Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sunday 27th March

Busy day. For training, I only wanted to do some sequences for the challenge and only had time in the morning. Did 21. And 700 sit-ups throughout the day.

Taiji March challenge:
    Spear form: 0 (total: 12)
    Kicking sequence: 21 (total: 279)
    Karate March challenge:
    Kata: 0 (total: 18)
    Sit-ups: 700 (total: 13300)

2. Nachi

Monday 28th March

Busy day again. Didn't have time for any kicking sequences :( I sent my article I spent the Saturday with - at least the text part - and got a positive reaction so far and was promised enough space for it. Yay! I couldn't fit in the two pages I promised to try to fit into, but today I was promised three! Thank goodness! I just really really didn't want to go back and try to delete a third of it. I seriously don't know when I'd find the time for it. I'm so happy! Maybe way too much :D Now just to finish the last illustration asap.

Karate kids
    We had a program prepared with Sett, so I thought it wouldn't matter much if I wasn't present for the warm-up and Junbi Undo and arrived only for the second half. When I did, we worked on the kata for a bit, then Sett and I held pads and hung one bad for the kids to kick and punch.

Karate adults
    We started with a couple of Sanchin kata as usual, then let people stretch while we prepared things for Hojo Undo. We did six stations by 4 mins each, with some kihon in between. Each station was occupied by two people. Sett and I formed one pair and we also looked around and if we saw something off that needed correcting or someone lost in what to do, we went to help. So Like this I missed basically two whole rounds.
    Since last couple of weeks we worked on kakie and some joint manipulation techniques, today we reviewed kakie and tried three techniques from that. There was an odd number of us, so I also participated, being a partner to a new boy. I tried my best to improve his technique. He didn't react too well to corrections and things I explained, but when he was a bit more comfortable I added more resistance to make him push with his whole body etc. and his technique did make some progress throughout the time, which was nice to see.
    To be honest, I didn't break much sweat during this training. Only did a bit of Hojo Undo and the boy was very slim and a beginner, so the kakie was more on the technical side, especially with the locs we were practicing.
    650 kcal.

Taiji March challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 0 (total: 279)
    Karate March challenge:
    Kata: 4 (total: 22)
    Sit-ups: 500 (total: 13800)

3. Nachi

Tuesday 29th March

Morning Taiji
    Arrived early and did 5 kicking sequences.
    When the class started, we did wuji meditation and the whole form. Then we worked on Cloud Hands and mostly on High Patting on Horse. Last time we focused on legs, today we practiced arms. We did it without the steps and on both sides and the teacher set rules to follow to imrpove the form and it was very hard to synchronize everything. When we later practiced the whole form, legs included, I was more confused then before... And then some more corrections for the legs and I felt helpless. I theoretically at least know what to do, so I'll have to work on that.
    500 kcal.

cloudz likes this.
  4. Nachi

Tuesday 29th March

Taiji kung-fu
    Too busy and arrived late. At the end of silk reeling. The class was split into those more and less advanced in Tui shou. I had both my usual partners - the two other girls present and I find it a bit awkward that we're put into the more advnaced group. THe only reason is that one of us is instructor L, who is the only one advanced among the three of us. I am perhaps three lessons ahead of the "less adanced" and they are probably doing one more class right after this one on Tui shou, so... Anyway, the thre of us girls were taking turns practicing in a pair. When I did a round with both of them, it was my turn to stand besides them and try to copy the moves and get the feel of it, synchronize the arms with hips, etc. Teacher P, teaching the "less" advanced saw I had nothing better to do and called me over to act as his partner and demonstrate the double-handed push hands to the group who was just learning it. Luckily, I didn't need much skill as we mostly went step by step with the teacher'S explanation and the rest trying to copy what we were doing. It was an awesome opportunity to practice with a teacher, but it was a lot of explaining and not really trying much without stopping. Also it is a pity that both our teacher are fairly tall. I barely reach up to their chin. So when practicing I had a tendency to lean forward way too much when pushing and when the teacher was explaining the technique and demonstrating what his arms are doing, probably in order to be able to show how far to reach, he did his pushing basically above my head XD Ah, well... I felt a bit like a midget.

