled through in the end.

Weight training:

Barbell bench press (25 kg - or 24, not sure about the weight of the bar) - 3x15 - this was actually my very first time doing bench press...

Goblet (sumo) squat (16 kg kettlebell) - 3x15

One-legged Deadlift, alternating
    (25 kg barbell) - 3x30

Seated one-arm press (9,5 kg dumbell) - 3x15 per side

Bent-over row (9,5 dumbell) - 3x15 per side

One-armed kettlebell swing (16 kg) - 1x30 per side - this was rather tough, I felt my wrists

Sit-ups with a dumbell in one hand (9,5 kg) - 3x10 per side

It was a nice work-out, not overly exhausting, but I some exercises I wasn't very used to and some were a bit difficult as mentioned before.
    We alternated with Seth, so while one was doing a set, the other was resting and we took turns. Therefor the work-out took nearly 40 mins. I burned 260 kcal.

After this was planning to do a few Taiji sword form outside, but it just started raining...
    So I at least did 15 kicking sequences. A friend and I have a new Taiji challenge for August - do 150 kicking sequences (about 10 moves with a lot of kicks) and 150 whole sword forms this month.

August Taiji challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 15 (total: 15/150)
    Sword form: 0 (total: 0/150)

9. Nachi

Tuesday 2nd August

Morning Taiji
    surprisingly I'm not sore from yesterday. Only I pulled a tiny muscle in my neck when stretching just before getting out of bed...
    I arrived not as soon as I planned, but 13 mins earlier and I went through my sword form 3x. The last one was a bit more fast-paced as it was nearly time for class. I was breathing hard ever since finishing the first and I didn't have time for breaks in between them, so...

THe regular teacher is away today, and the second one has a summer camp for children, and they were practicing outside. So the class was taught by a senior instructor. We did meditation, silk-reeling and then split. Our group went to do Lao Jia Yilu as usual, then the instructor told us to do once more while he'd be with the less advnced group. IN the last 10 mins of class he asked if we had anything where we were unsure that he could help us with, however, none of us could think of anything. It was hot, we exercised a lot and sweat was pouring off me from even before the class started, and I had no capacity to think. I said that we could just join the other group he was teaching and practicing the first five moves with, so we did.

Time: 1:13
    Max HR: 170
    Average HR: 136
    Training benefit: Steady state and Tempo training
    Kcal: 636
    Training load: High: 111

I spent good 18 mins in the 4th HR zone.

10. Nachi

Tuesday 2nd August

Taiji Kung-fu
    Usual teacher is away, second teacher was teaching today. However, there were, as expected, very few of us - four people and three of us were instructors, so the teacher proceeded to call out to the most senior one to take the class.
    We started with one Lao JIa Yilu. I was fresh, did low stances, focused on breath a bit. I enjoyed this one. Then we worked on Tui show. My usual partner wasn't here, so I paired up with a guy I knew, of similar level of experience to me. We went through various types of push hands, he saw some mistake in one and tried to correct me. I appreciated any input and what he said made sense, but I had a hard time putting it to practice.
    When it came to double handed push-hands, I think his way of doing it wasn't that great and I struggled a bit to adapt to it. When we did this the teaching instructor asked if we had some questions of needed some help. I asked if he had any tips as we weren't doing particularly well, and he had. He tried with both of us, I got a couple of corrections and he generally told us we simply need to practice more that we simply aren't that familiar with the motion. Fair enough.

Taiji sword
    Usual teacher is away, instructor L teaching today. We did Lao Jia Yilu and who knew also Lao Jia Erlu (not me) for a warm-up. Then we did some basic sword exercises, went through the first half of the sword formt the group knew three times and worked more and the end - the newly learned moves. I got a correction specifically as I was pushing myself into a particularly low stance there. My knee was buckling in apparently, which I hadn't noticed at all, so this was very appreciated.

Taiji - Lao Jia Yilu
    One form for a warm-up. Today the usual isntructor did it faster, which I was sooo happy about :D I had my stances a little bit higher by this point, but did my best. When the teacher came, he explained and demonstrated some fajins and we practiced. This group is going to start learning the Cannon Fist form starting in September and so it is high time we polished our explosive techniques. We worked on several examples for a while. I felt it went relatively well, but there's still much to be polished. Making the moves smaller, more effective. After this practice the teacher told us to do one more Lao Jia Yilu with several fajins. We always do it with these fajins! We did it exactly this way in the beginning. Ahhh, no, it is my sixth today, I'm tired! When we finished, the teacher just arrived with a long staff (2,5-3 m?). He showed how fajins and some of the mechanics can be practiced with a staff or spear. The longer the easier. Who wants to try? This was the moment we finished the form and I was really tired, so I didn't really want to do it, I wanted to gather my remaining energy for a bit. It took only a second, though, and I became the involuntary volunteer. I did this technique before when first learning the basic spear skills. I honestly haven't practiced this much and it has been long since I tried last. However, it took a couple of times for a warm-up and the flexible staff was shaking nicely, actually shaking my body and teeth back. After a few tries I passed the staff to the next person. I later tried on my left side and that was much harder :D
    When the class ended, a friend, a long-time student. who formerly probably also helped as an instructor, was still trying, but in vain and she called me over when I was stretching. I did my best to explain the mechanics and correct her. She did better, I think. The staff shook at least a little. This person has been doing Taiji for a long time, yet she's never hesitated to seek advice from even newbie like me. Or whoever who seemed to have the skill she wanted help with. I appreciate that attitude. When a guy came with unsolicited advice, however, partially teasing her, the next strike stopped a centimeter from his face. Scary.

