Myofascial release -real or gimmick

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Theidiot, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

I'm constantly hurting myself. Usually some muscle or other feels knotted and tight and painful. All part of training I guess.

Recently I came across the concept of myofascial release. It goes like this. Muscle suffers minor injury. Muscle locks in spasm to protect itself from further injury. Spasm puts such force on specific points that blood flow is impeded and further injury becomes inevitable.

Myofascial release theory goes that by applying huge direct pressure to the knot or point of spasm, you force it to release, and muscles fibres realign.

This is the concept with foam rollers and the old lacrosse ball.

I'm not one to take the first thing I read as gospel. I research such things. It seems the jury is out in the science world. So what do people think? I'm sure everyone here has experienced muscle injury.

I've tried the whole thing. It knacks briefly, then feels good, but is that because good has been done, or because I've simply inflicted enough pain to deplete the chemical that sends the pain signal?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

It's pretty much a DIY lite version of a deep tissue massage. Go along the direction of muscle fibers, possibly while actively lengthening them through your own movement, and good things will happen. Try to press on connective tissue or in random directions on a muscle belly and it'll most likely only hurt a lot and not do much. You'll know if you've gotten an individual knot to release because the bundle of fibers that's derpy will "jump" (fasciculation). May hurt for a day or two afterwards similarly to exercise-derived soreness the first couple of times if it was a severe case, usually diminishes with time, but you need to do it regularly. It's a fix, not a cure, so in the long run regular stretching and mobility work, and if possible avoiding whatever made the muscle tight to begin with, need to be done just as much, if not more.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I love the foam roller, but there are other things you can use, such as a tennis ball.

Loads of tips, videos and links in this thread.

Also we have threads on the foam roller here.

Tips on myofascial self release here.

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The idea of "myfascial release" seems to be basically nonsense, but foam rolling my back seems to work as a cheaper variant of whatever regular massage does (which is not very well scientifically understood in itself).

5. liero

liero Valued Member

I say get on board.

I've been doing all sorts of rehab since I was told that my chronic hip pain that was limiting performance could be addressed through muscular/soft tissue work.

Physio
    Foam foller
    Elastic bands
    Tennis/Lacrosse/Cricket Balls
    Hell, lately I've been going to a chinese medicine clinic for accupunture and this strange myofacial release where they use a rough sided object to release the back.

It has ALL been effective. Notably in conjunction with regular, planned exercise.