Taiji sword
    One whole Lao Jia Yi Lu for a warm-up, then practicing the basic sword skills and the form up till where we knew it. We went through all the moves we knew a few times and the teacher showed us one new.
    My legs felt strong today, I actually felt more comfortable than usual in some positions and was thus able to push myself lower or stay a tiny bit lower in some transitions. Anyway, good feeling.
    The gym was hot, or rather, I felt very hot, so in doing the whole form, with fajins, drops of sweat were actually flying off me...
    Since I was told to try and learn the form with breathing, I am recently trying to focus on that. I asked the teacher last week what to do if I need to breath faster and faster. Do I speed up the pace? That's pretty much the reason I am unable to match my breathing with the rhytm of the form. I was told not to do that and try to calm my breath down in the easy move or wide positions where I can slow down. (I can't say it works so far, though). I wa told if I can't do that, to breath more frequently, but still in the rhytm. I understood it as doing more breaths doing one move. The teacher said I should learn to do the whole form without breathing through the mouth, so I focused on that. I think I was able to do it, but was a bit out of breath afterwards...

Taiji - Lao Jia Yi Lu
    Whole Lao Jia Yi Lu for a warm-up again. Led by the usual instructor and his slow pace that I seriously couldn't match today, either. I was out of breath soon and considering the previous classes I couldn't breath as slow no matter what. I at least tried to keep my mouth shut, but ended up breathing fairly heavily when we finished.
    Today teacher P was teaching and we went through several moves from the middle of the form. He also let us stand in a bow stance and went around correcting our posture. We were allowed to change sides as we needed, but it was still... tough. THe teacher also showed several applications for those moves and that was great.

No time today, managed only 200 sit-ups... Anyway, my goal is 15 000 and I've only 1000 left and two more days to finish them, so I guess it's ok.
    Taiji March challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 9 (total: 288)
    Karate March challenge:
    Kata: 0 (total: 22)
    Sit-ups: 200 (total: 14000)

5. Nachi

Wednesday 30th March

Ever since Saturday, it feels like I was spending each free minute working on the article still. It was already at the limit lenght when the editor asked me if I could add this and elaborate on that and I said before I have a few illustrations I'll still add. So, in the end, as expected, we had 4 pages and I was nervously expecting I'd have to cut it somehow back to 3. Luckily the editor promised to do some magic and try to get me enough space. I definitely hope she knows that kind of magic well. It feels so nice to be finished! It was a bit stressful to fit everything around work and trainings, which I either didn't want to or couldn't miss as I was there as an instructor...
    I am honestly quite looking forward to seeing it in print :)

Taiji - assisting
    Arrived 10 mins early and like last time I planned to inconspicuously join the group practicing 14 moves for a warm up and because it's better to practice than just sit around. I quietly moved to the back, but when the teacher saw me joining, he thought since I was here, I may as well go to the front and be the "pacemaker".
    When the next class started, we did wuji meditation and silk reeling. I honestly don't know it it's the temperatures finally (and temporarily) finally seeming a bit like spring, but this week especially, when doing Taiji, I sweat buckets. So already during wuji I had sweat running down my forehead and back.
    After silk reeling I did the 25 moves with the moer advanced group twice, then switched places with the teacher and till the end practiced the first two moves with the less experienced group. We worked on silk reeling in those stances and moves and corrected the stances. I again confused left and right, when reminding pepole where to shift weight, confusing the group. I'd better just point to the side instead of naming it :rolleyes:... I mean, I try to do that instead of saying "left" or "right" as much as I can, but sometimes it's inevitable and sadly there's about 50:50 chance I'd say it wrong if I don't focus hard.