The next class was starting outside, so I used the now emptied gym to do two more sword forms for our challenge. Would have done more, but I was tired and wobbly.

Time: 3:17
    Max HR: 168
    Average HR: 122
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 1318
    Training load: Very high: 218

August Taiji challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 2 (total: 17/150)
    Sword form: 5 (total: 5/150)
    Lao Jia Yilu: 6 (total: 6)

11. Nachi

Wednesday 3rd August

Taiji -assisting
    It was hot in the gym, but even hotter outside on the terrace where the sun was hitting, so we stayed inside.
    Meditation and short silk reeling (as I was asked), then we all did 5 moves to 4 directions and I went through the first 25 moves with the more advanced group. The teacher was explaining the sixth move to the other group, where I was sent after that and for the rest of the class I was practicing this move with them. And explaining. I think it went quite well. I need to work on organizing my thoughts and explaining stuff, though. Sometimes I can't find the words. And I struggle with left and right, which is also fairly annoying when explaining stuff.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Look up Dan John on YOUTUBE and his Easy Strength workout, which is a brilliant 8 week programme. Then check out his other programmes, based around pull, push, hinge, squat, carry. Also his Armour Building Complex might work for you.

Your log is still such an inspiration Nachi :)

Nachi likes this.
  13. Nachi

Thank you for the tip, I will check it out!

Thanks a lot ^^

14. Nachi

Thursday & Friday

Nothing really except 5 sword forms each day.

15. Nachi

Saturday 6th August

Taiji seminar
    There is an ongoing 5-day semnar, and I decided to come for at least a day. There were heats this week and no rain, but it was suppposed to come this night. Great, just as I was planning to ride my motorbike there early in the morning. I texted instructor L to find out where the morning training starts and due to the awaited raiin it was postponed to 8 am.
    I rode from our cottage, which is about 1,5 hours on my bike. It has stopped raining, and souldn’t anymore, but it started soon and rained, though lightly for the first half of my ride. I was getting colder and colder and when I finally arrived and got off the bike, I started shivering all over. When I entered, I firt saw instructor L working on her spea form. When she saw me, she said she’d practice the spear later with me since I came and gave me first aid in the form of several small cups of hot tea. Ahhh, I love her! My hands were shaky and numb, so I spilled one cup on my hands.

I was also riding slow and stared the ride late, so I didn’t join the group practice that was about to end. After breakfast when the practice started I was getting warmer. It rained for a bit again, but only before we actually started. We worked on the 16th and 17th moves of La Jia Yilu. I have some problem there, need to work them out.
    In the second half we did weapons, I brought my sword with me, so I grabbed that. I joined a group of instructor L and two people who knew the beginning of the form and were learning up to the 24th or so where the group class back in Prague was at.
    We practiced that part over and over and I went through thie whole form till here with them three times when instructor L went to practice something else. I later left, too, I meant to practice the whole form both to remember and for the challenge. I did it 5 times before it was about time for lunch.

After lunch, since I had no bed to relax on, I was going to just stay outside and perhaps practice. Instructor L decided to keep me company, which was nice. We drank tea and ate a whole chocolate....
    Before the practice started at 3 pm, we went through the spear form once and twice through the sword one.
    In the afternoon we worked on the 18th and 19th moves. I got some corrections again, figured some stuff a bit better and generally had fun.
    Then we worked on push hands for about half an hour. The teacher decided to demonstrate with me. He showed the etiquette and showed how to stand. Then he got an idea we could try the leg push... well... legs, I guess? He told me to touch belowe our knee caps. How the heck could my poor little knee reach up to his? It ended up being more like a shin to knee, but it worked. I’ve never tried this before. Later we showed the single hand version and then I practiced with instructor L and soon were asked to practice the double-handed version,.
    Then was the time for weapons again. We practiced the sword, intructor L didn’t join us this time. The teacher was mostly with another, larger grup and the two from my group were worried the teacher won’t come in time to show them the next move and since there are still 3-4 left to learn and they only have tommorrow morning, they talked me into showing them the next one. I was a bit reluctant, I just learned it myself recently and was worried I’d explain it badly, but still was talked into it. When instructor L seemed to be on a break, I asked if she could help them with this move and she explained the same as me, phew. I then practiced it with the two and did my bet to figure where the problems were when they had trouble doing it. The teacher did arrive later and gave us corrections to the previous moves, I got some very nice ones and then told me to move forward with the next moe. I said we already did, but the teacher went to take care of something and unfortunately did not return before the dinner was ready.
    I had to leave shortly after dinner and when the peson whom I was helping with the sword saw me leaving frm afar, she actually ran to thank me that she appreciated my help with the sword. Well, it was nothing, really, but it was so nice of her.
    Too bad the day was over so quick, I really enjoyed it today. And the weather was nice, too, as it got like 10°C colder after the rain, compared to yesterday.

