My Videos

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by EmilM, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I trained with some excellent Muay Thai lads for a few sessions, and when you do pad work with them, they hit you with the pads in before, during and after your combination -sometimes kick you too! It's catches you out at first, but you soon develop much better reactions, and a much more "alive" approach to pad work.

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

The van is just a decoy - I'm actually in your attic.

What do you think of trapping per se? I mean, I like trapping, as in, I like training trapping - it feels nice and flowy and it looks uber fast and all...but....

...a lot of it just seems really over-fussy to me. Simpler traps, block and punch... yeah, I dig that - just, those multi move traps, I just wonder, who could they ever be used on other than someone who just stands there? What if they don't just stand there taking fifty shots?

And I wonder if they really do train useful attributes beyond a certain point. Like, some trapping training, sure, good for reactions and some circumstances. But to make it an over all martial art... I dunno... I don't see why I would expend so much energy on movement, hitting twenty times when one good, solid hit would use less energy.

A lot of trapping just seems designed for dealing with numpties.

Anyway, I had an image of that hippy offering Emile a joint, and Emile like totally over reacting, trapping him up, slapping about fifty times.... Then the hippy offering him a brew, EMile going nuts, fifteen pressure point strikes in three seconds.... Then the hippy holds out a hand in peace, Emile snaps his fingers off with an elbow..

And then Bruce Lee comes in and says "Hippies don't hit back..."

That just made me laugh. There again, I have a fight with a tree in one of my videos, so I can talk... ha ha...

3. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

nice speed in that last one emil

4. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

I actually like these vids though, as they make me feel really really good about where I'm training at the moment.

5. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Had me woried there a minute... last thing I need is more jail time.... but.... now that I know what you're doing up there in my attic, now that I know "your source" for that phylosophical mumbo jumbo that set off Empress as it did, well, I guess you can stay in my attic a little longer. Heh, heh, very soon, you will come to a whole new meaning for the word trapped, ur, trapping.

6. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Although trapped in your attic, I have one match. So sleep well, my friend, sleep well...

7. EmilM

EmilM Valued Member

Likewise.

You mean pak sao, bong sao, parries, traps and locks? All things that Bruce Lee was doing, I wouldn't have expected a 2nd generation teacher to call such things "pattty cake", although that would depend on who taught you such a mindset.

All just labels. Bruce Lee wanted us all to express ourselves honestly and always try to learn new things, we have no right telling other martial artists to limit themselves, everyone has a right to follow their own path. As the respectable Guru Dan Inosanto says:

"The beauty of truth is that each path has its own song, and if you listen closely you will find where you belong. So climb your own path true and strong, but respect all other truths for your way for them could be wrong."

Thank you everyone for your comments. The days of actually meeting other practitioners to asses their skills first hand are long over I feel. At all the public events I attend like Seni and so forth, and from all the martial artists I happen upon in my day to day life, I have not met with any criticism of my martial arts. It is only online that people speak their minds and have the courage to say what they feel it seems. I'm sure some of you have seen me in person but not had the courage to come and talk or practise with me, but rather hide away and look at the back of my head with dissapproving eyes. That shouldn't be the case, I am not a violent person and get on with everyone whether they like my martial arts or not, we are all human beings and their is more to us than simply how we punch or kick.

A picture, or for that matter a video clip, speaks more volume than simple words at least. I look forward to seeing others follow my example by showing their own interpretation of Jeet Kune Do or their own street-wise system to the rest of us rather than simply judging everyone else and hiding behind a rank or belt.

As I said I am still learning and understand I have weaknesses as well as strengths as do we all. These clips are by no means a substitution for the real thing but I find them more honest than simply writing 'I can do such and such', better to at least let people see some of what you do and let them be the judge. I have no problems with criticism as long as it is constructive and the critiquer can back up their 'put-downs'. As I said if you do not agree with what I do and are adament to share that with the world then you should at least share what you do as well so we can all make a fair comparison. It is like a scientist conducting a test and showing their results and another scientist outrightly disagreeing with their findings without giving any of their own evidence or tests results.

I am very grateful to all who watch my videos, thank you to those who have enjoyed watching them as well. I will continue to train hard and develop my own personal style just as the late master Bruce Lee wanted for all of us. Bruce Lee truly was the best: power, speed and smarts far beyond what I could ever achieve, he and his family have my utmost respect.
    Kind regards, EM.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Christ sake, turn the taps off, Emile.

9. EmilM

EmilM Valued Member

I agree with you, I tell all my students that we train 1000 traps but in the street it is that 1 trap that counts, and only if the situation calls for it of course. I am a fan of trapping and believe in its' effectiveness for real combat but my whole universe does not centre around it, trapping is 1 of many, many things a situation might call for. It is important to adapt and respond depending on the beat of the fight.