When I came home, being done with the article, I tried to catch up with a few sit-ups and kicking sequences.

Taiji March challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 9 (total: 297)
    Karate March challenge:
    Sit-ups: 500 (total: 14500)

6. Nachi

Thursday 31th March

Had too much work and worked hard to be able to make it to karate. In the end, I wasn't.
    I did a little bit of solo training - finishing the last 13 kicking sequences, mostly during the time it took for my lunch pasta to cook. And did the last 500 sit-ups throughout the day.
    Sett wasn't feeling too well and skipped karate, too, so later in the evening we went for a 6 km walk.

Taiji March challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 13 (total: 310)
    Karate March challenge:
    Sit-ups: 500 (total: 15000)

So I barely just finished the Taiji challenge of 310 kicking sequences and 10 spear forms.

As for the karate challenge, I didn't do too well in kata, but that was my plan. I couldn't pull of both Taiji forms and Karate kata. I did, however, win our dojo's sit-ups challenge. I kept doing at least 400 sit-ups a day. At some point one person caught up to me and anohter overtook me. But I didn't feel like competing with large numbers as that would push the competition to where no one would want it to be. I kept my steady pace and slowly got to the leading spot. When I did and there was like only 10 days left, I planned to work hard for a few days to get a number people would be discouraged to try to catch up to and I did 700-1250 squats a day 5 days in a row. And as expected, I lost competition and nobody even tried to push it anymore. Just as planned :D I decided to go for my final goal of 15 000 sit-ups in March. I did 7 500 push-ups in February, so I thought doubling the number would be nice. And I just finished :) The second place is 10 000.

7. Nachi

Friday 1st April

Did nothing today, except for 3 kicking sequences. We finiwhed the March Taiji challenge, but my friend was of the opinion we shouldn't stop, which, well, he's right. So, instead of at least lowering the numbers a bit since we both barely finished it, we added stuff. I was for doing sword, but was thinking maybe instead half of the kicks, but no, my friend basically just added the sword. So we're going for:

Taiji April Challenge
    Kicking sequence
    - 300 (well, at least 250 after my protests)
    Sword form - 300 (the first five moves or however many I know at the time)
    Spear form - 10 (whole form

8. Nachi

Saturday 2nd April

I didn't sleep that well today, less then 6 hours. I was tired and my head was hurting quite a bit in the morning, but I still pushed for solo Taiji training, since I needed to catch up with the challenge. My head was spinning a bit shortly after I started, too, but it soon passed.
    Actually I wasn't taking many breaks, saw that my HR was quite high and instead of taking a lot of breaks and taking a long time, I decided to push it a bit. I was trying to kick high and strong, when I felt stretched enough, I was also practicing the jump kick properly (when at hope I usually don't jump). My average HR was getting higher and I was feeling better and better and felt like pushing myself. In the end I did more sequences then originally planned and also practiced Dragon on the ground a bit.
    This has to be one of my sessions with the highest average HR. There's actually probably a chance that it is the highest average HR session. Or at least one lasting over and hour. I didn't even feel like stopping, but just decided to stop and my jumping kick inthe last sequence was a bit sloppy, which I decided was due to being tired.
    Also I was trying to improve HIgh patting on horse with the corrections from last week. I found it hard still, but in the very last try, I didn't focus much anymore and it actually suddenly went very smoothly. That must be it! So I drilled the move a few times at least.

upload_2022-4-2_9-59-56.png

Taiji April challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 34 (total: 37)
    Sword form: 23 (total: 23)
    Spear form: 0 (total: 0)

9. Nachi

Saturday 2nd April
    In the evening we went for a walk - 4,5 km.