16. Nachi

Sunday 7th August

6 sword forms in the morning.

August Taiji challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 0 (total: 17/150)
    Sword form: 6 (total: 33/150)
    Lao Jia Yilu: 0 (total: 6)
    Spear form: 0 (total: 1)

I did some chores before lunch and after, Sett and I went cycling. I have only been once this year, so I wanted something easy for a warm-up before we go on a longer trip. We went an easy road, 27 km. Average speed was slightly over 19 km/h, 640 kcal. My legs did feel tired, but I think it is also due to the slight wind and because of a lot of training yesterday.
    When we came back, Sett gave me barely the time to drink some water before we did half an hour strenght training - same as last time:

Barbell bench press
    (25 kg - or 24, not sure about the weight of the bar) - 3x15
    Goblet (sumo) squat (16 kg kettlebell) - 3x15
    One-legged Deadlift, alternating (25 kg barbell) - 3x30
    Seated one-arm press (9,5 kg dumbell) - 3x15 per side
    Bent-over row (9,5 dumbell) - 3x15 per side
    One-armed kettlebell swing (16 kg) - 1x30 per side
    Sit-ups with a dumbell in one hand (9,5 kg) - 3x10 per side

And a walk for a dinner in the evening: 5 km.

17. Nachi

Monday 8th August

6 sword forms and 5 kicking sequences in the morning

The same weight training as yesterday. Today was easier, I wasn't tired after the previous activities.

August Taiji challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 5 (total: 22/150)
    Sword form: 6 (total: 39/150)
    Lao Jia Yilu: 0 (total: 6)

18. Nachi

Tuesday 9th August

Morning Taiji
    I arrived 15-20 mins earlier and brought my sword to do a few forms. Did 3.

The class started with meditation and silk reeling and one Lao Jia Yilu. The usual teacher wasn't there today, but it wasnt just the instructor, but the second teacher came and taught our group. We worked on Walking Obliquely or a bit and then on a couple of kicking moves and Protect-the-Heart Fist.
    When the class ended, I did one more sword form.

Nearly 600 kcal. My legs felt a bit tired.

19. Nachi

Tuesday 9th August

Taiji kung-fu
    I arrived on time, but was the first person there. Only three of us came and two instructors who went elsewhere to practice by themselves. We chatted for a bit and then since it looked like no teacher was coming, we made this class self-study. I did one Lao Jia Yilu, worked a bit on a couple of moves from the last seminar, did 3 kicking sequences and picked up my sword. I did some basic exercises and then a couple forms, but not to overly exhause myself. I still had time for third and 3-4 mins left till next class. People were already gathering, but I went for one more. A faster paced one.

Taiji sword
    Instructor L teaching today. Lao Jia Yilu at the beginning, then basic sword exercises, the first half of the form twice - we split into two groups to have more space, then we worked on the few last moves we learned. And one more form at the end (the half we learned so far).

Taiji - Lao Jia Yilu

Lao Jia Yilu at the beginning, then we worked on fajins in various moves in preparation for learning the Cannon Fist form.

After class I stretched nad did one more sword form. I am not counting when the form isn't whole, therefore I have 9 today. :)

August Taiji challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 6 (total: 28/150)
    Sword form: 9 (total: 48/150)
    Lao Jia Yilu: 4 (total: 10)

20. Nachi

Wednesday 1éth August

Morning Taiji solo practice
    5 sword forms and 10x kicking sequence, about 40 mins total.

Taiji - assisting
    I arrived half an hour early today and joined the previous class, working on the moves I received some corrections for on Saturday, so I was happy to practice that. Although the end of the class I arrived to was more about expalining and not that much continual practice.
    There were very few people both in the previous class and in the one I was assisting with. People probably prefer to spend tim eoutside or are on vacations in this summer time.
    We did meditation and silk reeling, then the teacher took the less advanced group inside and my task was to work with the only two remaining guys on Cloud Hands, which we did. It was a nice class I'd say. I did a lot of explaining of the mechanics to help them get the idea and we practiced a lot, too. The guys said my explanation was good (thank goodness, I am always not very confident in this) and they get it, but just can't do it. Well, neither can I (as well as I'd like) :D But I hope I gave them stuff to work on for this move. It is a hard one, honestly.

August Taiji challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 10 (total: 38/150)
    Sword form: 5 (total: 53/150)
    Lao Jia Yilu: 0 (total: 10)