I try to follow every trap with at least 1 hit so even if I am doing several traps I am applying a strike with the alternate hand every chance I get. Where I am doing several traps this really is just for training purposes of course my hope is that after I trap and strike the opponent first time round he won't be able to throw another punch. Really it's all just training, in the street it should all come down to that 1 hit to do the job, that's what I believe, or in the best case scenario not even have to trap but still not be so brash as to strike first. Hitting someone who hasn't inititated physical violence themselves is a delicate matter and one I will always try to avoid. If you train your speed and reflexes constantly (trapping drills help) then you should never need to throw the first punch I feel.

And at the end of the day you may come across an opponent who isn't immediately fazed by your leg stomp or straight lead, he may throw something else at you then what are you going to do? You need to have the relfexes to respond straight away, if your first attack doesn't work and you end up in that trapping range it's good to know your body can respond and deal with he new threat automatically. Trapping is very versatile I feel and combined with good muscle memory it can save your behind.
    Kind regards, EM.

10. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Best of luck to you.

11. jeff00

jeff00 New Member

Well on Emil's website he states that he is Certified by Clive Mckenzie esq in JKD - at Instructor Level (one of Guru Dan Inosanto early students from the 1970's)
    Why he wouldnt say that I don't know.

12. kungfudoctor

kungfudoctor Free Kung Fu for all

i would of expected better from you than to bite. i dont know why honestly people are in a way hero worshipping you ive seen a lot better and please dont take offense , whats your secret as to become so respected ?

apologies for bad english im still learning im from china newish to UK

13. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

So EM,
    The people that taught me are all 1st Generation, from BL's 1st Student Jeese Glover to Ted Wong and all the guys in between, The first person was Dan Inosanto as well....So you are saying some of my teacher's BLS and me don't know what we are talking about?.....Once again you have no clear understanding of what Jeet Kune Do is even about.....You are a fraud trying to pawn yourself off having knowledge in something you don't......People such as yourself are a disgrace not only to young people that want to learn from someone that understand, but as well to BL himself.

From your first statement above it clearly shows you are a begainner at best..(You said: You mean pak sao, bong sao, parries, traps and locks?).....Its funny you lefted out the most simplest part, HITTING......Because if you did, you would have understand what I was talking about "Patty - Cakes"......You can regurtutate what other‘s have wrote, to make you point…..But it still at the end of the day doesn’t prove what I’m saying here.....Clearing shows you don’t have an understanding of the subject matter at hand…..If you think I’m some punk that is giving you are hard time, you are wrong…..I will always state my case, when their is someone trying to rip off the public when it comes to Jeet Kune Do……I’m pointing out facts, for some poor soul doesn’t come to train with you thinking their getting JKD from someone legit, when they are not getting what they paid for......This isn't about telling other martial artists to limit themselves......This is about exposing a fraud that is in just for the money off BL's name, plain and simple....But I understand from watching you in action, that you are just at the begining stage, if that.....So all and all, fess up you are no JKD instructor......If fame and money is what you are after, than my friend open up a pizzera......

EM said: I have not met with any criticism of my martial arts. It is only online that people speak their minds and have the courage to say what they feel it seems. I'm sure some of you have seen me in person but not had the courage to come and talk or practise with me, but rather hide away and look at the back of my head with dissapproving eyes.

I'm not criticing your martial arts and you know that.....I'm pointing out the FACTS, you are not a Instructor in Jeet Kune Do. Still work on your personal STYLE as you have said, but don't call it JKD, my friend. :rolleyes:
    You are welcome to come to my school and see Jeet Kune Do first hand to compare what you think is JKD and what I have learn from all of BL's students I've trained with and my understanding of "IT", this is how it's really done in JKD.

So , if you want to be a JKD, fined an instructor to learn from.....That is my advice to you..... :bang:

Keep "IT" Real,
    Sifu John McNabney (2nd Gen. JKD Instructor)

14. kungfudoctor

read my signature it is so true

15. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Video response please, Sifu John!

16. Motd

Motd Valued Member

Lol, JKD is about finding your own style and making it your own, as Bruce Lee said, Jeet Kune Do is just a name. If you still don't know this, I suggest you stop teaching.

17. kungfudoctor

exactly again i reiterate read my signature i have nothing more to say or add to what bruce had to say

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

Simplicity does know his stuff and you all can and should learn from him!!!

19. kungfudoctor

no dought he knows his stuff definatly. i have nothing but respect for anyone who is willing to do any kind of training.

20. The Furious One

The Furious One Valued Member

John is bang on yet again, always enjoy reading your posts thanks for keep IT real for everyone.

MOTD, you fail to understand the whole issue, and that quote.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008