Sunday 3rd April

Karate - advanced class
    A friend fron a small faraway dojo was in the city and asked sensei for a training as he's getting ready for his dan grading. Sensei invited any other blackbelt to join, too, but there aren't that many and out of those who had time, Sett isn't feeling well, so only I went. It was a technical class - we went through San Dan Gi Ichi to Go, All kata for Shodan and bunaki for Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni and Saifa. The focus was on the friend, rather than me, so for bunkai, I was attacking more than training the defence. We also worked on Renzoku kumite. It's been ages since I practiced it... we did in a class not long ago, but only the first part. I messed up the attacker on the fist try. I was able to remember the second time, but I had trouble with one technique. We'd always been doing it with hand on solar, but not long before covid it was changed to hand in hikite. I couldn't get it right no matter what as I was focusing on the other techniques, too. It's twice in there and I often realised I did it worng the first time and focus hard of the second. But as I did, I someotime made a different mistake in between. Oh well... The defending side went better.
    At the end, although we didn't go through all we wanted to, we finished with all the kata for Shodan and both versions of Sanchin, in one go. Sensei told us we won't be getting breaks and should go all out to test if the friend can pull it without getting out of breath. I did the kata faster, couldn't get the other't tempo. I didn't feel out of breath, really, but the friend asked for a break just before Sanchin, which is hard to do when one is breathing hard. I was a little surprised, but then I learned he had covid several weeks ago and he gets out of breath easily. So that was why. Hopefully he'll be able to recover completely before the grading. But there's still time.
    It was a nice training. But I found out I got rusty with these things we don't train much in classes right now. I didn't feel too well about how I did :/ I should practice more, but I really struggle with time now.
    Nearly 2 hours, 767 kcal.

10. Nachi

Monday 4th April

Karate kids
    Sett was still not feeling well enough, yet, so I taught the classes alone today. Played games with kids for a warm up. The second of which was to push everyone out of a red square 3x3 m. A boy bit his lip. There was, well, more blood than expected, so I had him fill his mouth with cold water. After third water session the blood finally stopped.
    We then did bodyweight and other exercises in pairs, kicks and briefly went over the steps of Gekisai dai Ichi, mosty only working on embusen - stances.

Karate adults
    As for adults I started with a game of tag, too, with 10 burpees in the middle. I wanted people to raise heart rate and push them a bit with Sanchin kata immediately after. It is hard go do when out of breath, but on the other hand one can go according to their own pace. I asked if everyone was feeling dizzy, luckily they seemed alright. I had people make pairs and I paired up with the youngest boy. But he said he wasn't feeling too well, so I had him drink and sit down. He didn't seem to want to join even after quite a while, despite looking ok, so I let him go next room with better air, where his mom was. He did not come back.
    We did again some bodyweight and kicking exercises in pairs. I was left without a partner, but tried to do stuff on my own if possible, if I wasn't going around helping people. I had a partner available later when another teenager wanted to sit down, not feeling well. I didn't think or realize the training was that tough. BUt the boy rejoined after a short rest.
    For the last 30 mins I quickly taught the steps of both sides of Renzoku kumite Gekisai dai Ichi with no time left to try in pairs. I had a fun activity for the end. It was one I stumbled upon in this log of mine. One that I suffered from years ago. I could now make one of the two present girls "suffer" instead :D I only picked one of those as I needed someone quite petite, but strong and no one else really fit that. We all made a circle, arms on shoulders of the people next \nd everyone standing in shiko dachi. I had the girl climb my back and make a full circle without touching the ground, climbing zig zag. Meaning she started on my back, but had to climb from the front of the next person, then on the back on the other, etc. There were I think at least nine people. And she made it! I remember this exercise is very hard for the climber, but teh girl, I believe is nimble and strong and she did a pretty good job :)

After class, I went briefly through Sanseru kata and bunkai and Tensho. Yesterday, sensei told me to give him a call in the evening when I'm with Sett. We did and sensei said we probably have an idea what he wanted to say. Well, no, we had none at all. Sensei told us he'd like us to do Nidan grading. We already passed the waiting period last summer and I knew sensei brought it up before, talking about maybe next year in Okinawa, which is still quite far away. But now he said we could grade at the closest and our first post-covid onternational gasshuku in Slovakia exactly two months from now o_O
    We have an unwritten rule in our association that dan grading isn't done by our senseis, but by senior IOGKF instructors (now 8th dan and above) at international seminars. Grading so soon scared us. It's fairly close and we didn't train the more advanced kata and bunkai much lately :/ Sett has, however, trouble with the knee and he'll have to confirm with a doctor first and decide, but it's something on the table now. On one hand, I'd like to go for it, but I am worried it's quize soon. We'd have to focus on drilling the technical stuff now. Just when I decided to join an art contest with four months till deadline, but with about four months of work wuth my amount of free time...

11. Nachi

Tuesday 5th April

Morning Taiji
    I went through the spear form once before class, but then chatted with the others.
    In class we did wuji meditation, the whole form, briefly reviewed Cloud Hands and High Patting on Horse, then we continued with the following kicks. One person was learning them and we practiced them across the gym several times. We started practicing without hands, which I found harder. Then we added hands, but I struggled to let the motion flow. I think I do better in the form normally. I tried to clear my mind and do it faster to help me do it in one movement, but it didn't help too much. I also got two corrections about knee position and hand movement. And I felt it genarally lacked. I need to practice more, there's much to improve.

12. Nachi

Tuesday 5th April

Taiji kung-fu
    We started with meditation and silk reeling with fajins. A little shorter today. Then we practiced push hands as usual. I was with my usual partner today. She started using a bit more strength, which was great, I fully supported that. I tried to figure out some mistakes I was doing and did my best to keep a good structure, which went better than usual maybe due to the pushing with a bit of force. We tried double handed, too. I have one problem there and can't figure out how not to lose strength there. My partner tried to help me and the teacher came by, too, watched and told me I am rotating my body too much (which I knew), and I'm not rotating the hands at all (oh, I was supposed to do that?!). Now that I think about it, it seems pretty obvious, but I didn't think in that direction before at all. I focused hard on that and although it was very very far from perfect, there indeed was some improvement in places that I couldn't do too well before! Yay!

Taiji sword
    The whole empty handed form at the beginning, the teacher practicing with us, so I did my best not to take my eyes off him and tried my best to imitate. Unfortunately, there seemed to be differences :D
    We then did the basic sword exercises and added a new move. The teacher spent quite a while demonstrating close to me and I got two corrections as a result, which was much appreciated.

Lao Jia Yi Lu + applications
    Lao Jia Yi Lu - whole form at the beginning.
    Today we were going to practice applications of the first two moves - mostly the second, which we tried in in pairs. The teacher pointed me to a young woman. I felt bad the moment I saw her. She was shorter than me and the exercise was about me gripping her wrists and pushing her passively, just by leaning forward with feet together so that I am easy to take off balance. I apologized to her in advance that I was heavy. It took not too long before I heard back something like "No kidding." ....
    It went exactly along the lines I imagined. She started shaking the moment I leaned on her and she changed position a tiny bit - she was supposed to turn. By doing that, however, and especially when turning too much, she'd make me lean forward more and we both just tried out best not to fall. I really didn't want to fall on her, so I gripped her wrists tightly without realizing, trying to stabilize myself. That made it harder for her to do the technique an she also worried about bruises. I did my best focusing on not gripping her too tightly and it went a bit better. But that was probably the only help I could offer in my passive role and it was still a struggle. Thankfully both the teacher and an instructor stopped by and offered advice also by taking her position and demonstrating. That way I at least got to experience it on my own when the teacher showed us, as we didn't change roles with my partner before the time for practice ended.
    It was said we may get back to it next time. Although I felt a bit bad, I enjoyed working on the applications. I'd welcome if we could do that more often :)

Taiji April challenge:
    Kicking sequence: 11 (total: 48)
    Sword form: 5 (total: 28)
    Spear form: 1 (total: 1)

axelb likes this.
  13. Nachi

Wednesday 6th April

Taiji - assisting
    I came a bit early again, since I already finished work and had nothing to do. I joined the group practicing 14 moves for a bit.
    When the next class started, we did meditation and silk reeling. I then did the first 25 moves with the more advanced group, then the teacher joined both groups to explain and demonstrate the application for the first two moves. In the last 10 mins I practiced those moves with the less advanced group.

axelb likes this.
  14. Nachi

Thursday 7th April

Sensei called in the afteroon he won't make it today for the children class, but should come for the adults as the local mayor wanted to discuss something about Ukrainian refugees. There was really no one else to stand in, so I went, despite the children class not really fitting into my work schedule today. I'll have to work late after return...

Karate Kids
    I came late as there was an accident causing troubles with electricity and the tram drove at a walking pace. I just needed to go to the next stop to catch a bus, though. Well, I came late, but not too much.
    We did a warm-up and Junbi Undo, then I wanted to practice a basic kihon ido combination. We started with step and punch, but even that didn't work too well, so we worked on it, later added gyaku tsuki qnd a lower stance -zenkutsu dachi, which was a struggle for most. After warm-up luckily the children quieted down, except for some troublemakers, who did a lot of push-ups today.
    A game at the end.

Karate adults
    I started adult class with a game of stone, paper, scissor, with each round one person representing their team. The losers would do 10 push-ups or 10 squats or whatever the winning team came up with.
    Sensei still didn't come even after Junbi Undo, so we practiced four basic kicks. Each kick easy pace and full power at gedan or chudan height, then jodan for those who could or felt like it.
    In the second half of the class we reviewed Renzoku kumite I taught on Monday. We went through each side about 6 times, then tried in pairs, which I thought might be easier, but wasn't, so we took it slower and only went up to the first 8 steps.
    As I promised on Monday, at the end we did the same game with the second girl trying. However, she was definitely bigger than the one on Monday and unlike before there were some smaller younger boys, whom she couldn't climb over, so she didn't make it. We therefore had one of the boys try and he climbed around the full circle on second try, though he did look very exhausted afterword. He did a good job, though! :)

15. Nachi

I didn't do anything Friday - Sunday except for a short walk on Sunday. Planned garden work, but it was raining, freezing and hailing, so not much was done.
    Also there's an art contest I'm going to participate in and it's a topic I enjoy, so I spent a good part of the weekend doing that. It'll take a lot of my time, I suppose, in the coming four months. Because if that, I slacked with home training...

Monday 11th April

Karate Kids
    Game at the beginning, Junbi Undo and Kihon ido - I continued where we left off last week.

Karate adults
    Sensei surprisingly arrived today and took over the class. We planned to continue working on Renzoku kumite, which was basically sensei's plan too. He had us do a lot of techniques involved in Renzoku kumite at the beginning, which was quite exhausting. Then Sett and I were allowed to practice by ourselves to the side - our task was to work on Sanseru and Tensho katas. Sensei expressed again he'd like us to grade in June and we basically gave a yes to that and so we practiced the two new katas for this grading. I have a lot of things I need to work on. Mostly, though, I simply need to work on the kata to do it more naturally without thinking about everything. I didn't have a very good feeling about how I did, but I think it was indeed mostly due to lack of practice. I should be spending this two months working on Karate at home mostly (and working out), I am thinking of giving up our Taiji challenge for that reason. Even together with the art contest, it'll keep me rather busy... And there are many busy weekends in these two months - both Karate and Taiji seminars, too.

Before today's class, a grandfather of one of our new teenage students, arrived. It wasn't anything surprising, he often comes to watch the classes, but he was without his grandson today. He pardoned his grandson, who was ill, but he still came to give us a present for Easter. Similar to what he gave us for Christmas - it was a salami in a shape and packed in a clothes with a printed owl. Wow, it was very original and very nice. He's so kind. There's absolutely no reason to give us anything, and he even specifically came for that. It's so nice. I feel a bit bad, though, for not having anything to give in return...

cloudz and axelb like this.
  16. Nachi

Tuesday 12th April

Morning Taiji
    I came a bit earlier, but the large room was occupied and so I didn't practice spear, only chatted with a friend.
    We did the whole form after meditation, then worked on Cloud Hands, High patting on horse and the two following kicks. Today I was watched as I got corrections for all three. When I tried to do the Cloud hands according to the correction, it finally felt like the movement worked! Yay. The mistake I'm making there is the one I have in silk reeling in general and do probably throughout the form. Most if the class was spent on the kicks. That was good, I need to improve those, too.

axelb likes this.
  17. Nachi

Tuesday 12th April

Taiji kung-fu

I arrived late today, and ran for a bit from the tram, to not be too late. I met my usual pish hands partner i the changing room. I changed quickly, but she still took her time to do plenty of stuff. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her each time she went to do something else. Well, she had a point that no matter how much I roll my eyes, I'd still have to wait for her either here or in the gym. I tried to argue how I ran here to come asap, but she happily said: "Great, than at least now you have a chance to catch your breath, don't you?" -_-
    We arrived about 20 mins late and practiced push hands all the remainder of the class.

Taiji sword
    The whole Lao Jia Yi Lu the beginning. I enjoyed it today.
    Then we did the basic sword exercises and practiced the beginning of the form and added one move toward the end of the class. It was cut into several parts for efficient xplanation, but I xuln't figure the rhytm very well. It all seemed strange. I'll have to try a few more times. It should eventually look like a pretty nice cut :)

Lao Jia Yi Lu
    Whole form at the beginning, then a standard class practicing the part around Fair Maiden Works the Shuttles.

axelb likes this.
  18. Nachi

Wednesday 13th April

Ugh, a couple of weeks ago a tram taking me straight to Taiji started taking another route and now I have to go all the way around, so one way takes me an hour, and it's not even nearly as far as karate is. And I just learned it's because of a bridge reconstruction, which won't be finished until next May :/
    I am really looking forward to hopping on my bike again, that'll take me like 15-20 mins. Finally, after a few weeks of waiting I was able to take my bike to a service today! I wasn't going to ride it before as I fell last year and now I feel it's all wobbly and I decided not to ride it until I get a new pneu. The original owner did change it, but I had rode them for over 10 000 km since then and not sure how much the original owner did before. Today I learned the lifespan of pneu is somewhere between 4000-5000 km depending on the style of riding, ehm.... :oops: I'll also have new brakes as I was told to a year ago by a technician and I am hoping the ride will feel completely different now and I'll be able to get everywhere fast :D Unfortunately they still only jut ordered the brakes at the service, so I have to wait for another week, but I am still a bit excited about it :D

Taiji - assisting
    I led wuji meditation and silk reeling, for the first time this year outside on a terrace.
    Then I went through the 25 moves twice with the advanced group as usual. The teacher then explained applications and the first part of the third move for both of the groups and I then practiced that with the beginners

cloudz likes this.
  19. Nachi

Thursday 14th April

Karate
    Sensei taught a class outside on the school grounds. I arrived a bit late and joined as they were playing football. I joined just when a team got a goal and I was told to join them, so I started with 10 push-ups as a penalty for that goal -_- I thought this team should have been weaker, but it turned out this was the only goal they got, while they had a higher score. In the end we won 10-2, but not by my merit...
    Later in the class we practiced the 4 basic kicks, did them to pads and practiced Gekisai Dai Ichi for a while.
    All was fine, but my pollen allergy set off, so I started itching, sneezing, coughing and whatnot. I haven't been taking my pills this year, so far. I should start now.

We then went for a dinner. A newly joined guy listened to a girl who goes to the uni classes how it works there and said he'd like to come and take a look. I had bit of a nostalgic feeling, that I'd like to visit the old place and see an old friend, too, but it starts not too long before my Wednesday Taiji class, which I can't really skip. However, once I have my bike, I might be theoretically make it there for at least an hour, if I then quickly ride to the Taijii school. I might try that.

20. Nachi

So I was planning to practice and do gardening and go birding over the four free Easter days. However, I got a strong allergy after Thursday karate outside that gave me very runny nose and itchy... everything. For a couple of days, so I stayed inside. I was also coughing a bit, but I started feeling generally not well and got muscle aches and a higher temperature, too :/ So I pretty much stayed shut at home doing nothing. Well, at least I worked on my drawing project. On Monday we were supposed to hand out pamphlets of our dojo in Ukrainian to refugees at an event at a community center, but in the end I didn't go. Standing for two hours cooking was enough to make me not want to do anything more that day.

Tuesday 19th April
    Still slightly higher temperature, but allergy is gone and I feel better. I skipped morning Taiji, but thought I'd go to the sword class to not miss anything.

In the end I went to Taiji kung-fu as well.
    We practiced fajins in silk reeling, then push hands - for me with instructor L. I have many problems there, but I think I am getting better little by little. The head teacher went by and tried with me. He always pushes quite a bit, making me figure out how not to lose structure and how to work with the force. Instructor L started pushing a bit in the last few classes, too. She used to practice with basically no force at all, but now she says it is good to push a bit in order to feel the push properly, which I agree. She surprised me when she mentioned that the teacher basically doesn't push at all when she tries with him in private classes, so it's hard to feel. What? Well he surely pushes me. The teacher is big and strong, so he pushes much more than instructor L, in fact. Must be some miscommunication between them.
    Anyway I worked on a place I have trouble in. I feel like some changes helped, but it's certainly not perfect and I'm not sure if I'll remember those changes till next time.

Taiji sword

We started with Lao Jia Yi Lu, the teacher in front, his pace definitely faster than when just about anyone else is in the front, which I enjoyed :) I actually felt pretty good and my joints felt nicely loose, too. Just couldn't breathe well through my stuffy nose, but that was a minor issue.
    Then we did the basic sword exercises and practiced the sword form. I thought the move from last time might get more explanation, but didn't and we went straight onto the next. Which was flicking the sword and changing the direction, then jump and a "stab". We practiced that. In the last minute the teacher said for our home practice we can actually learn to jump right away and flick the sword and change the direction while jumping. It sounded nice and lively and I had a feeling this might be set as a goal for me. The teacher then decided: "Let's try quickly just once!" So we did. "Yes, that's it! Nachi, show to everyone!" Huh? My weak "nooo" was useless, so I just hoped I will get it right the second time, too... Sometimes I can just feel the teacher's intention. I so knew this was going to have something to do with me.

Taiji - Lao Jia Yi Lu
    I planned to skip this class. Thing was, I was feeling pretty good and felt like I might just do the whole form at the beginning, then leave. But as soon as we started, there was a sudden downpour outside, and I forgot my umbrella and didn't want my sword to get wet. So I stayed a bit longer. We did some application - first the teacher demonstrated, then we tried in pairs. I was an ideal partner for the only other woman in our group and since we started, I didn't want to leave in the middle, although the rain had already stopped. When we finished practicing in pairs, it was five mins before the end of class, so I thought I might as well stay....

I felt pretty good after practice, except for a slight back ache and knee ache no doubt caused by whatever cold I had cought. I still find it weird that I tend to get some strange cold just when I get my allergy. Last year I had first fever, then higher temperature the whole of June just after getting allergy and I had absolutely no other symptoms of anything. Makes me wander if this can be something to do with auto-immunity? I should probably go and see the immunologist. I am running out of pills anyway.

axelb likes this.